woogyu

Betting on You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was Monday, and some of the Chung-ang University students are in great chaos in the cafeteria. Girls were talking about how they've spent their weekends in malls, shopping clothes and shoes. Guys talk about how they had gone to a party or played games, both indoor and outdoor. This is almost a normal scene every day, people sharing their thoughts and opinions with one another. Some were crying because their relationship just ended while the others are goofing around. Almost everyone are talking and interacting with one another, almost. Why almost you ask? because there's one person sitting in the farthest corner of the cafeteria who is eating alone and holding a book, and people don't give a damn about him because they don't care.

 

Meet Kim Sungkyu, 24 years old, a fourth year pharmacy student in Chung-ang University. Yes, he is in his last year in college and yes he doesn't have any friends, not even a single one. At least maybe not in this school, his two best friends, Sungyeol and Sungjong go to a different university, nevertheless they all live in the same neighborhood and had been best friends since forever He'd spent his college years holding his medical and chemistry books reading and memorizing every single detail of it that by now he knows almost everything by heart. Kim Sungkyu is what people will refer to as a 'typical nerd' he has glasses on which always hang on the bridge of his nose. He wears the simplest clothes that make him disperse into the crowd. Physically speaking, he has a slightly curly caramel hair and his bangs were covering his forehead. He has milky white complexion and a bit slender body that make him look a little weak. Behind those pair of specs, he has very small eyes that turn into slits when he's annoyed and turn into a beautiful eye smile when he's happy. When it comes to academic, Sungkyu is one of the best students, he may be a loner and a nerd but he is well known in the faculty because of his high grades. He's also well known in his department as the 'freak genius' which somehow made him a loner. However, he's not really good at making friends, either people used him so they can survive the school year or they'd make fun of him so in the end he didn't get close to anyone and remain invisible.

 

Just like any other college student though, Sungkyu has a crush and just to make this situation even more cliché, he had been crushing on one of the most popular guys in the University for a Year and a half now.

 

Nam Woohyun, 22 years old, fourth year chemical engineering student and the captain of the Chung-ang soccer team who just won the nationals competition last month. Unlike Sungkyu, Woohyun is very popular and surrounded by so many people who adore him. He has a lot of friends and admirers, well who wouldn't admire a guy like him. He has a well-built body, not that buff but pretty y which makes everyone drool especially when he takes off his jersey every time they win a game. He's not that tall, probably a foot shorter than Sungkyu but then again he has a body of a god so yeah that compensates it. He has a sharp nose and plump bottom lip. His eyes are small but they are bigger than Sungkyu's which turn into crescent moons whenever he smiled. He has fluffy raven hair that sticks out to every direction showing a 'just-woke-up' look. All in all he's the typical 'y boy-next-door' of Chung-ang University.

 

Woohyun and Sungkyu shared the same class in basic chemistry last year. That's when Sungkyu had first seen him and even if he would deny it for the sake of his pride and dignity, it was a 'love at first sight' as Sungyeol and Sungjong would call it. Sungkyu had never minded anyone's business before so he didn't have a slightest idea who the Nam Woohyun is before he met him during chemistry class but since then he had been watching his crush from afar. He never expected Nam Woohyun will notice him because he knows he didn't know him, no one really pays attention to him. He was more than satisfied to just look at him from the corners and smile whenever Woohyun smiles.

 

Sungkyu and Woohyun are sharing advanced chemistry class this semester as well and still even after they shared basic class together last year, Woohyun doesn't know him and that's actually okay because he didn't expect for his crush to know, he'd like to stay invisible until he graduates.

 

So he doesn't understand the situation he's in right now. He was still engrossed in reading his book in advanced anatomy (a/n sorry I’m not sure of the subjects lmao let's just pretend the subjects are accurate) when he felt someone sit across him. Nobody sits with him during lunch because most students avoid loners like him so he was curious as to who was the brave and annoying soul who disturbs his peace of mind. As soon as he lifted his head he choked on his pasta and cough painfully and his face immediately turned red both because of the lack of air and embarrassment.

 

"Hey! Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?" the man said with a soft worried voice reaching his hand to give Sungkyu a napkin

 

Sungkyu takes the napkin and cough some more before he wipes his mouth and tried to coolly turn his head to the direction of the man and it was the worst decision he made because when he turned, the man was smiling softly at him and he was blinded by it.

 

'' Sungkyu thought

 

"I must've startled you. Sorry about that" he said still smiling

 

Sungkyu looked at him with a raised eyebrow

 

"Sorry, I'm Nam Woohyun by the way" he introduced hand reaching to the other side of the table for a handshake

 

Sungkyu just looked at the hand weirdly. Feeling a bit awkward Woohyun retreat his hand and just smiled.

 

"So uhm, you're Kim Sungkyu right? We have advanced chemistry together?" he continued, again Sungkyu didn't answer he just looked at the man blankly. Don’t blame him; he's still lost as to why his crush, who is one of the most popular guys, is talking to him right now.

 

"Uhm, you're not much of a talker are you?" Woohyun said chuckling awkwardly. Sungkyu remained quiet trying to send Woohyun a question as to why he's talking to him.

 

"I uhm, wanted to uhm ask if you uhm have the uhm assignment for Friday's chemistry class?" Woohyun asked sheepishly and Sungkyu thinks he got struck by a lightning

 

'So that's why he's here' Sungkyu thought

Sungkyu rummaged his bag for a paper and pen and then get his chemistry notebook. He copied the answers for the said assignment. All the while Woohyun was just watching him amusedly.

 

'This guy is really smart and cute' Woohyun thought but he quickly shakes his head for those stupid thoughts.

 

Once done, Sungkyu put his notebook back to his bag and handed Woohyun the piece of paper. Woohyun grab the paper bewildered and Sungkyu got up from the chair.

 

Woohyun notices Sungkyu getting up, he grabs his wrist and stop him.

 

"Hey where are you going?" Woohyun asked. Sungkyu looks at him and then to his wrist. He didn't miss the fact that his heart skipped a beat. He still played cool though.

 

"Uhm, I already gave you the answers to the assignment" Sungkyu answered for the first time

 

Woohyun felt his breath hitch upon hearing the beautiful voice for the first time. He won't admit to it though because Woohyun is never mesmerized by anyone. Instead he chuckled not letting go of the wrist.

 

"You thought I wanted your answers for the assignment?" Woohyun asked. Sungkyu looked at him questioningly

 

"I didn't want your answers, I already answered mine. I asked you because that's the first thing that came to my mind, probably not the best one though. I just wanted to talk to you" Woohyun continued smiling softly when Sungkyu didn't answer

 

Sungkyu could feel his cheeks reddening and his heart beating rapidly in his heart that he thinks it might explode.

 

'Stop it heart! You're getting this all wrong' Sungkyu thought

 

"W-Why?" Sungkyu asked retracting his hand and fix his backpack on his shoulders

 

'He's blushing and it's cute. I can't believe this will be easy' Woohyun thought

 

"I just want to talk to you. I just notice you always eat alone and you don't really sit with anyone in class" Woohyun shrugs and smiled as he sit again on the chair

"Isn't it lonely to be alone?" Woohyun asked concerned and Sungkyu notice that he wasn't mocking or teasing him. Woohyun is genuinely curious and maybe concern.

 

"It's not. I'm used to it" Sungkyu answered and was about to walk away when Woohyun speak again.

 

"I want to be with you though. I mean I want to be your friend. Is that okay?" Woohyun asked rubbing the back of his neck

 

Sungkyu was dumbfounded by the question. No one has really asked him to be their friend, either they want something from him or they don't really care. All throughout his life Sungkyu had only 2 friends and those were the Lee brothers he grew up with in the same neighborhood. Now that someone is befriending him, not to mention the person is the guy he's been crushing on and one of the most popular guys in the university, he can't help but ask the other

 

"Why?" Sungkyu asked and he knows he looks like a judging person but you can't really blame him when people around except for his family and 2 best friends always take him for granted

Woohyun could see the hesitation in Sungkyu's eyes and he could also see some other things he can't put a name on but one thing is for sure what he's about to say next is one of the truest things he'd say to someone.

 

"Because I want to get to know you" Woohyun said looking straight at Sungkyu's eyes

 

Woohyun is shock of what he blurted out but he didn't take it back. He's used to lying to almost everyone just because he wants to please people around him. The only person he's probably been most honest with is his best friend Kim Myungsoo who studies in the same school and is in the same department as him.

 

Sungkyu was eyeing him skeptically and even though he'd deny this later, Woohyun found himself deeply enthralled by the brunet's honest eyes forgetting the real reason he was doing this.

 

Woohyun knows Sungkyu by his face and he knows how intelligent Sungkyu is since they've shared basic chemistry last year. He also knows about the nickname other people gave Sungkyu 'freak genius' which he got to know from one of his few trusted friends, Howon, who is Sungkyu's junior in the pharmacy department. Even though he knows him and they shared a class, they never had a close interaction like this and if it wasn't for 'that' Woohyun doubts he'll ever talk to Sungkyu.

 

"W-What!?" Sungkyu asked and he could feel his cheeks burning even more

 

Sungkyu doesn't believe any of this because aside from the different medical drugs and chemicals, he also learned that people in the university don't give a damn about someone who doesn't have anything to do with them. Thus, Woohyun wanting to get to know him is just plain ridiculous.

 

"Why?" Sungkyu asked lost in the situation and Woohyun just shrugs

 

"Because I like you" Woohyun stated determinedly

 

"Why me?" Sungkyu asked again

 

"Because you're Kim Sungkyu" Woohyun said smiling brightly

 

 

 

That night, Sungkyu couldn't sleep. First because he has a test tomorrow and he was studying although he didn't need to because he's going to nail that exam and two because a certain someone keeps invading his mind. Sungkyu tried to think of reasons why Woohyun wants to be his friend.

 

"Maybe he was just drunk earlier" he murmured

 

Sungkyu shakes his head and get up from the chair. He decides to just forget about what happened and go to sleep.

 

 

 

 

The next day, as expected Sungkyu got a perfect score in his test and his professor complimented him for the nth time. He only had one more class that day and it is scheduled after lunch.

 

He walks to the cafeteria and buy his lunch, after ordering for a burger and fries with a can of sprite, he proceeded to his usual table.

 

He was about to take a bite from his big burger when he heard someone calling his name.

 

"Sungkyu" Woohyun shouted as he walks to Sungkyu's table

 

Sungkyu was actually shock. He didn't think Woohyun would talk to him again today. He convinced himself that Woohyun was drunk yesterday. He glances around and notices that some people were looking at him and whispering to each other.

 

'Great, now I got their attention again' Sungkyu thought

 

"Hey, I was calling your name. You didn't hear me?" Woohyun asks as he sits down in front of Sungkyu

 

Sungkyu didn't answer and just eat his burger silently

 

'He'll probably go away if I don't talk to him' Sungkyu thought

 

"You don't really talk that much huh?" Woohyun asked smiling

 

"That's okay, I guess I'll have to talk for the both of us" he continued, smile is still on his face while looking at Sungkyu

 

Sungkyu look up from his burger and stared at Woohyun

 

"Why are you doing this?" Sungkyu finally spoke

 

"Hmm, I told you I want to be friends with you" Woohyun replied

 

Sungkyu looked at him and was about to ask him 'why' when Woohyun speak up

"Stop asking why, I already told you I like you. So are you free later? I don't have class anymore; want to go out with me?" Woohyun asked smiling sweetly

 

Sungkyu blushed at that and averted his gaze

 

"I-I still have class a-after this" he stuttered

 

"What time does it end?" Woohyun asked

 

"2:30"

 

"Okay, good! I'll wait for you then. Where's your next class? I'll walk you there" Woohyun asked finishing his meal

 

"Biology, you don't have to walk with me there I--"

 

"It's okay I don't have much to do anyway. Are you done? Let's go" Woohyun smiled

 

Woohyun walks with Sungkyu to his next class quietly, well he tried to open up some topics but Sungkyu didn't answer much.

 

'He's really quiet' Woohyun thought

 

Sungkyu was about to get inside the classroom when Woohyun grab his wrist, Sungkyu turned to him questioningly.

 

"I'll wait for you here okay?" Woohyun smiled and Sungkyu nodded shyly

 

Sungkyu was distracted during the whole class and he was even scolded by the professor twice which rarely happens. He just can't believe Woohyun was waiting for him outside and ask him out. He knows he's probably stupid for agreeing, well he really didn't agree but he didn't disagree as well, but he just can't stop himself. He's been in love with Woohyun and the guy really seems sincere. He never expected Woohyun to actually notice him but a small part of him hoped for it and now that Woohyun did notice him, who was he to blow off this chance?. He actually wants to smack his head for being so quiet.

 

As soon as the professor dismissed them he gathered his things and went out quickly. He saw Woohyun in the hallway, standing against the wall. He looks so handsome in that pair of jeans and black button up shirt. Woohyun glance up and smiled as soon as he saw Sungkyu, he returned the smile to Woohyun.

 

"Sorry you waited long, Professor Choi had a lot of things to say" Sungkyu said shyly

 

"Its fine so uhm, let's go?" Woohyun asked

 

They walk out of the building and Woohyun lead Sungkyu to the parking lot where he parked his car.

 

Woohyun opened the car's door for Sungkyu and walk around to get to the driver's seat. Sungkyu fixed his glasses while Woohyun get inside the car.

 

"So, are you up for movies?" Woohyun said as he looks at Sungkyu who was shyly sitting beside him

 

'He really looks cute'

 

Woohyun notice Sungkyu's seatbelt was not yet set so he reach out and their faces were so close. Sungkyu took in a breath sharply as he could feel Woohyun's mint breath on his nose. Sungkyu blushed so hard and Woohyun smirks.

 

Once he made sure Sungkyu was comfortable with his seatbelt he retracted and drove off to the nearest movie theatre. They talked about random stuff on the way and Sungkyu was finally getting more comfortable with Woohyun so he started talking a lot.

 

"So you're not that quiet aren't you" Woohyun stated not really asking

 

Sungkyu looked at his side and he blushed

 

'Did I overdo my talking, does he hate me now?' Sungkyu thought

 

Sungkyu remained quiet and lowered his head pouting and this didn't go unnoticed by Woohyun

 

'He's overthinking again' Woohyun thought

 

"Hey, it's fine. I like it more when you talk; you really have a nice voice. Don't worry about me okay? I want to get to know more of you" Woohyun smiled and the awkward atmosphere dissipated.

 

At the movie theatre, Woohyun insisted on paying for the tickets. They chose an action movie; they both didn't like sappy romances. Before they go inside the cinema, they bought nachos and fries and two large iced teas. Woohyun didn't let Sungkyu pay.

 

"Don't worry; I'll let you pay for our next date" Woohyun winked and Sungkyu just blushed\

Inside the cinema, they look for their seats which were located on the second floor fourth row. There were only few people watching the movie since it was a weekday.

 

Sungkyu was engrossed in the movie that he didn't notice Woohyun is looking at him the entire time though, Woohyun would surely deny this if you ask him.

 

'He has really long eyelashes and beautiful eyes behind those specs. He has a really cute nose and those pink lips looks really kissable' Woohyun thought and he immediately shake his head

 

'Stop thinking about that Nam Woohyun, you're not really into him stop appreciating him' Woohyun scolded himself in his mind

 

Sungkyu looked at him as if on cue and smiled to him genuinely. Woohyun felt his heart skipped a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter