Chapter I

Tell Me the Truth (You Can't Lie to Me)

Hitomi checked the clock every minute, tapping her foot impatiently. She sat there on their couch, waiting for Yujin to come home. “She should have been here 45 minutes ago.” Hitomi grumbled, checking her phone to see if Yujin texted her. Nothing. The candles on the table were burned all the way down, the food that Hitomi worked so hard on was long cold. 

Hitomi bought a nice new dress for the special occasion, along with a pair of heels. She not only wore her new outfit, but spent another hour in front of the mirror doing her hair and make up to look especially nice. When it was clear Yujin wasn’t going to be home anytime soon, Hitomi changed into sweats and a t-shirt. She removed her make-up and put her hair into a ponytail. Her efforts spent on the night disappeared. 

Finally, after an infuriating two hour wait, Hitomi could hear the front door unlocking. Soon after, Yujin came through with a bag of chinese food. She was dressed in her work clothes, her tie loosened around her neck. “Babe! I got some food on the way home--” 

“Where the hell were you?” Hitomi interrupted, clenching her teeth in an attempt to prevent herself from exploding. 

“I went out after work…” Yujin said, cowering at a pissed Hitomi. She could smell the subtle scent of alcohol on her breath. This just fueled Hitomi’s anger even further. 

“Why didn’t you come home? We planned this a week in advance.” Hitomi raised her voice slightly. Yujin gave her a blank stare and Hitomi sighed. “You forgot didn’t you.” Yujin looked at her even more puzzled. She pulled out her phone, and handed it to Yujin, pointing at the date. “It’s October 29th.” 

Hitomi watched as realization rushed upon Yujin’s face. “Oh . Our anniversary.” She mumbled, clenching her eyes shut and pulling at her own hair in frustration. 

“Our 5 year anniversary, may I add.” Hitomi crossed her arms. She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. “I don’t know what’s going on inside your head Yujin, if anything is happening at all.” Hitomi could feel the anger rising in her chest, waiting to explode. It was suffocating, it felt as if someone was squeezing her heart in her chest. Her breathing became heavier as her body’s attempt to calm her down. Hitomi needed to leave and she needed to now.  She quickly gathered her purse and put on her shoes. “I need some time.” 

“Hitomi, don’t do this.” Yujin said, reaching for Hitomi’s wrist. Remorse was written across Yujin’s face, and for a moment Hitomi hesitated to actually leave. 

But she couldn’t be around Yujin at the moment. Hitomi is weak for her charms and she knows Yujin would have no problem getting Hitomi back into bed with her. “Don’t.” She said, moving her body further away. Yujin needed to know how much her forgetting their anniversary hurt her. And if words couldn’t get through to her, maybe actions will. “Let me be right now. I’ll be back later.” 

“I love you. I’m sorry.” Yujin called after Hitomi, right as she closed the door behind her. Hitomi’s heart clenched. I love you too, Yujin. 





Hitomi walked along the sidewalk next to their local park, stopping momentarily to watch a couple of young boys play a game of basketball together. Despite her best effort, Hitomi’s mind kept wandering back to Yujin. Sure, she was too harsh on her, but Hitomi was getting frustrated with her girlfriend. They’ve been dating for five years now, and Yujin still struggles to remember important dates for them. It frustrates Hitomi to no end. 

I deserve better than this… Hitomi thinks to herself, before lightly shaking her head to rid herself of those thoughts. She feels guilty for even thinking that. She loves Yujin, and she isn’t going to throw away their relationship. Not without good reason. 

“Heads up!” Someone yelled seconds before Hitomi felt something hit her head.






Hitomi groaned as she sat up, rubbing her temples. Her head was pounding and she felt some small stitches. Surrounding her were machines and white walls. Hitomi grimaced as the strong sanitized smell reached her nose. She hated the smell of hospitals. 

The door opened and a nurse came in. “Oh! You’re awake now. How are you feeling?” 

“My whole body hurts, especially my head.” She watched as the nurse flipped through some papers on her clipboard. “What happened?” 

“Kids were playing around and pelting basketballs at each other. One missed and hit your head, causing you to fall and hit the pavement.” She said, writing some stuff down. “ kids.”

“I agree, but you shouldn’t swear in front of patients.” Hitomi said. 

The nurse dropped her pen in shock. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize I said that out loud!” 

Hitomi waved her hand in dismissal. “It’s ok!” 

The nurse cleared . “I-It’s possible you could have a concussion so play it safe for a while. If you show any symptoms please contact us.” She handed Hitomi some paperwork with a load of medical mumbo-jumbo on it. Hitomi’s head still hurt so she didn’t even bother to strain herself by attempting to read it.  “I was told your girlfriend is waiting outside. I’ll go let her know she can come in.” 

Moments later, Yujin rushed into the room, her eyes b with tears. “Babe! I’m so glad you’re ok. I’m so sorry, this was all my fault.” She cried, peppering Hitomi’s face with kisses before placing one on her lips. “I’m never letting anything hurt you again.” 

Hitomi furrowed her brows in confusion, pulling away from Yujin. She definitely heard her speak but that was impossible. was...occupied. She thought it was odd, but maybe she was just hearing things. Yujin moved to lay on top of Hitomi, nuzzling her face into her shoulder. “Even when you’re in a hospital you still smell good.” Yujin mumbled, the vibration from her voice against Hitomi’s neck sent a chill down her spine. 

“Thank you sweetheart.” Hitomi said, petting her head. 

“The nurse said we can go home. We just have to check you out.” She said, pulling herself up and off of Hitomi. “I’ll go let them know we’re ready to leave now.” Yujin skipped out of the room, bright smile upon her face. 

Hitomi felt the corner of her own lips turn upwards at the sight. “It really is impossible to stay mad at her,” she sighed. Hitomi thought back to earlier when she swore she could hear Yujin say something as she kissed her. It was clear as day, and there was no one else in the room so she didn’t hear it from someone else. It was Yujin’s voice too, and she could recognize her voice even in her dreams. Maybe I can read minds. Hitomi laughed at her own thought, shaking her head at how ridiculous the idea sounded. Sure, it made no sense that she heard Yujin speak but reading minds? This is real life, not some supernatural world. 

Yujin came back into the room with a wheelchair in tow. “I don’t need that.” Hitomi pouted, as she stood up to prove her own point. 

“I know, babe. You’re the strongest person I know.” Yujin kissed Hitomi’s crown and pushed the wheelchair a little closer. “But doctor’s orders.” Hitomi sighed, plopping down into the wheelchair and crossing her arms. Yujin rolled Hitomi out to the waiting room. “I’ll be right back. Just gotta run to the bathroom.” 

Hitomi didn’t have her phone on her, so she did the only other thing she knew of to pass the time--people watching. She watched a lady whose hands were clasped together, eyes squeezed shut. It looked as if she was deep in prayer. The more Hitomi focused on her, the louder her voice became. “Please be alright. Please be alright. Please be alright.” She repeated, over and over. She was speaking considerably loud for a hospital waiting room at this point, but no one else said anything. She figured it’d be best if she went over there to let the lady know before someone else complains. As Hitomi was standing up, the lady unclasped her hands showing the bottom half of her face. Her lips weren’t moving, but Hitomi could hear her still speaking. Hitomi tore her eyes away from the woman to glance around the room to see if it was someone else she was hearing. But it was silent other than the noises coming from receptionist. 

Hitomi was confused. Maybe the damage to her head was worse than the doctor thought. She focused back on the woman and she could hear her voice again. Hitomi plopped back down in her wheelchair in shock, her face devoid of any color. 



She can read minds.



She doesn’t know how or why this happened but it did. It was something she had to learn to deal with. Her mind started to race with all the possibilities. Knowing people’s true feelings could help her with her sales and business abilities. It could improve her relationship with those around her. Hell, she could probably steal people’s credit card information. 

Hitomi scratched that idea. She’s not a criminal. 

Yujin skipped back over to Hitomi from her trip to the bathroom. When she noticed Hitomi’s face, her heart dropped. “Oh god, is she okay? Maybe it’s best if she stays here for tonight.” 

Hitomi shook her head. “I’m fine. I just stood up too quickly.” She lied, dismissing Yujin’s worries. 

Yujin still looked concerned, not believing Hitomi but shrugged it off and began wheeling Hitomi to the car. “I didn’t say anything though.” 

Hitomi gulped, before saying, “Your face spoke for you.” 



As they passed by people, Hitomi would occasionally hear their inner thoughts.

 

Some ice cream sounds good right about now.” 



“I wonder if it’s weird for me to enjoy the smell of hospitals…”



“God, I don’t have insurance. If this disease doesn’t kill me, this bill will.” 



As they passed by one young man, Hitomi noticed he kept his eyes on Yujin. “Oh, she’s hot.” Hitomi shot him a glare. 




It was certainly weird, knowing people’s inner thoughts. There was a lot of unnecessary info she was learning because of her new found ability. But damn, if Hitomi didn’t think it was super cool. 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

 

ayy. chaewon doesnt even make an appearance in this chapter but she will i Swear. also right after this im posting an update to my AU on twitter if youre interested in that~ @ausforizone