Prologue

A Simple Simulation

Jimin had many, many, regrets in his life but right now his biggest regret was letting Seulgi and Haseul convince him to go to Jung Hoseok’s graduation party. Honestly Jimin should have stuck to his original never talk to these people again after school ended plan but no he was easily swayed by his friends promises of having fun and getting drunk together one last time. That plan had actually been going pretty well until Haseul’s stepsister called making her and Jimin’s ride leave – that was the first strike out of three, the second happened when Seulgi spotted her long time crush Irene all alone after breaking up with her boyfriend Bogum it was safe to say within seconds Jimin was ditched and long forgotten. The last and worst part of the night was when Jackson Wang, the captain of the school’s baseball team – as rich as he is dumb (honestly if it wasn’t for his parents rather large donation to the school Jimin seriously doubted he would have been graduating,) decided to stand up in the middle of the table, yelling out making sure everyone at the party was playing attention him and then proceeded to read out a confession letter that Jimin wrote two years ago for one Jeon Jungkook. The letter itself was bad, cringworthy to a T. Jimin had been greatly inspired by many K-Drama’s and romcom’s leading to a saccharinely sweet letter, honestly it was disgusting even by Jimin’s standard – and he was a true romantic at heart. The killer though wasn’t the embarrassment he was feeling at the very moment, the confused look on Jungkook’s face or even the fact he had just being outed by some wanker and was now being laughed by the entire of his classmates, no it was the betrayal he felt because he knew exactly how Jackson Wang, extradionare ended up with that letter. See he never actually gave the letter to Jungkook, poor 15 year old Jimin never got the chance, after a fight with his at the time bestfriend the letter suddenly went missing.

He spotted Taehyung easily, it was hard not to with his obnoxious blue hair and stupid tallness. Their eyes met for a the briefest of seconds and Jimin felt his heart shatter, sure him and Taehyung hadn’t been friends since that faithful night but he never thought he would be this cruel, if not for Jimin at least out of respect for the friendship they once shared. It was then he realized he couldn’t be here anymore, he couldn’t handle the jeers and curses or Jackson Wang explaining to Jaebum – another idiot, that it wasn’t the fat chick Park Jimin but the dude followed by him loudly announcing that Park Jimin is a . Jimin wasn’t a hugely athletic type of person but thanks to his small stature and years of dance he was able to maneuver his way out of the crowd and out this house of horrors with little too no effort. Jimin was proud of himself for at least getting into the front yard before tears started to fall. Why the would people do that? He honestly knew that the human race in general was pretty crumby, but to ruthlessly expose someone like without even a hint of compassion – men really were the worst and he couldn’t even begin to think about Taehyung’s actions, even just thinking of his name was hurting Jimin in the worst possible way. He had to stop thinking about the whole thing, he could mourn and hold his pity party later on when he was at home wrapped in several blankets surrounded by snacks blasting out Taylor Swift’s or Adele’s greatest break up hits, right now he had to focus on getting home. Where the did Jung Hoseok even live, his house was literally in the middle of nowhere. Jimin considered his options, he could try and ring his parents, but his mum was probably asleep and his dad was still at work and even if he did call them – oh god he’d be in trouble for going to this dumb party in the first place. He could call an uber but he had no money. If he knew were he was he would have attempted the walk home but who knows what would happen if he tried. So he was stuck, he tried to google where the near bus stop was but because Hoseok had to live on the outskirts of town he had very little coverage and what normal would take a few seconds was taking forever.

“Jimin I -,” Jimin never really believed people when they said someone’s voice affected them physically but right at the very moment he got it. His whole body tensed up, his jaw clenched teeth grinding against each other. His stomach dropped and his throat constricted leaving him desperately trying to get aware. Kim ing Taehyung had the audacity to come and try to talk to him after what had just happened. It was like Jimin had no control over his body anymore because before he knew it he had spun around and slapped Taehyung. His eyes darted between his now stinging hand and Taehyung who had stumbled back rubbing his cheek. Jimin couldn’t believe he just did that, normally he would apologize for his actions because no matter what his personal feelings to someone were he should never respond with violence but all that flew out the window when he spotted the hurt look on Taehyung dumb handsome face, how dare he look hurt? “You ing !” Jimin snapped pushing at Taehyung, honestly he was doing no damage but it made Jimin feel better. “How could you do that! I get we aren’t friends anymore because you care about more popularity then your oldest friend but this, this is just – was it some sort of joke to you? how could you!” he continued screaming. The tears he had tried to tame were now streaming down his face. The scene had started to gain attention people coming out of the house to watch this mess. Good, Jimin thought bitterly people should see what Taehyung was really like.

 

“Jimin hey man calm down,” Namjoon said running up to the pair, Jimin scoffed calm wasn’t really in his vocabulary right now and Namjoon was usually smarter then this surely he would understand why Jimin was mad but he supposes blood is thicker then water, ofcourse he would defend his half brother. “Look I know you had a rough night but take it out on Taehyung isn’t going to help anything –“ Namjoon said stepping between the two. Hoseok, Jungkook and Taehyung’s other ‘friends’ had also made there way outside. “How about I take you home, I think that might be the best thing right?” Namjoon suggested.

 

“I think you are wrong I think taking out on Taehyung well be very helpful, Namjoon if you know what he did you’d do the same – anyone would,” Jimin said glaring at his former bestfriend. Namjoon let out a heavy sigh, one that you would hear a kindergarten teacher make when telling with children.

 

“It’s not Taehyung’s fault you –“ Hoseok started to speak but was cut off by Jungkook elbowing his stomach. Jimin doubted it was because he felt any sympathy for Jimin, it was more off a don’t get involved dude thing but none the less Jimin appreciated the interruption. He didn’t want to hear anyone say it wasn’t Taehyung’s fault and he especially didn’t want to hear the end of to that sentence.

 

“Jimin your better than this” Namjoon said softly, placing a hand on Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin scoffed but his senses were finally coming back to him and it was true, he was better than causing a public scene and he was especially better than wasting his time on someone who cares so little for him. “I think you should call it a night,” Namjoon continued. Jimin just nodded stepping away from Taehyung throwing one last withering stares as he turned around walking in the opposite direction, he crossed his fingers hoping he was walking in the right direction because if he wasn’t and he would have to walk passed the crowd again – well that would just be embarrassing and he had a mortifying amount of embarrassment tonight already.

 

It turns out he was going the right way because Namjoon jogged upto him a few minutes later. “We are almost at my car,” Namjoon said, sounding a little breathless. Jimin felt a little bad for making Namjoon run, he wasn’t aware he was walking that fast. Jimin nodded, eyes widening in surprise when he saw the same blue Nissan Pulsar he was driving three years ago. If he remembered correctly, and he usually did when he wasn’t drunk, Namjoon had always said he was going to get a new car when he went to University and well he had been at Uni for the past two years.

 

“You have the same car?” Jimin questioned, tilting his head to look at Namjoon who just chuckled scratching the back of his neck.

 

“Yeah, turns out University not only steals your soul but also your money, who knew?” he joked. Jimin smiled, he had always liked Namjoon, even after his friendship had ended with Taehyung he still kept an eye out on Jimin helping him from time to time. He was like the cool older brother Jimin wished he had, why he was wasted on Taehyung was beyond him surely Jimin was more deserving of an older brother but alas he was an only child.

 

Jimin was hit with an overwhelming sense of gratitude, all things considered Namjoon shouldn’t even be helping Jimin – after all he just slapped his brothers head off. “Thanks Joon, I- “ he started to say, coming to a stop beside Namjoon’s car.

 

“Jimin, it’s fine you don’t have to say thank you,” Namjoon cut him off, “What happened tonight is – it’s a lot, if had known what Jackson was about to – look its really the least I could do, plus you’re a good kid,” Namjoon said, unlocking his car. “Now lets get you home, so we can all put this night behind us,” Namjoon said opening the passenger door for Jimin. Jimin nodded getting into the car, Namjoon getting in the drivers side almost instantly.

 

The drive to Jimin’s house was quiet, uncomfortably so, but as Jimin began to sober the harsh reality of what his life was going to be from now on had suddenly hit him. He had been outed, while not in the worst ways (he had read some outing stories that were scarier than most horror stories) it was still pretty bad. He supposes he would have to officially come out to his parents now, if he didn’t he was sure they would find out through someone else now. He was pretty sure his dad had an idea that Jimin wasn’t exactly straight and his mother well who knows but she had always been stuck on the idea that one day she would have grandchildren. He knew he would cope hate from the s who went to his old highschool, sure he was going to college and he probably wouldn’t see many of them again but their were still his socials, he shuddered to think what a mess they would be. Jeon Jungkook knew he had, or has a crush on him and it would never be returned but Jimin rather optimistically hoped he wouldn’t stoop to mocking him – Jimin had to believe that despite being the definition of a boy he was above that. And Taehyung, this night had bought up feelings he thought he squashed, his bestfriend had hurt and betrayed him yet again.

 

“Jimin we are here,” Namjoon said breaking Jimin out of his thoughts. Jimin looked upto see them parked in his street, either Hoseok didn’t actually live in the middle of nowhere and Jimin was grossly extravagating the distance or Jimin had been that zoned out he didn’t even notice how much time had passed. It really could be either option and at this point Jimin didn’t care to find out. “Are you going to be okay? Do you want me to come in with you? We could watch a movie or something?” Namjoon suggested, Jimin raised an eyebrow wondering what exactly Namjoon was doing but one look in his eyes he knew. Namjoon was worried about him, very worried apparently. Jimin plastered what he hoped looked like a believable smile on his face.

 

“I’ll be okay hyung, you don’t have to worry – you should go home, or back to party…. Check on Taehyung I suppose, I am surprisingly good at slapping so you know….” He tried to joke. Namjoon gave him a wry smile, Jimin could already tell he was going to ask if he was sure, “Namjoon really I’ll be fine, I am just going to go bed and sleep it off,” he said. It was a lie, first thing he was going to do when he got inside was raid his dad’s liquor cabinet that or finally breakdown properly – maybe both, he was pretty good at multitasking.

 

“Okay,” Namjoon said softly, “Jimin, I know you think Taehyung ….” He trailed trying to think of what he had wanted to say. Jimin didn’t particular want to here anything about Taehyung so he wasted no time getting out of the car. “Jimin, wait! He cares okay – despite what you think he still cares about you,” Namjoon called out.

 

Jimin wanted to laugh but kept it to himself, if Namjoon needed to believe that his baby brother still had a shred of goodness left in then who was Jimin to shatter that dream. He wasn’t the cruel one after all. So instead he just shrugged and walked upto his front door. After fumbling around with his house keys Jimin finally got into house, attempting to be as quiet as possible so not to disturb his sleeping mother. He snuck to where the good liquor was kept grabbing a couple of bottles of vodka and heading upstairs to his bedroom.

 

His plans of blasting break up songs had been ruined by the fact doing so would surely wake his mother up. So instead he settled for just drinking his problems away, well drinking and then sobbing and then drinking again. Half way through drowning his misery he grabbed his phone, if he wasn’t completely wasted he would realize that would be a mistake. His notifications were filled with hate, people hating him for liking boys and people hating him for hitting Taehyung – oh god forbid something happened to that perfect face, if anyone could use some damage to the face it is Taehyung, he was unnaturally pretty. After scrolling through it for twenty minutes Jimin felt defeated. What every buzz the vodka had caused was done for and all that was left was sadness and that was when Jimin fully broke down.

 

He wasn’t sure how it happened, he must have accidentally opened the app store when he was crying but there on the front page was an ad for an app called yes or yes – your dream life it was one of those silly otome games – one of Jimin’s guilty pleasures. He looked over it briefly, it was free – a very important thing to consider, surprisingly high rated and it had the option of playing a male character. Emotion exhausted and wanting nothing more then to get lost in a silly little love story where everyone loved his character he downloaded the app without a second of hesitation. The app didn’t take that long to download, it’s home screen was three animated girls , Jimin guessed they were the more common ‘Y/N’ surrounded by hot anime guys. He clicked on open, scowling at the fact he had to do all the setting up part he just wanted to have someone love him for a hot minute not have to tell the app every single detail of his life (that was an extravagation it just wanted a name, gender and what his spirit would look like.) scoffing he answered them quickly, not noticing that in his drunken rush he accidentally picked female.

 

As he waited for the game to start he felt strange, his head felt fuzzy which wasn’t surprising considered how much he had drank but there was something off about this. He began to feel light and his room seemed to be getting brighter. He closed his eyes trying to escape the harsh light only to pass out completely.

 

-----

 

“Okay but why is the person a guy,”

“Well this isn’t what we expected”

“But it could be fun, don’t you think?’

“Do you think he has a chance?”

“Probably not but that’s not our fault,”

 

------