1/1

It Was Always Him

Jimin's POV

To me, it's always been clear. I could only be with him. No one else. Even if he went to other people, I could only be his. It was the only way I could live or at least feel alive. It hurt a lot to know that it wasn't mutual but what could I do? We shared everything together, we had no secrets. I did feel guilty to hide this from him but I had no choice. I was the first person he came out to when he realised he was biual. I helped him get with his crush, Taehyung, who happened to be our best friend. They were still together three years later and I was still miserable and helplessly in love with Jungkook. Of course, I had tried to get over him by going on dates or just by flirting with other boys, in vain. He had my whole heart and every time I tried to get him out of my head (and heart), I felt guilty.

We've been friends since our childhood with Jungkook. We met in primary school and quickly became friends. The two years between us never was a problem. When I entered high school was the roughest time ever. We almost stopped being friends because I was so busy that we almost didn't hang out anymore. We only messaged each other instead of meeting which was weird for the both of us. At some point, Jungkook grew tired of only sharing messages and began to hang out with other people. That's in fact how he met Taehyung. The latter was the one who made us 'reconcile' if I can say. Now, it's like nothing ever happened. I'm out of university, just like Tae whereas Jungkook is still in last year of college. Now that I think about it, one single thing did change. Our BFF nights include Taehyung. Another thing I can't do with Jungkook only anymore. In fact, we never meet just the two of us anymore. Taehyung is always there. I'm not mad, I love Tae but I'd like to spend some alone time with Jungkook only. I was the first one to meet him, I was the first one to love him. Damn, I sound like a whiny and selfish baby. I can't help but be jealous of Tae. He has the boy I've been in love with for years, how could I not be jealous?

"Jimin? Jimin are you ready?" Jin hyung asked, knocking on the bathroom's door.

"Yeah, I'm coming." I said, quickly leaving the bathroom.

We were all supposed to meet today since it was a Saturday evening. Jin hyung offered to give me a ride to the movie theatre instead of going with the bus. Soon enough, we were in his car, along with Namjoon hyung, talking about this and that.

When we arrived, we saw that Hoseok hyung and Jungkook had already arrived.

"Where is Tae?" Jin asked Jungkook.

"He told me he was sick and couldn't come tonight." Jungkook said, as he waved hello to me.

"And Yoongi hyung?" I asked, waving back.

"He must have forgotten so he most likely is sleeping right now." Hoseok replied, chuckling.

"Well, what were we going to watch again?" Namjoon asked as we walked to buy our tickets.

"We agreed to watch Venom, right?" Jin stated.

"Yep. I heard it was really funny." Jungkook said, coming to my side and grabbing my arm. "Will you be okay Jiminie? It might be scary." Jungkook asked me.

I tried to ignore the fire that his touch ignited inside me and replied.

"I think Hoseok hyung will be more afraid than me." I said, giggling.

"I won't! But if I do –which I won't– it will all be your fault since you all know very well that I can't watch scary things." Hoseok stated, making all of us laugh.

When we entered the theatre, Jungkook sat next to me so that we could “share the popcorn”. It wasn't unusual for him to sit beside me but Taehyung was always the one he would talk to or share the popcorn with. I acted as if it was normal and that's how the movie was spent watching. Hoseok jumping every now and then, as expected, and soon we were out of the theatre.

"Do you guys wanna have some drinks at mine?" Namjoon asked us as we were standing in front of Jin's car.

"I'm a bit tired so I'll just go home I guess. Can you just drop me please?" I asked Jin hyung.

"Of course." Jin answered.

"I could drop you hyung since I came with my car. If you don't mind, of course." Jungkook said and I nodded. That was weird. Jungkook was always up for some drinks at Namjoon hyung's place. He was really acting weird.

"Okay, then. We'll see you tomorrow, I guess. Good evening guys." Namjoon said and they all got in Jin's car and drove away.

"Come on hyung, my car is this way." Jungkook stated, leading the way to his car.

We got in and Jungkook started the engine.

"Are you okay Jungkookie?" I asked. He was really weird.

"I am. But something happened, I'll tell you when we'll arrive." Jungkook said, smiling warmly at me before turning some music on.

When we arrived, Jungkook followed behind me, apparently deep in thoughts. We entered and greeted my mom before going to my room. I sat on my bed and he lied down.

"Is it that serious?" I asked and he tapped the spot on his side. When we were little, we used to lie down to tell each other very important things. On the ceiling there was a photograph of us holding hands on the day we decided to become best friends forever. The last time we had lied down was when Jungkook told me that he had a crush on Taehyung and was going to confess.

"Does it have something to do with Taehyung?" I asked again as I lied down beside him.

"Yes." Jungkook almost whispered.

"Okay." I said, taking his hand. "When you're ready." I stated and he took a deep breath.

"I broke up with Tae." He stated and my heart stopped.

"Wh-what? Why?" I asked. I knew it was bad to think like this but I was happy that they had broken up.

"We were supposed to meet in front of the theatre but I wanted to surprise him and pick him up before fetching Hoseok hyung. When I arrived, I rang the bell but no one came to open the door. I knew he was home since the light was on in the living room. I rang the bell multiple times but he never opened the door. I decided to knock on the living room's window but before I could, I saw him sitting on his couch with Yoongi hyung... kissing." Jungkook told me and immediately my blood began to boil.

"Seriously? How could he after three years of relationship!" I exclaimed, angry. Jungkook lightly squeezed my hand.

"It's okay. I was more surprised of my reaction than to see that he had cheated on me. I was kinda suspecting them to be honest." He stated, his grip tightening around my hand, making me tense up a little.

"Your reaction? What do you mean?" I asked, confused but also trying to not tighten my hold on his hand back.

"I was supposed to feel hurt or betrayed, right? Feel angry, sad or maybe jealous, right?" He asked, staring at the ceiling.

"I guess so... But why are you asking me, Jungkookie?"

"Tell me, Jiminie. How would you feel if you found out that your boyfriend of three years cheated on you with his best friend?" He asked, letting go of my hand. I suddenly felt cold without his touch and I shivered at the sensation.

"I think I’d feel betrayed and angry. Maybe sad even because I'd ask myself why he would go to someone else when I'm here for him." I answered, remembering one of my past relationships.

"Yes! That would be a normal reaction! But I didn't feel like that at all!" He exclaimed, his voice cracking at the end. I looked at him, expecting to see tears streaming down his face but he wasn't crying, which confused me even more.

"Then what did you feel?"

"I felt relieved. I felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't feel happy but it was like I had been underwater for ages and suddenly I was able to breathe." He explained.

"Like you've finally gotten out of the water?" I asked, trying to understand everything.

"Strangely, no. In fact, it was as if I was able to breathe in the water. Like a fish."

"I don't get it Jungk-"

"I haven't finished hyung." He said, cutting me. "After that, I just went away, sending Taehyung a text to tell him I'm breaking up with him and to not come tonight. I went to fetch Hoseokie hyung and acted as if nothing had happened. We talked about this and that waiting for you guys. But when I saw you, I felt like something clicked in my head." He explained and, finally, turned to look at me.

"Everything seemed to add up, all of a sudden. Why you looked so sad every time I told you about a crush of mine, when I told you how I felt about Tae, how you began to slowly drift away from me when it had been one year since I've been with Tae. I was always thinking about you, even when I was with Tae. Our conversations were always about you and when I saw him tonight, I understood why he went to Yoongi hyung. He's his best friend, he has always been and it felt right to see them together. I thought about us. You and I. How we'd look like together, how I'd feel to be with you. It didn't feel strange at all, it felt just right to imagine me being your boyfriend. I loved the picture. It was all I thought about during the movie and even though it's quite late, I realised that I love you. Not Tae or Yugyeom but you, hyung. I've fallen for you."

When he finally finished speaking, I didn't know what to say. I tried processing every single word he had uttered but I couldn't.

"I-I don't... what?"

"I know it's sudden but I love you Jiminie." Jungkook repeated.

"No. No. You don't- You can't. D-Don't make jokes like th-that Jungkook. Please." I said, choking as I began to cry. I felt so embarrassed and humiliated, I turned my back to Jungkook. However, he made me face him and we sat up. I covered my face with my hands, I was a crying mess.

"Jimin. Jiminie, look at me." He said and I shook my head. "My sweet Jiminie, look at me please. It's just me, Kookie. You're safe with me." He softly said, retreating my hands from my face.

"Kookie, it-it hurts so much... why are you do-doing this?" I asked, trying to calm down.

"I'm sorry. I know I hurt you in the past but I want to be your happiness now. Please, let me love you." He stated, caressing my hands as he talked.

"I love you Jungkook. I really do. You mean so much to me and I don't want to risk our friendship like this. We've been friends since forever and I couldn't afford to lose you if it doesn't work out." I admitted.

"But it will work out Jimin!"

"You don't know! We could get into a big fight and break up, you could fall for Tae again or you could fall for anyone else! The only thing I know is that I will always love you."

"I know you're scared. But we made it work for 20 years! I'm 24 now, I'm soon going to graduate and you've been working for two years in that amazing dance studio. We know each other the best and I know that even if we get into a big fight, we will be able to overcome it. It wouldn't be the first time it happened and it won't be the last. But I can't be truly happy if I'm not with you, I'm sure of it. I know my feelings and I love you, hyung."

I squeezed his hands, looking at him. He looked so young and beautiful. He smiled and I hugged him. He tightly hugged me back for some moments before breaking the embrace and kissing me. It felt so right to kiss him. I had imagined this moment a million times but nothing could compare to the real thing. I felt complete kissing Jungkook, he was able to make all my worries disappear. We kissed for what felt like hours and the next thing I knew was that we were cuddling in my bed.

"It feels so right to have you in my arms." Jungkook said.

"I love being in your arms." I replied.

"I love you, Jiminie."

"I love you more, Kookie."


Author's Note :

I hope you enjoyed this short story and that you'll be kind enough to leave comments !! I love you ♥ A BIG thank you to Jikookisl0v3, my sweet friend and the cutest human being on earth for finding the title ! ^-^