One

Loss

 

 

 

“Babe!” Sua’s voice rang out throughout the school halls and most of the students were used to this behaviour so they didn’t look.Though some onlookers that were enraptured by Sua’s beauty who was running down the hall. Sua was looking around for her girlfriend that always seems to disappear during lunch break. She huffed when she couldn’t locate her and gritted her teeth. Why is it so hard to remember to meet up at? Sua thought as tears built in her eyes as she cursed herself. A hand touched her shoulder and Sua jumped a little as she looked at the culprit.

 

“You do realize your girlfriend is outside sitting in the shade while gazing at the sky right?” Siyeon said as she looked at Sua’s disheveled state. 

 

“Is she really?” Sua’s confused voice came out as she seemed that she couldn’t remember having the information that her girlfriend was outside at all. “When was this stated?” Sua whispered out loud as she tried to recollect the time where she said it.

 

“Don’t you remember Jiu Unnie said that whenever it’s a beautiful day out she would rather be outside to bask in it’s beauty rather than wasting it inside a school cafeteria?” Siyeon informed Sua thinking that finals were getting to her. 

 

“Oh!” Sua realized as she smiled at Siyeon. “I remember that conversation,” She smiled as she grabbed Siyeon’s hand and began walking with her towards Jiu. “Thank you Siyeon for reminding me.” Siyeon only nodded as she was used to Sua’s weirdness.

 

As they walked Sua immediately spotted Jiu laying in the grass. When she was close enough Sua noticed that Jiu’s eyes were closed so she took that opportunity to lay beside her and just admire the peaceful looking Jiu that didn’t seem to have a care in the world at the moment. 

 

“What are you doing?” Jiu said after having a feeling that someone was watching her. She had her guesses and she was smiling regardless of who were creeper was. All she heard were giggles before opening her eyes to see Sua with a softened look on her eyes.

 

“Just watching a beautiful scene unfold before me,” Sua whispered as if she didn’t want to ruin it.

 

“Hey,” Jiu whispered as her smile was showing off her white teeth. Sua mirrored her smile and just tucked in a stray hair that was getting in the way of her girlfriends face. 

 

“Hey yourself, I was looking for you,” Sua responded as she rests her hand on the side of Jiu’s neck after her small gesture.

 

“Well you found me,” Jiu countered as no one made any thoughts of moving from their current position until someone coughed and ruined their moment.

 

“You do realize that lunch is about to end right?” Siyeon said as she got a glare from Sua for interrupting.

 

“I have free period after this,” Sua sat up and scoffed while Jiu sat up as well to calm her girlfriend down.

 

“I have class after lunch though so it’s good that Siyeon reminded us or else I might get a call to my parents that I was late for class.”

 

“Just one moment where I can have you all to myself without any interruptions would be wonderful though,” Sua grumbled but nodded at Jiu’s words.

 

“Okay, walk me to my locker and to class that way we can spend some more time together okay?” Jiu offered a solution and Sua nodded. They held hands and Sua loved the feeling but she also hated it. I wish things were different.

 


Couple days later...

Sua was in class waiting for school to dismiss that call until the teacher got a phone call.

 

“Sua, your mom is here to pick you up for your appointment,” Sua furrowed her eyebrows but didn’t protest to it. She packed her things up and left the class and towards her mom’s car.

 

“Mom?…” Sua started as she was confused about what the appointment was about.

 

“Yes, sweetie,” Her mom sweetly said as she began driving.

 

“Why am I going to the appointment again?” Sua questioned as she had no idea why she has an appointment today. That little statement made her mom grip the steering wheel and choked out a sob.

 

“I… I forgot to tell you about your regular check up. I just want you to be healthy and all. You know me being cautious,” She chuckled but Sua didn’t like how her mom was looking all sad and in pain.

 

“Mom, I’ll be alright. I’m as healthy as any other high school student,” Sua nudged here mom as she really didn’t like her this way. Her mom just smiled sadly.

 

“Y-you’re not healthy physically sweetie,” Her mom broke at her daughter’s concern. “Your sick and we need someone to make you all better,” She confessed but Sua was still confused.

 

“Am… am I dying?” Sua slowly said as she thought about it but her mom shook her head.

 

“No, sweetie you just have some memory issues. You seem to be losing them more and more at a time.” Sua slowly digested this information.

 

“Did I already know before today?” Sua had to ask and all her mom could do was nod as she watched the life drain from her daughter's eyes. “Does Jiu know about my illness?” She shook her head and Sua laughed. “Good… good… that’s okay I guess. She doesn’t have to suffer with me. Do you…,” Sua picked her fingers as she was getting nervous and worried. “Do you think she loves me as much as I do?” Sua asked trying to grasp onto some hope as everytime she was with Jiu she felt like something wasn’t right. 

 

“I hope so sweetie. I really do.” She replied as she parked the car in front of the hospital.

 

 

Sua arrived home and checked her phone for any messages but got none. She thought that it was weird that Jiu didn’t message her but she brushed it off as she remembered her conversation with her doctor and her mother. 

 

She walked into her room and all she wanted to do was jump onto her bed. She wanted today to be a nightmare but it wasn’t. It was making sense but something didn’t add up until she noticed that a notebook on her desk looked out of place. She shuffled out of her bed and took a look into her notebook. With widened eyes she in a breath and tears fell freely. She didn’t even try to stop them as she finally got the missing piece to her unease. 

 


“Hey, how come you and Jiu are distant these days?” Siyeon stated as she sat next to Sua who was gazing up at the sky.

 

“She said she was busy with some stuff and I don’t want to be a bother to her,” Sua shrugged as she read the latest text from Jiu saying that she was a bit too busy to hang. She took a drink of her strawberry milk and continued to look up at the sky while Siyeon sighed. 

 

“I worry about you, Sua Unnie. You don’t seem… you these days.” Siyeon sadly said as she felt like her best friend was slipping away from her. Sua looked at Siyeon for a second and gave her a reassuring smile.

 

“Nothing I can’t handle Siyeon,” She simply responded as she redirected the conversation to something else. 

 

“Okay, I’ll believe you just this once but if Jiu hurts you in anyway then Imma go make sure the nickname wolf comes true. I’ll tear her to pieces.” Siyeon growled while lifting her hands to make claws. Sua only laughed at her best friend’s weirdness.

 

“Thank you,” Sua sad as Siyeon smiled at her.

 

“Anything for you. Besides what are best friends for?” Siyeon chuckled.

 

“Oh you know gossip about how girls break their nails very so often of taking selfies.” Sua responded while Siyeon made a look of disgust.

 

“Queen, please you are better than that. You won’t steep that low of make best friends. That’s what friends are for best friends are so much better. Like giving relationship advice or you know… kidnap you just because your parents didn’t let you out of the house because you tripped on a tree root and slapped a baby in the face on the way to embracing the ground.” Siyeon specifically said as she recollected the memory. Sua looked at her confused at the memory as she couldn’t remember but smiled anyways.

 

“I told you not to bring it up. I’m embarrassed that it happened,” Sua lied smoothly hoping that her friend wouldn’t catch on.

 

“Come one you got to admit. The mother was pretty pissed even though she wasn’t looking after the poor child anyways.” Siyeon laughed as she saw Sua’s smile didn’t reach her eyes. Sua pouted and then her phone rang. It was her mom and she quickly picked it up. 

 

“Hello?.... Yeah…. Okay…. I know…. I’m with Siyeon right now…. I know I know… Yeah don’t worry about it…. I didn’t forget… Okay… bye.” Sua said as Siyeon couldn’t hear what was on the other side of the conversation. “My mom summoned me home.” Sua gave her a half-hearted smile and Siyeon frowned. “I got to get going,” Sua waved at Siyeon and left without a reply. 

 

Sua looked at her phone and there in her notifications remained a message she didn’t dare dismiss.

 

Jiu My Love: Hey I’m sorry I can’t make it to our date today. I’m a bit busy so next time okay?

Received 5 days ago

 

 

Sua looked at the address that was messaged in her phone and verified it with the house plate. She took a deep breath in and exhaled as she rang the doorbell. She gripped her notebook and waited until her girlfriend came out.

 

“Jiu,” She breathed out as Jiu looked breathless and her hair tousled.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jiu said in shock and confused. Sua smiled weakly and responded.

 

“I need to talk to you. Can I come in?” 

 

“NO!” Jiu shouted and Sua winced at the sudden outburst. “I.. mean you can’t my house,,, it’s very presentable at the moment.” Jiu quickly recovered. Sua nodded as she noticed that Jiu’s lips were a bit swollen and her perfume smelt different.

 

“Well, is it okay if we talk outside then? I’ll be really quick.” Sua responded as she seemed to be losing more and more of her memory so she needed to do this quickly.

 

“Uhm, yeah, sure.” Jiu said skeptically. 

 

“Did we break up?” Sua went straight to the point leaving Jiu a little bit shocked.

 

“N-no, we didn’t… what brought this on?”

 

“I feel like we are becoming more and more like strangers. We don’t talk anymore and I feel like I’m no longer your priority anymore.” Sua said but in reality she doesn’t remember Jiu at all. Her notebook said a lot of things about her but her memory was leaving her. It wasn’t just Jiu but everyone outside of her family. It was slowly going away like it never existed. Jiu placed a hand on Sua’s and gripped it.

 

“My queenie, I just been busy with work. You know how much I want to become independent from my family,” Jiu coaxed but Sua shook her head.

 

“I know,” Sua simply responded as Jiu’s heart fell to her stomach.

 

“K-know about what?” SHe couldn’t look at Sua in the eyes.

 

“That our relationship is just a game to you. To us. You love someone else and it’s clear as the sky you gaze at,” Sua retorted as she was simply just reading the lines she read in her notebook. “I want to break the contract relationship already.” Jiu looked at her with an open mouth.

 

“We still have a year left of high school. We said we will be together until the end. What changed?” Jiu asked while Sua began walking away from Jiu to put in some distance.

 

“Life changes. I thought I could do this for 1 more year but I can’t. I fell in love with you and clearly you don’t feel the same. I asked you to be mine. Just mine in a monogamous relationship until the end of high school but you couldn’t do that.” Sua’s heart was already breaking even though she didn’t know the person in front of her. The feeling of heartbreak was there but the memory of them together was a blank space in her mind. “I hope your happy with that one in your house. When school starts again never approach me. Pretend we are strangers because this,” Sua gestured to herself then Jiu. “Is done. We are nothing. No relationship. No lovers. No ties to each other at all and if anyone asks just say it was an act to get your current girl jealous.” Sua concluded as she pulled out the messy scribbles of the contract they had and began tearing it into pieces. She began walking home while tears streamed down her eyes.

 

 


“Sua~ Sweetie, you have a visitor.” Sua’s mom called out as she slide the door open and Sua looked at the visitor.

 

“Do I... know you?” She tilted her head to the visitor and all she did was cry. “I’m… sorry… I made you cry.” Sua didn’t know why this person was crying. “Mom… do I know her?” Sua looked at her mom for help. Her mom only sobbed hoping that something could get her daughter’s memory coming back but just like the doctor said. It wouldn’t be a surprise if she recalled nothing at all.

 

“She’s… your best friend. Her name is Lee Siyeon.” Her mom introduced her as Siyeon cried even harder knowing that she lost her friend even though she is right in front of her.

 

“I see… Lee Siyeon… nice to meet you again,” Sua smiled. Siyeon slowly got closer to Sua and hugged her. She was shaking with relief but it also came with anger and fear.

 

“I promise you Sua. I’ll make sure no one ever hurts you. No matter who it is.” Siyeon promised to herself while Sua only looked at Siyeon with a blank expression.