[1]

lesson

Chaewon was working at the desk in her room when she heard the faint sound of keys jingling outside her apartment door. She glanced quickly at the clock hanging on the wall.

“7 o’clock” she thought to herself, “Hyejoo’s finally home”.

“Oh , Hyejoo’s home!” she thought again as she realized the scolding she was probably about to get from Hyejoo.

Chaewon is always so tired when she comes home that most days, she’ll just walk into the apartment and leave her bags on the floor right in front of the door. Hyejoo hates this. She said it makes them look lazy and makes their apartment look messy. And what if she brought someone over? They would think they were slobs. At least that’s what Hyejoo says.

Today was one of those days. Chaewon now remembers her bag sitting in the doorway and inwardly groans at her forgetfulness. She really did mean to move it before Hyejoo got home and saw it, but the thought honestly didn’t cross her mind after she sat down and started working. It’s not like she enjoys making Hyejoo mad, she just genuinely always forgets. 

Chaewon doesn’t mean to do it, but it seems to happen quite a lot, especially recently, and Hyejoo has been getting increasingly irritated with her each additional time she does it. She mentally prepares herself for Hyejoo’s impending rant as she hears the apartment door open. But she never hears it. Instead, she hears a loud thud, like another bag hitting the floor, except this bag sounded like it was filled with books or bricks; something heavy. She waits a few seconds more and still hears nothing that sounds like an angry Hyejoo. Maybe Hyejoo had adopter her ways and is now doing the same as her.

“YAH! CHAEWON!”

Nope, there it is.

Chaewon cringes as she hears her name being called like that. Hyejoo has never shouted like that before. She was honestly a bit scared to face her in that state, so she decided to stay in her room.

“H-hey Hyejoo. How was your day?” Chaewon answers timidly from behind her bedroom door, still mildly scared from the younger girl’s tone.

“Chaewon! Seriously, what the hell?! How many times do I have to ask and tell you not to leave your bags right in the goddamn doorway?” Hyejoo shouted, her voice becoming louder and louder. Chaewon could hear her making her way towards her room, so she quickly closed her door, in hopes that that would prevent the younger girl from barging in and beating her up. Hyejoo’s loud footsteps suddenly stop and Chaeown knows that she’s standing right outside her door now.

“Chaewon, honeslty, do you not care about what I want? I ask you to do one thing. It’s not even hard and you still can’t do it.” Hyejoo was mad. For real. Chaewon has never heard her this mad about anything before so she was seriously shocked, but she still did what she always does when Hyejoo is mad at her.

“Hyejooo~” she started sweetly, “I’m sorry honey~ Please don’t be mad at Chaewonnie” Hyejoo could never resist Chaewon being cute to her. She would always get a huge blush on her face and have to leave because she was really shy about that and when she would come back she had always forgot about being mad in the first place. That didn’t work this time though.

“Don’t give me that, Chaewon. I’m actually pissed ok, can you try to listen to me for once!?”

“. . What’s going on right now, how did that not work?!” Chaewon thought frantically to herself. When Hyejoo didn’t get an answer from the older girl she continues,

“I always ask you to move your bags, it’s not a hard task, I don’t know why you can’t just do it. Is that how little you care about me? You can’t even do that?” Hyejoo had calmed down by now but now her tone was more one of disappointment and almost sadness, which Chaewon thinks is even worse than before. Hearing this, Chaewon steps away from her door an opens it to see the other girl standing there mirroring her. Chaewon scans her face to try and read her emotions but stops when she sees quite a large cut at the top of the younger girl’s forehead. She immediately rushed forward and reached to lightly hold Hyejoo’s head.

“Hyejoo, oh my god what happened, this looks bad.” Chaewon sputtered quickly, shocked at the scene of thin trickles of blood starting to run down the girl’s forehead.

“Well Chaewon, you left your ing bags in front of the door and I tripped on them and hit my head on the counter. Thanks for that, I really love ing up my wellbeing.” Hyejoo answered irately, not looking at the older girl who was still holding her head.

“Oh my god” Chaewon gasped, realizing what happened and hating herself for being the cause of it, “ Hyejoo, I’m so, SO sorry. What should I even do now? Oh my god, please don’t have a concussion. I’m so sorry.” Chaewon rambled frantically as she took her hand off Hyejoo’s forehead and moved it to one of the girl’s arms. She pulled her into their bathroom and motioned for her to sit down on the toilet seat so that she could help tend to her cut. But instead of helping, Chaewon just stared at the other girl. She felt so bad for causing this to happen and felt even worse for not knowing what to do to help her now. She reached for the girl’s hands, more to comfort herself than anything else. She felt in one of Hyejoo’s hands that she was holding something.

Looking at what it was made Chaewon just about explode.

“What the hell is this?” She asked as she removed the little plastic bottle, seemingly filled with what looked to be some kind of red liquid. Getting no answer from the girl in front of her and looking at her grinning expression she knew exactly that her suspicions were true.

“Oh my god you little ” Chaewon exclaimed, both shocked and kind of irritated that Hyejoo would go this far to teach her a lesson. She was the older one, how did Hyejoo trick her so easily? She had almost cried because she felt so bad. “This ” Chaewon thought to herself as she stared as the girl smirking at her, still sitting on the toilet seat.

“Ok well I hope you learned your lesson Chaewon.” Hyejoo said teasingly as she stood up, wiping the last of the red dye off her forehead.

“I can’t believe you Hyejoo.” Chaewon answered, still in disbelief as she simply watched the younger girl take one last look in the mirror for any remaining ‘blood’ and then walk out of the bathroom.

“I really am sorry though.” Chaewon called after the girl “I promise you won’t see my bags in front of the door any more, Hyejoo. Not ever again.” Hearing this earnest declaration, Hyejoo turned around and smiled sweetly at her.

“I know, Chaewon.” She replied, still flashing her bright smile as she turned back around and walked away, leaving a confused and frustrated Chaewon behind her.