323

434

Tik. Tok. Tik. Tok.

All eyes are focused on the clock instead of the teacher in front. He notices this but shrugs it off as he only feels the need to do his job; and at this time, making students listen has been ticked off his job requirements.

A few minutes more and these kids will be out of this hell hole. One particular student takes final notes before hearing the bell. When the class finally heard the sound they have been wanting to hear since the day started, the room was filled with cheers and most of the students began shouting in joy. Their homeroom teacher dismissed them before exiting the room in a flash. Some of the aforementioned student's classmates hurry out while those who stayed behind discussed their plans for summer.

Wonyoung sighs as she fixes her things. "This summer will be different," she tells herself. She carefully puts her notebooks and books in her backpack before completely cleaning her desk. She swings her backpack onto her shoulders as she made her way out.

She finds herself dragging her own feet. This summer will be boring as ever without Yujin. For the past ten years, they have been spending it together like how bestfriends usually do. Exactly how bestfriends do.

Bothered by the thoughts brewing in her mind, Wonyoung kicks a rock by her feet. She doesn't kick it hard to the point that it would fly but she kicks it hard enough for it to move forward. She kept doing this until she arrived at the school gate. She looked around and she wishes Yujin would be beside her right now. Wonyoung always hated the background noise but Yujin manages to drown them out. Whenever she is with Yujin, it was only just the two of them, in their own worldーat least, for Wonyoung, that's how it felt like.

Annoyance is evident in Wonyoung's face but no one would notice that since all of them are busy minding their own business. Wonyoung waits patiently for her ride. Since Yujin had something more important to do, she wouldn't be able to walk home with Wonyoung. The younger girl is okay with itーhow could she say no to Yujin anywayーbut she hates walking alone because walking alone means other kids would wonder why and them wondering would lead to curiosity which could stir up rumors. Apart from the background noise, Wonyoung hates being the center of attention the most; especially, when others start talking behind her back as if they know her story.

She lets out a deep sigh. Her patience is starting to run out. She notes in her memory that she will scold her driver once he arrives. As she reaches her patience limitーat his point, Wonyoung is a volcano about to explodeーan unfamiliar car stops in front of her. "I guess some brats are luckier than me when it comes to their rides," she whispers to herself. The driver pulled down the window over the passenger's side, "Are you getting in or not?" Wonyoung almost snapped her neck when she heard a familiar voice.

"What are you doing here?" she asks in surprise. The driver laughed in reply before reaching the opposite door to open it. Although hesitant, Wonyoung got in. "I thought you would just stand there like an idiot all day," the driver said before driving away.

Wonyoung starts to process everything in her mind, "Wait," she said, "Stop the car," she continued. The driver just smiled and continued what she was doing, "First stop: the convenience store," she said before making a left turn. Wonyoung looked at her, dumbfounded, before hitting her in the arm continuously.

"Hey!" the driver said trying to keep the car in the right lane while avoiding Wonyoung's hitsーwhich she both failed doing. "I'm driving, Wonyoung!" she scowls and Wonyoung stops for she knows better than dying in a car accident with the person behind the wheel. She stomps her foot hard and she knows that this would annoy the driver more. She side-eyed her and she was right. Wonyoung stomped againーmaking sure that the sound was louderーand she put on a satisfied smile after hearing the driver curse under her breath. The car pulled over and Wonyoung looked to see where they are. She turns to the driver, "Really?" she asks with one brow raised, "Really," the other girl answers back with a sarcastic small smile on her face. She took off her seatbelt and went out. Wonyoung rolled her eyes before resting her head on the window. 

"What the hell?!" Wonyoung yelled after almost falling from the seat; thank God for seatbelts and fast reflexes. "Are you out of your mind?!" she scoffed as she went out of the car to face the person who almost made her kiss the pavement.

"Look, your driver won't pick you up any time soonーor everーsince I already told your parents that we're going on a trip," the driver nudged Wonyoung like she was expecting the younger girl to follow up what she said. Wonyoung narrowed her eyes at the childish driver, "I know this is not a rocketship but you didn't have to ruin the fun," she clicked her tongue before turning her back on Wonyoung to enter the convenience store.

Wonyoung stood there with her hands crossed. Suddenly, the driver slowly her heels and walked away from the entrance. Wonyoung held her palm up gesturing the other girl to stopーwhich she did. "The entrance is that way, ," Wonyoung said while pointing at the direction of the glass door, "I know but I remembered there's another convenience store that has the water I want," the driver replied.

The door of the convenience store suddenly opened and Wonyoung heard the driver curse under her breath again. She turned her head towards the entrance and her world stopped upon seeing two familiar faces.

"Wonyoung!" the taller of the two called out, "What are you doing here?" she asked as she reached Wonyoung.

"T-this is a convenience store. What e-else would I be doing here?" she stutters, making sure to not look at the girl in front of her in the eye.

"Right," the girl laughs, "I'm really sorry about you know," Wonyoung spared her a glance and she saw the smile she loved. 

"That's okay. Don't mind it. I'll be going on a roadtrip with Chaewon anyway," Wonyoung said before pulling the driver, who had her back facing the others, closer.

"Uh, yeah. We were just about to buy some drinks and snacks. It'll be a long ride," Chaewon gave off a chuckle.

"Have fun this summer, Yujin," Wonyoung smiled at the girl before dragging Chaewon into the convenience store.

"Wait," Chaewon stopped so Wonyoung did the same. They looked over to the owner of the voice, "Congratulations on getting your license, Chaewon," the girl beside Yujin gave her an angelic smile.

"Thanks, Minjoo," Chaewon paused, "Congrats to the both of you, too," she said and felt Wonyoung's grip on her wrist tighten.

"Thank you," Minjoo replied.

"We'll get going now. Enjoy your roadtrip!" Yujin said before intertwining her fingers with Minjoo's.

As soon as the couple left, Wonyoung let go of Chaewon's wrist, "Buy what we'll need. I'll just pay you in the car," Wonyoung said before walking towards the car and entering it. Chaewon observed how Wonyoung kept blinking, probably to stop the tears from falling. Chaewon shakes her head before heading inside the convenience store.

Wonyoung starts kicking the floor of Chaewon's car; accidentally hitting the glove compartment from time to time. She groans to relieve some frustration but she doesn't feel betterーnot even a tiny bit. She continues to do what she is doing and she commends Chaewon's car for taking this much damage yet not being a wreck. 

The door over the driver's side opened and Wonyoung froze. Chaewon got inside, throwing the paper bag to the back seats. When she finally buckled her seatbelt, Chaewon looked at Wonyoung, "What?" the younger girl shrugged it off and turned her head to look out the window.

"I appreciate you testing the durability of my car but I just got my license recently so please let me have something nice to drive, okay?" Chaewon rests her hands on the wheel while waiting for Wonyoung to answer. The other girl only hums in response but Chaewon takes it as a yes. She starts driving again with Wonyoung dozing off in the passenger seat.

Wonyoung's eyes slowly flutter open as she felt light taps on her arm. Surprised to see Chaewon's face too close to hers, Wonyoung immediately moved her head away, consequently hitting the headrest. She gave off a silent ow while Chaewon clicked her tongue.

"You're always so careless," Chaewon said as she unbuckled Wonyoung's seatbelt before ruffling the latter's hair. Wonyoung scowled at her but she only laughed it off.

Wonyoung got out of the car and an overwhelming joy filled her system after reading Baskin-Robbins on the signage. She ran inside leaving Chaewon shaking her head with a small smile plastered on her face. 

As soon as Chaewon got inside, she saw Wonyoung's face planted on the glass while looking at the variety of ice cream flavors this place has to offer. Chaewon sighed as she stood beside Wonyoung, "You're really trying to choose a flavor?" the older girl side eyed the latter. Wonyoung shook her head, "Of course I'll get the usual, dummy. I'm feasting with my eyes but my stomach only gets to know one superior flavor," the younger girl winked before making her way to the counter.

Chaewon followed suit. It was a good idea to go to this place after all. Chaewon doesn't really have a clear plan on their itinerary. It's just that she felt like Wonyoung needs to unwind. After what happened earlier, Chaewon is convinced that she has to put in more effort to achieve her goal. 

Wonyoung turned her head to Chaewon, "The usual, right?" she asked and Chaewon nodded. Wonyoung gave her a smile before saying the order. Chaewon stared at Wonyoung. She starts to appreciate the twinkle in Wonyoung's eyes as if it's holding a whole galaxy full of stars. The smile that Chaewon was used to seeing before has found its way back to Wonyoung's face. After all these years, ice cream really brings out the inner child in them. Chaewon unconsciously smiles at the thought. She is brought back to reality when Wonyoung snapped her fingers in front of Chaewon. The older girl blinked before shaking her head, "Weird," Wonyoung said before leaving Chaewon to find a chair. Chaewon was too preoccupied to even notice Wonyoung was carrying their ice cream.

They found a table for two and Wonyoung started eating her ice cream. On her first bite, Wonyoung's aura suddenly brightened up. Chaewon remembers this dark cloud surrounding Wonyoung when she pulled over her car. 

"Mint choco is certainly the best! I can't believe they say it tastes like toothpaste," Wonyoung huffed before eating another spoonful.

Chaewon nods, "Minjoo hates it so much but she still eats it when I ask her to," and silence falls upon their table. "Sorry," Chaewon quickly apologizes.

"It's not like your apology would break them apart, Chaewon," Wonyoung seriously said. 

"You're right," Chaewon lets out a deep breath, "But it's my fault they're together so sorry, Wonyoung," she continues. Wonyoung remains silent. Her hands now nibbling on the hem of her skirt.

"We should be happy for them. That's what bestfriends do,"

The ice cream starts to taste bitter on Wonyoung's tongue as soon as she heard what Chaewon said, "Right. Be happy because that's what bestfriends do. Even if you're breaking, you should be happy because as the bestfriendーonly the bestfriendーyou have to be supportive," Wonyoung smiles sarcastically. Tears are now forming on the edge of her eyes but she tries her best to stop them from falling.

"That's not what I mean. What I want to sayー" Chaewon wasn't able to finish her sentence when Wonyoung slammed her hands on the table. The ice cream shop suddenly became quiet and the other customers turn to their table. Chaewon flinched at Wonyoung's outburst. Feeling the piercing glare of the other people around them, Wonyoung stood up and Chaewon followed shortly after. 

Wonyoung started kicking the wheels of Chaewon's car. Chaewon puts her hands on her waist, "Hey! Jang Wonyoung! Will you please stop acting like a child?" she tries her best to hide the annoyance in her tone. Wonyoung's face as she turned to Chaewon meant that the latter was not successful. 

Chaewon walks towards Wonyoung, "If you throw a tantrum, will Yujin like you back? What does your temper do good to you anyway?" the older girl's tone was raised and she saw how Wonyoung flinched a little. The younger girl retaliated by kicking the car's wheel one last time before going back inside the car, slamming the door in the process. Chaewon's fists turn white but she breathes in and out, slowly, to control her anger.

The ride was quiet. It was between comfortable and awkward. None of them wanted to strike a conversation first. Chaewon knows that Wonyoung's pride is higher than the tallest mountain, skyscraper, and tower in the world, combined. The younger girl is going through puberty so Chaewon tries to understand her. So far, Wonyoung has done a good job in testing her patience.

Chaewon cleared . Words were about to roll out her tongue when Wonyoung spoke, "Shut up," the older girl rolled her eyes. The audacity of this child to tell her that got into Chaewon's nerves. "Can we please enjoy this roadtrip, Wonyoung? We haven't spent much time together," it was not a tone of favor but of authority.

"It was always Yujin and I. We didn't spend much time together before so why would you suddenly want to do that now?" 

Chaewon was silent, "Because Minjoo left you, too? Is this trip for us to forget our feelings while those two dote over each other?" Wonyoung turned her body to face away from Chaewon.

"Minjoo didn't leave me. Yujin didn't leave you, too. Being in a relationship doesn't mean they're ditching us," Chaewon's eyes were glued to the road. Whether Wonyoung is listening to her or not, it doesn't matter.

"Summer was always our time; but, now, everything changed," Wonyoung's voice broke, "You know how it feels for your feelings to not be reciprocated. Seeing your bestfriend go heart eyes all over Yujin must've hurt. Heck, you even helped them become a thing. You're another level of masochist, Chaewon," Wonyoung wipes her tears aggressively.

"What?" Chaewon suddenly stopped the car, "I'm a what?" she asks again, now looking at Wonyoung.

"A masochist,"

"Excuse me?"

"Don't you know what a masochist is?"

"I know what that means! I don't get why you're calling me one,"

"Weren't you hurt when Minjoo and Yujin got together?" Wonyoung tilts her head in curiosity.

"No. I was genuinely happy for them. Why would I be hurt?"

"Don't you like Minjoo?"

Chaewon looked at Wonyoung in disbelief, "Wait! All this time you thought I was in love with my bestfriend like you are with Yujin?" Wonyoung nodded, "No!"

"You didn't have to shout that loud!" Wonyoung shouted back a little louder than Chaewon.

"Why would I agree to be a bridge for the two of them if I liked Minjoo the way you think I do?"

"That's exactly why I was confused!" Wonyoung said.

Chaewon started laughing hysterically before pulling over at the side of the road. She holds her stomach as it begins to hurt from excessive laughing. Wonyoung looked at Chaewon with an annoyed expression on her face.

"Were you throwing a fit because you thought I didn't sympathize with you despite being in the same situation?"

"First, I didn't throw a fit," Wonyoung said as she held her index finger up. Chaewon raised one eye brow but Wonyoung rolled her eyes before continuing, "Second, I don't need your sympathy," Chaewon fake coughed, earning a glare from Wonyoung, "Lastly, I still don't get why you suddenly dragged me into this roadtrip without me agreeing to it," Wonyoung finished by crossing her arms.

Chaewon cleared , "It was your idea so technically, you agreed. Don't you remember?" Wonyoung put her hand under her chin to think. Her eyes slowly grow wide as a memory suddenly rang a bell, "Hey! That's not fair! I didn't know it was a serious bet!" Wonyoung started to act like a child who had their candy taken away from them so Chaewon tried her best to keep her cool again.

"You said I would definitely fail because I'd purposely run over people and my instructor would sense that!" Chaewon cleared before crossing her arms, "I quote, 'No one would give you a free pass at murder, Chaewon. If you do get your driver's license before summer, I'll go with you on a roadtrip'," Chaewon copied Wonyoung's baby voice and gestures and this made the younger girl disgusted.

Chaewon brings out her license and she started waving it in front of Wonyoung's face. The latter could only roll her eyes; now thinking of ways to go back in time and slap herself for saying that.

Wonyoung sighs in defeat after ten whole minutes of silence, "Where are we going anyway?"

"I don't know. Where do you want to go?"

Wonyoung frowns, "You don't know?"

"Was I supposed to plan?"

"Chaewon, what the hell?!" Wonyoung suddenly raised her voice which startled the driver, "They don't plan roadtrips in movies. They always had somewhere to go to. I thought that was normal,"

"! Those are scripted! Of course they'd have some place to go!" Wonyoung started hitting Chaewon's arm again. 

"Jang Wonyoung! I'm driving! Stop hitting me, it hurts!" Chaewon protested and Wonyoung stopped, "What do you want to do? I'm sure you have a place in your mind that you always wanted to visit," Chaewon asks calmly.

Wonyoung was silent for a moment, "The sunset," she quietly said, "And Yujin used to take me to the cliff that overlooks the city. We always looked at the stars there since the sky was clearer and it was quiet," she had her head down.

"Roadtrip rule number one: Mentioning Yujin and Minjoo is forbidden," Chaewon suddenly said so Wonyoung looked at her. The older girl just winked at Wonyoung.

"It's too early for sunset, though," Chaewon says as she looks at the time on her wristwatch. She thinks for a while before speaking, "Do you want to break things?" she briefly turns her head to look at Wonyoung, "Legally, that is," she adds. 

"Interesting," Wonyoung said. Chaewon smiled as she stepped on the gasーfinally having a destination.

After almost half an hour of seeing only asphalt, Chaewon stopped the car and Wonyoung looked around from inside. Chaewon got out but Wonyoung stayed in her seat. She could clearly see Chaewon crossing her arms, directly looking at her. Wonyoung opened the door and got out but she kept it open, "You're not going to kill me, are you?" she said before carefully closing the door.

"Would be nice but I don't want your blood staining my car," Chaewon shrugs before turning her back on Wonyoung.

In front of them is what seemed like an abandoned town. It was something straight out of the movies. Wonyoung wonders how Chaewon learned about this ghost town but knowing how the latter's mind works, it wouldn't be a surprising trivia.

"Yena told me about this place. She, Hyewon, and Sakura usually go here when they get tired of playing in the computers," Chaewon starts talking when she heard Wonyoung's footsteps grow louder, "They would bring their nerf guns with them and play live action Fortnite," she chuckles.

"I'm more curious as to why Yena had to take you here," Wonyoung said as she stopped beside Chaewon. 

The older girl picked up a rock on the ground and she threw it, breaking one of the windows in an abandoned house. This surprised Wonyoung but it kind of looked fun to do. "Yena always lost so she thought she could use some extra pair of eyes. That duck forgot Hyewon's senses were superb. I wasn't part of the gameーheck, Yena even made sure the other two wouldn't know I was aroundーbut that lunatic shot me first," Chaewon explained as she began collecting rocks and pebbles in her hand. 

Wonyoung watched as Chaewon does her thing. The older girl stopped and walked towards Wonyoung. Chaewon opened her palm, "Get one or two or whatever and throw it wherever you like," she said, "Except to me, of course," Chaewon chuckled, "And my car," she added and Wonyoung thought it would be a good idea to smirk and take a handful; basically everything on Chaewon's hands.

Seeing the playful smile on Wonyoung's face after taking what she had collected in her hands, Chaewon started turning pale, "Wonyoung, anything but my car, please," she begged and she stuttered a little.

Wonyoung giggled and Chaewon's forehead crinkle. The giggles turned into a laugh. Wonyoung's eyes shut close into slits and for some reason, Chaewon's lips slowly curl into a smile.

"I won't throw rocks at your car, dummy," Wonyoung said as she threw one rock towards the roof of one house.

"You've been calling me dummy and since I picked you up. Have you forgotten that I'm older than you?" Chaewon stood straight as if inciting superiority.

Wonyoung clicked her tongue, "You kept on bugging me to speak casually to you and now you complain," she said before throwing another rock, this time to the other direction and it ended up hitting the glass on top a doorway.

Chaewon shrugged and she began collecting rocks again. "This is fun. I never thought it would be but it is," Wonyoung continuously threw rocks and they made loud noises upon hitting the roofs and bouncing down in the process.

"Since Yena brought me here, I would usually go here alone to rid some stress out of my system," Chaewon shared as she throws a rock in the air and catching it.

"You've been stressed?" Wonyoung asked before plopping down on the ground.

Chaewon threw the rock and it bounced on the ground, "Yes. I'm human, in case it wasn't obvious," she said as she offered her hands to Wonyoung, "It's dirty there. Your uniform will get ruined," 

Wonyoung took Chaewon's hands and when the latter was about to pull her up, Wonyoung pulled harder towards her making Chaewon fall beside her. The older girl grunted, "Was that necessary?" Chaewon shook some dust off her hands and shirt.

"If I asked you to sit beside me, would you sit?" Wonyoung asked as she helped Chaewon brush off dust, "Maybe," Chaewon replied.

"That's a no,"

"Right," Chaewon chuckled before crossing her legs, "It's weird how breaking things or trying to destroy things seem comforting," she blurted out. Wonyoung looked at her, "Probably because it's better to see tangible things break instead of our selves," she answered as she hugged her legs and rested her chin on her knees.

"That was deep," Chaewon let out a deep breath, "But true," a smile forms on her lips again. She turns her head to look at Wonyoung and the older sister in her jumps out yet again, "You're wearing a skirt!" she hit Wonyoung's arm lightly.

"There's no one else here! Calm down!" Wonyoung replied. Chaewon admits defeat and silence fall upon them.

"Do you stress over other things aside from school, Chaewon?" Wonyoung breaks the ice. Chaewon leaned back, her arms supporting her weight, and she looked at the sky,  "Unrequited feelings," she answered while watching the clouds slowly travel.

"I thought you didn't like Minjoo that way?"

"Rule number one!"

"Forget about the rule and answer my question,"

"Who said it was Minjoo anyway?"

"Then who?"

"Hey, look! That cloud looks like a bunny!" Chaewon pointed to the sky.

"Don't change the topic!" Wonyoung starts whining. Chaewon brings her phone out to snap a pic of the said cloud. "Kim Chaewon!" Wonyoung calls out with a pout. Chaewon looks at her and laughs before taking a picture of Wonyoung, too.

Wonyoung's eyes grew wide, "Delete that!" she was about to snatch the phone from Chaewon's hands when the older girl suddenly stood up. Chaewon ran back to the car and Wonyoung chased after her.

As soon as they both got in the car, Wonyoung tried to speak but Chaewon spoke first, "Okay, I'm lifting the word ban for Minjoo," she declared.

"So who's your crush?" Wonyoung waited expectantly.

"The girl who works part-time at the bakery across the school and is also a close friend of Minjoo,"

"Hitomi?" 

"Yes," Chaewon paused, "It's not her but she knows who," she finished and Wonyoung started to frown. The older girl started driving again. Wonyoung started stomping on the car floor again, "Hey! Stop that!" Chaewon protested, "You guys aren't even that close. How come she knows and I don't?" Wonyoung whines.

"Exactly my point. If someone I barely interact with knows, then it must be pretty obvious, right?" 

"No,"

"It actually is," Chaewon chuckled. Wonyoung pretended to not hear what she just said, "Where are we off to now?" she changes the topic since she knows Chaewon won't be answering her properly.

"The beach," Chaewon shortly replied.

Wonyoung looked out the window and silently admired the view. This roadtrip wasn't as bad as she imagined it to be. To be honest, she kinda feels bad for lashing out on Chaewon. Come to think of it, most of their time together was always with Minjoo and Yujin. This is the first time that they're alone and Wonyoung doesn't even feel awkward. If anything, Chaewon's company was comfortable.

Chaewon took a turn and straight ahead was the beach. They pulled over and the driver sighed, "I thought there would be less people since summer break just started but things doesn't always go my way," she complains while looking at the swarm of people. She turns to Wonyoung, giving the younger girl a sorry smile, "Want to go to the cliff you were saying earlier instead?" 

Wonyoung pouted as she gave the offer a thought, "Hmm," she hummed and Chaewon stared at her while she thinks, "We could find a spot somewhere and settle there," Wonyoung smiled at Chaewon, "Got it," Chaewon replied as she reached for the paper bag on the back seat. They got out and Chaewon opened the trunk to get the blanket and picnic basket she prepared. She cleared to get Wonyoung's attention, "Help," she smiled shyly and Wonyoung rushed to get the blanket and basket but Chaewon shoved the paper bag into her hands instead. Wonyoung was about to protest but Chaewon immediately walked away once she closed the trunk. The younger girl followed suit and they walked side by side while trying to look for an empty spot away from the people.

After a few minutes of strolling, they finally settle where the stretch of the shoreline ends. Not a lot of people go there since it's far from the entrance; but for Chaaewon and Wonyoung, it's the perfect location.

Chaewon spread the blanket and put the basket on top. She sat down and patted the spot beside her. Wonyoung plopped down where Chaewon asked her to beーbrightness radiating from her face. The sun would be jealous by how much Wonyoung shines whenever she smiles. Chaewon tried to stop herself from squishing the younger girl's cheeks with her hand but her body moves against her wishes. Wonyoung turned to her and Chaewon bites her lower lip to prevent herself from screeching, "You're so cute," is what she said and Wonyoung replied with a muffled, "I know."

Chaewon continued playing with Wonyoung's cheeks while repeatedly telling her that she's cute. It was okay and normal for the first few seconds but it has been at least five minutes since Chaewon mushed Wonyoung's face. The younger girl wants to slap Chaaewon's hand away but a part of her likes seeing the older girl's smile and hearing her small voice compliment her makes Wonyoung's heart jump.

When Chaewon finally realized that she has been playing with Wonyoung's cheeks for too long, she stopped and pulled her hand away. For some unknown reason, Wonyoung's shoulders fell and she doesn't know but she kinda feels disappointed?

The older girl reached for the picnic basket and brought the food containers out. Wonyoung's jaw dropped, "You prepared all of this?" she asked in surprise seeing that there were five containers. "Yes. They're all kimbap so don't get your hopes up," Chaewon laughed while opening one container. Wonyoung clicked her tongue, "What did I even expect? Your bestfriend even revealed that you couldn't make scrambled eggs," the younger girl joked which earned a glare from Chaewon.

Wonyoung tried out one piece and Chaewon silently waited for her comment, "You made this?" Wonyoung asked to which Chaewon nodded, "Was it too good that you thought it's storebought?" she asked but Wonyoung frowned, "It tastes like the cheap kimbap they sell near our neighborhood," Wonyoung swallows the food in while Chaewon remained silent.

The older girl blinked her eyes in disbelief but Wonyoung burst out laughing and now Chaewon is confused. Wonyoung suddenly cracking up after calling her food bad is outright disrespectful to Chaewon but she can't make herself get mad at the other girl.

"It's good, dummy," Wonyoung snorted, "It's delicious. Don't kill me," 

Chaewon lightly pinched Wonyoung's side, "I was about to get offended. I spent hours on that!" she complained but Wonyoung only laughed harder, "Your face! You should've seen the look on your face," she said in between her laughs.

Letting out a deep sigh, Chaewon shrugged laughing Wonyoung off and began eating. Wonyoung took another piece while wiping some tears from her eyes. It took her some time to compose herself and eat her second piece. Chaewon had to throw a water bottle at her to make her stop but it didn't work. The only time Wonyoung wasn't laughing was when she was eating. She made sure she would tease Chaewon with her annoying laugh every time she takes a bite. Little did she know, her laugh was music to the latter's ears and she was doing Chaewon a favor by not shutting up. However, Chaewon does not make this obvious.

They kept eating silentlyーexcept for Wonyoungーuntil the sky was painted with shades of red, orange, and a mix of the two. It was a beautiful gradient. From their place, they have a nice view of the horizon and the sun looked like a burning ball of fire whose flares got scattered in the sky. Wonyoung always dreamed of watching the sunset with Yujin but the latter only cared about the night sky and the stories that the constellations hold. Despite of having heard the same stories for ten years, Wonyoung never got tired of them because it was Yujin and she would do anything to hear her voice.

Wonyoung purses her lips to keep her tears from falling. Thinking of Yujin still hurts because she was supposed to be with her. Chaewon is a good companion but everything is just different with Yujin. Wonyoung misses the fluttering of her heart while sitting beside Yujin. She misses the scent of lavender that keeps her calm whenever Yujin had her arms around her. Most importantly, she misses hoping that they could be more than friends every time Yujin talks about how they would stick together until they grow old. Those were Yujin's harmless promisesーfuture plans that bestfriends usually doーbut for Wonyoung, it was supposed to be something to hold on to. 

Tears escape from Wonyoung's eyes but she did not make any sound. Suddenly, she felt an arm around her that pulled her close. Being taller than Chaewon was a problem and leaning her head on the older girl's shoulder would be uncomfortable but, somehow, they found a way around it.

They watched as the sun's blaze slowly faded and it was the other stars' turn on stage. Chaewon is now embracing Wonyoung while resting her head on the younger girl's shoulders. The latter rests her head on top of Chaewon's; her Yujin-related thoughts slowly fade and she sighs in relief.

"Have you ever thought of the stars as ashes?" Wonyoung suddenly asked.

"What do you mean?"

"During sunset, the sun looks like it's burning the sky. Come to think of it, the stars are scattered ashes from that event,"

"Were you always this deep?"

Wonyoung chuckled softly, "Maybe,"

"If the stars are ashes then shouldn't they remind us that even if we burn, there will always be a beautiful picture from its remnants?"

"As others put it: a beautiful tragedy,"

"Not a fan of it," Chaewon moved making Wonyoung raise her head. Chaewon stood up and offered her hand to Wonyoung, much like how she did back in the ghost town, "Don't pull me back down," she warned. Wonyoung took her hand and Chaewon then pulled her up. The older girl handed Wonyoung the basket before dusting off the blanket and folding it neatly. 

They were silent on the way back to the car. After putting the blanket and basket inside the trunk, Wonyoung was about to get in when Chaewon held her wrist. The older girl dragged Wonyoung to the front of her car. She let go of the younger girl before sitting on the hood of her car. She rested her back on the windshield. Once she felt comfortable, she looked up to the star-studded sky. Wonyoung didn't move an inch so Chaewon talked, "I can't bring you to the cliff since it would remind you of her so let's do the stargazing here instead," Wonyoung smiled. She didn't know Chaewon was this thoughtful. All she knows is that Minjoo keeps her in check because she would usually come off as intimidating and cold. Chaewon barely talks so she just embraced those labels without trying to prove others wrong. Wonyoung remembers the first time Chaewon approached her and Yujin while eating at the cafeteria. They both froze but Minjoo appeared from behind Chaewon and she explained that she only wanted to see her bestfriend make new friends. Chaewon at it so Minjoo did the job and that's how the four of them met and the day that followed was when Yujin realized she likes Minjoo.

"Chaewon?"

"Hmm?"

"When you approached me and Yujinー"

"Rule number one," Chaewon said with her eyes closed.

"I said forget that," Wonyoung said, "As I was saying, when you approached us before, was it for Minjoo?"

"She kept on bugging me that I should have other friends other than her so I tried to interact with the two of you to shut her up,"

"I mean," Wonyoung hesitates. She opens again but Chaewon beat her to it, "No, it wasn't because Yujin was there. She only began liking Yujin after a few months and I had to make her admit it to herself,"

"Then why us?"

"She insisted,"

"That doesn't answer the question, though,"

Chaewon sighs, "She tried helping me get close to you," the older girl opened her eyes and looked directly into Wonyoung's, "But you were too busy being hostile after she sat beside Yujin," she smiled a little before closing her eyes again.

"Why would you want to get close to me?"

"Why are you so dense?" Chaewon hopes Wonyoung would finally get the hint.

Neither of them spoke after that. Finally finding the courage, Chaewon talked, "I like you, idiot," she said and she could feel Wonyoung tensing up. The younger girl now feels guilty after spending a day with Chaewon. She didn't know that the older girl had feelings for her and now she feels bad because it's like she took Chaewon for granted.

"I'm sorry," Wonyoung silently says. If it wasn't quiet, Chaewon wouldn't be able to catch it.

"It's okay. It's not your fault,"

"I should've known,"

"Maybe but you knowing won't change anything,"

"That's what I'm sorry for,"

"Wonyoung," Chaewon said, "Don't think too much about it. I'll wait. No pressure," 

"Iー" Wonyoung was about to explain when Chaewon cut her off again, "I don't know any stories about the night sky but I do know that the north star is called Polaris and it is used in navigation," Chaewon sat up, "I don't know if it led me to you or it is you but," she turned her head to face Wonyoung, "I do know that my heart found and followed you," she smiled and Wonyoung did the same.

That day will forever be kept in Wonyoung's memory. It wasn't the summer she got used to spending but she would like to experience it again. After all this time, the night sky that she always associated to Yujin gave her the person that cherishes her.

434.

The North Star was believed to be 434 light-years away from Earth. However, recent studies show that it is much closer than this: only 323 light-years. Since that night, Wonyoung was convinced that the roadtrip reared her and Chaewon closerーmuch like how the studies proved Polaris' distance.

Forgetting and moving on would take a long time. It's a tiresome process, Wonyoung knows, but she keeps in mind that when she finally overcomes this, she will find her way homeーand her newfound Polaris will guide her.

 

 

ーENDー