Meeting my Cousin

Lucky

Prrrttt!

The referee whistled as the opposing team puts their first year middle blocker back to court. Just few more points and they would win the match. They would go to nationals. Her cousin's team will lose.

Rin couldn't take her eyes off of her charismatic wing spiker cousin who just got fired up by the opponent. She also took a glimpse of the middle blocker who had a one touch when her cousin spiked the ball.

"What's his name again?" She mumbled to herself while looking at the list of volleyball players. Pertaining to the guy who wears glasses.

A slight irritation was shown on her face as she secretly records the game using a camera implanted on her eyeglasses. She focuses on her cousin then on the opponent guy then the whole court.

Rin loves sports. She is an enthusiast. She knows the rules and how to play every sport. The fact that she had six older brothers and a cousin who each play different kind of ball game had her start to like sports.

Of all sports, volleyball was her favorite. She had interest in playing when she was three when she saw her cousin playing a Mikasa brand volleyball.

Rin was discovered when her team competed in Europe and South America. The venue is in Australia. She was a freshman when she was asked to be a pinch server. Playing against the European team, with the current score of 4:23, in favor of the opponent. She managed to raise their group into the finals as she swoop  21 killer serves, 7 of them were ace services. Leading the score to 25:23. At the same day, they competed with South American group. When the main setter fainted from exhaustion during the first match, she was asked if she could be a substitute. She led the group to a 3 out of 5 straight wins. The next day, her nickname and her team have been the content of most of the local newspapers in three continents. Fanpages started appearing in social media and people even made her an official fansite. 

Due to the fruition of her hardwork as a regular player of Cobras (her team in Australia), she was noticed by the prime minister and got invited to participate the Youth World Championship as Japan's under 19 volleyball representative in female division. She flew right after her graduation. She thought that this was the right time to come back to Japan and meet with her cousin, also a volleyball representative.

Rin has an excellent physical condition even though she has a slender body. Since she loves sports, she stretches and exercises for 30 minutes every morning and before going to bed. Her height is 165 centimeters, weight is 44 kilos and she has two abs at a young age.

She is definitely not  an ordinary girl.

It was the first time she had been in Japan for a decade. And she'll stay for good since her money sources are in the country. Plus, it is a good thing that nobody knows who she really is except for her relatives. She was relieved that there are no news about her coming back home. But since she's a paranoid, she keeps on disguising herself whenever she goes out.

Rin woke up from her daydreaming when her phone rang. She immediately turned her phone off knowing that if she answered, people might locate where she was. By people, she meant her sasaengs. Overly obsessed fans.

She exhaled. Gave a round of applause as her cousin's match has taken to an end. Of course, she still rooted for her cousin until the match has finished. They lost to Karasuno though.

She quietly stood up and walked. She's going to surprise her cousin she haven't seen for a long time. Wondered if she could be recognized when she actually did not change. She still looks the same when she was three but taller. She has only changed in a bit in physique since she has not yet had her menarche and puberty hasn't striken yet. Rin would also ask her cousin's family if she could stay over for few nights since the papers for the apartment she bought were still on process.

She wears her glasses off then smoothly pulled the hairpins on her hair. Her bangs covering her eyes. She covered her head with a hoodie. She could pass as a bishounen when wearing hoodie and black pants, but most of the time, she's making herself look like a creep. A kawaii creep.

"Where could it be?" she mumbled to herself as she tries to peek in a room where the players resides for preparing to the awarding ceremony. It's a bit unusual for her to forget the floor plan of the building when she actually memorized it before going to the gymnasium. She has an eidetic memory, a bit defective though whenever she doesn't get a dose of her sugar for the brain.

When Rin has reached a certain room, she knocked twice. The door was opened by a tall guy with red hair.

"Oooh? A visitor?! Who're ya lookin' for?" The red haired guy asked with a crazy grin on his face.

Rin bowed her head and spoke, "May I speak with Kato-kun?"

"Kato-kun? We don't know any Kato here." And he laughed.

Rin realized she was the only one who calls her cousin in that name. She bowed again and rephrased her words with an irritated tone. She has a short temper and she hated to repeat the same thing again. She's a bit of a foul-mouthed person. She never been good in communicating verbally but she knows how to be polite, specially when she needed something from someone.

"Tendou-san, may I have a conversation with Wakatoshi...-kun?"

The red-haired guy raised a brow and stared a full five seconds, trying to look at Rin's eyes but he couldn't. Her thick gray bangs covered half of her face.

"Wakatoshi-kun! Someone's looking for you." And Tendou hopped back inside the room, confused.

"Thank you." Rin replied.

Ushijima Wakatoshi. Rin's cousin on mother's side stepped out of the room with his usual stoic expression.

Being a fan of his cousin, Rin jumped and hugged Wakatoshi tight. She was excited and couldn't contain herself.

Due to the awkward situation, Wakatoshi grabbed her shoulders and pushed her apart from him. The force was enough to give Rin a shock.

"Who are you?" Ushijima asked.

"I-it's me. Rin! Your cousin!"

"Sorry. I don't know any Rin. If you're a fan, you're not allowed here."

Rin froze.

This isn't what she had expected. She knew Ushijima is always blunt and usually tactless but she actually couldn't believe she'll be rejected as a relative.

Her hands were shaking when she reached for her duffle bag, taking out a box with a mini pink dinosaur printed on it and put it on the floor.

"I-it's... f-f-for you.. yo-you MORON!!" Rin shouted then ran away.

Wakatoshi just stood there. He picked up the box. It was warm, and when he opened it he saw hashed beef rice.

It was his favorite.

"What's that? Smells nice Wakatoshi-kun! Lemme have a bite!" Tendou peeped over Ushijima's shoulder and tried to dip his index finger on the food but he failed.

"So, I saw the guy ran away after he called you a moron. Who was he anyway Wakatoshi -kun?" Tendou asked while still trying to get a taste of the food.

"A stranger." Ushijima shortly replied.

"Hmm? Then why did he run though?I heard him said that he was your cousin."

"I said I don't know any Rin. My cousin's a guy, his name is Eli. That stranger was a girl." Ushijima said.

"That was a girl?!! How did you know?!" Tendou nearly choked.

"She smelled like strawberries."

"Oh. Strawberries huh. Anyway, do you and this Eli cousin of yours meet often?" Tendou.

Ushijima shook his head. "No. I only met him once. He's been abroad."

"Ahuh. Did he smell like strawberries?"

"No. He smelled like mud."

Tendou laughed before asking again. "By any chance, is there somebody in your family who calls you Kato-kun?"

Ushijima paused for a bit. Trying to think.

"And are you sure your cousin is really a he?"

"Hmm.." Ushijima realized something. "I think, maybe.. she's someone I know." Then he went inside the room to tidy up the box.

"Come on guys, it's the awarding ceremony. Line up!" The Shiratorizawa coach said.

 

(by drfujoshi)

(Credits to the illustrator and owner of the picture)