Chapter 1 - The New Girl

The Story We Could Have Had...

Chapter 1 - The New Girl

Taeyeon was surprised at just how much her name suited her, it was almost like destiny when her parents named her Taeyeon—her parents she was one of the best babies that they have ever had.

She was calm. Sometimes it was scary if her mother was being honest.

Her friends even agreed that there was no one else in the world that could be the embodiment of calm. Taeyeon knew how to restrain herself, she never got overly scared, happy, which sometimes led to her friends joking that Taeyeon might be a robot in disguise.

In other times, Taeyeon would brush off the joke but other times, she almost agreed with their thoughts—at least internally. She could list a number of things where she had been dropped because of her personality.

That all changed in her 12th summer, Taeyeon felt a whole new terrifying emotion, she couldn’t exactly pin down this feeling but she feared the incoming omen this new transfer girl was bringing.

Compare to everyone else, Taeyeon has been living in the same neighbour her whole life and she knew it like the back of her hand. She could be blind folded and could still reach her house, she once even proved it and won twenty bucks.

So when this new girl by the name of Lee Jieun, transferred to Taeyeon's middle school. It tingled Taeyeon’s radars along with it arose questions and challenged Taeyeon's undisputed title of being the Queen of the school.

Being the Queen didn’t mean she was the popular beehive but instead, it meant that she was a favourite of both students and teachers.

To hell be damned if she was going to let some nobody else take the hard work that she spent the last twelve years of her life trying to be as likeable, favourable and building the perfect image of a good girl.

This new girl was ruining everything and soon enough, this new girl was becoming the talk in town. Which annoyed her especially since she lived in a small town like Taeyeon’s town, she was creating a buzz because she was moving in.

It wasn’t until a day or two later that she managed to get some information on the new girl. One of her most sociable friends within her circle was in the same class as Jieun and claimed that the girl “had waltz into the classroom, a friendly bright smile on her lips, and proudly introduced herself with a clear voice”.

And soon, one person convinced turned into a whole class and suddenly two thirds of the class was being manipulated and swayed by her friendly presence.

Including Sooyoung herself but then again, she was the one to report to them. Sooyoung did not count considering the fact that she liked almost everyone in the school. After all, she was the cheerful friendly princess of their little group.

Taeyeon couldn’t shake off the irritable feeling in her heart but assumed that the hype would die down by the next day.

 

[….]

[………]

 

However that didn’t seem to be the case because the excitement and hype about the transfer student seem to double over.

Finally having enough, Taeyeon leaned over to one of her closest friend Hwang Tiffany, whose eyes scrunch as she focused on painting her nails, "What's all the hype about the new girl?"

Tiffany blinked her eyes, it wasn't often that Taeyeon, the school Queen would ever get interested or even curious about a person. Everyone basically bowed down her way, she glanced outside of the window and found the transfer girl arriving at the front gates.

“Oh, apparently she's done a lot of things that we.” Taeyeon stiffen in her seat, “have yet to do.”

Jessica joined the duo, tossing an arm around Tiffany, getting curious about the talks of the new girl, “Jieun? I heard she broke down Yoona, the girl is pretty likeable.”

Tiffany's eyes flickered between her friends and the new girl. She had to admit that the new girl was kind of cute and she would tap it at any chance she had. “Look, I don't really care,” Actually Tiffany did care but right now, she wasn’t much in the mood to talk. “But if you must know, I can get Sooyoung to spill the beans.”

Taeyeon's eyes sharpen and turned back to the window, refusing to answer instead glancing between the new girl and the scenery.

Taeyeon promised that she wasn't at all interested.

Okay, maybe she felt a little threatened—but just a little.

That's what she said to assure her position in the sudden awareness of the new girl.

 

[....]

[………]

 

It was almost a week later that Taeyeon finally made a close encounter with the girl. The volleyball that Tiffany had tossed, had gotten stuck in the tree.

To be fair, this wouldn't have happened if not for the older girls who had stubbornly kicked them out the gym and thus, the younger kids [them] were stuck outside for gym. She would have asserted her position but she wasn’t exactly the older girls’ favourite hoobae which was okay with her since the older girls were graduating soon.

Taeyeon stared at the ball in the tree. Pinching her nose, she released a heavy sigh. She should have sent Tiffany down to get the ball back. Taeyeon found the new girl playing basketball with her own classmates, her cheeks flushing a pretty red when she got caught staring. The new girl brushed off her friends and was jogging towards her.

“Hey.” Greeted Jieun, “Uhm, I can get that for you.”

Taeyeon ignored her, Jieun asked for a second time before she snapped at the new girl, “I don't need your help. I can grab it myself.”

Jieun grinned and sat down near the trunk of the tree, shouting at her teammates that she was taking an extra-long break.

“What do you think you are doing?”

“Relaxing.”

Taeyeon huffed and proceed to try and climb up the tree. After many failed attempts, she refused to look at the new girl who probably had a smug look on her face.

“You don't exercise, do you?”

“What’s it to you? Is it any of your business?” Taeyeon sneered back, she was slowly getting annoyed by her failed attempts and the new girl's presence wasn't helping.

“No, it's not my business,” Jieun agreed, standing up and placing her feet on the trunk, “But you might want to try this position, you'll be able to climb up the tree.”

Taeyeon watched the girl climb up the tree and drop the ball before jumping down from the far height, her feet landing softly. She gave Taeyeon a satisfying smile that didn't seem to have any ill intention behind it and ran back to the basketball court.

“The name is Lee Jieun, by the way. I’ll see you around.”

Thump

Thump

Thump

Taeyeon blanked out for a bit. Was it just her or did the temperature get worse? It was in the middle of summer.

Thump

Thump

Thump

She took a deep breath. She needed to make an appointment with her doctor, her heart was being too loud for some reason. She buried her face in her hands before she was assured that she had cooled down.

Perhaps, maybe, Taeyeon could understand why she was able to sway more than half of their classmates.

The girl was too charming at least when she grabbed the volleyball from the tree.

 

 


And that wraps up chapter 1! Please let me know what you think :)

-Moxhii