with the right person

flower girl cafe

Chaeyoung may not be a player, but she certainly had her fair share of relationships. And out of all of them, the smoothest sailing relationship she had is the current one with Mina. It’s been about 6 months, but they have never fought even once. Mina is also a very low maintenance girlfriend, never requesting for anything; her time, money, attention, nothing. Their relationship seems so perfect, but why does she feel like there’s still something missing?

 

“Cheers!” They clink their glasses together, taking a sip of their drinks. The School Meal Club, that’s what they call themselves. The three of them are a really weird combo from different school years and nationalities, but had stuck together after being in the archery team in high school.

 

It’s around 9pm when Tzuyu’s phone rings. She greets the person on the phone, smiling as she fiddles with the napkin in front of her. “Have you finished your practice? ... Do you want me to pick you up? … Okay, stay safe, I will see you later.”

 

She hangs up, and the two older girls immediately moves their eyebrows teasingly at her. Who knew the stoic maknae would be so affectionate with her girlfriend? Tzuyu just ignores them, taking a sip of her beer. She holds up her half-filled cup. “This is my last, I’m meeting Elkie later.”

 

“Oh come out, it’s been so long since we came out!” Dahyun whines at how Tzuyu is prioritizing her girl over her bros. Chaeyoung also chimes in, “Yeah, not cool man!”

 

“I haven’t seen my girlfriend in two weeks, so pardon me if I just really want to see her.” Tzuyu deadpans, not falling for her friends’ guilt trip. They haven’t met for two weeks because they are both busy with studying for finals, but now that finals are over, she just wants to go to her girlfriend’s apartment and cuddle her to sleep.

 

“We haven’t seen each other in months, Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung counters back. The nerve of this girl, who was there for her before she had a girlfriend?! Heartless, ungrateful fellow.

 

“I’m sorry, who are you guys?” Tzuyu lifts an eyebrow.

 

Dahyun gasps. “Chou Tzuyu, how can you be so rude to your comrades who helped you win a silver medal in high school?!”

 

“Yeah about that… I would have probably won gold without you guys.” Tzuyu rests her head against her palms with a bored expression. The two are speechless at the fact bomb from Tzuyu, unable to refute it, but thankfully they are saved by Dahyun’s ringing phone.

 

Dahyun clears , not forgetting to glare at Tzuyu as she answers her phone. “Hello?”

 

Her gaze immediately softens as the caller speaks. “I’m out with Chaeng and Tzu, why? … Aww, do you miss me?” Dahyun says in an overly sweet voice, and the other two almost pukes at her voice. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out it’s probably Dahyun’s girlfriend, Gahyeon.

 

While Dahyun exchanges sweet words with her girlfriend on the phone, Tzuyu is smiling at her phone like an idiot, probably texting Elkie too. Chaeyoung just smiles sadly, pressing the home button of her phone. It lights up, and there are a few notifications from her group chats, but none from the one person she is waiting for.

 

“Okay, I will be back soon, do you want me to get anything? … Okay, I love you too.” Dahyun sends a kiss over the phone before hanging up, and she gives a smitten smile at her two friends. “Sorry buddies, the bae just summoned me, guess we have to call it a night earlier than expected.”

 

“Great!” Tzuyu sounds the most excited she has been the whole night, downing the rest of her drink and grabbing her coat at the back of her chair.

 

Chaeyoung downs her own beer quietly too, but they must have noticed the change in her mood as Dahyun slips an arm around her once they get out of the booth.

 

“Give it a bit more time and I bet Mina-unnie will be chewing your ear off about everything and anything soon.” Dahyun says jokingly.

 

“Yeah, and you will miss times like this where nobody nags at you.” Tzuyu adds on as they head to the cashier together.

 

Chaeyoung just shakes her head with a small smile. That’s true, the grass is always greener on the other side. She must be crazy, why is she feeling sad that her girlfriend is exceptionally understanding? She should be thankful that she has gotten such an understanding and kind girlfriend who doesn’t overstep her boundaries and personal time.

 

--

 

The clock on the wall reads a little past 10PM, and Mina frowns. It’s getting late, but Chaeyoung is still not back yet. She unlocks her phone, about to call her girlfriend when a memory from the past hits her.

 

(“Hey, are you coming back soon?”

 

“No, I’m going to the club with my friends, I won’t be back so early. You can go to bed first.”

 

“The club? You know I don’t like you going to those places...”

 

“And I don’t like you calling me when I go out with my friends too, but you still do it anyway, don’t you? You are my girlfriend, not my mom. Stop being so controlling.”)

 

Mina puts her phone down, the urge to call Chaeyoung all gone. She doesn’t want to lose Chaeyoung too.

 

--

 

When Chaeyoung gets back, the lights are turned off, but there is still light from the TV. She enters the house, and sees Mina lying on the couch, sound asleep. She frowns, walking towards her girlfriend, shaking her slightly. “Minari…”

 

Mina stirs awake, blinking her eyes before smiling once she sees her girlfriend in front of her. “You are back.”

 

“Why are you sleeping on the sofa, it’s bad for your back.” Chaeyoung chides, pulling Mina to sit up and fixing her hair that has gotten messy while she slept.

 

“I fell asleep waiting for you.” Mina snuggles against Chaeyoung, arms going round the latter’s waist and soaking in the warmth of her girlfriend.

 

“You could have just given me a call.” Chaeyoung loves cuddly Mina, and she can’t help the smile growing on her face as she runs her fingers through the latter's dark locks.

 

“You were with your friends, I didn’t want to be a bother.” Mina mumbles into Chaeyoung’s shirt.

 

“Nonsense. You will never be a bother.”  Chaeyoung wraps Mina’s arms around her neck and her legs around her waist so that Mina is koala-hugging her. She heaves and carries Mina up, “Come on, let’s get you to bed.”

 

--

 

“Who is that?” Mina asks as she places a plate of strawberries on the table, holding one to Chaeyoung’s mouth as she leans into her girlfriend, watching her text on her phone.

 

“Yerim.” Chaeyoung tells her without thinking, chewing loudly.

 

“Oh.” Mina says disappointedly, pulling away from Chaeyoung.

 

It’s only then that Chaeyoung realizes what she did, immediately turning to Mina. She had gone out with Kim Yerim a few times, but things didn’t work out because they realized they are better off as friends. But they had history, and Mina knows this. “It’s not what you think! I’m just texting her because of our project.”

 

(“Can you not text your ex please? I don’t like it.” Mina asks timidly.

 

“Oh, now you are going to control who I text too? I need her help for something, can you not be so sensitive?” He scoffs.)

 

It’s okay, I don’t mind.” Mina forces a smile on her face, hoping that Chaeyoung cannot tell. She doesn’t want to make a fuss, doesn’t want to be seen as overbearing or controlling anymore. “I’m really fine with it, just text her. You have to do your project.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles, pulling Mina into a hug and peppering her with kisses. If it was someone else, she would have thrown a fit and they would have fought already, but Mina is so understanding like always.

 

“You are the best,” She tells Mina before going back to her phone, missing the way her girlfriend’s face falls immediately when she turns away.

 

--

 

It’s so annoying how good Chaeyoung looks while hard at work, how good she looks in the café’s blue button up shirt, how cute she looks as she smiles at the customers who are collecting their drinks. But the most annoying thing definitely is the other customers in the café, all gawking blatantly at the barista as she makes their drinks.

 

Mina watches as one of the customers approaches Chaeyoung at the counter for her drink, and leans inappropriately close just to collect her drink. She slides her receipt to Chaeyoung with a wink, and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that her handphone number is on the piece of paper. Chaeyoung waits until the customer turns her back to her before dumping the receipt into the bin without even taking a second look at it. That doesn’t deter the customers, in fact it encourages them even more as they all want to be the one whose number will finally be accepted by the barista. But what they don’t know is if Son Chaeyoung wants your number, she would have asked. (Mina knows this from first-hand experience, after all.)

 

There is a sudden burst of squeals, and Mina turns to see Chaeyoung exiting the counter with a rag and a huge tub in her hands. The barista is on duty to collect the plates and cups and clean the tables, but she has a hard time actually making it to the tables, all the customers coming up to her to return the plates and cups by themselves, stopping her for a photo. Mina is livid at how the other customers are swooning over her girlfriend, wants to stomp up there and scream at them, tell them that that’s her girlfriend they are drooling over, but all she does is sit here like a coward. She doesn’t want to make a big fuss because of jealousy, she doesn’t want to fight with and lose her lover because of her stupid jealousy again. Not this time.

 

“Hi Miss, I see that you have not touched your cake at all, is it not up to standard?” Chaeyoung asks politely as if she’s talking to a regular customer, but the teasing smile on her face gives her away.

 

Mina smiles, deciding to play along. “No, my drink is just so good that I could only focus on it and forgotten all about the cake.”

 

“Glad to see that you like our special brew, ‘Minaricano’.” Chaeyoung grins like she wasn’t the one who made the drink for her (and even named it after her). “What do you want to eat for dinner? I knock off in about 10 minutes.”

 

“How about sushi?” Mina asks, playing with the fork on her plate.

 

Chaeyoung doesn’t get to reply because another customer approaches for a photo, and the barista turns to look at Mina, as if to ask for her permission. The sour feeling of jealousy is rising in her chest again, but she reminds herself to rein it in, to not make a fuss. This is work, she should be understanding. She nods, hoping that Chaeyoung doesn’t see the sour look on her face. But the barista is oblivious to her girlfriend’s feelings, quickly snapping a photo with the customer and sending them off with a greeting before turning back to look at her. “Sorry about that, but okay let’s go for sushi, I will see you in 10.”

 

Chaeyoung beams at her, and Mina nods with a small smile. Watching the barista walk back into the backroom, Mina signs internally, taking a sip of her ‘Minaricano’. She has to be understanding, she can’t let her jealousy ruin her relationship again.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung is having lunch with Nayeon and Jeongyeon one day when someone stops at their table, or specifically by Jeongyeon’s side. She doesn’t seem to mind all of them turning to stare at her, eyes still only glued on Jeongyeon, who looks at her confusedly.

 

Jeongyeon didn’t know her, didn't recognize her from any of her classes either. But she still has the decency to ask politely, “Yes, how can I help you?”

 

“I- um- Can I have a signature from you please?” The intruder asks, blushing as she holds out a piece of white paper and a marker.

 

“Oh… I’m sorry, I can’t.” Jeongyeon smiles awkwardly. Working at the café meant that they became somewhat superstars on campus, and it’s not rare for people to approach them like this for autographs or pictures. However it has caused great disturbances to their private lives with people approaching them in school, causing the owners of the café to come up with the rule that their employees are not allowed to sign or take photos with any of their fans/customers outside of work, and have made this known through notices on the café and its social media accounts so that such customers/fans will stop approaching them during their private time. However, there will still be one or two brave souls approaching them like this, trying their luck to get a signature or a photo.

 

Nayeon scoffs, not as nice as her girlfriend. “Didn’t you see the notice? Flower Girl Café said not to bother their employees outside of work, and my girlfriend is obviously off work now. I would really appreciate it if you don’t interrupt her private time.”

 

Chaeyoung gapes at how straightforward Nayeon is, but it works wonders, immediately scaring the girl off as she scampers back into the crowd of students. She gives a thumbs up at the oldest girl, “Wow, Nayeon-unnie you are so cool.”

 

Nayeon scoffs while Jeongyeon holds her girlfriend’s hand, rubbing her thumb over her hand to calm her down. “I can’t say anything when she’s at the café since it’s work, but I’m not going to stay still if they are interrupting our private time.”

 

Turning to Jeongyeon, she hits her girlfriend’s arm. “When are you going to quit!”

 

Jeongyeon yelps. “Come on, the café pays me $15 per hour. Where else can I find such a good paying part-time job?”

 

Nayeon huffs, flinging Jeongyeon’s hand off and crosses her arms. “You just don’t want to lose the popularity. Chaeyoung, will you quit if Mina asks you to?”

 

“Yeah sure, if she does. But she hasn’t, and she won’t.” Chaeyoung replies confidently, knowing how understanding her girlfriend is.

 

“What do you mean she won’t?” Nayeon asks.

 

“Mina is super understanding when it comes to things like that. She has never had any problems with it.” She mumbles, full of food.

 

“I envy you.” Jeongyeon side eyes her girlfriend by her side, which earns her an elbow to her ribs.

 

But Nayeon focuses on the youngest instead, sensing something wrong with her relationship with Mina. “Chaeyoung-ah, are you sure she’s really not jealous, or she just didn’t tell you that she is?”

 

At this, Chaeyoung stops munching, seriously thinking through Nayeon’s words. Mina has never said anything to her when she went out late, when she gets ogled at while working, and she has just taken it that her girlfriend doesn’t have a problem with it. But she has never thought that it may be that she has always had a problem with it, but just chooses not to say anything about it. With Mina’s shy personality, it is very possible that that's the case. She finally realizes what’s wrong with their seemingly perfect relationship.

 

They have never gotten into any arguments not because Mina is super understanding and doesn’t get jealous, but that she reins it in before they do. She remembers now, how the smile didn’t reach Mina’s eyes, how her girlfriend seemed to be down the whole day that day when she texted Yerim. Or the time when she came out after work to see Mina brooding while staring out of the window. It’s only now that Chaeyoung connected the dots and realizes that Mina does mind, that she was just pretending to be fine all this time. How did she not see all the signs then? Why do you keep pretending to be fine when you really aren’t? Why didn’t you tell me you were uncomfortable?

 

“I- I got to go.” Chaeyoung grabs her bag, all appetite gone, only feeling the fear coursing in her veins. If her girlfriend chooses to bottle her feelings in instead of saying it out, it’s going to create a distance, a barrier between them, one that Chaeyoung fears will be fatal to their relationship if it continues. That is why she has to reach out first, to close this distance between them before it’s too late.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung goes to work with a heavy heart, deciding to talk to Mina later back at home. She’s a non-confrontational person by nature, so the fact that she has to confront someone, her girlfriend no less, is making her feel out of sorts.

 

“Hey, don’t let what Nabongs said get to you, she’s just sprouting nonsense like usual.” Jeongyeon is concerned at how down her little bro is after their talk during lunch, and wants to reassure the younger girl that it’s nothing to worry about.

 

But Chaeyoung knows better, shaking her head. “Nayeon-unnie is right. There’s something fundamentally wrong with our relationship. We are not being honest with each other.”

 

Jeongyeon bites her lips, not knowing what to say to make it better. “So what are you going to do?”

 

“I will talk to her later after work,” Chaeyoung shrugs, hoping everything goes well during the talk. She really didn’t want to lose Mina.

 

Jeongyeon ruffles Chaeyoung’s hair as moral support, letting her know that she will be there for her no matter what happens. The doorbell chimes, and Seulgi enters the café, earning squeals from some of the customers.

 

“Oh cub, you are still here?” Seulgi says as she enters the café area and spots Chaeyoung.

 

“Er yeah, why wouldn’t I be here? I’m on shift today,” Chaeyoung asks incredulously, not understanding why the bear would ask her such a question.

 

“Mina sprained her ankle during practice earlier, I thought you will be accompanying her.” Seulgi says nonchalantly, and the surprised look on Chaeyoung’s face tells her why. “Oh. You didn’t know?”

 

--

 

Chaeyoung is blowing up Mina’s phone, but the latter isn’t picking up, causing her to be even more worried. Hopping off the bus, she sprints back home, thankful that her apartment is not very far from the bus stop. But when she is about to reach her block, she sees Mina limping back home while struggling to keep her duffel bag on her shoulders. Her worry turns into anger. Why does Mina never ask her for help? Is she really her girlfriend?

 

She runs up to Mina, grabbing the latter’s duffel bag from her. The dancer gasps, thinking it’s a robber, but relaxes once she realizes who it is. “You scared me, I thought you were a robber.”

 

Chaeyoung wants to confront her girlfriend, wants to ask her why she never asks her for help, why she always gives, but never asks for anything from her, or if she even sees her as her girlfriend in the first place. But she sees the bandage around her ankle, knows that Mina is in pain already and she doesn’t want to make things harder for her. Sighing, she squats in front of Mina. “Hop on, I will carry you home.”

 

“It’s okay, it’s just a few steps back home, I can manage.” Mina pulls Chaeyoung up, rejecting her offer of a piggyback ride.

 

“Mina,” Chaeyoung mutters as she turns around to face her, “am I really your girlfriend?”

 

“W-what? Of course you are!” Mina panics; what did she do wrong this time? He said she was overbearing and controlling, and that’s why she doesn’t call Chaeyoung no matter how late she’s out. He said she was clingy, and that’s why she never asks for Chaeyoung’s attention. But she had forgotten one very important thing; Chaeyoung is not him.

 

“You never make a fuss, never get jealous. You never call me if I’m out, never ask for anything from me, only constantly giving without wanting to receive anything from me. Even now, you got hurt but you don’t even call me, choosing to limp home by yourself instead. I’m your girlfriend, not your kid. I don’t need you to take care of me all the time, and I want to take care of you too.” Chaeyoung didn’t need Mina to baby her, she just needed Mina to need her.

 

“I’m sorry…” Mina looks down, her tears falling. “It’s just… in my previous relationship… he said I was too clingy…”

 

Chaeyoung feels her heart break and her blood boil at the same time. She didn’t know, didn’t know that Mina’s understanding was built on a previous heartbreak that scarred her so bad that it caused her to hold back her true feelings, unable to tell her how she really feels because she was afraid to lose her. She really wants to find the guy and bash him up now. But she focuses on the girl in front of her, stepping forward to wrap her arms around her. “I should be the one who is saying sorry. Sorry I didn’t realize; I should have reached out to you first.”

 

Mina shakes her head, burying her head into Chaeyoung’s neck. Now that Chaeyoung knows, she’s going to make things right. “With me, you don’t have to hold back. Doesn’t matter if it’s jealousy, anger or sadness, I will be there for you. You can be clingy, but I will never see you as attention seeking. You can get jealous, and I will never blame you for that. So, give me a chance to pacify you, to pamper and treat you like a princess. Okay?”

 

Mina sniffs, pulling away to look at Chaeyoung, unable to believe what she heard, that her girlfriend is able to accept her flaws so easily. But she only sees sincerity in the latter’s eyes as she smiles and wipes away her tears for her. “I’m going to be really clingy even in public, I’m not going to care even if your fangirls are there.”

 

Chaeyoung shrugs. “I don’t care about them anyway.”

 

“I’m going to call you every time you hang out late with your friends.”

 

“Great, I can finally let Dahyun and Tzuyu have a taste of their own medicine every time they have to leave early because their girlfriends called.”

 

She can’t believe it took her so long, but Mina finally realizes that it’s not wrong to be clingy, to be attention seeking, to get jealous and angry at her partner over small things. She just needed to find the right person. With the right person, she wouldn’t have to change herself to fit them, because they will love her, all of her, including her flaws. With the right person, she can be herself, and they will still love her the same. And she knows now, the right person is Chaeyoung. She leans in to peck her girlfriend. “Thank you.”

 

Chaeyoung beams, dimple on display. “Well princess, I would really love to princess carry you, but I don’t think I’m strong enough for that so…” She turns around, back facing Mina before squatting down again. “Hop on!”

 

“Are you saying I’m fat?!” Mina scoffs teasingly, getting up on Chaeyoung’s back gently. Despite her words, she’s afraid of hurting Chaeyoung, but the younger girl doesn’t seem to have a problem, easily heaving her onto her back.

 

“No, I’m just saying I’m weak.” Chaeyoung smiles, tightening her hold on Mina’s legs. “Hold tight, princess.”

 

They set off at a slow pace, and Mina can’t help but lean her head against Chaeyoung’s. Her girlfriend may be shorter and younger than her, but she proved that she is even more reliable than many others bigger and older than her. She feels assured to leave her heart in the hands of someone like Chaeyoung, because she knows the latter will take care of it with all that she has.

 

“Chaeyoung.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Son Chaeyoung.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love you.”

 

And the best thing about entrusting her heart with Chaeyoung is that she has hers in return.

 

“I love you too.”

 

--

 

“I was just minding my business listening to the tutor talk when she just suddenly looked at me and went “Why is your face like that?”. Like what am I supposed to say? ‘Ask my parents? Because I’m looking at you?’” Tzuyu is telling Chaeyoung and Dahyun about the ridiculous situation that happened in her class just now, where the tutor literally asked her ‘why was her face like that’. But the two of them don't seem to be as offended as her, just turning to look at each other before bursting into laughter.

 

Chaeyoung wipes away the tears at the corner of her eyes, “You should stop looking so disgusted at everything then.” 

 

“Yeah, stop glaring at people.” Dahyun is leaning back in her chair, clutching her stomach that is aching from all the laughing.

 

“But they deserve to be glared at.” Tzuyu huffs indignantly.

 

“Please, what doesn’t deserve to be glared at according to you?” Chaeyoung rolls her eyes, knowing that her sassy friend hates the world and isn’t afraid to show that by glaring at everyone and everything.

 

“Dogs. And Elkie.” Tzuyu’s face blushes a little just from the mention of her girlfriend.

 

Dahyun smirks and shakes her head, “Whipped.”

 

Chaeyoung would have also replied with something snarky too, but her phone rings. It’s Mina, and she immediately picks up, letting her two friends entertain themselves. “Hello~?”

 

Mina lets out a light chuckle, “Hi~ My lecture just ended, are you okay to leave now?”

 

Because of Mina’s sprained ankle, she told Mina to call her when her lecture ends so that she can pick her up and go home together. Looking at her watch, she realizes it’s time, but she has forgotten all about it while chatting with her buddies. “Okay, give me around ten minutes, you are at lecture hall five right?

 

“Yeah, take your time, I will wait for you here,” Mina tells her.

 

“Okay I’ll be right there, don’t walk around unnecessarily!” Chaeyoung reminds her girlfriend. After saying goodbye, Chaeyoung pockets her phone and properly puts on her coat. “Sorry bros, Mina just called, I gotta go.”

 

Tzuyu scoffs, “Who’s whipped now?”

 

Chaeyoung sticks out her tongue at her two friends. She may be whipped, but she’s proud of it. “You guys talk like you all are not whipped too.” Picking up her bag, she tells them, “I will make it up to you guys next time, I promise!” With that, she salutes them with two fingers before sprinting off.

 

--

 

“Okay that’s it for today guys, I will see you guys next week.” The lecturer announces, and some immediately bolt out of the lecture hall, while others stream down to the lecturer to clarify some things they weren’t clear about.

 

Without any hesitations, Mina presses the first number on her speed dial, holding her phone between her ear and shoulder while slowly packing her stuff. It only takes four rings before Chaeyoung picks up.

 

“Hello~?” Chaeyoung’s cute voice sounds through the phone, and she sounds so excited to hear from her that Mina can’t help but chuckle. “Hi~ My lecture just ended, are you okay to leave now?”

 

“Okay, give me around ten minutes, you are at lecture hall five right?

 

Mina smiles at how Chaeyoung remembers which lecture hall she is at even though she just mentioned it in passing yesterday. “Yeah, take your time, I will wait for you here.”

 

“Okay I’ll be right there, don’t walk around unncessarily!” Chaeyoung nags at her again, and Mina rolls her eyes. “Alright, I will just sit right here and wait for you. See you later~”

 

She ends the call, and sees Jihyo smiling at her. “Chaeyoung is coming?”

 

Mina nods with a small smile, “She’s fussing so much because of my ankle.”

 

“And that’s a good thing, isn’t it?” Jihyo confirms more than asks. Having seen Mina with her previous boyfriend and now with Chaeyoung, it’s clear who treats Mina better, and who Mina is happier with.

 

Chaeyoung’s fussing may be over the top sometimes, but at least it shows that she cares. (If it was him, he wouldn’t even have answered her call, let alone tell her to call him when she’s done with her class.) If the relationship with him forced her to be independent, her relationship with Chaeyoung taught her to be vulnerable, that it’s okay for her to lean and depend on Chaeyoung when she needs to.

 

“Yes, it is.” Mina smiles. (Chaeyoung is too.)

 

--

 

Chaeyoung brings in the laundry, placing them beside Mina on the bed as the latter folds them. They work quietly but efficiently, Chaeyoung going a few rounds to bring in all the laundry. Usually they would have brought it in together, but with Mina’s sprained ankle, Chaeyoung has to do it all by herself. But she doesn’t complain, just going a few more times to bring all the laundry in. Bringing in the last batch of laundry, she plops down beside Mina, picking up a shirt to fold too.

 

“Wow, did you work at H&M before or something? You are so good at folding clothes.” Chaeyoung marvels.

 

Mina smiles and plays along with the compliment. “Hi Miss, that shirt you are holding is going for a discount today, it costs only three kisses instead of the usual five. Would you like to get it?”

 

Chaeyoung smirks, leaning closer to Mina. “I will pay the full price; I don’t need the discount.”

 

She pecks Mina five times consecutively on the lips, and then one more time for good measure. She pulls away, big grin on her face. “Oops, I paid you an extra one. You have to return it to me.”

 

Mina rolls her eyes, but relents, closing the gap between them once again. “Thank you for shopping with us, hope to see you again.”

 

Chaeyoung’s phone lights up with a notification, and she pecks Mina one more time before pulling away and looking at her phone. It’s Yerim asking her about some details of their project, and she replies back quickly. Mina leans over to look at her phone, but she doesn’t feel any ugly green monsters growing in her chest even though she sees the name at the top of the chat.

 

She had told Chaeyoung about how uncomfortable she felt when the latter texted her ex, but instead of blaming her, Chaeyoung understood, and proved that she had nothing to be jealous about through her actions and words. She made sure to let Mina know when she texted Yerim, and when they had to meet for their project, letting her know that she can trust her. Most importantly, she doesn’t forget to remind Mina of how much she loves her. That is why she no longer worries about who Chaeyoung texts, or if her fangirls are always buzzing around her, because she knows her girlfriend loves her so much that she won’t even spare a glance for any of them.

 

Even now, as she snuggles into the barista’s embrace, she’s reassured by how Chaeyoung drapes an arm around her waist, pulling her close. Sending one last text to Yerim, Chaeyoung puts away her phone, pulling away to look at Mina who’s in her embrace. “All good?”

 

How can she not be when her girlfriend is so caring, considerate and loving? Mina kisses the pulse point on Chaeyoung’s neck. “More than good.”

 

--

 

The doorbell dings, and Yura looks up from the counter. Smiling at the customer who just entered the store, she laments, “I was about to sell it away if you didn’t come and collect it anytime soon.”

 

“How can you do that to your most loyal customer?” Mina smiles as she approaches the counter; she knows Yura wouldn’t do that to her. She always gets her games from Yura, quickly forming a bond with the shop owner with how much she comes to the shop. That is why she is able to get Yura to save a copy of new game releases for her without having to queue. Like today, she finally found time to come and collect the new Animal Crossing game, too busy to do so for the past few days.

 

Yura comes out from the back, placing her game and another huge wrapped box on the counter. “This is your game,” she pushes the game to her and taps the wrapped box, “and this is your present from your little girlfriend.”

 

“Total will be $79 for the game.”

 

Mina blinks, what surprise is Chaeyoung pulling again this time? Handing over her card for payment, she looks at the package carefully, sees that there is a small card attached to the wrapper. Opening it, she reads the contents of the card.

 

Hi Minari, hope you like this little surprise I prepared for your birthday! You can enjoy your game on it :D

 

It can’t be… Mina’s heart leaps at the message, having an inkling of what lies underneath the wrapper already. Carefully taking out the card, she tears open the wrapper, and like what she thought, it’s an Animal Crossing themed Nintendo Switch console set. Mina can only stare in disbelief at the console, knowing that it is a limited-edition version and definitely does not come cheap.

 

Chaeyoung had constantly dissuaded her from getting one whenever she talked about it, citing how expensive it is and how she doesn’t need a new console when she already has one already. What Mina didn’t know was that her girlfriend was doing it so that she can get it for her as her birthday present instead. In retrospect, no wonder Chaeyoung took up more shifts than usual for the past few months, she was doing it to go all out for her birthday.

 

When Chaeyoung said she’s going to spoil and pamper her, Mina didn’t expect it to be of this scale. That stupid idiot, she really needs to see Chaeyoung now. She receives her card and receipt from Yura, thanking her before rushing out of the shop.

 

--

 

“Bro, did you do something wrong?” Dahyun asks, eyes darting nervously between Chaeyoung and behind her, but her friend is too focused on her work to notice.

 

“What do you mean?” Chaeyoung finally looks up from her laptop and sees her friend’s reaction. Turning back to see what Dahyun is looking at, she sees Mina stomping towards her, hands holding a big box with very familiar wrapping paper still half on it. She smiles; Mina went to collect her game in the end. After finding out that Animal Crossing will be out on 20 March, Chaeyoung knew that Mina will definitely get the game at Yura’s shop, and had planned it out so that her girlfriend can get her birthday present while collecting her game at Yura’s. She was getting a bit nervous that Mina hadn’t gone down to collect the game for the past few days and she was getting ready to go pick it up herself, but it seemed like everything worked out even better since Mina collected it today on the 24th.

 

Chaeyoung beams, getting up to help Mina with the box of Switch. “I see that you have collected your present, do you like it?”

 

She barely placed the box on their table when Mina places her hands on her face, crashing her lips onto Chaeyoung’s. They move against her urgently, passionately, and when Mina pulls away, they are both totally breathless. Chaeyoung doesn’t know what caused her usually shy girlfriend to kiss her like that, but she’s definitely not complaining.

 

“I guess you really liked your present,” Chaeyoung comments, still heaving for air. She can see all the phone cameras aimed at them from her peripheral vision, and knows that they are probably going to be the talk of the town for the next week, and Moonbyul will probably nag her ears off for this overt show of affection, causing her to lose popularity with her fans and affecting the business of the café, but she doesn’t care, not when Mina is so happy, hugging her so tightly.

 

“No, I really like you.” Mina replies, pulling away to give her a kiss on the cheek. 

 

The latter smiles, resting her forehead against Mina’s. “Happy birthday, baby.”

 

They say love becomes a disappointment with time, but with you, love has never disappointed me. Mina smiles, “Thank you, baby.”

 

--

a/n: happy birthday Minari!!