Happy birthday, Joohyun

Birthday, not forgotten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi all, happy bday again to our Joohyun. May she have a wonderful birthday with all of the people who love her. This is a kid seulrene one somewhat angsty I guess? Where Joohyun doesn’t think anyone will remember it is her birthday since she is a quiet kid who keeps to herself for the most part, but well maybe some adorable teddy bear-like girl does know it’s her birthday and has a way to celebrate it together. So it’ll be cute still, enjoy.

 

Thank you to my sponsors of course. I appreciate you all very much :) fabricsoftener, AvryGeist171, crwight01,royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, Mavok,jasonds, Megankind, ZombieJuhyun, and Rita—1211. Thank you so much for being sponsors. ^^


 

It’s always tough being the new kid. Something 9-year-old Bae Joohyun has learned very well since moving from Daegu to Seoul months ago. The adjustment from the quiet and rural life of Daegu to the more fast paced and busy city of Seoul hasn’t been all that easy on Joohyun. She missed her friends back home and her life there. Her parents did their best to make the transition easier for their daughter but they knew overall it wasn’t easy.

 

“Hyun?” Mrs. Bae smiles warmly as she hands her daughter her lunch bag one morning. The little girl smiles back some too.

 

“I know it’s been hard living here and that you miss being back in Daegu with your friends.”

 

She does miss being back in Daegu where things were easier and made more sense. Joohyun knows and understands why her parents made the decision to move here. It was because of work opportunities and school chances for her as well. She does like her school because they do have good classes for performance arts. Joohyun really likes getting to dance in particular. But she can’t pretend she doesn’t miss her friends back home. Joohyun knows her parents are trying their best and so she tries her best too. If anything to not worry either of them any more than necessary.

 

“I do miss being back home but I’m getting used to it.”

 

“Things will get better, sweetie.”

 

Joohyun nods and hopes so. School really isn’t so bad. She just wishes she could make some friends. The kids aren’t really bad or anything but they’re all in their own groups which is to be expected since they’re been their way longer than she has. Joohyun likes her teachers as they’re nice and even the ones who are strict but fair are good teachers and she respects them and likes the way they teach are the good things about her school. School being one of the main reasons why her parents also moved to Seoul in the first place.

 

“I hope today I can make a friend.” Today could be her lucky day, no? She just could finally meet someone and have at least one friend that she is  comfortable with, right? Joohyun isn’t asking for a lot. She really would like someone to make friends with.


 

“Are you ready to go?” Her mother asks while reaching for one of her hands. Joohyun gives a nod that she is ready to go. The walk to school is animated and full of talking about her upcoming birthday. Her mother seems more excited than she is about the whole thing which in some ways amuses the little girl. It’s almost like it’s her mother’s birthday instead of hers or something.

 

“Think about it alright, Hyun?” Mrs. Bae says after she makes a suggestion to her daughter who gives a nod. Her mother isn’t suggesting anything wrong or bad. It would be a good idea if she had any friends in the class, or even at least one friend in the class. Still, Joohyun doesn’t want to say anything to make her mom feel bad so she says she will think about it.

 

“Okay, mama.”


 

They come up to her school soon enough and she walks her daughter inside. Kids wave to Joohyun which isn’t unusual. The kids in her class will greet her and she will normally greet them back. Joohyun remembers very much her first day of school where everyone did greet her and she had to say a little about herself. It didn’t really go anywhere much after that. Joohyun is a shy and quiet kid who stays to herself for the most part. This is not because she doesn’t want to talk and get to know others. She’s just not very good at making the first step with getting to know people. Joohyun says goodbye to her mom and puts her jacket, lunch bag, and book bag inside of of cubby and sits to a desk to herself much like normal. She expects today to go like it normally does until the teacher makes an announcement.

 

“Class, we have a new student today.”

 

Now Joohyun remembers all too well what it's like to be the new kid. It’s not all that great and it can be incredibly scary with everyone looking at you as you introduce yourself. For Joohyun she was particularly nervous about everyone possibly making fun of her accent because she’s not from Seoul. She understands how the new girl must be feeling and so she sympathizes with the her.

 

“Hi, my name is Kang Seulgi.” Joohyun looks up when she hears the voice of the new girl and wow is she possibly the cutest thing she has ever seen. She is dressed adorably in a bright orange shirt and denim shorts. But the thing that is truly so very cute is her face. The girl really looks like a teddy bear with her round shaped ears, monolid eyes that appear bright and warm, cute cheeks, and smile.

 

“Yeah, a teddy bear.” Joohyun thinks.

 

Seulgi doesn’t speak very long. She does appear to be looking for somewhere to sit. Joohyun remembers how she too once looked for somewhere to sit.

 

“I ended up sitting by myself.”

 

Joohyun feels something come over her. She is halfway wondering if she should offer for Seulgi to sit at the table. After all, she is alone at this table and there is no one else sitting there with her. The little monolid girl is scanning the room herself when her eyes land on what is probably the prettiest little girl she has ever seen in her entire nine years of life. She has these round chocolate colored eyes, cute face that kind of resembles a bunny, with dark hair in pigtails, and at the same time Seulgi thinks she kind of looks almost like a doll.

 

“Like a doll, yes.” Seulgi nods. “But why is she all by herself. Maybe she’s new too?” Seulgi wonders and then decides she will go and sit by the cute doll-like girl. Joohyun was looking down when she heard quiet footsteps approaching. She was half sure that it’s just someone walking to go somewhere else and is surprised when she sees a bright orange shirt first.

 

“Hi,” someone smiles. No, it’s not just anyone smiling. It’s the new girl Kang Seulgi and she’s standing in front of her with a warm smile and eyes disappearing into crescent shapes. Joohyun is momentarily stunned by the smile because it is the most adorable smile she has seen on another kid ever.

 

“Hi.” Joohyun says it so softly that Seulgi almost misses it.

 

“Hi, my name is Seulgi. Do you mind if I sit with you?”

 

Joohyun pauses because she really did consider asking Seulgi to sit with her. Joohyun nods Seulgi sits down across from her.

 

“Are you new too?” The monolid child wonders.

 

“No, I’m not new really.”

 

“Oh, but…” Seulgi decides not to ask because it’s really not her business anyway. It could come off a little rude since she is new here after all. Joohyun seems to get it and tells her that it’s alright.

 

“It’s okay. I know it looks odd to see someone by themselves, huh?”

 

Joohyun has no idea why she’s even talking this much to someone she’s just met. There is also something about the new girl that is making her feel comfortable and it’s not all about the fact she has a very warm smile. Plus, Joohyun knows what it’s like to be the new kid all alone.

 

“Well…” Seulgi stops. “You’re not alone now.”

 

Joohyun looks up at the same time Seulgi is looking at her and again the monolid child has a kind smile on her face. Seulgi has the kind of smile that makes Joohyun want to smile too.

 

“No, I’m not alone right now.”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Joohyun. Bae Joohyun.”

 

“Joohyun.” Seulgi repeats. “Hi, Bae Joohyun. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

This time Joohyun smiles and she thinks it’s the first time she has smiled since coming to school.

 

“It’s nice to meet you too Seulgi.”

 

They sit and talk for the whole time and it’s wonderful. Joohyun enjoys having someone to talk to when there was no one there before. Seulgi is actually asking about her and no one has ever asked about her for the entire time she’s been in this school.

 

“My favorite color is orange. What’s your favorite color, Joohyun?”

 

“Purple.” Joohyun answers immediately without hesitation. “Um, do you think you’re going to try any of the art classes?” She decides to ask since they do have different art classes here and they have been having a nice time so far.

 

“Yeah, I will.” Seulgi nods. “Are you in any?”

 

“The dancing classes. I like the dancing classes.”

 

“Really, I love dancing.”

 

Joohyun smiles some. She hoped earlier that she would make friend and it seems like it is finally happening. For the first time in a very long while Joohyun feels hopeful but there is a little part of her that is scared. What if this is too good to be true? What if right after Seulgi walks off and goes to some of the other kids for a while and forgets to come back? What if Joohyun loses her only potential friend? At one point the monolid child does get up to walk away and that makes Joohyun nervous.

 

“I knew it.”

 

But Seulgi returns shortly after with two worksheets. “Here, Joohyun.”

 

“What’s this?”

 

Seulgi chuckles in amusement. The teddy bear-like girl just knew Joohyun was zoning out when the teacher mentioned something about worksheets. It’s why she grabbed two for each of them.

 

“We’re supposed to be doing these. I got one for you.”

 

“Oh, thank you.” Joohyun thanks her. Seulgi didn’t leave her at that moment. The nice and sweet monolid child didn’t leave her at all. They stayed together the entire school day. Joohyun had someone to sit together with at lunch and she was excited for lunch for once. She had someone to share with and someone who wanted to share with her too.

 

“Would you like some of my cookies?” Seulgi had offered her. “My mother put in extra.”

 

“Sure, I have some extra strawberries. If you would like some, Seulgi.”

 

There was an extra nice feeling about sitting together and sharing parts of your lunch with someone else. Even if she had just met Seulgi there was this almost instant connection that Joohyun felt with the other little girl. She did want a friend but who would have thought it would have really happened. Joohyun didn’t even want for the school day to end because of all the fun she was having with Seulgi. But the school day was coming to an end as she did see her mom in sight.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Seulgi wondered as she saw the slight disappointment on Joohyun’s face.

 

“I am kind of sad that the day is over today because…” she stops for a moment to gather her thoughts. “No, you’ll think it’s silly.”

 

“No, I won’t.” The slightly taller of the two kids promises. “You call tell me, Joohyun.”

 

“I didn’t think I would meet a friend at all here, Seulgi. But today here you are and I’m sad since the day is over and we have to go home.”

 

The monolid child nods in understanding as she gets it. She too had the worry about coming to a completely new school and wondering if she would meet anyone at all. It is scary being the new kid after all. However, here she is with Bae Joohyun who has to be the sweetest most adorable girl she’s met in a very long time.

 

“I don’t think it’s silly at all, Joohyun. I’ll be back tomorrow, and you will be too, right?”

 

“I will.”

 

“Alright, we will see each other then.” Seulgi puts out her pinky and gestures to Joohyun who looks a little confused at first. She’s never pinky promised with someone before.

 

“A pinky promise is just a promise between friends. We’re friends now, right Bae Joohyun.” The monolid child smiles again with those warm eyes disappearing into those crescent shapes that really do make Joohyun want to smile too, and so she smiles back.

 

“Yes, we are friends. I’ll see you tomorrow, Seulgi. Bye.”

 

“Bye!”

 

Joohyun waves goodbye to what is her brand new and first friend here in Seoul as she walks over to her mother who greets her with a hug. Mrs. Bae can tell pretty much instantly that her daughter is clearly in much better spirits about something.

 

“Hi, sweetie. Did you have a good day?”

 

“Yes!” Joohyun nods eagerly as she reaches for her mother’s accepted hand. “Today was the best day in ever.”

 

Mrs. Bae chuckles warmly. She has been so worried about her daughter since she knows how hard of a time Joohyun has been having since the family moved here. Today is the first time she’s seen her daughter smile in a long time and that makes her both relieved and happy to see a smile. Mrs. Bae was honestly getting more concerned that she debated discussing the option of moving back to Daegu if only for Joohyun’s sake because she really was struggling. Hopefully, this day is a good sign of more things to come.

 

“Do you want to tell me why today was such a good day, Hyun?”

 

“I made a friend, mama. Today I made a friend and she was a new kid too, just like I was.”

 

“Oh, honey that sounds wonderful. I’m so happy you met someone at school today. Was it that cute little monolid girl I saw you talking with, hm?”

 

“Yes.” Joohyun nods several times. “Her name is Seulgi and she’s the nicest person.”

 

“I’m so glad, sweetie. I told you that things would start to get better, didn’t I.”

 

The little girl nods and gives her mother’s hand a small squeeze. Her mother did say that things would get better. Joohyun hadn’t been sure before but perhaps now that Seulgi has shown up and she has a friend. Maybe things will get better or at least Joohyun feels hopeful that they will be. She knows she will pack an extra snack in her lunch bag tomorrow to split with Seulgi since before she never had a reason to. She has a friend to share with and is finally excited about being at school. Well, she would have been except for when she gets there and doesn’t see familiar monolids right away. Could Seulgi have only been here for one day and got placed in another class altogether? No, that couldn’t be the case, right. Joohyun couldn’t have lost the only p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter