one

Falling Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minji groaned loudly as she tossed the newspaper with the array of job descriptions on the back of it and leaned back in her chair. She was currently sitting in a small cafe with her best friend, Siyeon who was staring at her with a slightly worried expression. The older woman had been struggling with money issues for a while now, looking all over the city for a better job than the one she had. She was on the verge of possibly getting evicted from her apartment, since she wasn't making nearly enough money for the place.

 

“Minj, why don't you just stay with me, until you get back on your feet, at least?” Although Minji wouldn't mind living with her best friend and taking the possible break from her stress that would come with it, she knew she was too stubborn to give in. Minji had always been an independent person, never wanting to lean on another person. Although this was extremely stressful for the young woman, it also gave her a sense of pride in herself, proud that she has managed her life thus far. But now, as she began her third year of college, she had much less time to work, needing to focus on her studies and making sure she graduates on time. She knew it was a couple years from now, but she'd rather focus on it now, than have to stress about it later.

 

She shook her head slowly, running a hand through her hair roughly, “Si, you know I can't do that.” She looked up to see the younger of the two frowning at her. Knowing she was going to try and convince her otherwise, she continued, “You know, I appreciate the offer and I love you so much for being here for me, but I'd just rather figure it out on my own.”

 

Although the younger woman was obviously disappointed in Minji's response, she wasn't surprised. The older woman had always been stubborn, refusing to stray away from her normalities. Once Minji had her mind set on something, that was the end it. No one was ever able to change her mind, not even Siyeon, and they had been best friends for years. Siyeon and Minji met back when the latter very first moved into the former's neighborhood. The younger girl had to walk to school every day, since both of her parents always had work, but as soon as Minji realized they went to the same school, she refused to let the girl walk alone. Although Siyeon was a very shy kid, Minji broke through her shell with her bubbly and loud personality. Their walks were mainly silent due to Siyeon's shyness, but eventually she did warm up to Minji, now being just as- if not, more- loud as the older girl.

 

“Then, can I help you look for a job, at least?”Siyeon finally responded, knowing it was best not to argue with Minji. The older woman smiled softly at Siyeon, nodding her head in affirmation. She leaned back in her chair, trying to relax her body and not stress herself out too much. She just hoped it didn't take long to find herself a job.

 

~~~

 

Nearly a month had passed and Minji was still in the same position. She knew it would most likely take some time despite her wishes, but she was beginning to get impatient. Her landlord had been pestering her more often, being more strict on the rules and being extra rude. Her landlord was some grumpy old man and his wife, who seemed to dislike everything about her even when she was paying her dues. Now that they had an excuse to complain about her, they seemed to take every opportunity they could.

 

Although she was petrified of the couple, she eventually broke down and decided to talk to them about her situation. She had been putting it off, not wanting to have to speak to them, but the universe seemed to be against her. She frowns at the memory of the irritated old man staring down at her with a distasteful look on his face at the sight of the young woman. That may have been terrifying, but it didn't compare to the look on his face after she started speaking. It's safe to say the confrontation didn't go very well. He gave her two weeks to either get the money or leave. That was two weeks ago today, and Minji was frantically searching the streets for something, anything at this point.

 

After another twenty minutes of walking, Minji was beginning to lose hope. It was now dark outside and it looked like it was going to rain with all the heavy clouds in the sky. The only thing illuminating the streets at this point was the headlights of the cars on the road, the street lights, and the occasional shop. She didn't understand why she thought this was a good idea. She should've known that it would be even more difficult to find something by walking around, instead of just looking something up.

 

Getting tired of walking, but being way too far from home to wait to rest there, she decided to go to the nearest place for shelter which happened to be a library. As soon as she entered the building, she let out a deep sigh in relief,  looking outside the window to see that she had barely beat the storm. She looked around and examined the library and taking in the decor. The whole room was honestly pretty bland to Minji with the basic white walls and the occasional educational poster. Since it was getting late, the room was pretty empty, except for a few people sitting at the computers and a girl who was sitting by herself, seemingly studying. The atmosphere in the room was very calming, giving Minji a sense of relaxation and relief. Now that she was actually in the library, she didn't understand why she never went there to study there instead of her apartment where she continuously got distracted.

 

Minji walked up to the front counter as she continued to look around the room, waiting patiently for an employee or hopefully a manager of some sort to come out. Finally-after she finally realized she needed to ring the li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter