end.

against the odds

Handong has just finished doing her weekly for check-ups that day. Honestly it is a mistake that she makes Saturday as the pets’ clinic only day where regular check-ups are performed for their subscribed customers. It’s definitely the busiest day in every single week. “You are lucky I love cats the most.” Handong talks to the cat wrapped around her arms as if the cat understands her. The cat, Kkomo is one of the regular customer in the clinic. Since the first time it came, Handong has grown fond of the feline. Kkomo is the last one to get checked so Handong decides to sit and play with the kitten. They were busy with their little bonding time when a phone call disrupts. Handong moves to the source of the sound to pick up the ringing office telephone. “Did you ordered a package or something? A delivery woman is here waiting for your confirmation.” It is her secretary, Gahyeon who is on the line. Handong is confused. She definitely does not recall of ordering anything online. Even if she does, she would have put on her home address, not the clinic. “Alright, come here and look after Kkomo while I settle this.” She instructs. Maybe it could be Yoohyeon playing pranks on her. In less than a minute Gahyeon appears and Handong hands the cat to her younger friend. She proceeds to go the counter where the delivery woman is waiting. The said woman is leaning on the walls, eyes closed and both hands holding on the fairly big package. The smaller woman is wearing a red snapback which almost covers her eyes and the lenses-less glass she is sporting. She has black short hair that perfectly shapes her rather small face. Handong has to admit, the woman looks very well dressed. The delivery woman is wearing their company’s uniform with an extra jacket in which Handong assumes does not come with the uniform. Handong’s gaze travels to back to the woman facial features, noticing the delivery woman looks exhausted. The black circles below her eyes are not successfully concealed. Poor thing, Handong sympathize the woman. Realising that she may had been staring for a bit too long and the black haired is definitely a busy worker, she clears to catch the latter’s attention. The poor woman jerks at the sudden sound and scurries to fix herself. Almost dropping the box she has been holding. Handong feels bad for jumping the out of the woman. “Sorry, didn’t meant to scare you.” Handong apologizes. Her eyes involuntarily fall on the woman’s nametag which reads ‘Yoobin’. Such a pretty name for beautiful person, Handong says in her head. “But are you sure the package is supposed to be sent here?” Handong questions politely. Locking their eyes together. There is a short moment of awkward silence until Yoobin finally answers the question. Handong swears the smaller woman’s face turns red for a brief second. Is it because of the heat? But their air conditioner is working perfectly and it is cold though. “Yea- Yeah. Here it is written where the address is.” Yoobin set the package on top of the counter and takes out a piece of a neatly folded paper out of her pocket. She takes some time to read whatever is written on the paper. She frowns. This does not go unnoticed by the vet. “Is there something wrong?” The vet asks softly. Handong concludes that Yoobin must had got the address wrong. “I’m sorry but I may had made a mistake and got the wrong address.” Yoobin bows to apologize. She inspects the paper again and notices there is actually two addresses written on it which will reduces the severity of her dumb and careless mistake. “It says here ‘if the first address did not work, try the second one.’. Which is this veterinary’s address.” Yoobin confirms. This sparks curiosity in Handong’s brain. “Really? Can I take a look on it?.” She requests. Yoobin deliberately hands the paper. “Ah! The first one is my house’s address. My housemate must had placed the order.” Handong finally conludes. But the question does not end there. “But our address is still available though. Or did you need to personally hands the package?” Handong hands the paper back to Yoobin, now expecting an answer to her question. “It’s not that. I did not unfold the paper properly and missed the first address.” Yoobin ducks her face out of embarrassment. She hopes her snapback will hide the blush creeping on her face. Regaining her composure, Yoobin stands straight, ready to leave. “I’m sorry I took your time, you must had been busy. And no, we just have to deliver the order on the recipients’ mailbox or house.” Yoobin bows slightly more than 90 degrees as a sincere apology. How could one be angry to such a respectful person? Handong thoughts. At this point, Handong already takes a liking at the impossibly cute delivery woman. “It’s fine, I was just resting earlier. Just leave the package here. Please, you don’t have to waste your time sending it to my place now that you’re here.” Handong insists. The image of Yoobin looking all energy drained out flashes in before her eyes. Yoobin places the brown box back to where she put on earlier. “If that is what you insisted, Miss?” Yoobin trails off. Why would she ask the name of someone she would probably meet just once in her lifetime? Plus, she does not know if the woman is married or not. She mentally slaps herself. “Handong. Miss Handong” The doctor says while giving her best smile. She prays she does not look like she had done an explosive Chemistry experiment because handling Kkomo is not easy at all. “Miss Handong it is then.” Yoobin says as she took of her white glove on her right hand and stretch it for a handshake. It is extremely unnecessary but somehow Yoobin is eager to hold the doctor’s hand. Handong sensing Yoobin’s action, reciprocating the gesture. They could feel the electricity when their hands meet. Yoobin’s eyes first set on their handshake then decides to travel its way to the other’s eyes. It’s a wrong move. Their eyes instantly lock on each other’s as Handong has been staring Yoobin since their skin first touched. They stay like that for a while, both freeze on their spots, eyes still piercing deep into each other’s. Yoobin breaks the silence first. As much as she wants to stay and get to know Handong, she still has works to finish. They both bid goodbyes with a rather heavy heart. Both wish it is not going to be their last time.

Whatever wish granting creature that saw their first encounter must have had overheard their unspoken thoughts. Because Yoohyeon actually subscribed for a weekly package, where she will receive a member-only package twice a week. Which means every week they will be meeting again and again that is until Yoohyeon subscription expires. In which Handong has been making sure Yoohyeon renews. Such desperate action piques the latter’s interest. It all starts when Handong is driving way back home from work when she and Yoobin meet again, this time on the threshold of Handong and Yoohyeon’s house but with Yoohyeon with them. At first Yoohyeon does not find their awkwardness any suspicious. But as weeks pass by, delivery after delivery, she finds both women seem to be oblivious of the feelings they have for each other growing more visible in each encounters. Somehow Yoobin knows exactly the time taken for Handong to arrive home. As if Handong knows too, tries to finish work as early as possible, wanting to go home early to shower and look just nice for the delivery woman. Yoohyeon finds it ridiculously uncommon for a person to put on so much efforts just to claim a package delivery moreover in their own house. It’s to that point where Handong will sit on the side of the sofa that is the nearest to the door and will be the first one to stand up and rushes to open the door whenever the doorbell rings. Sometimes it is Minji, Yoohyeon’s girlfriend and Yoohyeon could not forget Handong’s face of disappointment when it is Minji and not Yoobin ringing the doorbell. That later turns into annoyance as the couple purposely play a prank on the love-struck woman by imitating how Yoobin would rings the doorbell whenever they come home. They have never seen Handong became so whipped. They have been teasing the love poisoned woman for threatening them to not to open the door and make sure it’s only her to do so if someone is outside. Who knows such composed and stiff-to-stranger person can be so head over heels for someone.

It has been the third week and the one who delivers the package is not Yoobin. Sighing, Handong closes door and stares at the box for a short second. It’s almost a month already. She wonders if Yoobin has finally given up on her. Truthfully, she is about to make a move on the latter three weeks ago. She cannot believe she missed her chance all because she is scared the delivery woman will not have the same feelings as her. Now she is thinking about it, even her feelings are not returned, they could at very least become friends. With heavy steps, he brings the box upstairs and place it in front of Yoohyeon closed door. She knocks and with the most disheartened voice, tells Yoohyeon that her package has arrived before making her way returning to her own bedroom. Not feeling well at all. Yoohyeon and Minji are in Yoohyeon’s room, actually anticipating today’s event in case Yoobin finally appears and Handong’s mood to lift again. Too bad, another saddening one happens. They have been trying to give Handong words of encouragement for the past weeks but they worry that it will not work anymore next time. Yoohyeon could not bear to lay her eyes on the devastated look plastered on the latter’s face so she stays inside the room until sounds of Handong’s door’s lock clicks is heard. She proceeds to take the box and sadly stares at Handong’s door. She places the package on her night stand. She snuggles to her lover, as if the couple and Handong are experiencing the same thing, decide to stay on bed for the rest of the evening, only difference is Handong is feeling rather lonely.

It’s a cold night. Not because Handong is still broken-hearted, but due the thunderstorm outside. It has been raining since evening and has not stop until now. Handong wraps herself on her big blanket. A little bit scared because she is home alone. Yoohyeon is staying at Minji’s for a week starting yesterday. The reason is to let Handong have some alone time. She is about to drift into the dream world when her doorbell rings. She jumps at the sudden sound, sending shivers down her spine. She is absolutely terrified to check who it is. She hopes it is not a ghost that is going to haunt her. She brushes it off and tries to cover the blanket all over her body, hiding. But the ringing does not stop so she braves herself and reluctantly goes downstairs. Occasionally getting startled by the sound of thunders roaring. She decides to peek on her windows just in case it is not a murderer or anyone suspicious. As she moves the curtain and peeks, she sees someone drenched in rain, that person arms wrapped around something Handong could not really put her mind into. But even through the dim lights outside, Handong could recognize the short hair anywhere. In a heartbeat she rushes to open her door. The sight she witnesses when she opens the door sinks her heart. Yoobin, all wet and shaking from cold. Before she could ask a hundred questions on what on earth happened, Yoobin cuts her off quickly, trying to mutter something through her gritted teeth and bones shaking. “Pl-Please save him.” Yoobin stutters a beg and shows what is in her arms. There, Yoobin’s coat is used as a blanket, lies an unconscious grey cat. Apart from the Yoobin’s already bloody wound on her head, the cat has a large cut on its thigh. Just by the looks of it, the cut is deep enough to cause death from blood lost. Handong knows what she is supposed to do but she cannot choose whose wounds she needs to treat first. She does not even know if Yoobin has any other injuries from whatever accident happened for her appear like this on her threshold with a dying cat at the middle of the night. As if Yoobin could read Handong’s messy mind through the latter’s delayed action, she pleads again. “Please, save him first. I beg you.” She reaches out for Handong to take the poor cat. Handong although still hesitating, takes the cat and instructs Yoobin to come in. “I will try my best I promise. But please, lie down first. I will look at your injuries next.” Handong is almost begs and close to panicking. She is worried sick of the other woman. How could someone be so selfless, she thought. Without wasting any more time, she goes upstairs to one of her room where she used to do her work. Not before taking a last look of Yoobin who sits on floor when Handong had already told her to lie down on the sofa, her chest heaving up and down. Handong could see the injured woman is having troubles to breath. She knows she has got to be quick. Before becoming a veterinarian, she is a doctor and before opening a veterinary clinic, she used to work without a proper veterarinary license at home. She quickly performs an operation on the cat. Trying to focus as much as she could although she desperately wants to check on Yoobin if she is still alive.

Yoobin stirs. Her body feels oddly exhausted. She tries to open her eyes only to be greeted by blinding rays of the sun. She tries to lift her head to inspect around but to no avail, the throbbing sensation on her forehead preventing her to move her head away from the pillow not more than a centimetre. She tries to at least lift her right hand when she feels it is being held down. She looks over to see what it is and is surprised to see Handong sleeping while holding her hand. Yoobin heart soften at the sight. She takes some time to appreciate the woman’s beauty. Her face looks so calm she would not dare to disturb her from her peace. She misses Handong so much. She has to admit; their first encounter was magical. Because ever since then her thoughts are occupied of the vet. She realises how deep she has fallen to a deep hole that is Miss Handong when she tries to do her best to meet the woman every twice a week. She is definitely deeply in love with the woman. Her trains of thoughts stop when she thinks of how Handong had sent her to the hospital. Her body slightly jolts in realisation. “Mi-Miss Handong, wake up.” She tries to wake up the doctor. She does not need to do any multiple attempts to do so as Handong quickly sits straight and looks over Yoobin. Handong is startled but mostly due to her worries of Yoobin. “The cat. The cat, Miss Handong. Is it okay? Did you save him?” Yoobin bombards Handong with questions who has just arise from a deep sleep and still trying to get a hold of her surroundings. When Handong’s mind is clear as distilled water and not hazy anymore she answers to Yoobin’s worry. “Nannan is okay. He was just under a critical condition for a few hours but he has been stable ever since. The wound is healing. He was only close to death because of blood lost. But overall he is safe and sound.” Handong reassures. She keeps her hold on Yoobin’s hand, carefully caressing it as if a smallest move will hurt the other. “Ah, that is good. Thank you. I see you named her.” Yoobin calms down. Finally, she could breathe without panicking, her body completely relaxes until notices one thing. Handong is holding and caressing her hand. Her heart beats quickly at this. Out of embarrassment, she tries to retreat her hand but Handong’s grip only tightens even more as if she does want to let go. Her eyes look over to see Handong’s reaction and she is meet with a somehow angry expression. She is actually terrified of that look as it is her first time to see the doctor angry. “Where have you been? What happened last night?” Handong prompts answers from her. The latter does not even sure where to start. She takes a deep breath, but not so deep as it pains her chest to breath too deeply. She winces at the pain but still manages to mutters the explanations Handong wants. “Last night I was going home late from work. I am not working at the post office anymore, the agency that manages the post office moved my sector without notice to an editor. The rain poured too heavily last night I could not see Nannan crossing the road. God knows what the hell he is doing under the rain but I tried to avoid him but I wasn’t quick enough. We ended up collided. I recognized the road, so I walked to your address. I was lucky I didn’t get the address wrong that time-“ an index fingers shushes Yoobin, stopping her from finishing her sentences. “That’s enough. Enough.” Handong tells her. Handong eyes are glassy, tears threatening to fall. She lifts Yoobin’s to hand put in on her lips, kissing the back of the short-haired’s palm. If the pain on her chest is not already killing her, the sight of Handong breaking down is going to end her life for real. She hates to see the beautiful face of the vet to be ruined by tears that is caused by her. This kind of sight is the last thing she wants to witness. She opens to make an apology but Handong shakes her head to disapprove and so she stays silent. It is killing her so she really needs stop the crying, she thoughts. “I’m glad you are fine. I was so worried for almost a month. Thank you.” Handong says which confuses Yoobin. She understands the point of the first two sentences but the last one Yoobin could not comprehend it at all. Why a thank you? “I really had thought you had given up on me. Thank you.” Handong says again, lowering their hands and intertwines their fingers, slightly embarrassed of the indirect confession. Yoobin tries to digest the situation. She mentally slaps herself for being dense this whole time. All this time, they actually like each other but are too oblivious of it? Things could have been different if she confessed first, Yoobin regrets. But she has high hopes that this can be fixed. “I didn’t give up on you. I haven’t even tried yet, you know.” Yoobin confesses. It’s true, all this time all she does is trying to get closer to Handong but she never tries to actually hit on her let alone asks for her phone number and neither does Handong. They are that stupid. “I know that this is too sudden. But I know our feelings are mutual. Can I bring you out for a date, maybe?” Yoobin requests, finally gathering all her guts to ask the woman she loves so much for a date. This time she will not let the chance slips away from her hand. She is going to get the woman and make Handong hers. She is confident about it. “I thought I am the one who is going to make the first move.” Handong laughs, Yoobin follows suit. Yoobin looks the long haired woman, expecting an answer although it is already obvious it is a yes. “Yes, I would like to go on a date with you, Miss Yoobin.” Handong says, her lips curving into a big smile. They fall into a comfortable silence. Both feeling content and eyeing each other lovingly, fingers intertwined. “Can I kiss you?” . That is supposed to be said in her inner voice, Yoobin curses in her mind. Her face heats up at this. Handong is amused by how straightforward Yoobin is. She lets out a soft giggle. One trait of the woman she learns today is that she is adorably impulsive. “Rushing to things aren’t we?” Handong moves her seat closer to Yoobin’s upper body. She playfully leans dangerously close to Yoobin until the tip of their noses touch. This daring action almost drives Yoobin into insanity. She swallows hard the lump in . She could not stop diverting her eyes between Handong’s eyes and lips. The mischievous looks on Handong’s face is all Yoobin could see at this proximity. Yoobin does not have to ask twice before leaning in, she knows what this means. Their lips finally touch, surges of warmness washes over their body. Yoobin is getting drunk from the taste of cherry flavour on Handong’s lips. Both of them getting intoxicated from the feelings of each other’s lips on theirs. The kiss alone holds so much unspoken feelings and confessions in it. Longing, love, bliss, content and all that matters. Their affection is pure, blossomed from the most genuine part of their heart. They hold their kiss for longer, trying to enjoy the spectacular moment. From what feels forever, Handong is the first one to break the kiss, both out of breath and gasping for air. They hold each other’s hands tight, afraid that one of them might disappear and that they might be actually sleeping and it’s all just a dream and fantasy. But it is not, it is reality. Not a dream, fantasy or some false memories. “I love you.” Both say in unison, taking each other by surprise which causes a fit of laughter erupts. The evening passes by just like that, sharing interests, exchanging information, finding things in common and connection getting stronger and stronger each minutes.