[1]

work of art

Jungeun always liked going to museums. Whenever a new exhibit would open in one of her favorite museums she was guaranteed to be one of the first people to see it. She really did like all types of art; simple, intricate, modern, drawings, paintings, sculptures, it really didn’t matter, Jungeun loved it all. She liked to think she had an eye for artwork, like she could pick out and recognize good art and techniques; an eye for beauty.

Basically, she just couldn’t get enough.

That’s why she was back at another showcase today. A new museum had just opened and they were displaying a show called “Women Through Time” and knowing Jungeun and her gay art hoe , you know she jumped in her car and drove down instantly, not even caring about the 2 hour drive it would take to get there.

Even from the outside of the building, Jungeun knew this museum would be added to her long list of favorites, it was beautiful.

There weren’t that many people at the show yet, which was surprising to Jungeun; why wouldn’t people want to see this new exhibit? Nevertheless, she was happy about it though, it just meant more time and freedom for her to peruse the artwork.

And that she did. There was so much to look at. So many different styles and presentations and arrangements; she really did think it was beautiful.

She had just finished looking –staring– at a huge oil painting when another piece on the opposite wall caught her eye. It was small and fairly simple compared to the intricate work she had just seen, but something about it captivated her.

The piece had no border or frame, just the white wall surrounding it, so Jungeun assumed it was a canvas. The simplicity of it intrigued her, so she slowly stepped towards it.

There was a woman in the piece, of course, standing with her back facing outwards and arms seemingly crossed in front of her. She was dressed in a delicately floral dress, with platinum blonde hair cascading over her shoulders and down her back. Even though Jungeun couldn’t see the woman’s face, she knew she must have been beautiful, she just got that aura from her. It was painted so well that Jungeun found it incredibly realistic. 

She walked closer still, fascinated at this simple but so striking and enchanting artwork. She needed to see it closer.

Jungeun was about 10 feet away from the painting when she received the shock of her life, sending her reeling backwards. Her eyes had never left the painting since she first looked at it, so she didn’t miss the person –an actual, real, live, moving person– walk through the frame.

“No ing way,” Jungeun thought to herself. “I’m really going crazy.”

Jungeun knows she wasn’t imagining it though; she knows she saw it. The person walked in through the right side of the frame and out through the left side, which is, of course, impossible in any realistic situation. Jungeun was shook to say the least.

Apprehensively, she took a few more steps forward, thoroughly scared but mostly overpoweringly curious as to what the hell just happened.

When Jungeun stood a few feet in front of the painting she was completely dumbstruck. This piece that she had been staring at so intently for the past couple of minutes was really no piece at all. She gazed in awe as she realized that what she had been looking at was nothing but a window, simply just a hole in the wall. She reached out her hand and waved it through the wall to the other side, into the next room, confirming what the thought was true.

But Jungeun was even more amazed when she realized what this meant. The girl that she had been staring at, the one who she thought was a painting, was actually real. Real and moving.

As Jungeun was looking at her once again she slowly began to turn around. Jungeun swears she’s never seen anyone turn so slow, she might have had a heart attack from the anticipation of seeing her face if it had taken any longer. Once the girl in the dress had fully turned around, her eyes locked with Jungeun’s instantly.

Jungeun instantly felt weak. She felt sick to her stomach. Her hands clamped shut and her eyes sprung open. What was this feeling?

The girl was even more captivating from the front and Jungeun couldn’t believe it. She also couldn’t believe when the girl slowly developed a red coloring oh her cheeks and a slight smile on her lips. It was definitely obvious that Jungeun had been staring and the girl probably felt a bit shy, but Jungeun couldn’t help it. She really couldn’t look away.

As the other girl finally broke the eye contact and slowly turned, walking out of Jungeun’s vision, Jungeun was left speechless. She could not believe that she mistook a window as a painting, a real girl as a 2-D display of paint. She just couldn’t believe it.

But Jungeun always did know she had an eye for beauty.