Lap 1

Rainbow Road

*50CC - the easiest level in Mario Kart

*Bullet Blaster - an item in Mario Kart that helps beat other races (usually given to those are last place) 

*Rainbow Road - a course that is difficult due to sharp turns and easy falls

*150CC - hardest level plus the course is mirrored/flipped 


"WHY ARE WE PLAYING 50CC THIS IS TOO EASY!!", yelled a 10-year-old girl named Chaewon.

Hyejoo swiftly turned her Wii remote and calmly said, "Quiet young one, I am trying to concentrate."

It was winter break and tradition for the two neighbours to play a game of Mario Kart. However, the tradition was broken when Hyejoo's older sister, Jiwoo and her friend, Sooyoung, joined them as well. At first, Hyejoo protested but Chaewon being a goody two shoes invited them to join their first game of Mario Kart during winter break. 

Jiwoo's eyes turned into hearts and her smile shined brighter than the sun as she was confident that she could impress her crush friend by coming first in Mario Kart. However, her confidence did not match her skills. Therefore, she bribed Hyejoo into playing 50CC.

Jiwoo curled her fist as she wasted her entire allowance by bribing Hyejoo and somehow still placed 12th! Chaewon wined and said, "Rainbow Road with 50CC was so easy, I played with my eyes closed!" Sooyoung laughed and said, "Jiwoo, are you and Hyejoo really siblings? She came 2nd while you came last even though you got like FOUR bullet blasters!". 

Jiwoo pouted and Sooyoung turned red. Jiwoo shook her head and said, "Are you feeling hot? Let's go outside and get pizza for all us!" Hyejoo let out a small giggle at the scene and Chaewon immediately switched her attention from picking a course to Hyejoo. Hyejoo barely smiled, but when she did, Chaewon screenshots the image of her smiling in her brain a million times. 

Chaewon began to zone out while Hyejoo waved her hand in front of Chaewon and asked, "Hey Chaewon? You okay? You are blinking a lot?" 

"Uh? I was just screenshotting you--- , nevermind. Can we play a real game, just us too? Let's play Mirror 150!!" 

"Hmm, sure Chaewon."

"But Chae, you know, you have been zoning out a lot recently? If anything is wrong, you can tell me."

"Okay, Mom who is in grade 5 and needs to chill. NOW IT IS TIME THAT I, THE GREAT CHAEWON WILL BEAT YOUR HIPBONE IN MARIO KART!!" 

Hyejoo smirked and said, "You know I let you win last time because I wanted Sooyoung Unnie to hug me and say it was alright to come second sometimes." 

Chaewon slightly frowned and forgot to press the buttons on time for the starting boast as the countdown started. 

 


 

A couple of years later, Chaewon's and Hyejoo's lives changed as they entered a new lap in life, Highschool. 

They both gained popularity quickly and made new friends. Chaewon was popular among both genders for her energetic and lovely image, while Hyejoo had a quiet and mysterious aura that attracted many fans. 

One day, Chaewon was walking towards Hyejoo's locker to give her English class notes. Hyejoo began skipping classes that she found useless like English but still got the high 90s due to her stay in America for a year when she was seven. At first, Chaewon wondered why Hyejoo began skipping class, but then rumours began to spread. Hyejoo was dating some girl called Yerim, daughter of the principal. 

Chaewon didn't know when her feelings for Hyejoo began. Maybe from when she started screenshotting Hyejoo in her head or when she found out from Sooyoung that Hyejoo lost their 50 CC Mario Kart game in grade 5 so that Chaewon could feel better after getting yelled by her parents for playing too many games.

Chaewon liked Hyejoo, but she knew Hyejoo did not like her. Hyejoo already had a girlfriend. Chaewon hoped it was just a petty teenage crush since they only began dating 3 days ago. However, her hopes were crushed as she walked near Hyejoo's locker and saw them intensely making out. Chaewon gagged and wondered where did Hyejoo learn all of this, it was only a couple of months in since the year had started. 

It was Chaewon's first time since she saw Yerim and Hyejoo together. Since the couple began dating, Hyejoo and Chaewon had barely interacted. It was Chaewon to messaged Hyejoo first and asked if she wanted notes from the class she had skipped yesterday to go on a date with her girlfriend. 

Chaewon curled her hand into her fist and promised that she would make it through the next five minutes of hell. She tried clearing to catch their attention as they are passionately making out. She wondered where the student council's hallway monitors were. 

Then she spotted one of the monitors, thankfully it was Hyejoo's older sister, Jiwoo. Jiwoo waved towards Chaewon and engulfed her into a big hug.

Chaewon felt relief and said, "Thank god I found you! Here are notes for Hyejoo, she missed English yesterday." Immediately Jiwoo frowned as she heard what Chaewon said, and saw Hyejoo and Yerim were doing. 

Jiwoo went towards them and pull them apart. She held by Hyejoo the ear and said, "YOU TWO DETENTION AFTER SCHOOL IN ROOM 101!". The hallway became silent and gasped as they heard Jiwoo's words. The scariest student council monitored room 101. Weirdly, Yerim smiled as she came first in their yearly exams. 

Chaewon knew Hyejoo was angry. No one would be able to tell as Hyejoo had a poker face, but it was the little things Chaewon knew about Hyejoo like how Hyejoo's ears turn slightly red, or how one of her legs bend more than the other when she's angry. Chaewon continued to stare at Hyejoo until Hyejoo made eye contact with her and walked away while holding hands with Yerim. 

The bell rang and Chaewon still had the notes she was supposed to give Hyejoo. 

 

----

 

Chaewon was getting ready to walk home alone again... for the third time till she got a text on her phone. 

*1 message from Wolfie* 

Hyejoo: Hi, can you give me the English notes. I am in Room 101. 

Chaewon sighed, the last thing she wanted to see was her crush and her girlfriend making out again. 

As she opened the door of the classroom. She saw Sooyoung, the monitor and smiled towards her. Sooyoung waved towards her. 

"Hey, Sooyoungie!! I just need to give notes to someone and I will leave haha!"

"PARK CHAEWON DON'T SOOYOUNGIE ME!!"

"Oh sorry, is that an exclusive nickname only for Jiwoo to use??" Sooyoung turned red and Chaewon heard two girls laugh. 

Chaewon turned her head towards the two girls who laughed and took a glimpse of Hyejoo as well. It was the school's prankster and top athlete, Hyunjin and the famous model student, Heejin. Her new best friends after Hyejoo had left her. 

Heejin saw the way Chaewon looked at Hyejoo and knew Chaewon felt something for her former best friend. Heejin squeezed the crunchy Chaewon, and planted a kiss on her cheek, as Hyunjin followed to do the same on the other cheek. 

"EW!! LEAVE THE KISSING FOR EACH OTHER!!" Hyunjin and Heejin both blushed while Chaewon wished that she would find someone who loved her as much as Heejin and Hyunjin loved each other. 

Chaewon looked towards Hyejoo and she seemed angry, her ears were slightly red again. Hyejoo let go of Yerim's hand, stood up and grabbed Chaewon and walked out of the class despite Sooyoung's protests. 

"Can you give me the notes?"

"Yeah, here you go Hyejoo!! I guess this will be the last time we will talk then. Farewell." 

"Wait, Chaewon."

"Yes, Hyejoo?" Chaewon tried to put up a fake smile. She was tired. Tired of hiding her feelings. Tired of getting hurt by Hyejoo. She wanted to go home and have a dance battle with her friends. 

"Are you jealous?"

"Jealous of what? Jealous of you being able to skip class? No, I cannot miss having rap battles with Hyunjin in class!"

"No, jealous of me and Yerim."

Chaewon choked. She wondered what would happen if she said yes. Would Hyejoo break up with Yerim? Would Hyejoo just laugh at her? She was curious. 

 

 

 

"Yes, I am jealous."


There will be two more chapters. Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes. Thank you for reading!