Signature Hunt

They Say

They say that the first day of classes is always exciting. New friends, new classrooms, new professors, new students to make fun of during the initiations, etcetera, etcetera.

They say it's fun. I say it's a drag.

“Excuse me,” a delicate voice utters beside me. I hold my drink away from my lips before facing her. A freshman. “May I ask if you know any of these seniors whose names are written here?”

I glance at the form she’s holding. That's the reason why I knew she's a freshie.

Every year, freshmen are given a week for a signature hunt. Seniors from our department would make ten groups with six to nine members each. Usually, every group consists of just a bunch of friends. Every freshman is given three forms (three random groups) to have them signed by those people whose names are on it before the students can have another form signed by the department officers.

You can't get the signatures easily, though. Sometimes, seniors would just sign right away, other times, they'd make you do stuff for their entertainment.

I take the papers in her hand and scan the names, to check if she has our group, or if I know someone else.

“Twice Love,” I read the first name of the group and look up. “You see those girls?” I point the group of girls stretching on the stage. “That’s the first group.”

“Thank you.”

I flip the paper and scan the second form. I don't know anyone. It's not like I know a lot of people in our small school anyway. I proceed to check the last group.

Lemondays.

I softly let out a sigh as my eyes land on a certain name. Park Sungjin.

I clench my jaw and hand back the forms to the petite girl standing beside me.

“I don't know anyone else.”

She utters her thanks when a hand suddenly grab the sheets before she could even hold them.

“Lemondays. Oh, isn't Park your crush?”

I glare at Versa and sip on my iced shaken black tea again. Then, not-so-familiar voices enter my ears.

"That's them." She instructs the girl. "Lemondays."

There's Park. Park Jaehyung, the tallest and lankiest. Yep, that's my crush. And there’s another Park wearing flannel on a white tee printed with ‘DON'T WASTE YOUR TALENT’ and a black cap embroidered with the letter U. And that's the Park that I hate.

I can't really say that I hate him. It's just that, I hate his guts.

It all started during the signature hunt last year. I was a freshman then. And I needed his signature.

He didn't make it easy for me. It may not be a big deal for others but for a person like me who quivers when all eyes are on her, it was an issue. But also, my adventurous self didn't want to back down on a challenge. I did an awkward dance on a table and god, I feel so humiliated.

Fortunately, most of the students who were around were also busy with completing the forms and seniors who were busy watching the freshies who needed their signs.

Unfortunately, there were some who remembered me.

Fortunately again, I knew Park Jaehyung because of that.

His cute laugh followed by an authoritative clap really caught me then.

“Okay, that's enough,” was the first sentence I heard from him. He even stretched his hand to offer as a support for me to go down the table.

Since then, my eyes would always seem to find him and my heart seems to beat faster than it usually does. Then I knew, I have a big fat crush on the Park Jaehyung.

His soft chuckles that would give me tingling feeling as if I'm being tickled. His jaw is perfectly molded. His tiny eyes that are always shining and are even brighter when he smiles. His plump lips that I'm pretty sure are soft and are inviting to touch. His slender fingers, although calloused, feels so comforting to hold. How can someone not love every inch, every millimeter of Park Jaehyung? Have I already mentioned his voice? Because, man, it has that suave vibe that makes your knees go weak.

“Earth to Reina.” Versa groans afterward.

I put down my drink again to glance at her. She nods, motioning me to look at my left. Three freshmen are looking at me.

“We already signed while you were daydreaming about Park,” she smirks. “I made them run an errand. Berly made them sing.”

I sigh and outstretch my hand to take their forms. Without further ado, I signed their papers.

“The other girls in the group are probably in the cafeteria,” I beam at them. “One of them is carrying a white tote bag and there are animal pins pinned on it.”

“You're too soft, Ina.”

My friends wanted to be one of the groups for the signature hunt to take revenge. They want to get back to what they've gone through last year. Versa was made to eat a whole lemon. Berly was asked to count the ants on the wall.

Me? I wanted to be one of the huntees to at least lessen the humiliation that others would experience. It may be fun to others, but to some--people like me--it's a horror. So I sign them right away without making them do anything. Why should they suffer because of the so-called revenge anyway? It should be the seniors to receive it, not these innocent little lads who know nothing about what we experienced a year ago.

Not long enough, we hear heavy footsteps and gasping as soon as the steps halt.

“Drink,” Chelle says in between breaths. I offer mine and she groans. “You're biting your straw again.”

I roll my eyes. “It's not like I can stop the habit.”

Versa whistles making our heads turn towards her. “Park,” she nods.

One second I see Jaehyung laughing, the other my heart is already rolling on the ground but I am pulled back in reality almost immediately when another Park catches my vision. They’re walking towards us. Or at least at our direction.

I catch Sungjin's subtle smirk and I pull my gaze right away only to meet Jaehyung's eyes. He smiles widely and waves instantly as he tilts his head a bit to the side.

My eyebrows raise in surprise. I look behind me and there's no one. When I look back at him, his smile becomes wider.

“Reina de mi vida,” he states with open arms as if announcing something.

I may not be fluent in Spanish but I know basic words. I understood what he just muttered: Queen of my life.

Younghyun, the sharp-eyed senior, repeats his words in a singsong manner.

They stop their steps in front of us and I hear a very loud thump when senior Jaehyung gently puts his hand on my head. He bends down and levels his eyes with mine.

“So you like him, huh?”

I stare at him in confusion. My ultra-mega-crush asking me if I like him.

Wait.

Who's him?

I blink and tilt my head.

I see Wonpil nudging Sungjin at the corner of my eyes. It seems stronger than he expected to do that the latter's cap fell.

My gaze shifts to him.

He looks rather fresh. He let his hair grow again. Few weeks before the break, he shaved his head and he seemed so pleased about it that most of us thought he'd maintain that buzz-cut look. A lot of girls swooned more to him because of the bad-boy look. I didn't hate it. It just got on my nerves because it added on his smugness.

But seeing his short hair now reminds me how much of a good looking person who is. Okay, I admit. I never gave less credit on his looks, okay? I know his handsome. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

But I still don't like him.

He looks younger; like a boy going under adolescence.

I mentally shake my head and pull my attention back to the person in front of me. Before I could even ask, senior Younghyun announces what Jaehyung actually meant.

“The Dancing Queen likes our Dancing King?”

I snap my head towards him. My friends do so, too.

Dancing queen. The nickname I instantly wore a year ago after that dance on the table. They say it suits me ‘cause my name means queen.

But ‘Dancing King’ who?

“I thought she hated Sungjin because of last year,” Wonpil butts in. “Maybe what they say is true: the more you hate, the more you love.”

“Wait--Su-Sungjin?”

My friends look at me and I mirror their shocked expressions.

“I don't--”

“It's okay.” Jae cuts me off as he softly taps my shoulder. “No need to be shy about it. Although I was hoping that if you'd like someone in our circle, it would be me. No sweat, though.”

I knit my brows. What does he mean?

And, no. I don't like Sungjin. How did they even have this kind of idea?

I glimpse at Sungjin and his eyebrow is raised. The corner of his lips, too. Oh how much I want to erase that smug.

They say it's a nightmare when your crush finds out that you like him. I say it's worse when people assume that you like the person who you actually dislike.

Just… what the heck?!