Chase

In The Steps Of A Killer

The young male crawled on the floor. Blood dripping from his mouth and head as he helplessly tried to reach for the phone. The heavy footsteps got closer, making the male start crying again. The killer turned him around, looking down at him with cruelty "See you in hell" he mumbled as he threw a cloth of fire, burning the begging male and his house.

The sun shone, Zhengting was watching to the TV about the yesterday news for the serial killer of young males, while drinking his coffee "This world is so cruel".

Xukun was explaining the situation "He has already killed his 7th victim, but it's the 3rd he has burnt...", Yanjun was completely ignoring him, trying to make a bird with the papers "You're free..." said Xukun and everybody started packing their things.

Linkai caught up with Yanjun "How was your meeting?", Yanjun shook his head "Still for that serial killer who kills youngsters. Whatever. How's the hacking life?" he teased with a smirk. Linkai shook his head, fixing his soft straight purple hair "You really don't care about it, huh? Did you check the rookies? There is one everybody is talking about him". They stood on the window, checking them out "His name is Chen Linong", Yanjun could notice him, he really outstanded. A cute looking yet strong guy with big power of will. Yanjun smirked, turning away "Let's get some coffee".

The killer walked in the hospital "I wanna see Mr.Wang", the receptionist told him the room of his sick father. He walked in, seeing Zhangjing, the doctor who was responsible for his father "Good morning, Ziyi", the younger slightly nodded sitting next to his father.

He didn't speak until he heard the door closing in the back "My son, how have you been doing?" his voice barely coming out. Ziyi looked down for a moment before leaning forward "I just killed another boy..." he looked at his father's utter shock expression "...and I burnt him" his eyes widened, showing how much he lost control. He didn't expect any answer, not caring the stuff that his father was mumbling. Ziyi had started something and there was no way something could stop him.

It was around 23:00, Zhengting had just finished his work. The workplace was far, so he walked at streets where not many people lived there. He wanted to put earphones on, but he heard a pleading yelp coming from a house. He wanted to ignore, but immediately sound of many things falling was heard, making him curious enough to check out. His eyes shot open when he saw a man beating to death a young guy, the killer straggled the victim. Zhengting quickly took a photo of him, unluckily the flash was on. The killer looked at him madly, quickly heading to him. Zhengting knew that he had to run for his life, even if his knees felt weak.

Yanjun had just parked his police car in a good hiding place, so he can spot crime. His eyes fell on two boys, who were spraying the wall. He chuckled, getting out of his car, silently getting behind them. He grabbed their napes "What you think you're doing, you little s?!", the boys made sounds of pain "Sorry sir" they both said almost at the same time. Yanjun put them in the car "What's your names?", the one with the blonde hair said "Justin" while the red head said "ChengCheng". Yanjun shook his head, closing the door "Stupid kids".

He checked the place once again to see for any other crime, when abruptly someone almost fell on him. It was a guy out of breath, tears had dried on his face, he pointed back, trying to speak but words were unable to come out. Yanjun gulped, seeing the bad situation the guy was "What's wrong? Calm down", the other cried out "He's...he's chasing me...he kill...and...". Yanjun signed him to calm down "Whoa whoa relax. Come in" he drove them to the police station.

He let both Justin and ChengCheng to a co worker telling him what happened while he took care of the other. He gave him water "What's your name?", the other drunk a bit, still shaking "I'm Zhu Zhengting". Yanjun noted that "Tell me what happened",the older told him everything he saw, not missing a thing.

Yanjun looked around him luckily spotting Xukun "Hey boss! I think I got something you'll be really interested at". Xukun approach them, looking at Zhengting for moment, then he turned to his co worker "I think he saw that famous serial killer you're looking for".

Yanjun left them for a moment talking about the two boys, but soon Xukun called him again. Xukun stood up, taking him on the side "Yanjun, I know you don't care about the serial killer, but I'll put the job to you", his eyes widened "What? No. I don't think I can take care of it, cause I really don't really care". Xukun's look got more serious than usual "My word must be your action. I don't accept no as an answer. Now take care of Zhu Zhengting and the serial killer" with that he left.

Yanjun had a small mental breakdown, not wanting to take this job, but he tried to calm himself. He exhaled heavily, approaching the still trembling Zhengting "I'll help you in the case. Don't worry".

Ziyi punched the wall, throwing everything on the floor as he screamed loudly. He needed to find that guy who saw him.

They started to analyze the picture in Zhengting's phone "Don't worry, sweetheart. Everything is under control" Yanjun winked at Zhengting, who looked at him confused from the wink "Oh. I hope you find it soon". Linkai stood up "It will take exactly a day" with that he stood up "My time's up. See you tomorrow" he said and walked out.

Ziyi banged the young boy's head on the marble wall, the boy was only able to let out a quick yelp that got cut. He dragged the male from his ankles to the bathroom that he was before. The victim's robe was left on the floor, exposing his thin body who only wore his tight boxers. He put his head on the bathtub which was still full of water "Everything is falling apart..." he said to himself in a trembling tone as he kept drowning the male "...I gotta kill him". He took the male's face from the water, hitting him continuously on the tub, then again he put his head in the water, completely killing him.

He threw his body fully inside, looking himself in the bathroom mirror, fixing his ponytail. He put his face mask on, walking out of the small villa. The dead's jacket caught his attention, he chuckled and took it, quickly walking out of the house.

Linkai was waiting for the bus and as always it was late. He was only wearing a t-shirt, but the night was so cold it made him tremble and hug himself. He noticed a tall guy in full black walking down his side with quick angry steps. Linkai looked down, scared to even look at the stranger more. He froze in his position when he realized that the guy stopped walking, looking at him.

He could see him slowly approaching him. Linkai panicked, he thought of calling Yanjun or warning him that he's police. When he looked at him the guy immediately spoke "Are you cold?", surprise hit Linkai "Eh?". The stranger breathed out from his nose as he took off his mask "It's cold and I got a spare jacket. You want it?", the shorter relaxed "You sure you don't need it?". The stranger chuckled "No, I don't so..." he reached for the younger to take it.

Linkai got distracted as he wore the jacket, not noticing that the other was only a few inches away "Cute boys like you shouldn't be alone in the midnight. Things happen" he passed his gloved thumb on Linkai's cheekbone. The stranger walked away, leaving the younger starled.

Linkai was still in Ziyi's mind from yesterday, it was the first person he really didn't think of harming, but he tried hard to ignore it and focus on his goal. He knew he couldn't stalk the place where he saw the witness, because the police would be watching the witness. So he had to think of a plan. 

After Zhengting finished his work, Yanjun picked him up "The analyzation is out", Zhengting nodded with sadly frowned eyebrows, getting in the policeman's car. When they got there, they saw Linkai frozen on his chair, Yanjun placed a hand on his arm "Linkai, you okay?".

They saw the face and the name of the killer. Wang Ziyi, born in 1996. Yanjun nodded, but before looking further he turned to Linkai who hadn't moved at all "Linkai! What's the matter?". The hacker stood up, getting out of the room. Yanjun freaked out from the younger's reaction "Wait here" he said to Zhengting and walked out.

He saw Linkai in the balcony, passing both of his hands on his head "Yesterday...", Yanjun could understand how upset the younger was. Linkai turned to him "He gave me a jacket, Yanjun. I was waiting on the bus station and I was cold. He gave me a spare jacket and told me to be careful. I..." he heavily exhaled. Yanjun's jaw was hanging, he really didn't know how to feel and mostly he didn't know how to comfort his co worker.

They went back in the room, Yanjun started checking out the infos "Wang Ziyi. His mother died when he was in young age and his father started abusing him. In later years he started being really violent in school and got expelled many times. When he became 17 his father would molest underage boys or even date boys slightly older than Ziyi. After some years his father got heavily sick and is in the hospital in bad condition" Xukun was also there listening to everything.

He turned to Zhengting "Don't worry, Zhengting. I will give you a special phone that signals Yanjun where you are" Xukun finished with an ensuring nod. Zhengting whined "Is he gonna kill me?". Xukun stared at him for a moment "We got this under control" with that he handed him the phone.

Next day, the police headed to the killer's house, not more than Xukun, Yanjun and another strong and tall policeman. The place looked abandoned, broken walls, dirty, dark. Yanjun noticed pictures of the victims he already killed with a red 'x' on their faces. Xukun took a paper in his hand "Yanjun! You gotta see this", Yanjun stood close to him. His eyes shot open when he saw a drawing of Linkai. They looked at each other "Probably he's next" said his younger in full of agony. Yanjun frowned his eyebrows, shaking his head "That's the wall with his victims" he pointed at that certain wall.

Zhengting had just finished his groceries, he looked at the many people surrounding him, he enjoyed the sun that shone. He exhaled in relaxation, he felt safe for now. He got in the bus, sitting in the middle, he turned to look out of the window, noticing something. He looked at a certain person who got inside, seeing it was the serial killer.

Ziyi approached him with two big steps, while Zhengting stood up, his eyes watering immediately. His groceries fell as Ziyi grabbed him from the collar, now catching everyone's attention. Zhengting screamed and tried to free himself, but Ziyi only smirked trying to drag him. The victim thought quickly hitting him in the private area, finding a chance to escape. He didn't hit him so hard, so Ziyi grabbed him from the cloth's nape. Luckily, some men tried to break the hold "Leave him alone" said an older man.

Zhengting run out, while Ziyi punched the stranger, easily defending himself from other two passengers that attacked him. Zhengting tried to run as fast as possible, pressing the button to inform Yanjun, panicking when he noticed Ziyi behind him. He quickly run to a small restaurant "Help me! Someone is chasing me!" that moment Ziyi got inside, making Zhengting run back in the cooking place.

The chef and the three workers attacked him, but that was nothing for him. He passed his finger on the hot water, warming his leather glove. Zhengting was pressed against the door, unable to move as Ziyi was already close. He pressed his finger on the older's side of jaw, making him scream loudly. Ziyi giggled deeply "Loud, hmm. I wanna make you scream more for me" he placed his hand around his neck, slightly squishing him.

Tears started falling from Zhengting's eyes, arousing Ziyi more. He leaned closer passing his tongue fully on the older's cheek. Suddenly, Yanjun walked in "Get down!",Ziyi let go of Zhengting, allowing him to run away. Ziyi took his gun out, shooting around him, so he could run away. Yanjun fell on the ground, hiding until Ziyi left making him chase him.

Yanjun could understand that Ziyi was leading him somewhere, but he knew he couldn't stop now. He had to catch him. He got into an abandoned building "Wang Ziyi surrender!".

Silence

He kept pointing with his gun around him "You can't run...", the other's loud tone cut him off "Shut up! I'm not the one who runs away..." he chuckled "...I'm just risking it all for satisfaction". Yanjun gulped, he knew the killer was too mad.

Abruptly, Ziyi came out of the shadows grabbing his gun and throwing it on the side. He punched Yanjun on the ribs three times until the other kneeled. He banged his head on the wall once, making him dizzy. He straightened his posture, fixing his hair "You can't mess with me. I know really well what I'm doing and why I'm doing it" Yanjun could barely see him and his ears were almost shut. He smiled sinisterly, blood dripping from the side of his mouth " you" he said in a low tone. Ziyi angrily inhaled from his nose, kicking hard making the policeman pass out.

Not long after Yanjun abruptly woke up, breathing heavily. He embraced himself hard on the wall as he tried to get up. He headed back the way he came, stumbling and barely holding himself from not falling again.

He saw Zhengting with Xukun and now many other policeman. He put all of his remaining strength to push Xukun back "I didn't even want the case! Why did you put me in charge!". Xukun gulped, seeing the bad condition Yanjun was "He knows what he's doing! But I don't! I didn't even care about it! And guess what, he escaped. Like always! I don't want this case!" after his mental breakdown he walked away, not caring to look back.

It was night, Yanjun had just finished his shower, wet hair, wearing a white open shirt, his pant button also open. He sat on the sofa with spreaded legs, holding his heavy alcoholic drink. He was thinking of quiting the police life, he thought about it literally many times, but his fire for his dream of helping people was burning and never stopped. He finished his drink with the second heavy sip, throwing his head back "I'm on it".

It was around 13:00, Xukun along with some of the policemen were talking about the case, this time Xukun would give it to someone who would really want it. All of a sudden the door banged open, Yanjun was breathing heavily "I'm in the case".

Xukun and Yanjun were in the yard, walking "You know, Yanjun, when we came together some years ago I thought you were the best here. The boss put me in charge because I was more responsible, but in my opinion you would be an awesome leader too. You never took anything too personally and kept doing your job greatly. That's why I put you in charge of Wang Ziyi" he faced him, while Yanjun raised his head "Wow. I never thought someone had this opinion for me". Xukun held his smirk back "Why do you want to come back in the case?", the older nodded "It's my duty".

Yanjun told two of his policemen "Go watch Zhu Zhengting. Xukun bring one from your team and let's take a better look of Ziyi's house. Linkai where are the results of the jacket he gave you?". The younger turned his chair to face him "The results will be out in 1 hour", his older nodded turning to Xukun "Let's go".

This time the door was unlocked in Ziyi's house "Prepare yourselves" said Xukun to Yanjun and the other policeman. Unexpectedly, the house was empty, they got carefully inside, checking the small house. They took a better look of the drawlers this time "He's writing who his next victims are" said Yanjun, Xukun still in thoughts said "That's why he hasn't killed Zhengting. He had other plans". They opened the third drawler, finding two pictures. It was one picture with a red 'x', instead the other was another young male taking his coffee. Yanjun's eyes widened when he noticed the jacket on the male with the 'x', he turned to Xukun "That's the jacket he gave to Linkai".

Suddenly, the  third policeman yelled "There is a bomb! Run!" they all started running. The explosion hit them too hard, making them lose their senses.

The fire truck sirens woke Yanjun up, he immediately got off the hospital bed, seeing Ziyi's house on fire. He looked to find his two partners, quickly noticing Xukun who was drinking water with a blanket around him "Xukun! Where is...?", he couldn't finish his sentence "He didn't make it..." he looked down holding his tears. Yanjun's lower lip started trembling as a tear fell from his right eye. This had gone too far. They put the oxygen mask at his younger, talking that his condition was too bad to do anything for long. Yanjun frowned his face in hatred, he wiped the dirt from his face.

The cameras were rolling and the news reporter quickly making an article on it. Yanjun took the microphone from the young reporter "Wang Ziyi, I'm Lin Yanjun, the policeman who's in charge of you. You son of a molester, come out and face me! Or maybe you can only mess with young boys, someone as weak as you. If I catch you Ziyi I'm really gonna show you what your daddy did to all the boys" with that he handed the microphone back. He was sure Ziyi was watching and he made sure he ain't that one that's losing.

Ziyi was rapidly breathing from his nose, Yanjun just hit his sensitive spot, making him madder than he already was. He punched the wall "If that's what you really want, Lin Yanjun, then you have it".

Yanjun didn't rest, he took Linkai's info about the jacket owner, quickly heading there. The view was of course shocking, the body was violently beaten and drown in the bathtub for more than 3 days. Yanjun hissed "Damn it!", he got out of the house, throwing up on the yard, so did the other two policemen.

He called Linkai 'Did you find the other guy?', he could hear the keyboards 'Hmm...and yes!', he told him where to go and they quickly headed there.

It was already night, around 22:20, Zhengting looked out of the window, checking the police car that was there from the morning. He could see the two men talking for a moment, making him feel safe.

Not much time passed when he was watching TV and a weird sound was heard. He let the tea on the table, approaching the sound. He relaxed, throwing his shoulders down when he saw he left the guest room's window open. He closed it, pulling the curtains perfectly closed before turning.

He froze, his eyes really to pop out, Ziyi was standing behind him "You make a move and I kill you on spot or you just do whatever I say".

Yanjun arrived at the other guy's house, seeing that he was already dead from yesterday. He growled, slapping the wall, he tried to contact the policemen that were watching Zhengting, but none responded "That's weird" he mumbled. For now he looked at the place, but a message from Zhengting came 'Come over. I need to tell you something'. Yanjun smirked "Nice thinking, Ziyi, but you ain't that smart" he was talking to himself, making his team confused.

He explained a plan as they headed there, also calling the hacker "Linkai, I'm gonna need you".

He arrived alone at Zhengting's house, clinging the doorbell "It's open" he heard the owner's sweet voice. He got inside, seeing Zhengting crying and tied up. The door abruptly closed behind him, making him turn around as he got kicked in the guts. Ziyi seemed somehow crazier than the previous time "Show me what my daddy did" the angry irony made Yanjun smirk mischievously and stand up.

A big fight started, none of them backing down this time. Undoubtedly, Ziyi was stronger and Yanjun already knew that. He gave up, knowing that the police was on their way. Ziyi started tying him up with Zhengting "You won't get away, Ziyi. This time you lost", the killer finished tying him up. He grabbed his jaw, making eye contact "Who told I want to win?!" Yanjun gulped, while Zhengting started crying loudly when he saw Ziyi ready to burn them down. The killer threw some gasoline on the place "I'm gonna burn down the place, so you can slowly die" he laughed as he set the cloth on fire, throwing it.

He left from the back door, while Zhengting cried out louder, instead Yanjun panicked tried to untie himself. Ziyi could hear the police cars arriving as he got in his new stolen car. He drove towards the woods, wanting to change town quickly.

He drove for some time until he saw someone hitchhiking, he stopped near him, wanting to kill more people than just the two policemen. He frowned his eyebrows when he saw Linkai, still wearing the jacket he gave him. He turned down his window "Wanna ride?" he said in a serious tone. Linkai said in surprise tone "You again?", Ziyi smirked evily "Don't have much time", the younger got inside.

Linkai was too scared and he knew this was too risky, even though his job was the hacker he did accept to do it.

Ziyi didn't drive for long when he stopped on the side, bringing chills to Linkai "Why did you stop?", Ziyi chuckled turning to look at him "You didn't tell where you want to go". Linkai gulped, knowing that he messed up, yet Ziyi deeply giggled, falling back on his seat. He said in a crazy tone "Didn't I tell you to be careful", he turned and grabbed Linkai from his neck. Their faces inches away "I can let you live once, but not the second time". Linkai got out of his hold, hitting him with a taser.

He got out of the car, while Ziyi was unconscious. Luckily, the police cars just arrived, Yanjun run out to Linkai "You alright? Where is he?", the younger nodded pointing inside the car. Ziyi was awake, the policemen pulled him out, hitting him on the car to handcuff him. Ziyi had an intense look towards Linkai, enjoying how scared he made him even from just a stare. Yanjun got in front of Linkai, breaking their eye contact "I told you you wouldn't escape. Know your limits, mostly with an enemy like me" he smirked mischievously, bragging his win. Ziyi chuckled, showing how relaxed he was.

They kept him in the police station after a series of questions, of course tomorrow they would take him to jail. Xukun smiled "Time to congratulate both Lin Yanjun and Wang Linkai for their brave and successful actions" they all cheered. Yanjun shook Xukun's hand "That's what I meant when I said you were the best for this job", Yanjun chuckled "Thanks for your leadership".

They all went to a restaurant to celebrate, Yanjun could notice how uncomfortable Linkai was. He spoke in his ear "You okay, Linkai?", the younger exhaled from his nose "I feel like Ziyi is smarter than this. He got caught too easily". Yanjun shook his head "Easy or not, we have him, so don't worry" with that he caressed his back.

Next day, Yanjun was there when they were taking Ziyi. They had an intense full of hatred staring contest, until Linkai entered the room. Ziyi turned his eyes to the scared male, softly sending his a kiss, making Yanjun angrier. When he passed next to him, he said "See you", Yanjun wrinkled his nose following him with his eyes.

Ziyi had no plans getting caught, all the night in that small cell he found exactly how he would escape. He waited until they were far away, where nobody would see what would happen. He raised his face with an evil smirk "Are you good enough in your job?", the much older man frowned his eyebrows "What?". Ziyi found his chance, he attacked them, bringing panic at the back, so the driver couldn't focus.

The car crashed, Ziyi took off his handcuffs, quickly undressing a policeman stealing his identity. This is it. He was free.

Yanjun was sitting in his desk, softly swinging on his chair, when a call came. It was about the crash and that Ziyi was missing. Yanjun slammed his hand on the desk, standing up "You idiots!" he pointed at a policeman "Go check Zhu Zhengting" he turned to the other workers "Who's clothes did he take? Probably if he's not to Zhengting's he'll try to flee". The team immediately went to check who were the ones that took him. Yanjun stood on the window, seeing the dark grey clouds "We will meet again Wang Ziyi".

Ziyi got into the  airplane, he turned back smirking. Wang Ziyi never loses, he always knew what to do and how to do it. 

.                       THE END.