Fin

Goodbye
Please log in to read the full chapter

Minjoo saw her knuckles turning white. How long she had her hands balled to fists, she had no idea. Her mind wailed in agony; a part of her wanted to stay professional by engaging the woman across the table with small chit-chat, yet the other kept pressuring her to ignore the woman.

The commercials eventually came to an end and she half-heartedly turned her attention back as Sakura's voice mellow through the headphone. She listened as the Japanese listed the sponsors for the radio program, shifting the paper to the side once another commercial played on.

Minjoo cursed under her breath when her eyes - for the nth time - accidentally landed on the shiny gold adorning the older's finger. A heartbreaking reminder that the engagement is real. Sakura is going to marry her boyfriend of four years soon.

"While we were listening to the commercials, two letters came in." Sakura shifted her eyes from the paper to Minjoo, "Let's read the first letter first, ne, Minjoo?"

The staff put a paper in front of her, probably fresh from the printer since the paper is still warm. She saw the older urged her to read through the corner of her eyes which she responded with a small smile.

"Alright. From radio name: Tamayuki-san. Thank you very much. Today is my birthday and I got to hear Minjoo-san's voice while studying. This is the best birthday present ever. Minjoo-san, I'll be waiting for your movie roadshow. Fighting!" Minjoo finished reading the letter then put the paper down, leaning closer to the microphone, "Tamayuki-san, happy birthday!"

Sakura clapped her hands in the background. "Thank you for the letter, Tamayuki-san, though I thought my voice alone is enough to uplift your birthday. So you prefer Minjoo over me?" Sakura teased, faking cries before giggling, "Once again, happy birthday, Tamayuki-san! Hope you have a wonderful day!"

Minjoo watched in silence as the older smoothly wrapped the segment. She looked so professional and in her element whenever she speaks to the microphone, a sight that Minjoo missed so much. She has emceed for a short radio program back in Korea before but the ambiance was totally different from Sakura's program. Maybe it was the language? Culture? Or experience? Minjoo didn't bother to find the answer right away because she was so focused on burning the image of the older woman permanent into her mind.

"Let's move to the second letter," Sakura's voice forced her attention back and Minjoo blinked, shifting her eyes down to the second paper in front of her. "From radio name: Sakusaku-san. Thank you very much. Miyawaki-chan, good evening! I'm happy to hear about your engagement. But I need advice; my ex is going to marry soon. I want to wish her a happy marriage but I don't know what to say without being awkward. Thanks in advance!"

Minjoo drew a sharp breath, quickly leaning away from the microphone. She shifted her eyes to the staff with mixed feelings. She doubted the staff picked that fan letter intentionally since no one knew about what happened between them. Heck, she bet most of the former IZ*ONE members didn't know about her feelings.

Sakura blinked, "Uh...what to say to your ex that is going to marry? I think it depends on some factors, like do you still have romantic feelings to your ex, or how you break up with each other, so I don't think I know the exact answer. I'm sorry, Sakusaku-san." Sakura let out a small laugh before shifting her eyes to the Korean, "Ah, but Minjoo, didn't you play a character that is a bit similar to this?"

The gear in Minjoo's pretty head rotated, trying to dig a certain memory buried deep in the bottom. A memory she would love to forget but will never be able to. It was her first theatre play where she played the second lead; a woman who was torn between wishing her boyfriend a happy marriage with his fiancee decided by his family, or ask him to abandon everything and run away for their love, That play became a big hit which sent Minjoo's career rocketing to the top, raining positive critics and laurels for her superb acting.

It was expected, actually, since she acted out of her experience and personal feelings. Of course, it'd be natural.

"Uhm, it was exactly what Kkura-unnie said. But since Kkura-unnie mentioned Choi Yesung, there was this one song that I often play during practice to understand Yesung's character better."

"Really?" Sakura raised her tone with interest. Minjoo was among the few members that rarely appeared in the group chat post the group's disbandment, so small details like these were new to Sakura's ears and she'd be more than happy to hear them. The Japanese leaned to the side, scrolling through the list of songs stored in the database. She hoped the staff has that song, whatever the title is.

"What is the title?"

"It was an old song. Matsuda Seiko-san's Anata ni Aitakute."

Minjoo saw a slight pause in Sakura's movement. The Japanese unconsciously shifted her eyes to the side. She must have known what the song was about but quickly masked her expression as she typed on the keyboard to do a quick search.

"I love that song. It was so nostalgic." Sakura forced some comments, clicking on the song before turning to the staff through the window where she received an okay sign. "Since Minjoo-san recommended it, let's play that song before we move to another segment."

The ramp started to play in the background which Minjoo leaned back against the backrest unceremoniously. Sakura avoided her eyes as the Japanese spoke into the microphone.

"Please listen to it; Matsuda Seiko-san's Anata ni Aitakute ~Missing You~"

Minjoo watched the Japanese across the table busied herself with her papers, obviously avoiding her. A sorrowful smile plastered upon Minjoo lips, listening to the verse that was about to come and closed her eyes.

Closing the door of our room
I said goodbye to the memories
Since then, it has been half a year
I can finally smile
I have been busy
I am living a new life my own way

The chorus blasted against her ears, sending swords and arr

Please log in to read the full chapter