I Love You?

It Could've Been Us

SehunxRosé

Sehun and Rosé are bestfriends who also happens to be very successful lawyers who also run their own law firm. 

Together as partners. 

Some things have never been said that they wish they could've said sooner.

Will they ever?

Author's POV 

Outfits 

Sehun in a navy blue suit, no tie, navy blue slacks, black shirt, top button undone.

Rosé in a strappy long white gown, accentuating her beautiful curves with a slit at the right side.

Sehun's birthday party is being celebrated, well this is the first party for the week, at their law firm with all their peers and colleagues. 

Rosé stands up and clinked her glass trying to get everyone's attention. In which, she did as everybody turned to look at her, eyes wide in anticipation. 

She might've heard a few people talking about how it was sweet of her to prepare something like this for someone she only addressed as a business partner somewhere in this room as she went around greeting everyone who worked at the company but she quickly brushed the thought away initially starting her speech.


"To my very bestfriend, partner in crime, and no -" She made to take a round on all of them. "We are not lovers - I can hear all your murmurs." And gossips. She wanted to add and they just chuckled at her remark.

"Happy Birthday to the most handsome, young, talented, and hardworking -"

"And hot!" Sehun butted in, earning a huge laugh from the crowd.

"Don't push it." She said while pointing at him and he winked at her causing her to smile from ear to ear.

"Anyway, where was I?" 

"He's hot!" Baekhyun, one of the junior partners there yelled, making everyone laugh again.

This is gonna be a long night, she thought. But she still laughed. 

"And the hottest, most dashing(she emphasized the word with a lot sarcasm) person I know, Oh Sehun."

And as if on cue, the applause, whistles, and other kinds of sounds people can make with their mouths, filled the room.

During the speech, she never took her eyes off him. And him on hers. Sehun knew she wasn't someone who gave out genuine compliments often unless a.) she really meant it and b.) unless it was to show that she was civil and was capable of giving human affection. Because she hated being called uptight.

But as he was looking into her eyes, he knew she meant every word that came out of and he smiled at her thoughtfulness that she fails to see herself. 


Rosé's POV

I was running, well, I was trying to run, but these heels are a pain in the , towards Sehun to tell him the other gift I got him.

"Sehun!" He looked surprised as if I just snapped him out of whatever it was he was thinking of.

Anyways, I was beaming at him. All giddy and jumpy and he just looked at me weird but I knew he was only trying to figure out what I'm so excited about.

"I have a surprise for you." I said, excitement visible in my voice.

He furrowed his brows at me. 

"So this wasn't really the surprise?" 

"No! I got you something else!" 

He just chuckled at my childish attitude.

"What is it?" 

"Ok, wait. I have to go get -" Should I use 'it' or 'her' 

"Stay there!" I commanded cutely. 

He chuckled a response. "Ok!"

I flew his fiancee all the way from New York to surprise him for his birthday party. 

And this girl is none other than the beautiful and charming, Irene Kim. She was a model, well, more of a face model, because you know, she barely reached 5 ft.

No offense. 

And the last time I knew they saw each other was 2 months ago due to their busy schedule.

I tried to talk to him about it, and he said they were still contacting each other often when they have the time, and I didn't want him to lose the only girl he's ever dated since that Yoona girl back in high school.  

Who was also his first breakup, first kiss - Basically his first girlfriend.

Also, because he needs to get laid cause yeah…

So, I called her and asked her to come to his surprise birthday party. Gave her tickets and booked a hotel, all that shenanigans and that made her agree. 

Modeling is a very unpredictable job.

"C'mon unnie!" I quickly pulled Irene, whom I hid inside my office, so we could quickly get back.

"Surprise!" I said. Ok, I yelled and watched his eyes go wide in shock. 

Irene made the first move and hugged him, making him hug her back.

Then he pushed her back a little so he could take a good look at her just to make sure he wasn't imagining it

"Oh - wow! I-i-i can't believe you're here!" Sehun finally said and he hugged her again.

I smiled at my successful plan.

I'm pretty good at setting people up. Considering the fact that I set them up and now they're getting married. 

Well, almost. 

"Thank you Rosé." He was smiling at me.

"Anything for my bestfriend." I said as I smiled back at him.

"Anyways, I'll be going and leave you two to - uh - you know-" 

"Ok, Rosé. We're in public." Irene unnie said despite the blush creeping up on her cheeks. 

I gave them an 'OK' signal and winked as I walked away, hearing the sound of their chuckles slowly fade.

----

I found it very comfortable here on the rooftop. 

This is where all our dreams, ideas, and goals started.

We've always been together.

Through everything. 

Heartaches, bad news, good news, his parent's divorce, first girlfriend/boyfriend, first kiss, even down to our first day here on Earth.

Our moms have been bestfriends all their lives and they wanted their children to be the same. 

And I always remembered that.

Bestfriends. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I was happy about that. 

"I still am." I thought as I was looking up at the sky, admiring the beauty of the night sky. 

The stars were ridiculously plenty tonight. Most days there were none but that didn't stop me from going up here every night to clear my head.

This is my happy place.

This is also where I realized that I love Sehun. 

More than just bestfriends, but a romantic type of love.

I realized this when he told me that he and Irene were dating. As he was talking about her, I felt a sudden pang in my chest. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack or something, and I wasn't particularly happy about how he talked about her even though I asked him to tell me stories about them and what she's like, but I kept that smile on my face as I mindlessly nod at every word he says.

Me and Sehun, we were very close. I thought of him as my own brother. I told him everything and he did the same. We shared tears, laughter, hardships, and basically everything together. I was so firm in labeling him as my "bestfriend" and have never seen him any other way since. 

But I always knew that there was this voice somewhere, deeply hidden by yours truly, in the back of my head telling me it's not that. 

It's just not that.

And the night of the day he announced that they were dating, I went up here to clear my head. Also, because I felt like I was really dying considering the amount of pain I was feeling in my chest. 

And then it hit me, I'm inlove with my bestfriend.

Which also means that I'm ed.

Good thing I'm a great actress. Did you see what I pulled back there? Somebody give me an Oscar.

Even with all this realization crap, I promised myself to always let his happiness come first. 

I just knew that he would choose her over me. I mean, he's never looked at me that way before and I'm pretty sure he was happy and he really loved her. 

And it would make me the worst person in the world if I ever broke his heart by telling him. 

Cause I knew it would break his heart to reject me and I'm afraid of seeing everything that we've ever been fall apart.

I can't. I just couldn't do it.

I noticed that tears were already streaming down the sides of my face but I was still smiling, letting out a small chuckle as I recalled how great I am at keeping my jealous in check.

I should really consider being an actress. 

Bringing her here was the most painful thing I did. And let me tell you how many times I debated whether or not to put in all the work just so she could come to his party even though he already said she wouldn't make it.

But it was all worth it just to see him happy. 

Give me the title "Best-ing-friend in the Universe"

So like BFFU? Ok, we'll settle for that.

I was busy self-pitying myself when suddenly….

"What the fu-??!?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs when my very appreciative and grateful bestfriend here decided to scare me despite knowing the little tolerance I have for people creeping up on me.

He laughed so loud. Proud at his successful attack.

I started hitting his arm and pinching his side.

"You think that's funny huh?" I said through gritted teeth.

His smile was so big, I was afraid his cheeks would break and his eyes were teary, obviously tears of joy, and he nodded while he wiped the tears away, the sound of his laughs slowly fading.

"You know I was thinking about how you're the love of my life but that's gone now." I said rather sarcastically. 

He looked at me, his eyes wider than it could be, paired with a raised eyebrow as if I've never said something ridiculous before. 

I don't wanna sound like I'm a conceited , but there were hints of hope and obvious shock in his eyes.

"What?" I gave him the 'you're-so-weird' face.

"What did you say again?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

"What - what?" Cause it's what I just said before he asked.

"No -" he pinched my cheeks and I slapped his hand away, holding on to it cause I know he's gonna do it again.

"Before you asked 'What?'" He continued. The hope and shock we're replaced with anticipation and expectation, but again it might just be me, because it's too dark to tell.

"Uh-" I contemplated whether or not to repeat what I said again, but decided it would be less complicated if I didn't.

Plus, I'll be damned.

"I don't remember anymore." I hope that sounded convincing. 

"No, no. You don't get to do this to me Roseanne." 

Use of full name means he's serious. 

I gulped. He was still staring at me and I might just pee my pants right here.

"Why are you here again?" I asked, trying to change the subject. 

"I asked you a question." He said firmly. 

"And I refuse to answer." I simply replied. 

I realized I was still holding on to his hand so I quickly pulled that away but he started reaching for them again.

It's happening.

"Please Chae…" He begged softly, his voice still deep and husky. He knew full well that this is my absolute weakness and I was trying so hard to keep my poker face but I can feel my cheeks heating up.

If it wasn't night time, I would've been fully exposed. 

Then, just when I thought I had the will power to resist, he put his arms around me and rested his lips near my ear.

"Please…" Ok, that's it.

I pushed his face away. Face-palming him.

"You have a fiancé, in case you forgot."

He let out a disappointed groan.

"She already told me to spend less time with you because apparently she said and I quote, "He's always Chae this, Chae that.." bla bla bla." I rolled my eyes, remembering that time.

He looked taken back. "What? She said that?"

"Yea, I can't believe you used Chae. You know I go by Rosé!"
Completely ignoring his obvious look of concern on his face.

Why do I feel so bold and upfront when I'm on this roof? 

Ugh.

"Seriously Chaeng, What else did she say?" He asked in a serious tone.

I screwed up. Now I'm gonna ruin his relationship that he obviously cares about, and I continue to be that burden he still thinks he has to protect cause apparently I'm ing made of glass and can't find a decent boyfriend even if my life depends on it.

"Sehun, it's no big deal. You and Irene are so happy. Literally perfect for each other and what she said to me was because of jealousy, you know. I mean, what kind of girl would want her soon-to-be husband talking about another girl?" I tried to reason with him but he was firm with where he stands, and he's not gonna give up till he gets the answer.

"Irene has been acting really…" he paused, trying to find the right words to say. "Different." 

He looked at me as he said, "I'm starting to feel like this was all a mistake."

I made sure to find any hint of sarcasm, playfulness, and every other feeling in this world that indicated he was lying, but found none. 

I was trying to think of words to say, but there's nothing. In all my 25 yrs of being the most annoying, talkative, sarcastic piece of , I don't have anything to say. 

"Please say something." He sounded so sad. I knew he loved her, maybe he just needed my motivation again to assure him that he's doing the right thing.

Do I really want him to marry Irene? I mean the girl has been real y ever since she got famous in Korea for being beautiful. 

Maybe he's just confused? 

Ok, Chaeng. It's his happiness before yours, like you've practiced so many times before. 

You can do this. You're a pro. (Self-motivation is important.)

"I can't lie." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean she's been kinda y ever since she became the "Face of Korea"." Insert my eye roll right here with a touch of cynicism. "And - and when I offered to fly her here, all expenses paid trip by the way, she said she refuses to, unless she was flying first class, and had atleast 2 body guards looking after her. Not to mention she made me book the most expensive suite in the most expensive hotel in the whole ing Korea!" 

Wow, that was tiring. I literally gasped for air after that speech. I was so mad, I forgot to breathe. 

I didn't mean to say it. I swear. But this damned rooftop is making me spill my guts!

He just stared at me in shock and disbelief. 

"That explains why she's staying at this really expensive hotel that you and I hate so much!!!" He exclaimed. Realization hitting him.

He shook his head taking it all in.

"Tsk."

"You didn't tell her that you hated that hotel, did you?"

He looked at me in disbelief trying to figure out if I was serious or not.

"You just dropped the biggest bomb on me and that's your concern?" Any moment now and he would snap.

I just shrugged my shoulders and decided to change the subject again.

"I mean if it makes you feel any better, she's currently unemployed right now so she'll be staying in Korea and you'll get to see her a lot!" I said it with a lot of giddiness. Is that a word? 

"Are you seriously suggesting I still continue with this wedding despite the fact that she disrespected you?" 

His tone was serious and I knew right there that I should stop spilling beans and joking about it. But I'm glad he found out now than after their wedding. 

Also, maybe he's implying that he's choosing me over her and I blushed at the thought.

"I wasn't. I shouldn't have said anything. I just wanted you to be happy ok, so I did what she told me on impulse."

I looked down at my lap. Feeling ashamed that I let myself be pushed around like that and it was all because of him. 

He suddenly hugged me and I flinched a little but I hugged him back. I buried my nose on his shoulders, taking in his scent and I realized that he was doing the same.

I felt my heart beat so fast and it suddenly felt so hot even though it's almost winter in Korea.

Uhm, now that I have come to terms with my feelings for him, I am now trying to - but not really - avoid skinship with him, because I'm shy and I'm a girl.

Also because you can feel his rock hard abs even in underneath all that thick fabric and my heart can only take so much.

"Are you ok now?" I whispered.

He nodded on my shoulder. 

I flinched a little when he nodded and I hope he didn't feel any of that.

I was gonna pull away cause any second now and my heart would burst but he held me tighter and my heartbeat doubled in pace. I'm so sure he can hear it and his was really fast too, but wasn't it always like that? 

Not sure. I'm delusional and very very hot at the moment. 

"Your heart's beating so fast…" he utters, voice barely above a whisper.

I was panicking and that probably wasn't the best move, because I think my heartbeat got a little more faster, again.  

And I'm pretty sure I look like a tomato.

"Are you gonna tell me what you said earlier the minute I got here? I kept thinking about it." 

I decided that I'm already a big girl and running away was a teenager thing, so I it up and just relaxed.

"I said -" ok wait. "I was thinking about how you're the love of my life…" I left out the last part. 

It felt like the perfect time to finally let it out.

I exhaled. A big one.

He pulled away and rested his forehead on mine. Giving me an intense stare, while I stared back waiting for myself to slowly melt under his gaze cause I would very much want to disappear right now after that bold confession. 

"You're mine too." He whispers to me and I can already see a smile forming.

"But you're my bestfriend." I told him because I was very scared about where this conversation could go.

"I know-" he nodded. "And I don't care."

"What?" I still couldn't digest this entire situation. 

My mind can barely handle having a crush, let alone a confession. 

"I love you Rosé. I really really do." 

I found myself smiling really wide as I gave up on trying to hide my joy when he said that, and he chuckled as a response.

"Since when?" I asked him.

He sit up straight and cupped my cheeks in each hand, looking me straight in the eye.

"Ever since I laid eyes on you." 

I opened my mouth to respond, but no words came out. They all end up being stuck in my damn tongue.

So I gave him a quick peck on the lips. 

His eyes widen in surprise and started giggling, as I looked away, trying to dig my own grave.

Maybe this rooftop would make a good cemetery. 

"Rosie.." he said sweetly as he lifted my chin, so I would meet his gaze.

"You didn't know what to say did you?"

I shook my head lightly.

And I see him, leaning closer and stops just an inch away. He looks at me as if he's asking for permission. 

So I close my eyes and not a second later..

His lips were on mine.