I’m not your mother

Back To The Future?

Hyunjin eyes fluttered open to the sound of loud banging in the kitchen. She was still out of it and the only thing she could remember was driving Yerim’s new car too fast and crashing into a tree. She could still hear her sister’s cursing and screaming at her to stop the car but she couldn’t. Why couldn’t she?

 

The loud banging in the kitchen pulled the girl from her thoughts as she sat up, quickly realizing she was back at home but something seemed .. odd? The living room looked familiar but different at the same time, this wasn’t usually how the living room was set up and she was sure they had a bigger tv.

 

Hyunjin just shrugged it off, her head was pounding she didn’t even have the energy to question it right now. The tall girl stood up from the couch making her way to the kitchen where she spotted a familiar blonde cooking something. The kitchen seemed different too, the floor was even the way it was when she was a little girl. Hyunjin was sure by now she hit her head too hard and is now imagining things, but she couldn’t take her eyes off the checkered floor.

 

“Oh god you scared me!” The blonde dropped the metal spoon in the pot and held her chest dramatically, taking deep breaths “S-sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you I just heard a noise”

 

The blonde turned back towards the pot shaking her head “yeah I’m so sorry about that, I’m such a klutz sometimes. but the soup is ready I’m happy you’re up!” The only thing that seemed normal was the woman in front of her, her mother. she was usually always bright and animated when she spoke and she definitely was a klutz. Yerim and her acted just a like, she couldn’t stand when they were together they would never shut up.

 

Wait-

 

“Where’s Yerim and Hyejoo?”

 

“Who?”

 

The blonde turned towards the younger girl furrowing her eyebrows in confusion “when I found you, you were alone. I don’t remember anyone else with you- or did I even check?” The taller girl asked herself before grabbing a bowl and pouring the soup in, grabbing a spoon and handing it to the equally confused girl sitting at the table.

 

Hyunjin just stared at the blonde, observing her features. She looked a lot younger than just a few hours ago, did she do something to her face? Unable to keep shut Hyunjin blurted out “You look weird, did you do something different?” The blonde just blushed and ran her fingers through her hair, nervously laughing

 

“Uh I kinda dyed my hair, do you like it?” Hyunjin didn’t respond to that completely ignoring her question and asking another “wait you just dyed it? like recently?”

 

The blonde nodded giggling at Hyunjin’s face, it was scrunched up in confusion like she was trying to figure out a math problem. Okay, something was definitely up. Jinsol had been blonde ever since she was born and her mom was looking much younger and skinnier than just a few hours ago. The house looked different, everything was just different.

 

Hyunjin gasped out loud slapping her hand to , covering it. “Am I- am I dead?” Jinsol laughed at that “No silly, I saved your life. You’re welcome by the way now eat your soup before it gets cold” Jinsol forced fed the younger girl before she could get another word out. Jinsol was looking at her funny and it made her uncomfortable, like the way she would look at Mom when she would explain something or when she wanted to stare at her.

 

Wait-

 

“Where’s mom?” Hyunjin barely got out from how much soup Jinsol stuffed in . “Your mom?” Hyunjin nodded swallowing the hot soup. “I was hoping you could tell me that”  How could she not know where her wife was? Was this some sort of joke they were playing on her for crashing Yerim’s car? Was Yerim and Hyejoo in on it? What the was going on?

 

“I mean she’s your wife shouldn’t you know?” Jinsol physically tensed up at that, like it was something forbidden to talk about. “I’m .. not gay.” Jinsoul placed the spoon in the bowl and sat up straight, staring at the younger girl in confusion.

 

“Oh bull, I know Yerim and Hyejoo put you up to this”

 

“What are you talking ab-“

 

“Come on mom, enough already. I had a long day and I just want love and cuddles from both of my mother’s is that too much to ask for?” Jinsol didn’t respond, instead she was looking pretty much terrified right now once Hyunjin locked eyes with her. “I think I should take you to the hospital or something and let them call your mother” Jinsol stood up cleaning up the soup that Hyunjin didn’t finish eating.

 

“I don’t need a hospital- mom it’s 2019 you really think I’m gonna fall for this?” That made Jinsol freeze in her spot, her back was turned so Hyunjin couldn’t see her reaction but Hyunjin assumes she knew her little facade was up and that the younger girl could see right through her. Until Jinsol unfroze and walked to the sink placing the bowl in there and slowly turning around leaning against the counter. She stared at the floor and Hyunjin thought she actually looked terrified and confused.

 

“Just tell me those idiots put you up to this and-“

 

“1997.”

 

Jinsoul randomly blurted out still keeping eye contact with ugly checkered floor. “What-“

 

“It’s 1997.”

 

Now Hyunjin was the terrified one, of course like any normal human being who knows time travel is indeed a myth, she was in denial. There’s no way she was in 1997 when just a few hours ago it was 2019. “Look I don’t know who you are, or where you came from but I honestly believe you hit your head pretty hard. Especially if you’re accusing an eighteen year old girl of being your mom” EIGHTEEN?!

 

Hyunjin was frozen, she was dreaming or in a coma or something there was no way this was real life. But the more the blonde spoke the longer Hyunjin observed her and she in fact did not look the same. Hyunjin heart started beating faster as she put two and two together. The living room looking exactly like how it was when her mother was younger, the kitchen as well. Hyunjin looked all around the kitchen, the pictures hanging on the front of the fridge and all over the walls.

 

But still in denial, Hyunjin refused to believe that she was in 1997. I mean would you believe it? It would take a lot for this to be convincing Hyunjin thought to herself but that was proven to be a lie when someone walked into the kitchen.

 

“Hey sweetheart whatcha cookin- oh hello who’s your new friend Jindori?”

 

Hyunjin felt the life drain from her body as she stared at the tall man. “Grandpa..” Hyunjin whispered to herself so it was hard for the two across from her to hear.  “Oh I helped her out she got hurt, I’m gonna take her to the hospital to get her checked out though. She’s being weird.” Jinsol whispered the last part causing the tall man to laugh out loud. That laugh.

 

Hyunjin was sure she was staring too hard but she couldn’t help it, that laugh brought so many memories back. Hyunjin was convinced this was all a sick dream her mind was playing because of the fall or whatever the hell happened but that laugh was real. She had so many dreams about her grandfather, about his smile and laugh and none of them ever sounded as real as it did right now.

 

“What’s the matter kiddo, you look like you saw a ghost” He laughed again and Hyunjin wanted to crawl in his arms and cry. “Told you she's weird”

 

“If you’re not feeling too hot I can drive you guys down to the hospital” Mr. Jung offered and Hyunjin had to think quickly. If she really was in 1997 there would be absolutely no record of her, she didn’t exist right now and if anyone knew Jinsol better than anyone it was her own daughter. She wouldn’t stop trying to help until Hyunjin found her “parents” and was safe. And that wasn’t possible right now.

 

“N-no no, it’s all good I think the fall just has my head all messed up. Is it okay if I just y’know crash on the couch, it’s a little too late to go home” Hyunjin nervously rubbed the back of her neck.

 

“Alright no problem, ahh also Jindori don’t forget to pick up the dress for your mother tomorrow morning” Mr. Jung reminded the blonde and she nodded giving him a enthusiastic thumbs up. Hyunjin watched him walk out of the kitchen in horror. This just couldn’t be real.

 

“You’re staring mighty hard there, don’t tell me you think my dad is cute?” Jinsol spoke up crossing her arms and making a disgusted face. Hyunjin wanted to throw up “ew- I mean no, no of course not. It’s just he looks a lot like my grandad ..” Hyunjin unintentionally stared at the fridge door where all the pictures were. A picture of Jinsol with her parents and ... auntie Jungeun? With blonde hair? “what the ” Hyunjin whispered to herself.

 

“Woah really? How old is grandad now?” It was Hyunjin’s turn to tense up but she realized there was no point in getting defensive over it. “He passed away.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry..”

 

Hyunjin waves the apology off, going back to focus on the pictures. “Hm let me guess I look a lot like your mom too?” Hyunjin pulled her attention away from the pictures once again to face Jinsol “identical” the younger girl responded. “Sorry about that by the way, I know it’s weird to hear” Jinsol nodded and finished cleaning up, waving off the apology. “Don’t worry about it, it’s Busan I would be more worried if weird didn’t happen, you know?” Hyunjin nodded giving the blonde a soft smile.

 

“Well I’m gonna head to bed, there’s a pillow and a blanket on the small couch. Make yourself comfortable and I guess I’ll see you tomorrow morning” Jinsol pointed towards the living room and Hyunjin’s eyes followed, turning back around to see Jinsol holding her hand out. “What was your name by the way?”

 

“Hyunjin. Jung- K-kim Hyunjin” Hyunjin replied shaking the blonde’s hand, who blushed in response. Gross.

 

Jinsol walked out and Hyunjin sighed out in relief, looking around the kitchen one last time before making her way to the living room. Hyunjin wasn’t even sure if she wanted to sleep, would she even be able to after that? She hit her head pretty hard if it brought her back 22 years into the ing past.

 

Hyunjin stared at the ugly dark green paint on the living room wall, trying her hardest to figure out how she got here in the first place. All she did was step into the car, drive and crash what could’ve possibly went wrong? In pure frustration Hyunjin brought her hands to her face, she wanted desperately to scream but she didn’t know how thin the walls were and she didn’t want Jinsol waking up asking more questions. All Hyunjin could really do is think and think and think and- laugh?

 

“God this sounds like the ing plot to that movie Yerim made me watch yesterday” Hyunjin said in between laughs, her laughs getting quieter the more she realizes something.

 

“Oh I have to find Yerim.”

 

———————————————

Ahh so this is the triplet line fic with more yvesoul that I was talking about :)

sorry about the short chapter, the others will be longer I promise. hope you enjoy ! 

twitter - @lipysoul