accidents, fate or whatever the hell this is

Oops

"Oh, he's here," Wonpil informs and Jae's eyes practically light up,

"He is?!"

"Calm down, Jae, he's always here." Brian says, rolling his eyes and Jae turns to the door of the music room, and sure enough, he's walking in and goes to his usual spot with Dowoon and Junhyeok.

"He looks so cute in that sweater,"

"You say that about everything he wears over or under his uniform."

"You're right. It's not clothes, it's him," and Wonpil pretends to gag,

"You know, maybe we would be supportive if you actually tried talking to him instead of acting so creepy from across the room,"

"I don't care about your guys' support," Jae points out,

"Plus, we're mutuals on Instagram so that's enough for me."

"Creep." Brian says,

"Do you guys even interact?"

"He likes my posts," and Wonpil throws his head back with laughter,

"Congrats," he says, patting Jae on the shoulder.

"Just say hi one day, I'm sure it's not that hard, watch,"

"Bri, if you ing-"

"Sungjin!" and Jae immediately wants to slam his face repeatedly into his guitar, so he just tries to hide. The boy turns around and looks at their trio,

"Kang Bra, what?" and Jae lets himself take a peek, surprised at the familiarity. 

"Hi," Brian says and Sungjin laughs lightly before rolling his eyes,

"You're annoying," he comments with a smile that makes Jae's heart swell and they make eye contact. Jae freezes as Sungjin just shows him a friendly smile, eyes lingering just for a bit before he turns back around, resuming conversation with Dowoon who was telling the 2 a story.

"See?" Brian says and Jae smacks him, Wonpil snorting at the sound of harsh contact,

"Ow!"

"You're friends with him?" Jae asks in a whisper, almost amazed and Brian laughs,

"Yeah, 'cause he's chill and approachable. You'd know if you tried,"

"I'm content with admiring from afar. You know, like in art galleries that have those rope borders?"

"Yeah, except there's no borders and he's a human being?" he counters and Jae waves it off, glad their teacher walks in when he does because he no better argument against Brian.

Jae's been crushing on Sungjin since he walked into instrumental music - which was an elective he's glad he took because he gets to see Sungjin perform sometimes, gets to hear his voice a lot, and sees him everyday. But he's never been one to pursue feelings, even ones as trivial as "damn, he's cute",  even platonic interest wasn't something he'd go after. He only became friends with Wonpil and Brian because they annoyed him into it. Rather effective method, Jae admits, because now he considers them his best friends.

Jae's scrolling through Instagram that night when he sees that Sungjin has posted a series of selfies from one of the practice rooms at school. 

jaepark: Y'AALLLL

jaepark: Sent sungjinlol's post

jaepark: tf he so FINE for?

brikang: might as well name the gc to 'hype sungjin chat'

wonpillie: bet

wonpillie named the group chat 'jae's whipped for sungjin' 

jaepark: smh so extra 

brikang: no denial though???

jaepark: LOOK AT HIM THOUGH LIKE

jaepark: he could punch me and i would say thank you

brikang: you weird bro

brikang: thats like... borderline

jaepark: ok no

jaepark: YOU made it weird

wonpillie: you made this gc weird

wonpillie: if we scroll up its a majority of sungjin's posts that You for SOME REASON feel the need to send

brikang: LOL pil's mad

wonpillie: i just wanted wholesome memes but NO

wonpillie: I JUST GET SUNGJIN SPAMS BUT JAE'S A LIL WUSS AND WON'T EVEN SAY HI

brikang: PFFFTTT 

jaepark: damn you Angry angry

wonpillie: no lol i'm just hungry

jaepark: ok but my statement still stands

wonpillie: we know, you say this all the time

brikang: i bet he'd knock you out

jaepark: yeah probably

wonpillie: yeah i heard he takes boxing

jaepark: OH WHEW

jaepark: that's hot

jaepark: wait how do you know? ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH HIM TOO? 

wonpillie: kinda 

wonpillie: indirectly through dowoon

brikang: i think everyone's friends with sungjin except the loser who foams at the mouth on sight

jaepark: he's too cute for me to make contact

brikang: WHAT

brikang: i don't get why you can't just say hi-

brikang: fine keep admiring from afar and you'll never get him.

jaepark: omg don't jinx me like that you

wonpillie: YOU'RE JINXING YOURSELF WITH YO

brikang: wonpil, are you okay?

brikang: do you need to talk about it?

jaepark: yeah yo he's Mad today

brikang: is it cause dowoon ditched you today

wonpillie: maybe it's just because jae's been sreaming about sungjin for the past few weeks

brikang: lemme feed you, you're so irritable rn LOL

wonpillie: can you actually get me mcdonalds please

brikang: yeh yeh

It was true though - it became habit for Jae to rave over Sungjin to Wonpil and Brian, and he could see how it would get annoying. But that never stopped him.

 

The next day, Jae's walking outside the school, headphones in and eyes on the notes he took the previous night. He's trying to make sure he's got the chemistry review down for second period, closing his eyes in intervals to test his memory. 

Bad idea to have 2 senses not focused on his surroundings because he walks straight into a rather intense fight that escalates to the point of fists being thrown. The yells are loud enough to get through his music, but it's too late before one guy dodges and Jae looks up to see someone's fist quickly approaching the middle of his face before a sharp pain and then its black. 

 

Jae wakes up in the infirmary, face sore and sight blurry but that's due to his lack of glasses. He blinks a couple of times before he processes the person beside him.

"Oh," Sungjin says,

"You're awake," and his small smile makes Jae pause.

"Jaehyung, right? From music?" 

"Yeah," he replies, sitting up,

"Jae's fine. Sungjin, yeah?" as if he doesn't know and Sungjin nods,

"Look, I am so so sorry about this morning," and Jae squints, recalling this morning and he realizes.

Holy . He really did.

"I-I didn't even see you behind him and when he dodged, you looked up and-"

"You punched me." Jae interrupts and Sungjin nods, slow, eyes and expression apologetic and face way too close for Jae's heart to beat steady.

"Yeah. I'm so sorry. Is your nose okay?" and Jae pokes it,

"Doesn't feel broken," and Sungjin cracks a smile. 

"It was bleeding so I just kinda... shoved that tissue up there," and Jae suddenly feels embarrassed. Wonderful, his crush shoved tissue up his nose, how attractive.

"Thanks," he says, not knowing where to go from here.

"Your glasses aren't broken, thankfully," Sungjin says, grabbing them from the side table and handing them to him and he slips them on. 

"I'm really sorry, Jae." 

"It's okay, I'm okay now," he says with a smile that makes Sungjin smile too.

"Oh ," Jae whispers, looking at the time,

"My chem test-"

"It's okay, Mr. Kwon knows what happened,"

"Oh... You know my teacher?"

"Uh no, It was on the binder you were holding," Sungjin informs with light laughter and Jae wants to smack himself in the face.

Duh, . 

"You punch hard," Jae comments awkwardly, and Sungjin scratches his nape, chuckling as if he's embarrassed and Jae finds that adorable.

"Yeah. Sorry, it wasn't meant to land on you," 

"I'd hope so, haven't even talked to you and you already dislike me enough to punch me?" and feels a bit proud when Sungjin laughs.

"Nah, it was meant for the that ducked. I swear I would've stopped if I could've," he says, repeating,

"I'm really sorry, Jae,"

"It's okay, it was an accident... Plus, you got me out of that chem test," he says, and Sungjin laughs again,

"You seemed ready though, your notes were so organized."

"On paper. I didn't absorb any of that information."

"I felt that." and they laugh, settling into silence that is surprisingly comfortable.

Brian was right, Sungjin is pretty easy to talk to and Jae almost scolds himself for not initiating conversation sooner.

"Have you been here the whole time?"

"Oh, yeah. After I told your chem teacher what happened, I stayed and wanted to make sure you woke up."

"They didn't punish you for participating in a fist fight?"

"You think our school cares that much?" he counters and Jae laughs,

"True,"

"Oh..." Sungjin says, looking down at Jae's uniform and Jae follows his line of sight, seeing some blood.

", sorry,"

"Don't apologize, it's my blood, not yours," he jokes,

"That started running 'cause I couldn't retract a punch," Sungjin says, and gets up from his chair and starts ing his uniform. Even if he has a black tee under, Jae still internally freaks at the way Sungjin removes the shirt, giving it to him,

"I have an extra one in my locker, so use this for now, I swear it's clean," and Jae wants to reject it, tell Sungjin he may have a stain stick in his bag, but he accepts it anyway, with a shy and thankful nod. Jae removes his uniform, thankful he wore a shirt underneath and slips Sungjin's on. It's bigger than his own, even though he's taller, and it has a faint smell of cologne.

"Our school may not care about fights but we gotta stay in uniform," Sungjin comments, rolling his eyes and Jae laughs. 

Sungjin looks at the clock,

"You woke up in time for music, if you're up for going?"

"Yeah, I probably should," Jae says, swinging his feet off the bed and Sungjin grabs his arm to steady him and Jae tenses at the contact.

"Are you okay to walk?"

"Y-Yeah!" he replies, tripping over his words like he will over his feet if Sungjin holds his arm the whole way to class.

"You sure?"

"Yup! You punched my face, not my legs," he says accompanied by awkward laughter and Sungjin nods,

"True," 

"Lemme hold your bag, then," Sungjin says, grabbing it before Jae can and swinging it over his shoulder while he carried his own,

"I can take it-"

"Your first impression of me is the who punched you, let me try and make it up to you, yeah?" he cuts off, a dashing smile that Jae wants to make sure is kept on his face. If only Sungjin knew Jae's first impression of him was a boy with a wonderful voice and handsome face to pair.

"Oh, wait, Jae," Sungjin says and Jae turns,

"Hm?"

"Your nose," he replies, poking his own,

"Oh right!" and Jae quickly goes to the restroom to dispose of the bloody tissue and he just gets more embarrassed thinking of Sungjin sticking that up his nose. 

They're in no rush to get to music, Jae wanting to savour this time despite being extremely awkward, so they just walk in comfortable silence for a couple of minutes.

"Does it hurt?"

"Not too bad," Jae assures,

"I'll probably bruise though," 

"Yeah, I think you're already starting. Damn, I'm really so-"

"Sungjin, you've said that like 5 times already," he says with a laugh,

"I know, but I feel so bad!"

Maybe if Jae wasn't a coward, he could've replied with "make it up to me with a date sometime?" but instead he just says,

"But I'm alive! And my glasses didn't crack!" and Sungjin nods at the fact, a small smile on his face.

They stop by Sungjin's locker and Sungjin slips on a uniform, places their bags on the ground and when Jae motions to take his bag back, Sungjin raises his leg and threatens to kick him.

"Isn't this just bullying at this point?" Jae jokes and Sungjin laughs as he leaves the uniform ed, taking their bags,

"Maybe. Or friendly teasing? Fine line between the 2," he says and they get to music shortly after.

They enter the room,

"Oh! Parks." their music teacher, Mr. Lee says once they walk in. Jae catches eye of Brian and Wonpil and the 2 already have amused grins on their faces,

"Glad you guys decided to join us."

"Sorry sir, we-"

"I heard. Smooth, Sungjin," he teases as their music teacher has always been chill with the class. 

"We're starting the duets, but everyone has a partner so... Lookin' forward to what you boys perform!" 

They look at each other,

"You probably don't wanna be with the guy who punched you, right? Sorry," Sungjin says and goes to talk to the teacher, and Jae looks to Brian and Wonpil who are motioning for him to do something, 

"Sir, actually, I think Jae-"

"I'm just wondering what songs are taken, just so there's no overlapping," Jae says, jogging to cut off Sungjin,

"No one chose anything for sure yet," he answers and Jae nods.

He looks at Sungjin who looks almost confused,

"Let's discuss songs, shall we?" he says and Sungjin cracks a smile,

"After you, partner," he jokes along and Jae's glad he walks first because he's blushing a bit.

 

brikang: so jae, did you?

jaepark: ???

brikang: say thank you when you woke up LMAO

wonpillie: HE REALLY KNOCKED YOU OUT LOOL

jaepark: i-

jaepark: i can't believe. this is how we talk for the first time.

brikang: good you talked

brikang: AND HE'S YOUR DUO PARTNEERRRR

jaepark: I KNOW I'M SO AHHHHHH

jaepark: y'all i really dont think im gonna survive this assignment

jaepark: I GOTTA PRACTICE WITH HIM

wonpillie: goals

brikang: wow should've paired with dowoon then.

wonpillie: you would've been alone

brikang: I COULD'VE PAIRED WITH CHAN 

wonpillie: oh yeah...

wonpillie: you think we can switch?

brikang: i hate you 

wonpillie: jae can you speak something into existence for me??

brikang: oh yeah same

jaepark: wait lemme do one more for me

jaepark: sungjin could ask me on a date and i'd say for the love of Jesus up above, yes.

brikang: PFFT

wonpillie: nah bri don't laugh

wonpillie: we laughed last night and this morning, jae gets punched and sungjin carries him to the infirmary

jaepark: PAUSE

jaepark: PAUSEPAUSEPAUSE

jaepark: HE CARRIED ME?!!?

brikang: yeah ??? bro 

brikang: the ?

brikang: you think you just sleepwalked there? 

wonpillie: LMAO

jaepark: LOL SHUT UP

jaepark: omg he carried me.

jaepark: wait, how do y'all know

brikang: we weren't that far behind you

wonpillie: we were yelling for you but your music mustve been loud cause next thing we know

wonpillie: you drop

brikang: LOL IT WAS LIKE A NOODLE GOT INSTANTLY COOKED AND JUST LET ITSELF GO

jaepark: YOU GUYS DIDN'T EVEN ASK HOW I WAS WHEN YOU SAW ME

brikang: you came back with sungjin, we already knew you were giddy

wonpillie: and you didn't look like you had been crying so

wonpillie: everything was gucci

jaepark: wow.

jaepark: y'all are mean

brikang: fine 

brikang: jae, how are you?

wonpillie: does it hurt, are you okay?

jaepark: IN OVER THE MOOOOOON :D

jaepark: SUNGJIN'S MY DUET PARTNER MWUAHAH

wonpillie: maybe this could've happened without you having to be punched in the face

wonpillie: but jae = coward so

jaepark: mehmehmeh i still ended up with my crush as my duet partner

brikang: and a black eye LOL

wonpillie: and bloody nose

jaepark: ok are you guys supportive or not

brikang: "i dont care about your guys' support" - jae, yesterday.

wonpillie: wow that's heartbreaking 

jaepark: LOL i hate you both

 

The school day has yet to start and Jae's at his locker,

"Jae!" Sungjin calls out and Jae turns with a shy smile already on his face when Sungjin winces upon making eye contact,

"Holy , that bruise..." he says and Jae immediately brings his hands up to cover it,

"I know! It's so bad, I didn't realize it would get this bad," he sulks and Sungjin laughs before correcting his expression, remembering he's the one that caused it.

"I'm sorry. Did your parents say anything?"

"I told them I got a basketball to the face in gym," he informs with a wink he didn't mean to happen but it does and Sungjin smiles at it. 

"Did you need to tell me anything?" Jae asks,

"Hm? No, just saw you and thought I'd say good morning,"

"But you didn't," Jae points out and Sungjin replies,

"Oh... Yeah, you're right... I got distracted by your black eye." and they laugh,

"Well, good morning to you too then," Jae says and Sungjin laughs,

"Are you taking that chem test today?"

"Yeah,"

"Good luck," he wishes with a sincere smile that makes Jae's cheeks go pink and Sungjin notices it but isn't too sure.

"I gotta get changed for gym, so I'll see you at music!"

"Yeah, thank you!" 

It's only when Sungjin's already down the hall that Jae realizes he forgot to give back his uniform. He checks his phone and figures he could probably catch Sungjin before first period starts, so he decides why not. It's funny, it seems Sungjin's puched has knocked some vague sense of confidence into Jae.

He goes through the hall leading to the change rooms and doesn't know if he should just walk in or if he should wait. Thankfully, he doesn't contemplate any further when Sungjin comes out in the gym uniform and Jae nearly stutters. It's nothing new, he knows their schools uniform, he's seen multiple people in it, Hell, he owns one. But there's something about seeing Sungjin in black shorts and a tee shirt made his heart pick up speed - just slightly. 

"Oh, Jae," Sungjin says, surprised,

"Hey, sorry, I forgot to give this to you," Jae says, handing him the uniform he borrowed yesterday,

"Oh? Left that at your boyfriend's house?" a voice says as Sungjin accepts the shirt and Jae gets flustered and scared - wondering if that's the boy Sungjin was punching yesterday. 

"Shut up, Jaebum," Sungjin says laughing, turning to smack the other guy on the head and his assumed friend laughs.

"Thanks,"

"No, thank you," Jae says,

"I-I washed it, just to let you know," stuttering because he knows he's lame for reacting at that joke from Jaebum.

"Cool cool, thank you." and they just stand there. Sungjin leaning on the wall and not motioning to leave to put his shirt away and Jae just looking as if absorbing the lovely image. Sungjin thinks Jae looks cute with his binder in his hands and lips in a tiny smile, it's adorable.

"So-"

"I'm gonna go to class now, I'll see you in music!"

"Oh, okay. Thanks for returning this!" 

"Yup!" is all Jae says, already halfway down the hall and he doesn't look back to see Sungjin watch him leave and turn the corner with a smile, laughing to himself quietly before going back into the changeroom to put his shirt away.

Jae's looking forward to music because Mr. Lee's letting them practice on their duos for the next few days which means time with Sungjin. He's excited and anxious, bouncing his leg as he checks the door in intervals and eventually cracks a smile when Sungjin walks through the door. He gives Jae an amused smile, for a reason Jae doesn't know, before he goes to his usual seat.

They split up around the class, out in the stairwell and various practice rooms to work on their duos. Jae and Sungjin manage to get one of the practice rooms, and they're going through their phones looking for music with their guitars in their laps. Jae looks past his phone at Sungjin who looks cute, slightly cross eyed as he scrolls through his music that Jae wants to know about. But for some reason, his brain, mouth and voice work collectively to betray him as he's suddenly reminded of a fact he learned yesterday.

"Was I heavy?" he blurts out and Sungjin looks up from his phone,

"Hm?" and expression genuinely confused even though his lips are already stretching to a smile as Jae wants to smack himself, stuttering on his elaboration of,

"L-Like, yesterday, you carried me to the infirmary, or that's what Bri and Pil told me, did you hurt your back? Was I too heavy? Y-You could've asked Bri to help you, or just leave me there." he rambles and Sungjin snorts,

"Leave you there? Knocked out on the ground?" and Jae just lets out a long,

"Uh," and Sungjin laughs.

"I was taking responsibility. Knocked out a poor passerby, least I could do was bring you to the infirmary... And no, you weren't heavy at all. Actually, you should eat more," and Jae wants to say, "take me sometime" and as if reading his mind, Sungjin says,

"Let's go to the convenience store after practice." and Jae's never been so grateful that music is last period. At a loss for words, he just stares at Sungjin, blinking,

"Unless, of course, you're busy,"

"Nope! Not busy, we can go,"

"Okay, good. I'm hungry and you need to eat,"

"I do eat,"

"You sure?"

"Yeah! Are you sure you eat? I never see you in the caf,"

"Oh, you lookin' for me, Jae?" Sungjin jokes, wiggling his eyebrows in amusement and it makes Jae laugh, despite his red cheeks. He doesn't deny it and Sungjin doesn't press further before they resume song discussion.

Jae really doesn't know how he'll deal with working Sungjin for this assignment, but he decides to not worry about that and just appreciate Sungjin humming tunes before they decide on a song. 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi Hello, my name is Zen! :]

This will probably be like 2 or 3 chapters, I just wanted Park Bros content LOL Anyway! Hope you guys enjoyed the first one. 

I'm always down to make MyDay pals, so feel free to reach out to me on either:

Twitter | Instagram | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | kakao: zenaya