[ b ]

Broken Wings

he was just an average boy, but a very lonely one.

if it's not at the bus stop, jennie would always see him all alone under the huge camphor tree that stood right at the corner of the street.

he never did anything though.

he just sat down and calmly watched the sky as if his favorite movie is being played on a wide screen. on different days, he would throw some pebbles or scribble something down on his worn out notebook. sometimes, jennie would see him staring at an oddly looking feather that he is holding, well, everything about him is odd.

it was never her intention to secretly watch over him, it's just that he never fails to catch her attention.

he has always been quiet but his actions speak so much more. the little movements of his body; from the way his eyes glistens as he watch the blue sky turn into hues of gold and orange, the way he momentarily smiles whenever he writes something down on his journal, until the way he caress the stray cat that always sits beside him.

it's just every little thing of him that makes jennie want to know him more.

jennie have always wondered how he looks like up-close because she only watched him from afar. although there were a lot of times where she could have had the chance to say hello, but she was always a minute or a second late.

so, this time she made sure that she could finally win over her unfortunate chances.

jennie flattened out her skirt that crippled after she hurriedly ran from her house just to make it to the bus stop. as she was catching her breath, she checked the time and it's still 7:31am. he comes to this stop at exactly 7:33am, she was sure of it. she never knew the reason behind it but his keenness with time didn't surprise her either.

so it wouldn't seem like jennie was purposely waiting for him, she plugged in her earphones and played her music on shuffle. the first track that played was Don't Leave Me by JYP, it was her go-to jam so she couldn't help herself but to happily dance along with the beat.

it was such a good morning for her. although she got tired from all the quick bathing and running, jennie knows for sure that today is going to be a great day.

as she nodded her head with the beat while doing little hand dance moves that she learned while growing up, she suddenly heard muffled voices until her eyes met the situation that was happening right in front of her.

the driver lost count on how many times he has called the young lady who was busily dancing in the corner. he was on the last call when reality was quick to slap jennie and she finally remembered why she was early. she panicked as she checked the time.

7:35am. .

did she miss him again?

afraid that the bus might leave without her, she hurriedly went in despite the frustration of missing her effort-exerted chance. jennie was so abashed with how everyone in the bus looked at her that she ended up sitting on the first empty seat that she saw and hid her face with her hoodie.

stupid, she muttered to herself. she couldn't stop thinking about how ridiculous she must have looked while dancing lame hand gestures and how annoyed the people inside the bus were when she made them wait a little bit longer despite of their jam-packed schedules. but amidst all the embarrassment, she couldn't forgive herself on how she was being careless despite the fact that she came early for that purpose.

how could she miss this chance? she was already early and yet she let that chance just pass through just like how she perfectly dodged all the thrown balls in her p.e. class.

jennie pulled the strings of her hoodie as she lightly stomped her feet. she was frustrated, annoyed, and exasperated all at the same time. she doesn't even know why she wanted to know him. why she was so interested. why she was so intrigued.

what's with him anyway? 

he's nothing special - at least that's what she thought, but no matter how ordinary he was, she just couldn't help but be drawn to him.

jennie finally decided to lift her head up to check if it was her stop already. as she was familiarizing herself with the area outside, she suddenly felt something heavy drop on her shoulder.

carefully, she looked at her right and saw someone sound asleep. its hoodie was slowly falling as the bus slows down for a stop, and there she saw a face of a sleeping man that she thought she have missed.

it was him.