chapter 1

Roads End
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hayoung needed new clothes. And definitely a shower too. Her jeans are ripped, her green bomber jacket is literally missing a sleeve and the hole in the sole of her shoe isn't really pleasant either. It makes her sock wet and Hayoung hated wet socks with every cell in her body. She'd been walking for a few hours now, she thinks so at least.

 

She held onto the straps of her heavy pink backpack which is filled with all the food and water she had found, canned meat and small bottles of water mostly. Hayoung considered herself very lucky, giving that clean water and food was very sacred in times like these. She silently thanked her parents for owning a supermarket before the world went to .

 

Today is a hot day, so Hayoung automatically guessed that it's probably July now. She gave up on keeping track of time a long time ago, it had no use anyway. All she had to know was she had to find shelter as soon as the sun starts to set because the chance of getting attacked is much higher then. Finding shelter definitely wasn't the easiest task though, since every shelter she was able to find were either infested with man-eating zombies or were completely broken down. On some occasions, they were occupied by other survivors. And the number one rule is to not trust anyone. Not even the sweetest looking grandmother who's offering you home because the chance of getting ed over is high and it must be avoided at all times.

 

Suddenly she halted in her tracks when she heard some rustling coming from her right. She made the quick decision to grab her pistol, which didn't have much ammunition left. She instantly turned to the source of the sound. As she loaded her pistol, the first thing she noticed was the front of a small wooden hut camouflaged by numerous sorts of plants and bushes. It had no door, and the wood was rotten and plants were growing inside. Behind the small hut was the large dark forest she'd been walking next to the entire time.

 

Hayoung made the least amount of noise possible when she slowly walked towards it, one hand resting on the knife and the other was holding the pistol which was pointing straight at the hut. A small part of her thought she might be overreacting because it might as well be a stray cat or something. But better be safe than sorry.

 

The idea of it being an animal was immediately scratched when a groan came from the hut. It sounded like a human and zombie groan at the same time. Hayoung feared both.

 

"Hello?" She spoke up and waited for a few seconds. Nothing. Weird, Hayoung thought, because if it was a zombie it would surely be alarmed, right? The girl slowly walked closer to the hut when suddenly a head appeared from behind an opening where a window should’ve been.

 

"Hi! I-," the person started but was quickly cut off.

 

Hayoung let out a loud yelp and fired a shot towards the figure out of shock. The person's eyes went big, and they screamed before ducking. Nothing happened for a few seconds. Slowly the person appeared again, but just the top part of their head could be seen. Hayoung noticed it was a girl, with her hair being the wildest mess and blood was smeared all over her face. All kinds of alarm bells went off inside her head so she pointed the gun at her again. The stranger's eyes went big again, but they didn't duck this time.

 

"Please don't shoot me! I'm not a zombie! See?" The person was wildly swinging her arms around. "Braindead creatures can't do this, right?!"

 

Hayoung had no choice but to believe her but she didn't lower the gun yet. She oddly felt threatened by the girl.

 

"You can still be dangerous, though." She said in an almost threatening way. "And please stop waving your arms around, I believe you now."

 

The person lowered their arms and pushed themselves up, so their whole face was visible. She looked young, despite the huge amounts of bruises and wounds that covered her face. Her brown hair was put in a ponytail with strands of hair sticking out from basically everywhere. Despite her physical condition, she still looked somewhat happy.

 

"Do I look threatening to you?" She asked incredulously. "Hold up," the girl disappeared again for a second and Hayoung felt incredibly confused. "Catch!"

 

Something came flying from the hut towards Hayoung. Her heart skipped a beat for a second but she then realized what it was. A chocolate bar. She bent down to grab it but it was completely molten. When she looked up again she saw the girl had disappeared from behind the window and was now standing in front of the house. The girl was wearing Adidas sweatpants (which looked like they hadn't been washed in months) and an oversized shirt that said "killing me softly."

 

She was smiling softly at Hayoung.

 

"My name is Namjoo," she began walking towards the taller girl. "And I know this is very weird," Namjoo was standing a foot away from Hayoung, which they both considered being a safe distance, for now. "But the last person I have had a chat with was 2 weeks ago, and-"

 

Hayoung cut her off. "I almost shot you in the head, how is that 'having a chat'."

To her complete shock, Namjoo laughed. "Keyword, almost. Anyway, as I was saying, I'm pretty lonely. Please join me at my house? I can provide you with water and snacks!" The girl beamed.

 

Hayoung thought she was insane. Completely insane. She doesn't even know why she's still standing here. This girl might as well be a murdering psychopath, which wouldn't be hard to believe because of her bloodied clothes and body.

 

The tall girl adjusted the straps of her backpack and sighed. "No, I'm fine thanks. I don't trust you," she put her pistol in her belt. "I will be continuing my journey from here. Please don't follow me." And with that, she walked out of Namjoo's sight.

 

 

It was a clear night. No cloud could be seen, which allowed Eunji to stargaze peacefully. She was laying on top of a garage, which she calls 'home' now, with a lantern next to her as the only source of light. The moon was hidden behind the tall trees which blocked its shining light. Eunji sighed and relaxed her body, ready to take a short nap.

 

The growl of a creature disturbed her though. She let out an annoyed groan as she sat up and looked towards the zombie. It was shuffling and groaning and it was missing an arm. It was only wearing beige shorts. Annoyed, Eunji watched the monster as it was slowly shuffling towards the road in front of their garage. She grabbed a small rock and threw it right in front of the garage, luring the zombie. When it turned around and walked towards it, Eunji grinned in satisfaction.

 

She slid down the street light that was right next to the garage. Making sure she had her knife ready, she whistled.

 

The creature stopped in its tracks and turned towards the girl. It slowly shuffled towards her and groaned loudly. Must be hungry, Eunji thought. She walked around in circles, confusing the zombie. She smirked.

 

"Hey, handsome," she teased. "Fancy seeing

Please log in to read the full chapter