The 7th Anniversary

8th of April, 2019

The sun rose high in Seoul. The bright sunlight and humming of thrushes made the morning feel lighter. The weather is warm but not too hot. A plain morning for everyone, but not for them.


The loud ringing of the alarm clock surrounded the whole room. He opened his eye but closed it quickly because of too much brightness coming from the window. He looked into the bed side table to see what time it is.


6:00 a.m. 04.08.19. 


He smiled. It's their 7th Anniversary. EXO is now seven years old. Seven years being together. Seven years singing and dancing together. Seven years with fans. Seven years of memories. Seven years of hard work. It's all worth it.


As an early bloomer, he bet that he's the first one to greet. And he's right. He quickly typed a message into their group chat.


우민형: Happy 7th Anniversary to us!! 🎉

레이: Happy anniversary!! Enjoy this day~


Lay’s reply made him smile. How he wish the man could be with them today. They miss him a lot. And so, he sent a heart emoji. He got up and get ready. He still need to wake his other members up. Just by thinking how this day will go, the smile won’t leave his face.


Suho felt someone waking him up. It was Kyungsoo with a reserved smile plastered on his face. He sat on the bed, waiting for the latter to collect himself.


“Good morning, hyung. Happy anniversary to us.” Kyungsoo said. Suho grinned and gave Kyungsoo a small hug. “Good morning too and happy anniversary to us.” He replied. “Are the others already awake?” He asked.


“Yes, all of them except—” Kyungsoo wasn’t able to continue when Suho cut him off. “Jongin.” And they both chuckled. “As always, what do you expect?” Suho said while shaking his head. “I should’ve wake up earlier.” 


“No, it’s okay.” Kyungsoo smiled. “You always do everything for us. You deserve to rest after guiding us and taking care of us in a span of seven years. You survived these years with all the challenges you faced, we faced. You’re strong.” Kyungsoo said. He sounded so genuinely thankful. All of the guys. Suho is indeed a strong leader.


Hearing such a heart-felt message from Kyungsoo, Suho cried. He just feels so warm. He did not expect Kyungsoo to say it. He felt the gratefulness in Kyungsoo’s voice.


“Stop crying, you’re so ugly.” And that’s Kyungsoo we’re talking about. “I’m just happy your evil soul can say that.” Suho said, wiping his tears and he laughed. “But seriously, thank you.” They smiled.


The loud chatter welcomed them in the dining area. Minseok is just listening to the other with a smile on his face. Baekhyun is singing. Chanyeol and Jongdae are bickering again that Kyungsoo and Suho doesn’t know what is it. Jongin is there, staring into space. He’s awake. Sehun is laughing to Chanyeol and Jongdae’s bickering. The noise died when Kyungsoo let out an “EHEM.” All heads are suddenly directed to them just like in Power and Universe music videos. They all beamed and:


“Happy anniversary, hyung!!” Minseok is an exception. They went to their seats so they can start eating.


“Sehun, you always pray before sleeping, right?” Jongdae asked and Sehun nodded. All eyes on him. “Then, you start the prayer.” 


“Thank you for giving us this day. We are all happy that we survived these years. Thank you for bringing hyungs to me. I wish Lay hyung could be with us today, but he can’t so I’ll just give him to you. We’re thankful for the strength and power you gave us. Thank you for our lovely fans who are always there to support us. We admire their dedication for some people they don’t actually know, which is us. We will treasure all the memories we had and will have. Bless us more strength and talent. Grant us a prosperous year and good health. Please let the happiness stay within us. Thank you.” Sehun ended and gave his hyungs a smile.


“In the count of three, happy 7th anniversary to us.” Chanyeol started. “In one… two… three…” they all looked into each other, “Happy 7th Anniversary to us!!!”


They started eating and of course, stories won’t stop. They all laughed when Jongin suddenly said something.


“Sehun, we’re already together for seven years, or even more. You might want to call me ‘hyung’” Jongin said while munching his chicken. The guys chuckled. “Okay. Since it’s our anniversary, I’ll call you once Jongin, hyung.” Sehun said while laughing. What he said made the others stop eating. Today is a miracle. “And when is it?” Jongin asked. “My previous statement.” He laughed and Jongin pouted. 


“Alright kids. Stop eating and continue your food so we can finish—” The sudden opening of the door caused Minseok to stop what he’s going to say.


“Am I late??” And that is Lay. He came home!


Wide eyes and silence enveloped the room until Suho broke it. “Lay! You’re here!” He said, standing up to hug Lay. “Lay / hyung!!!” the guys said in chorus.


“You didn’t said you’re coming home.” Suho said while hugging Lay. He felt the latter laughing while hugging him back. The others joined as well. A group hug. 


“I wanted to surprise you guys that’s why I didn’t left a message. I could not miss our 7th anniversary. Well, it worked, right?” He continued when the hug broke. It’s nice to be back and it’s nice to be home again.


They went to eat together happily. Breakfast went to sharing stories, asking Lay his what and whereabouts, Lay asking them little things, congratulating each other’s success. Smiles and laughs are evident inside the room. Fans would cry to see such a heart-felt scene. What a lovely morning for these lovely angels.


After breakfast, the boys are chilling on the living room when Baekhyun suggested that they should do an instagram live for maybe couple of minutes to greet Eris. Chanyeol suggested that they should do it on their individual accounts but then Jongdae said that Eris will have a hard time choosing which member to watch so instead, they should do it on their group account. That saves Kyungsoo and him for not having an account, what a wise man.


They gathered in the sofa while Chanyeol’s in front, holding the phone. The live started with one fan until it grew into thousands. Comments went in so fast, greeting them and congratulating them. Each member, starting from the oldest, gave a message.


Minseok: Annyeonghaseyo Eris!! It’s our anniversary today that’s why we’re so happy and I hope you are too. Please enjoy this day and take care of yourselves. Saranghae~


Suho: Annyeong! The weather is so nice for a very special day. It’s our anniversary! It’s been seven years since we started performing. Thank you for always supporting us. We will work harder for all of you. Have a nice day! Saranghae~ *flying kiss*


Lay: Hello everyone! You missed me, right? I miss you too. I’m sorry for not always being with my brothers and I hope you understand. Still, I will continue performing for all of you. EXO and you, our fans, are my family. Happy anniversary to us! I love you all.


Baekhyun: Annyeonghaseyo uri Eris!! It’s our anniversary today!! I will forever be thankful to all of you. I just want you to know that appa is so proud to all of you~ Please keep on smiling. I want my Eris to be always happy. Please take care and thank you~ Saranghae!


Jongdae: Annyeonghaseyo EXO-L~ It’s been seven years. Time flies so fast with the memories of us carried by it. I will treasure all of them. Thank you also for supporting my album, April, and a Flower. It would not be successful without your help~ I promise to continue doing what I love. Enjoy this day and take care~ Saranghae!


Chanyeol: Annyeonghaseyooooo!!! Today is our seventh anniversary! Yey!! *clap hands* Thank you for always being there for us. Thank you for loving and supporting us. We wouldn’t be in this position if not because of you. We owe this to all of you. In return, EXO promise to give you more high quality music. Let’s share more memories in the future! Saranghae~


Kyungsoo: Annyeonghaseyo. It’s our anniversary today. I’m happy because we’re complete. It’s been a long time since Lay hyung last joined us. Thank you for supporting and loving us. We promise to continue giving you happiness and good music. Keep on supporting us. I love you all~


Jongin: Annyeonghaseyo yeoreobun! ㅂ3ㅂ Just like what hyungs said, it’s our anniversary today. We woke up early to have a breakfast until Lay hyung went in. We’re so surprised to see him and of course, happy. Thank you for listening to our music and supporting us. We owe you what are we right now. We will continue working very hard. Thank you! Saranghae~ *flying kiss*


Sehun: Annyeonghaseyo! I’m EXO’s maknae, Sehun. /Baekhyun: You don’t have to introduce yourself. *chuckles*/ But I want to. Anyway, it’s our 7th anniversary today. It’s been more than seven years with my hyungs and seven years with you all. I’m so happy that I’m a part of EXO because I got to share memories with you all. I’ll be forever thankful to my hyungs for everything and of course, to all of you as well. Let’s make new memories. Let’s be together forever! I love you all~


The live ended. The boys felt so contented. The fans are happy and so are they. 


“So what now?” Sehun asked. Laying upside down on the sofa. 


“Let’s go out for dinner.” Suho said. “Me, Chanyeol and Sehun are paying.” He continued.


“But why also us?!?” Chanyeol asked and Suho just shrugged. “Because I said so?” the others laughed.


“Hyung, don’t complain. It’s our anniversary after all. Look at me, I’m cool with it.” Sehun said, more likely lecturing his hyung Chanyeol just made a face.


“Okay, so dinner. Now what?” Jongdae asked.


“We can go on the arcade?” Baekhyun suggested with a sheepish smile on his face. “Nah.” Some of the guys said.


“Or maybe we can walk downtown, in Myeongdong or in Hongdae.” Lay suggested.


“That’s kinda risky.” Minseok said. “What I mean is, maybe we can find some Eris having a celebration. We can visit them.” Lay continued.


“That’s nice. Us, celebrating this day together with our fans, literally.” Suho smiled. All of them smiled at the thought. “Okay then. Let’s get ready. We’re using mine and Chanyeol’s car.”


The guys immediately prepared. Of course, they can’t forget to wear a disguise. They can’t risk having a commotion in the streets.


On Chanyeol’s car, there’s him in the driver’s seat. Baekhyun in the passenger seat. Sehun and Jongin at the back seat. Meanwhile, on Suho’s car, there’s him in the driver’s seat. Lay on the passenger seat. Jongdae, Minseok and Kyungsoo in the back seat.


The ones leading is Suho, followed by Chanyeol’s car. Their wandering slowly.


“One of us should have gone with them.” Minseok said, worried.


“They’re going to be fine.” Jongdae said.


“Minseok’s right. Baekhyun’s the oldest, but you know him. All of them are kids.” Suho said.


“At least, there’s Sehun.” Lay said. “But he can be naughty sometimes.” He continued.


The hyungs are having a crisis while the people on the other car are having their own little club. Loud music is blasting off the speaker, and there’s Jongin whining.


“Hyung lower down the volume! I wanna sleep!” Jongin whined, pouting.


“Nini, just sleep later and have some fun!!” Baekhyun shouted.


The boys were so much having fun leaving their hyungs stressed. If only the people in the other car knows what’s happening, they might faint.


Reaching the destination, the boys parked their cars and went down to walk. Upon arriving at the streets of Myeongdong, all eyes darted at them. They have to be careful or else, they’ll be in trouble. 


Looking around, they saw some banners and signage about their 7th anniversary. They can’t help but to smile. How can people give big amount of effort and spend something so expensive for someone not personally related to them?


Bringing out his camera, Chanyeol snapped a photo. Baekhyun asked Kyungsoo to take him a photo together with the banners secretly so it won’t be suspicious for the eyes of everyone.


Passing by a café, they saw some Eris celebrating. How did they know? They saw them waving their Eri Bongs. Cute.


They looked into each other and smiled. It’s now or never.


They entered the café quietly. It seems like it’s exclusive only for the event today since the sign on the door was “closed.”


One fan noticed their presence and frowned. They felt panic running through their system. Soon enough, the frown turned into a very surprise expression.


“EXO is here!!” she screamed while pointing at them. Getting the attention, the others followed her gaze. The guys are dumbfounded. They knew it will turn this way but they didn’t expect it to be this soon.


Gasps can be heard around the room. It was silent until Suho broke it. He removed his glasses and face mask. He smiled, looking to the others and nodding at them.


“Uh—We are one! Annyeonghaseyo, EXO imnida!” they said and cheers can be heard. Some are still shocked, some are crying and some are just looking at them lovingly. It felt warm.


A fan, must be the head organizer of the event, gathered enough chairs for them in front.


They’re now sitting in front and it’s kinda awkward. It's so silent. Everyone was waiting for each other's move. The fan’s fidgeting beside them. Baekhyun seemed to notice it.


“Annyeong Eri-ya!!!!” he said while waving. The crowd broke into loud cheers again.


“Are you surprised to see us suddenly in here?” he asked. “Ne!!!” the fans said and chorus. He smiled.


“We’re glad that you’re surprised because if not, then our plan will be failed. I’m hope your happy to see us here!” Chanyeol said. They broke into laughter when someone said “Of course Chanyeol-ah!”


“We want to celebrate this day with you all that’s why we’re here.” Suho said. “You can continue what you’re doing.”


The event went smoothly. The boys participated in the games. Chanyeol cut the cake. They danced to Love Shot. They sang ‘Wait’. And gave messages.


The day was perfect. Everyone was happy and contented. They left the café when the sky turned dark and the fans expressed their gratitude.


“It’s nice we did this.” Kai said while going to the parking lot.


“Yeah. Maybe we can do this again next year.” Sehun said and the others nodded.


Suho texted Sehun, who’s in the other car, the destination for their dinner.


It was a fancy restaurant. As expected from the rich man. Turns out the whole room in the second floor was booked for them. They gathered around and went to their seats. They started ordering the foods. 


The others noticed Suho, who seems to be lost in his thoughts.


“Hyung, are you okay?” Baekhyun asked. Suho looked up to them, seeing their worried faces.


“Yes.” He said, nodding. “But, you’re so quiet. Is there anything bothering you?” Minseok asked.


“Nothing. It’s just that, I’m thinking all the things that happened today. It’s so fun, I had so much fun. If you saw the smiles and faces of our fans earlier, it’s so heart-warming. I’m glad that we’re able to have fun together with them in this special day.” He said. The other smiled, agreeing. “It’s been a long time since we started being together. The others left but we survived. I wish for their happiness and success too. We faced a lot of challenges but we are able to overcome it because we’re together, and our fans with their never-ending love and support. I’m just so happy.” He said, in the verge of crying.


“Hyung.” Kyungsoo said, who’s sitting beside them. “You’re oddly emotional today…” he said, everyone laughed. “But, it’s okay. We understand.” He said, patting Suho’s shoulder.


“Actually,” Suho started. Everyone looked at him with anticipation. “I’m starting to get tired of your faces.” He said and he laughed, but no one’s laughing together with him. The guys know that it's not true but they can have some fun.


He stopped and faked a cough. “What?! It’s funny!” he said and the guys snickered. He pouted. 


He suddenly felt warmth engulfing him. They were hugging him. A group hug.


“I love you, hyung.” Jongin said. “I love you, Baekhyun-ah!” Chanyeol exclaimed. “I love you, Minseok hyung!”Jongdae said.


“I love you all.” Lay said and all of them laughed.


Not so soon enough, the foods went in and they started eating.


“For EXO’s 7th Anniversary, cheers!”


“Cheers!”