01 - The Best Friend

My best friend, Hwang Hyunjin.

It was warm when Hana woke up. She was conscious but she didn't want to open her eyes yet. She could hear the chirping of the birds, making her certain that it was only around seven or eight in the morning. Unable to fall back to sleep, she reached out for her phone that lay just beside her head.

The first thing that caught her attention was not how bright the screen was, but the message from her best friend. It read : Oi. What are you up to today?

She squinted at the message, wondering what he wanted so early in the morning. Replying to him, she said : Nothing. I just woke up.

Within a minute, there was a reply from him. His message seemed a little guilty as he sent : Did I wake you up?

Seeing that message put a small smile on her face. Although he acts like a most of the time, he's still concerned. Chuckling, she typed, Nah. It was so hot I woke up.

He immediately replied : Oh - Same. My accidentally switched off the air con while I was sleeping.

To this, she chuckled again. What a silly boy, she thought. She shook her head and sat up from her bed. She combed her fingers through her hair and wondered if she should go out today. During the past few days, she had been spending more time with her best friend, Hyunjin. Their plans always seem to clash with each other hence they're always meeting all the time.

Reaching out for her phone again, she immediately texted Hyunjin if he wanted to meet for lunch. The boy seemed excited as he replied back within a minute. Before she knew it, Hana was out on the streets, dressed simply in an over sized long sleeved shirt with jeans.

She wasn't really particular about dressing up and she was pretty comfortable wearing anything to meet up with her best friend. He'd seen so many phases of her to the point where she wouldn't mind wearing pajamas to meet him.

On the other hand, she did wonder if he was just gay- she stopped in her tracks, then shook her head. He would have told her if he was.

Right?

She stood at the entrance of the cafe they usually go to, engrossed in scrolling through her social media.

A light hit on her head snapped her out of her moment and she looked up to see Hyunjin smiling brightly at her. " What are you reading so intensely? "

It took her while to process him as a whole. She didn't even realise her expression was serious. Probably from the unexpected thought earlier.

Glancing him over, his hair was in a natural part more towards his left and he was dressed in a sweat shirt and jeans. Hana shrugged before locking her phone and stuffing it into her pocket. " Just scrolling through instagram and noticing how many selfies you post. " She snorted, rolling her eyes.

Hyunjin made a fake gasp, acting shocked before lightly hitting her on the shoulder. " You don't appreciate all the service I've given? " The shorter one returned a smack back onto his shoulder. " Please- I see you almost every day. " To this, he chuckles. That was true.

" So, what's up? " The two strolled in, naturally moving towards the counter. " We're in our last year, right? " Hyunjin started, his dimple appearing on his right cheek. He looked too excited it made Hana chuckle. She nodded for him to continue.

He immediately whipped out his phone, sliding here and there before showing the screen to her. " Let's go on a trip! " She sifted through the text and widened her eyes. " There? Really? "

The boy nodded enthusiastically. " You know we always wanted to do this! "

Needless to say, by Friday the two were already packed and ready. Hana and Hyunjin were in their last year of school and now it was break. What better time to go than now? The place he wanted to go to wasn't that far, but it wasn't that near either. Knowing that this was probably the only time they could go on a trip together, Hana gave in.

The two had planned to meet at the train station. It was a nice weather, not too hot nor too cold and Hana was already there by 11 in the morning. At first, she was worried if Hyunjin could wake up on time but after seeing the familiar figure in the distance, she was relieved.

A small smile rose to her face as she approached him sitting at the bench. He really wants to go on this trip, doesn't he?  She quickened her pace, slapping a hand onto his back when she reached behind him. " Yah! "

Hyunjin jumped a little before turning around. The moment his eyes met hers, they turned into crescents. " Gee, you really had to slap me on the back first thing in the morning? " He says cheerfully, despite his words.

Their train should be arriving in about 10 minutes, so the two discussed whether they should go to the hotel first or go to destination first.

After a long discussion, they decided to directly head to the destination. " It's not like we're carrying huge bags or anything.. " as Hyunjin said.

And so they embarked on an hour long trip to their destination. Of course, they sat next to each other. " I brought kimbab in case we got hungry. " Hana pulled out a container. Hyunjin stared at it eagerly, " I do want some but I do wanna save it for later... "

" Never mind, I'll eat one or two first. " he says, a kimbab already in his hand.

Looking at him, Hana laughed. Sometimes he really acts like a child.

It didn't take long for the two to fall asleep after eating the kimbab. This is probably one of the reasons why they are best friends. Eat, sleep, have fun and repeat. 

The two were snuggled against each other - Hana's head on his shoulder and his head on top of hers. There was undisturbed peace in those thirty to forty minutes. The low rumbling of the train and the sound of the air-con acted as an ambience layered by the sound of the two breathing on top of all of it.

 


 

Hi! I'm back with a Hyunjin fic and need I say that I love Stray Kids so much? I never thought I could love another group as much as I once loved BTS but Stray Kids has been the most relatable to me thus far. 

I'm Changbin's age and everyone else in SKZ is basically around my age too. Their lyrics speak so much truth,  is too relatable and also describes the way my life is currently going. They've given me so much, they feed STAYS so well and I have never been more proud to call myself a Stay. 

For those who need some songs from them to understand what I mean, listen to 19 - Stray Kids or M.I.A. Turn on the captions and you'll see what I mean. Not only do they have rappers who can sing and singers who can rap and everyone dances so well, they RELATE. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk, please await the other chapters.