Chapter One

A Gleam in the Shadow

This is a collaboration between my friend Olly and I. An experiment of sorts where we live write together on Google, each writting a chunk of story and the other continues. Join us on this interesting journey! 

    ┌──────── ●✰✹✰● ────────┐

“ Is someone there?” The girl asked to the bone freezing air, her breath coming out like a cloud that disappeared in the darkness. “Hello?” she tried again as the same voice echoing gave an unsettling answer.

Her grip tightened more to a rope that disappeared in the distance… the strings cutting as she talked. “Please I need help!!” She screamed as the rope broke in her cold white hands making her fall into a pit of engulfing blackness…

She sat bolt upright in bed, chill still clinging to her bones. It was a dream, just a dream. Night after night this nightmare had occupied her mind, each night the realism of it growing. She ran a hand through her slightly sweat dampened hair. She was terrified of what were to happen to her if the dream continued.

For most people a nightmare would be nothing but what it was, a dream to unnerve you. However, this wasn’t the case, everytime she had a nightmare like this, everything came true. She knew it would not be long before the nightmare would become her reality, just like every time before it. She just hoped there was a way she could stop it, a way she could change it, before she found out what was waiting for her at the bottom of the pit.

“Is something wrong?” A weak whispering voice asked as movement in the other end of the bed was taking place. The brunette rolled over facing the heavy breathing blonde that was now sitting with her feet in the cold floor trying to adjust her vision to their very well known bedroom.

“Uh... I-” shivers down her spine were making her unable to speak properly. She knew the nightmare would happen sooner or later. Her first one was when she was a kid and even if it was a little nightmare like getting lost at her neighborhood park, as the years passed, the dreams would get worse. Scenarios where accidents or even deaths were predicted… but never one she couldn’t know with accuracy. That made her scared in ways she couldn’t even describe.

“Byul, tell me, was it another nightmare?” The now awake girl approached Byul and placed a hand in her back.

Byul tried not to flinch away from her touch. It has taken her a while to get use to the touch of others, for years she sheltered herself out of fear that someone she knew would end up in one of her nightmares. However, YongSun was a force she could not stop from entering her life. Byul closed her eyes tight. Flashes of the nightmare still lingering behind her eyelids. “It was nothing YongSun.” She leaned into the girl’s gentle touch.

YongSun’s hand moved from Byul’s back to her arm. “Don’t you lie to me Moon Byul-Yi, I know what it looks like when you have a nightmare, and this was a nightmare.” Her voice was stern but warm. “You can’t hide this from me, not again, not after the last time.”

Those words stung. She went to great lengths to hide her nightmares from YongSun and when she hid the one of her getting hit by a car from YongSun, the girl was devastated to find her in the hospital that night. YongSun saw the guilt written on her face the second she walked into the emergency room. After that she knew that Byul had nightmares that foretold what was going to happen to her. Byul felt her face heat at the memory. She promised she would never again hide her nightmares from the woman she loved. But right now, at this very moment, she could feel herself choking on her words, throat going dry. “I am not sure I can YongSun.” She heard the defeat in her own words.

YongSun scooted over to Byul’s side of the bed and rested her head on her shoulder. “Baby, you have to tell me, if we are ever going to make this work, you can’t hide these things from me.” She began slowly running her hand over Byul’s arm as if she was trying to remove the lingering cold from her dream.

Byul took in a large breath. “Okay, but you are not going to like it.” She relayed the dream to the girl as lightly as she could, but the nightmare was not a light one, and it was so unclear. She felt YongSun tense when she got to the last part, Byul giving a nervous laugh. “I told you it was a bad one.”

Byul could feel YongSun forcing herself to relax which was making it so much harder for Byul. “Well, you don’t know how it is going to play out, it is so unclear, it could mean anything.”
Byul stood abruptly. “You don’t understand!” She could feel the waver in her own voice. “There is no way to stop it, there is no way to change it. Sooner or later I will be in that pit, falling into the darkness.” She could feel the panic start to rise in chest again.

"But it could really mean anything, Byul, don’t shut yourself to me", YongSun said trying to keep her girlfriend from wandering away from the room, and the intention of the other was not to leave, it was rather to seek an explanation to everything that was happening in her head, the uncertainty of all the darkness that enveloped her night after night.

"You don’t understand." she said almost shouting. YongSun remained immobile before the icy waves of words that crashed against her body. Still, she tried to get closer. She, better than anyone knew that, although Byul was cloistered in her thoughts, she could get her out of there. "... you do not understand" she said sobbing.

"No, I don’t understand it and I may never understand, but I'm still here, we're still here ... you're still by my side, and as long as that's the case, we can find some way to figure it out." YongSun stood in front of her and forced her to look at her eyes in the gloom. "Look at me even though it's dark." Byul did what the other girl demanded. "Even if we are in the dark of the night, you will always be able to find me here. Even if you fall in the dark, maybe you can find me one way or another… find my eyes through it" she said as she wiped the tears from Byul.

"As difficult as this may be YongSun, I think I don’t have much life left, not with the nightmare that I have and that does not progress ... the only answer I can come up with is death," YongSun was the one who was sobbing this time, but she would not give up ... she still could not believe that the things that were happening in her girlfriend's head would come true. Then she remembered something that once someone very wise taught her.

"We make our own future, and if we build our own future...if that is the case, then we can change whatever happens in your nightmare," she said hopefully.

"Haven’t you thought that maybe my future is already built by whatever it is that controls my nightmares?, I don’t have options, I have never had them".

YongSun struggled to keep herself from sighing aloud. She could only reassure Byul to a point, she had to try and bring her back from the darkness. “Byul-Ah.” She demanded Byul’s attention once again. “There is nothing set in stone, there is nothing we can not fix or change.”

She could see Byul receding into her own mind, shrouding herself from YongSun’s words. YongSun took a step forward, she crushed her lips into Byul’s, making sure the girl could feel every once of emotion she was putting behind it. It only took a few moments for Byul to snap out of her mind and respond to YongSun’s touch. Her hands grasped YongSun’s hips and YongSun laced her arms around Byul’s neck, deepening the kiss. Finally, when the girls pulled apart, breathless, YongSun leaned in again, but for a hug this time. “This Byul, this is reality. Everything in your head, everything you have seen, maybe we can’t stop it.” She smoothed Byul’s hair. “But perhaps you not including me in this, you trying to face this alone is what is making your nightmares come true.” She pulled back to look at her. “Just imagine if I had been there with the car, I could have pulled you to safety.”

Byul scoffed. “Yeah, and maybe it could have been you instead.” She ran a hand angrily through her hair, it had happened before, the eyes Byul saw through were not always her own, sometimes she saw the things that would happen to other people. Like Mi Na, a school friend of hers. Byul could still feel herself drowning, but it was not Byul’s body they pulled from the creek.
YongSun looked shocked at her words, Byul was not one to be harsh, but in moments like this it was hard to keep herself steady. “Byul-Ah, you can not live your life in fear. You cannot be afraid of things that have yet to happen.”

“But they will.” Byul whispered defeatedly. “It doesn’t matter what I do, it always comes true. It is the curse I was born with, it is the one I will die with, and I told you this before we started our relationship.”

YongSun crossed her arms. “I refuse to to believe there is no choice Byul-Ah.” She softened her voice. “Maybe you are looking at this all wrong, instead of seeing it as a curse, maybe it is a gift, maybe you are meant to figure out and understand why you have these nightmares.” YongSun didn’t want to admit it but she was grasping at straws now.

Byul must have sensed this. “Yeah and maybe I am an angel of death, spreading destruction with my touch.” Byul was folding in on herself again. “Maybe I should just end everything right now and stop this misery.”

“W-what are you talking about Byul-Ah?” Her voice was shaking.
Byul pinched the bridge of her nose, hard. “I don’t know YongSun.” She sighed. “Sometimes I just think it would best if I weren’t around anymore to have these nightmares, to spread this pain.”

YongSun felt like she had been slapped in the face. “Don’t you ever say that again Moon Byul-Yi!”, the emotions were even harder to keep up with Byul. She didn’t want to make her feel she was weak by crying, she wanted to be the support her partner needed, but it was heartbreaking to hear those words coming out from a girl that could be so sweet yet, so cold and distant.

“ I will, I love you, and because I do, I don’t want you involved in this anymore… you know-” she stopped to think. “- I really did think the nightmare would show me more as the days passed but it’s not getting any clearer and I’m not ready to put you through this”. She looked at the broken face her girlfriend held, not able to make it better. That shattered her insides even more… if she wasn’t falling into darkness before, she felt like she was now.

Byul-Yi walked past YongSun not able to look at her as she did. “ I’m sorry YongSun” she said in a barely hearable whisper, still, the one standing could hear the message as the door of the apartment shut in the middle of the night leaving cold and darkness filling YongSun’s body as she crashed into the bed lost in what have just happened.

 

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Let us know what you think!!