end.

Becoming...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That smirk. Minju hated and loved that smirk at the same time; hated because it meant that Chaewon was planning something mischievous, which more often than not, would involve Minju as the victim, and loved because that smirk revealed a more playful side to Chaewon that others don’t often see. This time that smirk involved Minju’s face plastered with cake when she arrived home as Chaewon laughed uncontrollably while Minju only frowned, hoping that there better be something else Chaewon prepared for her birthday.

She was properly rewarded with a kiss from Chaewon in which Chaewon took the opportunity to taste some of the cake herself and Minju couldn’t help but respond with a smirk of her own. In those moments the two felt as if they were alone in the world and the nagging effects of reality were subdued, even if it was just for a short moment in time.

Chaewon would then throw a towel at Minju’s face, wiping off the remaining remnants of the pastry before they both settled down on the floor. Minju’s apartment lacked much furniture and save for a small coffee table and a minuscule television set that dated back more years than it should have, the living room was absolutely barren. It was simplicity at its finest. So it would only prove as a surprise when Chaewon lavished Minju with a beautiful and quite pricey necklace that shimmered in white gold and a noticeable diamond inlaid heart pendant. The two had always rejected the idea of expensive gifts in return for quaint dinners at home and peaceful strolls in the park as a date.

“Chae,” Minju kept eyeing the gift as she played with it in her hands, “you didn’t have to. This must’ve cost you a fortune.”

“I wanted to,” Chaewon replied with another smirk. She was indeed proud of the gift that she had meticulously searched for and chosen all for this special moment to see Minju’s reaction. “Because,” she teased with a sly smile, “I love you and with me debuting as a singer soon, I can finally afford to treat you to something nice once in a while.”

Minju gently bit her bottom lip before she set her eyes on the girl in front of her, “Thank you.” It was the simplest response that anyone could’ve given and in most circumstances, those two words of appreciation would have seemed inadequate for a gift of this caliber but Minju was different. Chaewon knew that it was rare for Minju to have someone splurge on gifts for her; to Chaewon, those words meant the world and it was certainly enough.

Minju deserved something nice. Minju, who had always lived her life working menial jobs and scrounging for money to save and to Chaewon’s surprise, discovered that the money was often used on gifts and dates or donated to the various strangers with donation boxes on the streets, deserved a break from having to worry about monetary issues. Chaewon had decided that after she debuts and starts making a steady income, she would provide Minju with all that she’s denied herself of over the years. However, Minju had her own problems with that. She always refused those acts of grace in which Chaewon would suggest they she would take Minju for a fancy dinner, suggesting that Chaewon save her money for herself and that she didn’t need any excessive show of money to charm her. Minju was the definition of a girl of humble origins; it permeated through her existence, which Chaewon didn’t mind at all. It proved to be one of the aspects in which Chaewon fell in love with.

Later in the night while the two had their backs against the wall, Minju’s head in Chaewon’s lap while her fingers fumbled at the necklace that was now worn around her neck, the television playing one of Jennifer Aniston’s romantic comedy movies, they couldn’t remember which one and their attention was barely given to it, Minju would ask shyly, “Chaewon, may I ask for one more gift from you?”

Chaewon’s half-dozing eyes shot open, her heart beating nervously and she timidly asked, “Why? Did you not like my gift?”

“No, no!” Minju shot up from her position as she set her gaze on the necklace, eyes b with affection. “I love it,” she whispered before facing Minju again, “I just wanted something that only you can give me.”

Chaewon saw Minju’s smile and she gave in, “What is it?”

“Wait right there!” Minju excitedly jumped up and ran into her room before returning with a blank sheet of paper and a permanent black marker, presenting them to Chaewon. “Your autograph.”

Chaewon laughed at the ludicrous response, which prompted Minju to draw her hands back a little, ready to retract her request. “Why do you want my autograph?” Chaewon asked the shy girl before reaching over and guiding Minju to sit beside her.

“When you get famous, I can say to everyone that I knew you and have proof. It could be worth a lot one day.”

“You’re thinking about selling my autograph?” A skeptical Chaewon eyed Minju disapprovingly.

“No, no!” Minju defended, waving her hands frantically in the air. “I meant it would be worth a lot to me and a lot to your fans. People would be jealous of me,” she smiled again, her soft voice sinking into the soft air.

“Of course they would,” Chaewon replied haughtily, “because you’re my girlfriend. But in honesty, I think people would be jealous of me if they just knew what a treasure you are.”

Minju giggled before giving Chaewon a play slap on the arm, “So will you sign it?” Minju presented the paper and marker again, pushing it towards Chaewon.

“No.” It was a haste and stiff response. A disappointed Minju withdrew her hands again before Chaewon can speak up, “Wait here, okay?”

It was Chaewon’s turn to get up and suddenly disappear into Minju’s room. Chaewon rummaged through Minju’s closet before finding what she needed. Peeking into the living room, Chaewon caught glimpse of Minju who playfully fiddled with the marker, scribbling some things onto the paper before bringing the piece of paper to her nose and taking a large whiff. Disgusted with the smell, Minju pro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter