Final

Brothers

"You're hurt." Donghae murmured while stared blankly at Hyukjae's left hand which was now covered in thick bandage. "Because of me." He added guiltily. His eyes were red and puffy caused by too much of crying.

Hyukjae followed Donghae's gaze and smiling nervously. "No big deal. I'm fine." Came the reply from the older man and waving his other hand dismisively.

He lied.

His whole body was aching. Even his cheek sting. But he tried his best not to wince and not to make Donghae feel more miserable. No way he would admit it.

Donghae clutched the hem of his own shirt quite hard. Eyebrows furrowed down and his lower lips was trapped between his teeth, Hyukjae worried it would bleed. "But still, you have a broken arm now."

Hyukjae frowned, but then a teasing smile plastered on his bruised face. He streched out his right hand to mess up the soft brunette hair on top of Donghae's head.

"Aww.. Does my sweet little brother worry about me? How cute." He said and chuckled when Donghae sent him a death glare. Well, not that deadly since Donghae decided to puff his cheeks. There was  a sentence of I'm not cute hanging on his tongue.

"Makes me want to get hurt everytime." Hyukjae continued almost truthfully.

Donghae's eyes widen because of it before he snapped, "Don't be stupid!" The memory of Hyukjae falling down the hill when replaced his place was still fresh on his mind. He still could remember how panicked he was when Hyukjae had lost his conscious down there and he needed the whole five hours waiting for Hyukjae in the hospital nearby. His brother was discharged not too long after that with broken arm, bruised cheek and bump in the back of his head.

All because of him.


"Well, I'm not the stupid one who decided to chase after a wild animal for a picture and almost fall down the hill though." Hyukjae said teasingly. Tilting his head. Though there was a hint of worry in his voice. "Luckyly there was this hero on duty."

Donghae flinced and lowered his head in shame immediately. Hands rested neatly on his lap. "You are right."His tiny frame really support the image of a child who was getting an awful lectures. "I'm sorry."

Hyukjae blinked several times, confused of the sudden change in Donghae's demeanor.  
"Uh. Donghae. I didn't mean to say that you are stupid."

"You just did."

"But I-"

"Twice."

Silence. It was like they suddenly trapped in the heavy akwardness.

"A-anyway," Hyukjae started again and this time he rubbed the back of his neck, feeling uneasy. "Don't be so reckless again, Donghae. You could've gotten yourself injured worse than me."

"You don't have to save me, though."

"And let you fall? Do you think I would do that?" He sighed tiredly. "I'm your brother, Hae. I have responsibility to protect you."

"We are not blood related."

That's even better.

"Even so I still want to protect you! because I-"
I love you.


Donghae raised his head when he no longer heard Hyukjae's reply. His brother was looking at him with the kind of loving eyes and a bit sad. Donghae didn't dare to guess what was that mean. Because in fact, he was scared inside. He didn't want to acknowledge Hyukjae's true feeling for him. Although the older had always been showed everything. From his words to his actions. Everything hinted love.

"I just want to protect you." His brother repeated. This time he looked serious.

And Donghae knew there was a little lie in Hyukjae's words.

"Sorry."

"Stop saying sorry and promise me you won't be like that again. I can't always be there to prevent something bad happen to you."

"I said you don't have to-"

"We are not talking about this again." Hyukjae cut his words off.  Donghae could be stubborn sometimes. Putting Hyukjae on his nerve.

What he got for a reply was a deep pout. Sulky face and silent curse.

Hyukjae chuckled. "Now, be a good little brother and kiss my pain away."

And Donghae did right away, much to Hyukjae surprise. He gently lifted Hyukjae's injured hand toward his lips and kissed it affectionaly. More than once.

"Thank you for saving me." Donghae whispered. "Get better soon."

"I'll be fine as long as you are here."

"...I know."

Donghae didn't want to admit but he felt something warm inside his chest. He was scared but at the same time he was happy. Even more so when Hyukjae leaned over and kissed his forehead. Slow and sweetly.

Donghae wasn't sure what to feel anymore.

"Hug me?" Hyukjae demanded further. And Donghae complied, again. He carefully wrapped his arms over Hyukjae's neck, resting his head on his shoulder.

"You know what? It's quite scary that you did everything that I asked you to right now." Hyukjae lightly chuckled.

"Shut up."

"What if I asked you to kiss me?"

"I already did th-"

"On my lips."

Donghae shifted on his position and stared at Hyukjae's dark eyes.

"I won't do that." He said almost hesitated.

"Sure you won't. That's why I used the word if." There was this understanding smile blossomed on Hyukjae plump lips.

Donghae replied quickly while shaking his head. "No."

Both of Hyukjae eyebrows raised. "Hm?"

"I- I won't do that if you asked me playfully."

"Do what?"

"K-kiss you."

Hyukjae was lost for a second. He didn't know where this conversation would lead them to. Was Donghae answered him truthfully? Or.. what?

"So... you will really kiss me on my lips if I asked you nicely?"

"And r-romantically."

Hyukjae was beyond dumbfounded now. Was this really Donghae who was currently sitting and blushing in front of him? The Donghae, his little brother, not related by blood, who never looked at him the way he did?

"Why?" Hyukjae found himself asking. His eyes never left Donghae's as he was looking for something inside those beautiful pair of eyes. Something that could make him forget about anything else and only focused on Donghae. Something similar to affection.

"B-because you were getting hurt because of me. And I- I want to do something for you too. If you want me to k-kiss you... then I will."

Well, Hyukjae should have known that.

"So it is because you feel guilty then?"

"I-"

"Silly." Hyukjae interupted. "If you feel you have the obligation to listen to me just because I'm being your hero, then don't. I won't take any advantages from you, Donghae."

No, no. It's not like that. Donghae mentally slapped himself for not be able to convey his words correctly. "You don't understand!" He snapped instead, startled Hyukjae.

"What I don't understand?"

"I'm scared! You are my brother and your family is so nice to me. I.. How can I say I love you when you are- w-when your family- and my father-" Tears were gathered in Donghae's eyes. His breath short as he panted. But Hyukjae just smiled at him reasuringly.

"You have a lot of mistakes to be fixed, dear. Firstly, you don't have to be afraid when you realize you have feelings for someone . Everyone needs to love and to be loved. Second, they are your family too. Our mom will sad if she heard you saying those stupid words. And lastly," Hyukjae reached for the back of Donghae's head and then pressing their forehead together. Looking directly at his glittering eyes. So pretty and perfect. Donghae was beautiful even when he cried, and from this close distance Hyukjae had fallen for him more deeper. "Do you think I will do like what your father did to you? To your mother? I won't ever leave you for another person, Hae. You know that. I love you more than anything else."

There was so much love in Hyukjae's eyes and Donghae couldn't run anymore. He couldn't hide his feelings anymore. Before he knew it, he finally said, "I love you." almost quietly but Hyukjae  heard him. Clear and loud ringing in his ears.

Hyukjae smiled, widely. "I can't hear you."

This bastard.

"I love you!"

The older moved closer, leaving no space between their face and pecked Donghae's thin lips. "Say those words again."

"I love you." Donghae's lids closed.

And they kissed. Donghae cluthed Hyukjae's front shirt when Hyukjae started to caress his head soothingly.

And for the fisrt time since a long time ago, Donghae felt completed. Hyukjae was here, Hyukjae will make him happier. Hyukjae was his. Finally he could admit it. And he was beyond happy.






"So it needs me to get hurt pretty bad for you to realize your feelings, huh?"

"Shut up."