An Unsettling Premonition

All Aboard: Final Express
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Where… where am I?”

 

Lee Chaeyeon slowly props herself up from the concrete floor. The room is poorly lit with fluorescent lights flickering from the ceiling, along with the cold temperature. Most notably, a scent of coal strongly lingers around the area.

 

Chaeyeon can only assume she's in the back room of an underground nuclear shelter.

 

As she is waking up from her unconsciousness and sits up, she turns around only to notice a major cave-in as a result of a poor structural foundation, mainly due to the lack of building maintenance.

 

So long for a way out, she thought.

 

While Chaeyeon gets up to dust herself off from any dirt clinging onto her clothes, she conducts a quick scan over the grounds only to find a standard pistol and a gun holster laying not too far from where she’s standing.

 

The woman reaches and grabs both the items before her, strapping the holster around her right thigh first. With the holster finally, in place, she then grabs the gun to unload the chamber to see if there are any bullets loaded into the magazine.

 

As expected, the chamber comes out empty.

 

“Of course, nothing.” She clicks her tongue before she continues on to look around the area, just to find a single locker stationed next to the only doorway out of the room. Perhaps Chaeyeon would finally get the ammo she needs for the gun.

 

She walks over and opens the locker door to lo-behold her luck, she spots a full magazine of bullets sitting on the shelf.

 

“Nice, just what I needed!”

 

Chaeyeon swiftly inserts the magazine and fully lock it into the gun chamber, armed ready with confidence for anything that comes in her way.

 

With the gun in hand and door handle on the other, she swings the door open and follows through a small staircase towards the door up ahead. 

 

Not knowing what to expect, Chaeyeon opens the door to stumble upon an obscure figure covering itself in black-coated soot. It is currently busy devouring a dead body of what remains to be a man as the same soot-like substance oozes out from its mouth.

 

To see the cannibalistic nature in action up close and personal causes a reaction from the poor woman as she lets out a startling scream.

 

Immediately, the figure stops from its feeding as it stands up, angered from the interruption. It turns itself around and starts to come at Chaeyeon with its staggered movements, arms reaching out. The soot drips down from the living host, making the overall appearance to be grotesque and unsettling to the point where it sends chills down her spine.

 

“S-stay away from me!” Chaeyeon yells as she lifts up her handgun, firing a couple of shots before one bullet strikes the head dead center. The figure leans forward with a splat onto the concrete floor as any signs of life has come to an end.

 

Taking a sigh of relief, Chaeyeon lays down her gun on the side and takes her time to look over at the gruesome scene before her. Scanning from the left side of the room, she sees a broken bench being snapped nearly in half, along with the coal-like blood already splattered onto the concrete wall. Next with the following two corpses: one dead man sitting upright against a desk with both eyes widened in a frantic terror-stricken expression on his face along with the same coal blood covering the majority of the neck area, the other one limped onto the floor with his head planted face down.

 

Her search ends as she lays her eyes on the door ahead.

 

Still slightly shaken from the encounter, Chaeyeon bends her knees in front of the corpses to scavenge for any useful items that will aid her journey in finding her way out of the underground shelter.

 

Her scavenging results with few extra bullets and a small medical kit to spare, Chaeyeon places them inside her vest pocket for safekeeping. She then quickly reloads her gun and prepares herself for any more of the undead figures before her as she turns the door handle.

 

As she opens the door, she braces herself as two more undead figures ambush her; with one of them being short-statured rushing towards at the woman in malice, baring their set of jagged sharp teeth parted from their gooey lips.

 

Chaeyeon holds her position with her gun pointed at the immediate threat in front of her and swiftly takes a few more shots at the short zombie’s head before it went down, and instantly moves on to the next zombie with an additional shot towards the zombie’s head.

 

After the two zombies are confirmed dead, the woman comes to the dawn of realization that the chances of encountering a living person are slim as she makes a right turn towards an adjacent staircase, cautiously making her descend down the steps to find an unsuspected zombie loitering near the next door.

 

Chaeyeon wastes no time to take a headshot at it with yet another kill before entering the door just up ahead.

 

She finds herself looking at an underground prison mess hall. Rows of cells stationed on the edges of the room with tables littered with various beakers and tubes lying about haphazardly on their respective countertops, just beneath the balcony deck she is standing on.

 

What in the bloody hell is she seeing, Chaeyeon thought while putting the gun away back into the holster; her eyes frantically searching around at various spots of the hall before her.

 

Deciding to take a further look around the surroundings, she loo

Please log in to read the full chapter