Fire

Muse

December 31, 2018

Cheng Xiao’s POV

“Let’s welcome Yibo with his song Fire.” The emcee announced and the fans cheered loudly.

I’m standing at the extended stage waiting for the music to start. I’m gonna be Yibo’s muse for his new song. Although I was a bit sad because my solo performance for this event was cancelled, I can’t do anything about it but being able to perform even as a muse makes up to it. At least I can still dance on the stage.

This year, Yibo and I have been together for a couple of schedules from Day Day Up, Happy Together and Happy Graduation Concert. It seems like the company is bundling us together and as an artist I don’t have a choice but to follow what the management wants. At least, Yibo and I are friends because we trained together in Korea before and be paired with him is okay than being paired with others that I don’t know. 

The music started to play and I started to dance but I realized something “Why are there no lights in my area?” I asked in my head. I wanted to stop performing and ask what was wrong but I realized that it was a live broadcast and they didn’t say anything so I continued performing.  “Just keep dancing Xiaoxiao. The show must go on.” I told myself.

When Yibo came to my area, the lights went on. “So it isn’t a technical error.” I concluded and it made me upset because I was dancing so hard and people weren’t able to see it because it was dark. “It’s okay. The show must go on. Do your best Xiaoxiao.” I cheered myself up mentally so that my emotions won’t affect my performance.

“Now you’re mine, you and I, we should be heading away.” Yibo sang the second part of the song and I made eye contact with him. I want to give the best performance and I acted I like I was seducing him. “Put aside your feelings. Focus.” I told myself so that I won’t feel shy then maintained the eye contact with Yibo.

 

“Yibo’s professional as well.” I thought because during the rehearsals, we were not looking at each other. As friends, we told each other that we need to act carefully because we don’t want our fans to get angry so we limit our interactions in public.

“So you wanna play with fire. And you gotta watch out before you get burned.” Yibo sang the pre-chorus and we faced each other, looking eye to eye then he reached to caress my face. “Calm your heart Xiaoxiao. You don’t want them to know it.”  I warned myself in my head. I managed to maintain my composure and danced well.

We continued dancing and I forgot some steps but I made some adlibs so it won’t be that noticeable.  The end part came and this part got me nervous because it involves some skinship and I know that my heart will flutter hard. Yes, it will flutter because I like him. After being with him through many different schedules, I fell in love with him. He is kind and considerate off cam and he makes sure that I’m comfortable with him. Although it seems that we are not close on cam, we are close and comfortable off cam. During my schedules in China, he always guides me if we are together and I’m so thankful for his help. Promoting alone in China and being unfamiliar with the workplace, he helped me adjust since he’s been working in China for a while.

“Cheng Xiao, you’ve been waiting for this part. Don’t screw up.” I mentally reminded myself. He grabbed my hand and we ran together to the main stage. We faced each other and looked eye to eye. “He’s staring at me intensely. My knees are getting weak.” I thought. Then, he touched my chin. “This is it.” I told myself and I can feel my heart pounding so hard. I looked at the camera, gave a smirk and we jumped at the hole.

 

“Are you okay?” Yibo offered his hands and he helped me stand. “Yes I’m okay. Thank you.” I told him. But deep inside, my heart was fluttering because he held my hands when he helped me.

After the performance, we went back to the dressing room. The dance happened too fast but I’m happy that at least I was able to dance with him and the last part made my heart happy. But I’m still a bit disappointed with myself because I made some mistakes.

“You know how important this stage is to Yibo and I can’t believe you ruined it Cheng Xiao.” I mentally chastised myself. I can’t help but to feel sad after the performance and I became teary-eyed. “Don’t cry. Don’t cry. Don’t let others see you cry.” I repeatedly told myself because we are in the dressing room.

 

Yibo’s POV

“Let’s welcome Yibo with his song Fire.” The emcee announced and the fans cheered loudly.

I can feel my heart pounding so hard. The venue got dark and I’m looking forward in performing my new song “Fire” because this is the first time I’m erforming a solo song of my own. My company made me perform this song with Cheng Xiao as my muse.

This year, Cheng Xiao and I have been together for a couple of schedules. I’ve been paired with other girls like Zhou Qieqiong, Guan Xiaotong and Song Zuer but I’m more comfortable to be paired with her because we are friends. I knew her because we trained together in Korea and after being with her in different schedules, we became friends.    

I am standing in the main stage and Cheng Xiao is standing at the extended stage. The music started to play and I started dancing and singing. However, after a while, I noticed something “Why is Cheng Xiao’s area dark? Is there a technical difficulty?” I asked myself.

I saw that Cheng Xiao was still dancing and I was bothered but I continued performing because they didn’t say the there was something wrong. I can see Cheng Xiao’s professionalism because although there were no lights, she was still giving her best.

After I arrived to Cheng Xiao’s area, the lights and we continued dancing.

“Now you’re mine, you and I, we should be heading away.” I sang the second part of the song and I tried to be as professional as possible and made eye contact with her. I acted like I was singing for her and that she really is my muse. And she was also professional because she was maintaining eye contact with me, acting like she was seducing me.

“I’m glad that right now, she is acting well.” I thought to myself because during the rehearsals, we didn’t even look at each other. Although we are friends, we don’t want others to misunderstand us and we need to be cautious in case others might see it and the fans will hate it. Giving enough space is important to avoid issues.

“So you wanna play with fire. And you gotta watch out before you get burned.” I sang the pre-chorus and we faced each other, looking eye to eye then I reached to caress her face. “Yibo, maintain eye contact. She’s looking at you and you should reciprocate it.” I told myself. I was glad that she was also looking at me and that she wasn’t drawing her gaze on me. “I always wanted to look at her eyes.” I told myself.

 

We continued dancing and the end part came. This part is the most explosive part because it will involves skinship. A lot of people know that I’m don’t easily open up to people and it takes a while for me to become friends with someone. Cheng Xiao wasn’t annoying and she didn’t push me to become talkative. She just accepted me and matched my pace until I was ready to open up and we became friends. I like her. I fell in love because she is hardworking and strong. She never complains even though her schedule is hard and she never gives up. It makes me want to take care of her.

“Yibo, calm down. You’ve been waiting for this moment. You really wanted to do this before and now you’re gonna do it. Do it well.” I mentally inspired myself. Yes, I’ve been waiting for this moment. I wanted to caress her face and look her in the eyes. I grabbed her hand and we ran together back to the main stage. We faced each other and looked into each other’s eyes. “God, she has such beautiful eyes.” I told myself. Then I touched her chin. “You’re finally doing it.” I told myself. I can feel my heart pounding so hard. I looked at the camera, gave a smirk and we jumped at the hole.

 

“Are you okay?” I asked Cheng Xiao and I offered my hands to help her stand up. She took it and I was happy because we held hands. “Yes I’m okay. Thank you.” She replied with a smile.

After the performance, we went back to the dressing room. I was happy because the stage that I’ve been preparing for so hard is finished and it was successful and I get to perform with Cheng Xiao. I was smiling from ear to ear and I noticed that Cheng Xiao was quiet in a corner.

“Hey. Are you okay?” I asked because this isn’t like her. “Yes. I am. Why? “She looked at me and replied with a smile but I saw her eyes were getting teary. I didn’t know what came into my mind and I hugged her. I wasn’t able to think rationally and I acted based on my instincts. I can tell that she was shocked but after a while, tears flowed down her eyes and she said “I’m sorry” then she hugged me back. I was stunned and I asked her “What for?”

“I ruined your stage. I forgot some steps. I’m so sorry” She replied and tears keep flowing down her face. My heart hurt because she was crying so I replied “Don’t say that. You didn’t ruin it. I didn’t notice that you forgot some steps.” Assuring her that she did nothing wrong.

Cheng Xiao’s POV

“Hey. Are you okay?” I was sitting at the corner, preventing myself from crying when Yibo approached me.

“Damn. Why did you ask me? Cheng Xiao control your tears. Don’t cry.” I mentally said to myself

“Yes. I am. Why? “I looked at him and replied then I tried to smile. I guess I wasn’t a good actress because after that, Yibo hugged me.

“Wait. Why did he hug me?” I asked myself. I was taken aback because it didn’t know how to react but after a while, I became emotional and tears flowed down my eyes

“I’m sorry” I said then I hugged him back. I was so sorry because the stage wasn’t perfect. I can tell that the he was stunned and he asked “What for?” “I ruined your stage. I forgot some steps. I’m so sorry” I replied and tears keep flowing down my face. I hate being emotional but I was so sorry because the performance was not perfect because of me and this stage was very important for Yibo.

“Don’t say that. You didn’t ruin it. I didn’t notice that you forgot some steps.” He consoled me but it didn’t make me feel better. “I forgot some steps. I’m so sorry I ruined your performance. I’m sorry that the stage isn’t perfect. You should’ve dance with someone better.” I rambled because I’m so disappointed and ashamed of myself.

Then, Yibo grabbed my shoulders, forced me to look at him and said “Stop saying that. I’m happy for the outcome of the performance. For me, the stage was perfect and I wouldn’t ask anyone to replace you as my muse. You were perfect.” After hearing that, my heart fluttered and it made me feel happy. I stopped crying. “You are my one and only muse.” He said.

“Really?” I asked because I was touched when he said that. “Really. So stop crying.” He said with a comforting look.

At that moment, I knew that I fell deeper in love with him.