Top Shelf

Top Shelf (One-shot)
 
My day had stretched long and I was finally done with my work reaching home late in the evening. Yet again there had been complications at work and everyone who was actually responsible for the stuff had split leaving me to clean up the mess late into the night.
 
My back was aching and I had no food ready in my fridge so I decided to make a middle-of-the-night run to the convenience store around the block. Not really bothering with my looks and what I was wearing, I put on my sandals and a light laced white long sleeved shirt. I had changed into mini-skirt jeans when I had gotten home so I didn't feel like changing out of them.
 
It was around one in the morning and the streets were perfectly quiet and empty. A few cats roamed the streets and hissed at me as I approached eventually scattering once I got too close. I liked nights like these. It was a cloudy night so the streets were completely dark rendering the familiar streets into a whole new world of its own; a place to calm my busy head and leave all the troubles of work behind.
 
Quite often I would get my snack from the shop and then sit outside my apartment munching on it while enjoying the serenity of the moment. My apartment had a night guard so I didn't have to worry that much about my safety outside in the dead of night. The neighbourhood was also a good place to live with very little ever happening around here. I couldn't actually remember a single incident during the four years that I had been living here.
 
The late night runs had become increasingly more regular as my work rhythm shifted from a standard eight to five work day to an eight to ten in the night. If this continued for much longer I would eventually have to confront my boss about it.
 
I didn't like my boss. He was an older uncle who liked it when younger woman acted all cute to him and gave perks accordingly. I really thought he was creepy and I wasn’t one to fish for favours with my cuteness, even though I'm the queen of it, which results in me having to constantly work overtime doing the other peoples work. Maybe I could go back to school to complete that degree I was getting to become a pre-school teacher? I absolutely love young children, or kids in general.
 
I arrived at the store, the girl at the counter greeting me as I entered before turning back to tend to the only other customer in the shop. I walked past the rows of drinks that lined one of the long walls. Cold or hot, sweet or bitter, large or tiny, the selection was endless. Walking past the soft drinks and beers to the milk section at the end of the row, I fished out my favourite strawberry milk; the stuff was just absolutely divine.
 
After getting the milk I walked over to the bread section. I had a particular one in mind; an extra soft bread with delicious chocolate and cream filling, one of my favourites. Most people thought it was too sweet but for me it was just right. The way the soft vanilla cream poured over the chocolate when you took a bite, spilling out and mingling with the extra soft bun in your mouth creating an orchestra of mouth watering sensations. I bought it a couple of times a week, making sure that I didn't over-eat it and so spoil myself with the taste.
 
As I got to the bread section, a full wall length area with high shelves and a multitude of breads for all kinds of people, no matter how long I looked for it I couldn't spot it. After spending a couple of tormenting minutes looking for it with no results I peeked behind the corner of shelves directing my attention to the girl at the counter. She seemed to be in the middle of dealing with another customer but my issue was much more important so I called out to her.
 
"Hey excuse me, are you out of Pasco choco-cream breads? I can't find them from their usual spot."
 
The girl apologized to the other customer before shouting back. "No we aren't out of them; we just moved them to the right corner at the far end!"
 
"Aaah, okay then. Thank you!" I chimed back before quickly shuffling my way across the breadth of the shelf to the right side.
 
Scanning the shelf left to right I still couldn't find the darn thing. I almost called out to the girl again before I looked up way above my regular field of vision which is pretty low, curse my short stature. The choco-cream was the third last item in the right corner and at the top most shelf. Why?! Why must you be so high up you delish thing. I reached up with my hands stretched as far as they could go, knowing full well the result.
 
No game. Damn. I looked around to see if there was any chair or steps close by to use but no such luck.
 
Rolling up my sleeves I knew what this meant, I would have to climb. I took off my sandals and stepped on the lowest shelf trying to reach for it in hopes that I wouldn't have to climb, my whimpers echoing through the store as my reach was just too short. I let out a long sigh. I guess I had no choice.
 
Placing my left leg onto the second shelf while my right leg took support from the large cylindrical candy basket in the corner, I reached out slowly, scared that I would break something, my whimpers of frustration becoming louder, touching the corner of the bread, catching it from the edge...
 
"Would you li-"
 
That was all I was able to hear from behind me just as I grabbed onto the bread before falling back down expecting an abrupt and violent stop and a painful . Instead of getting a whole of hurt my landing was rather comfortable as I pummelled into someone behind me, the person falling rapidly onto the floor like a cut tree and myself diving into the person.
 
The next moment as I opened my eyes, I found my cheeks on the soft smooth stomach of a long slender girl. As I peered up to look at the slightly pained expression on the persons face my heart stopped and I most definitely stopped breathing for that moment. She was a milky white skinned girl, her long brown hair flowing freely down past her shoulders. Cute lips rested on her perfectly sculpted face and her cat’s eyes looked at me with curiosity as my face began to blush. This person was an angel, and I had just crashed into one.
 
I tried to get a sound out of my vocal chords which for some reason had stopped working. The only thing that happened was my mouth open wider as I tried to ask the simple question...
 
"Are you alright?" The girl asked me and gave a small smile that was filled with concern towards me. My mouth moved but nothing came out. My throat was absolutely dry.
 
"That was quite a fall. You aren't hurt right?" she asked again. I was slowly regaining my senses and registered what she was saying. While still resting my head on the comfortable tummy of this angelic figure I gave a wide grin and lifted my hand that held the bread high.
 
"I got what I came for so I'm fine and my landing was better than expected thanks to you,” I cheerfully boasted before I realized just how embarrassing the scene was and hastily scrambled onto my own feet, my face turning an unnatural shade of red. I quickly reached my hand down to the girl.
 
"I'm so so so so so sorry! I hope you aren't hurt!" I rapidly shouted my apologies while the girl grabbed onto my outstretched hand and I helped her off the floor.
 
"I'm fine, you were the one who could have ended up seriously hurt. I'm glad nothing serious happened and that I could help, even if it wasn't exactly the way I had originally intended to," the girl responded as she stood up. She was wearing a light yellow top, a simple long-sleeved woolly shirt and blue shorts. She was tall and pretty, her legs something to cause envy in any girl.
 
"Why didn't you ask for help?" She asked and I looked to the floor while my tongue rolled in my mouth against my right cheek, almost piercing right through.
 
"It's... embarrassing. I hate being incapable of doing things just cause I'm short," I answered. The girl’s mouth opened wide like a lion as she let out a high-pitched giggle before it began to rhythmically stop, as if she was running out of breathe. I looked up at her in wonder, was she laughing at me? Shouldn't I feel offended or something?
 
I quirked an eyebrow as she got a hold of herself and her laughing stopped. She cleared and looked back at me with apologetic eyes. My heart melted. How could anyone get mad at someone like her?
 
"I'm sorry for that. I'm glad everything is fine now. You have your bread and I have my food stuffs. I… should get going," the girl smiled, bowed, and hastily made her way towards the exit.
 
"My name is Nayeon!" I shouted after her just as she exited the shop. I wasn't sure if she heard me.
 
----
 
It was about one in the morning and I stepped into the cooled environment of the convenience store. It had been pretty hot outside for the past week even during the night, the sundown bringing with it no respite, so the air conditioned confines felt divine. The shop keep greeted me as I entered and I walked to the right for a cold drink. I had been sweating like crazy and had come straight home from training so I chose a sports drink.
 
"Is it okay if I open this now? I'll be buying it!" I shouted in the general direction of the shop keep, waving the drink over the shelves of the store.
 
"Sure, go ahead!" he shouted back and I opened the drink as I walked over to the snack section trying to figure out what I could eat for tonight. Walking past the noodle section I arrived at the soup selection where a person was rummaging through one of the bottom shelves, clearly searching for something specific. I turned to look at the shelves eyeing at the person still looking for that particular brand of something that was situated at the end of the row.
 
"Hah! I found you!" A cute high pitched voice travelled from the corner and I watched as the person pulled out their head from within the shelf.
 
"You thought you could hide from me didn't you?" The person continued as they came into full view straightening their body. She had a wide smile stretched across her face and her eyes were shut tight as she smiled forming two perfect crescents. Wearing a white one-piece summer dress, her hair tied into one simple ponytail I noticed who she was; it was the same person from last week who tried to climb the shelves.
 
My face began to turn red as I remembered the soft touch of the girl and her cheerful and later embarrassed smile after falling on me, and before I could catch myself I had instinctively started to walk in her direction. Why was that? I stood behind her.
 
"It's... Nayeon, right?" I asked her. The girl turned around with a puzzled look on her face before recognition hit her. opened wide and the eyes followed suite as she realized who I was.
 
"Y-ye-yeah. That's me..." she was able to get out of before ran dry and she choked on her own words. Last time we met, the moment and the feelings it had brought up had been too shocking for me. So shocking that I quickly escaped the shop after making sure that she was alright. She had shouted her name just before the doors had closed behind me.
 
Nayeon.
 
That name and person had been haunting me for the whole week and now she was here again.
 
The moment I had noticed that the girl in the middle of the shelves was her, the feelings from our last meeting that night resurfaced. Her touch had been so soft and her curves were even softer. As she was laying on my stomach, her cute bubbly cheeks were warm to feel and the look and smile she had given me at that moment was heart stopping. I had wanted to revisit those moments and feelings I had felt for the past week, which was probably why my legs took me automatically to her when I saw her again.
 
"No need to climb up shelves this time?" I asked her with a cheeky grin before mentally slapping myself. Real smooth, really smooth. You might as well tell her she is a midget while you're at it. Whenever I get excessively nervous I find it hard to find any words to say, and if I do they are usually the wrong ones.
 
My comments had no effect on her though as her shocked expression stayed, her mind clearly having completely escaped her. She kept staring at me with that look and I started to blush slightly as her stare continued. The knowledge of her studying me from so close was nerve wrecking. Did she find a flaw in me? Did I look weird? Did she find me ugly? I had to break the silence.
 
"So, did you happen to find what you were looking for?" I asked her. She closed and a wide smile spread across her face again, her pink gums cutely peeking from under her lips, and she lifted her hand up waving the cylinder of salt sticks in her hand.
 
"Yes I did. I like these ones very much," she answered before her smile faded a little and she looked down slightly apologetic, "And about last time, I'm really sorry I crashed into you. I'm glad you didn’t get hurt."
 
She looked back up at me with a small smile her lips puckering slightly. I almost choked on my own drool. The cuteness she exhibited was out of this world.
 
"It's quite fine, nobody was injured," I smiled back at her and once again spread into a wide smile. We both stood there for a moment just smiling at each other before an awkward laugh escaped both of us. I looked at the floor moving my left foot in small circles.
 
"Well it was nice to bump into you again," she said abruptly. I looked back at her nodding in reply, somehow suddenly too shy to say anything as a response, even a simple yes. She started to walk backwards.
 
"I have to get going so hopefully I'll see you around," she gave a small nod before turning heel. I kept staring at her as she went to pay for her things and just as she was walking out of the shop she waved at me. I lifted my hand up and waved back when she stepped in front of the automatic doors.
 
"My name!" I shouted to her. She stopped and turned to look at me, "It's Jeongyeon!"
 
spread into a wide smile and her tongue peeked through her luscious lips before a small giggle escaped her. "See you later Jeongyeon!"
 
With that she stepped out the store and I was left there standing, smiling to myself like an idiot.
 
----
 
Today had been quite cold during the day though towards the evening the weather cleared a little which made the night pleasantly warm. I was walking once again towards the convenience store though I personally didn't need anything from the shop.
 
I left home earlier than usual to get there in advance. I wanted to be there early enough and surprise her. It had been almost a month since she first came crashing down, literally, into my life. Ever since then we had been seeing each other a couple of times a week at the shop, exchanged a short conversation, finding out more about each other little by little.
 
These short meetings at night kept on confirming the feelings that I had felt on that first night. She had intrigued me from the moment she had cut me off to ask about her bread, while I had been talking to the shop girl. And when the whimpers of frustration from the corner echoed into my ear I had gone to see what was going on. Her short and well rounded figure, struggling to reach the top shelf had looked irresistibly adorable which had eventually prompted me to give a helping hand.
 
I don't know if we would have met without that night and now the situation had reached a point from which there was no backing out. I wanted to meet her outside the confines of the shop during day time and go do something together. Whether our relationship could mature beyond just meeting at the shop I had no idea, but I had to try. This attempt could ruin everything good that had happened so far, even if it wasn’t a lot.
 
The thought of seeing her at the shop always got my heart beating faster and made me happy. Usually people would feel annoyed to go shopping for food at one in the morning, but for me it was something I would always eagerly wait for. I knew that if I left our relationship as a shop acquaintance for any longer it would never go beyond that point. Now was the time to make my move.
 
I arrived at the shop early enough, about twelve forty-five. The girl at the counter greeted as usual and I nodded back before quickly making my way to the milk section. I traced my fingers along the various bottles and choices before finally arriving at the correct one; a particular strawberry milk brand. I picked it up from the shelf and then made my way to the corner of the soup section. Kneeling down on my knees, I braved my arm into the varying choices of salt sticks before finding the correct one. Almost done.
 
I got up from the floor and ran to the right corner of the shop. This was the spot where it all had started at. A small smile spread across my cheeks as I once again remembered her petite form trying to reach the unreachable. I got on my toes and took out the choco-cream bread from the shelf.
 
With the shopping done I made my way to the counter. The girl looked at me from the corner of her eyes as I placed the items on the counter. She knew, she definitely knew who these were for. She put the items in a plastic bag as I paid for them and I thanked her before making my way to the door and stood next to the stores doors, a plastic bag in my hand. Now all that was needed anymore was her.
 
The night was getting colder as the clock struck one. Still nothing.
 
I shivered as the now cool night wind flew across the street at one thirty. Still alone.
 
I took a step back under the stores roof when it started to rain. Two o’clock.
 
How could this be? She was always here at one on Wednesday mornings. Always. I opened the bag to look at the goods I had bought; they were her favourite things. I had wanted to surprise her. Why wasn't she here? Had something happened? Or maybe she had gone to sleep early instead of doing what she always did.
 
It was raining so I couldn't stand under the stores roof the whole night. I would have to face the rain and get home to sleep. I looked down at the plastic bag hanging from my hands, sighed, and was about to leave...
 
"Would you like to share an umbrella?" A voice from my right spoke. I knew who it was and turned to face the speaker as she walked from the cover of the night into the light of the store, stopping a metre away from me. I stared into her eyes as her own disappeared into two slits. Her smile is just heart stopping. I tried to get a coherent sentence from my mouth but all that came out was a cough. She repeated her question.
 
"Would you like to share an umbrella?" She stuck her hand forward so that the umbrella no longer covered her from the rain and was over me. I smiled at the gesture. She was wearing an oversized yellow raincoat with a cute bunny picture on the right hem and yellow boots.
 
"Only if you let me hold it," I answered before breaking into a laugh as she stomped her feet furiously on the ground, splashing water from the puddle that had formed outside the shop. Her tongue poked the insides of her cheeks as she rolled it around, pretending to be angry.
 
"Are you saying I'm too short to hold it for us both?" She looked at me as she pulled the umbrella back over her head again letting me get soaked by the rain.
 
"No it's nothing like that," I told her as I took a step closer so I stood right in front of her and was now once again under her umbrella. "It's because I bought you these and you can't eat them if you are holding the umbrella."
 
I lifted the plastic bag up in front of her face. She took a peek inside before another smile spread across her face as she noticed the contents. She bit her lower lip with her teeth and looked back at me.
 
I took the umbrella from her as she fished out the strawberry milk and opened it up. We started to walk back into the night, our silhouettes from the storefront illuminated by the lights vanishing into the shadows.
 
It was our first date.