End

Timeless Melody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time Oh Sehun is introduced to Kim Jongin, he does what anyone at his age would do when something or someone new enters their radius of attention. He simply stares with furrowed eyebrows, sizing up this new entity that doesn’t have his mother’s charming smile or his father’s large hands and deep voice. If anything, Jongin looks like a blob. A blob with sleepy eyes, dark brown hair and pouty lips standing on shaky legs and clutching onto his rattle with tiny fingers as if his life depended on it

Sehun likes the rattle. It’s shiny and blue and makes this weird noise every time Jongin’s hands move. He wants it. And so, he hurtles forward on his palms and knees with every ounce of determination packed into his seven month old chubby limbs until he smashes into Jongin and effectively pushes him back. He watches in mild fascination as Jongin’s eyes widen at the feeling of falling backwards, his brain to limb function not yet developed enough to save him from the resounding smack the back of his head makes as it comes into contact with the carpeted floor.

Jongin seems shocked for about a second before he bursts into the most horrific and annoying screams Sehun’s delicate baby ears has ever heard. Huffing, he crawls closer and sees the rattle still tucked in Jongin’s palm. The other’s dramatic display of discomfort is extremely unimpressive. Sehun knows that he can do better and look much cuter while doing it. He can hear footsteps approaching and it’s not the pitter patter of his friend, Zitao. It’s much heavier and rushed. The parents are coming.

Jongin is still wailing so Sehun makes his last move then. Stretching out his right hand, he considers pinching the seemingly soft puffy looking cheeks that are now smeared with tears but decides against it, instead knicking Jongin right under the eye. The rattle is dropped at that moment and Sehun grabs it up with as much uncoordination his baby limbs have, shrieking in pure glee as Jongin’s screams heighten.

 

****

 

Sehun looks at his own vanilla ice cream cone and then glances over at the chocolate one in Jongin’s hands. The sweet treat is half eaten, half melting down his fingers, and fully smeared over his face and the front of his shirt. “Poop,” Sehun snickers, watching as the older’s face twists into a frown, all previous traces of enjoyment of the cold sweetness on this scorching summer day wiped clean from his less blob-like features.

“It’s not.” Jongin replies sullenly, a pout adorning his sticky lips. He looks down at his melting cone and pulls it closer to himself.

“It is.” Sehun states as a matter-of-factly, lisping lightly but he ignores his speech impediment in favour of crossing the distance between them and grabbing into Jongin’s ice cream, smushing it between his fingers.

He laughs in delight, eyes crinkling as the coldness tingles his skin. It’s so wet and barely solid but slightly liquid, baffling his three year old mind. This is nothing like the Play-Doh his mom lets him play with. If he could smush ice cream every day, Sehun reckons he wouldn’t be as cranky when his mother tells him it’s time for a nap.

Jongin stares blankly, mouth agape at the bare cone in his hand and then to the rest of his dessert leaking between Sehun’s pale fingers and onto the asphalt. “Why?” He sounds hurt and confused, naturally. All he’s ever been towards Sehun was pleasant, yet the younger always tormented him.

“Poop.” Sehun echoes his first observation and reaches up to wipe his hand in Jongin’s hair, noting in awe how the colour of the ice cream blends well with the older’s richer soft locks.

 

****

 

Jongin offers a blue crayon to Kyungsoo. Sehun watches as the smaller boy accepts the colouring stick with wide, bright eyes and thick lips that stretch into a gratifying heart-shaped smile. Jongin returns the gesture with a warm smile of his own and Sehun feels something unpleasant bubble in his stomach. He considers asking Mr. Junmyeon to take him to the bathroom but decides against it.

Instead, he shoves Zitao out of his chair and plants himself at Jongin’s side. “I want a blue crayon too,” he demands, tugging on Jongin’s sleeve to get his attention. The older turns to him with a startled look.

“Where’s Taozi?” he asks, looking around because wasn’t their friend sitting with him just a second ago?

“Jongiiiin.” Sehun whines, frowning uglily. “I want the blue crayon.” That seems to do the trick in grasping the other four year old’s attention. Jongin turns to Kyungsoo who’s happily colouring away at the sky and then back to Sehun who’s sitting with his arms crossed over his small chest expectantly.

“Soo’s using it, Sehuna.” Jongin responds apologetically. He tentatively offers a navy blue instead.

“Soo’s using it,” Sehun mocks, snatching the navy blue crayon. So what if big eyes over there has the crayon? He asked for it. Jongin should get it for him! In a fit of rage, he snaps the crayon and throws it at Jongin’s face, effectively poking him in his eye.

Jongin cries a lot, Sehun realises, and he doesn’t understand why he must be punished because the other is a big cry baby. He relates this to his teacher as he sits in the naughty chair next to the man’s desk. Junmyeon looks down at Sehun and sighs. “You need to be nice to Jongin, Sehunnie. He really likes you. He was right. Kyungsoo had the crayon first.” Sehun didn’t care about Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo shouldn’t have been that important to Jongin.

 

***

 

“Why are you in class?” Jongin crouches down to Sehun’s level where the boy has effectively tucked himself in a corner at the back of the classroom.

“Go away, stupid Jongin.” Is the snarky but muffled response from where Sehun has his face buried on his knees.

“Sehuna-”

“I said go away!” Sehun yells this time, looking up at Jongin with angry, glistening eyes, a snotty nose and dried tear tracks staining his pale cheeks.

Jongin startles, shuffles back and falls onto his with a thud, his backpack knocking the floor. It sounds like he's broken his prized blue plastic ruler and he winces at the thought of the scolding his mother will give him later but Sehun's barely audible sniffing brings him back to the present and the matter at hand. “S-sorry.” Sehun stammers. A fresh wave of tears assault the younger's eyes and he hastily attempts to swipe them away with angry fingers. Jongin realises the older is getting better at the whole apologising thing but he holds back on that observation for another time. Instead, he tentatively crawls forward until his knees touch the tip of Sehun's shoes and places a warm palm on the boy's shoulder.

“Sehuna, what happened?” He asks again, this time softer. Said boy’s frame quivers at the gentleness in Jongin's voice but he stubbornly shakes his head, tone airy and wrecked from holding back his sobs.

“It's nothing. Go play.”

“You're crying. It's something.” Jongin replies firmly and it surprises Sehun how much he sounds like he cares, like he means what he says. His stomach flutters uncomfortably and he swallows hard, curling his tongue in his mouth before sighing in resignation.

“My lisp.” It's all he needs to say. They've been in middle school for two years now. Sehun is no stranger to being bullied for his lisp and Jongin is no stranger to having to protect the younger from these acts. This time he wasn't around. Sehun notices the frustration working its way onto Jongin's face in the deep downward curl of his lips and furrowed brows to his clenched fists and set jaw. “Don't worry about it. I'm fine now.” He adds hastily. One day his retainers will come off and then he'll be the one laughing at those idiots with his perfect teeth.

“It's not. You should really tell aunty.” Jongin huffs. He stands and fixes his bag straps. Sehun stands soon after, dusting his pants and wiping his face again, tears halted and the blotchiness of his skin fading.

“Mom would probably transfer me. Or kill someone.” Sehun deadpans and Jongin snickers in agreement. They head out the classroom, arms pressed together.

“Hey.” Jongin breaks the silence, slowing his pace as they pass the ice cream shop a couple buildings away from their respective houses. Sehun looks up at the older distractedly. He'd been grateful for the quiet walk, desperately trying to avoid the cracks in the pavement with careful steps. “Want ice cream? Mom gave me extra money today.” He waggles his eyebrows comically and pats his pocket for emphasis.

Sehun snorts and shakes his head. “Can't. Gotta go to the orthodontist this week. Mom said no sweets.” He shrugs and continues walking, game long forgotten. Jongin catches up to him with heavy footsteps and a sigh. His house is right before Sehun's so he stops first, watching as the other continues on. Sehun finally turns to face him when he reaches his walkway and nods solemnly.

“Tomorrow.” He says. Jongin doesn't hear it. He just reads it off Sehun's pretty pink lips and nods dumbly, prompting a ghost of a smile to appear on Sehun's face before he disappears into his house.

 

****

 

“It'll be fun!” Chanyeol yells overly enthusiastic as ever. It reminds Jongin of his dogs and he cringes at the loudness of his friend’s voice.

“That's what you said last time.” Baekhyun helpfully points out, chocolate pudding from his spoon. Jongin nods in agreement and Sehun groans, slapping Chanyeol’s freakishly long arm off his shoulder without even looking up from the game he's engrossed in on his phone.

“I mean it this time.” Chanyeol pouts, batting his eyes at both Baekhyun and Jongin. Jongin looks away. He's too soft and would give in immediately. Baekhyun scoffs. Sehun sighs.

“Sorry but I've gotta go get my retainers removed this weekend. And Jongin is coming with me.” Sehun finally looks up and gives Jongin a pointed look.

“Oh off Sehun. Jongin isn't your dog. You always drag him along and make him do things he doesn't want to do. Your mother should be the one carrying you.” Baekhyun snaps.

Sehun's brows furrow, lips thinning and it's not an unusual expression for the youngest at the table but Jongin has practically lived with him all his life. He sees the stiffness in his posture and discomfort in his eyes. Their gazes meet and Jongin is at a loss for words. He hadn't expected this outburst from Baekhyun of all people. None of them had. He shrugs helplessly and Sehun's face turns stony. . “I wasn't aware that Jongin had his mouth in his own and was lacking basic common sense to be able to say no when he wants to but thanks for the information.” He bites back. With that, he stands and leaves the table.

“Tough crowd.” Baekhyun mutters, unaffected. Jongin, however, can feel his heartbeat pounding in his throat and his lunch churning dangerously in his stomach.

 

Their shared apartment is shrouded in darkness when he returns later that afternoon. Usually Sehun is at home on Thursday nights, curled up on the couch either doing work or watching tv and waiting for Jongin so they could order something. The uneasiness grows as Jongin toes off his shoes and heads over to Sehun's bedroom door. He knocks tentatively and waits for a response, none of which he receives so he opens the door to find the room empty. Frowning, he pulls out his phone and dials Sehun's number. The first call rings out to voicemail but the second one connects. Sehun's voice is thick with sleep when he answers with a heavy ‘what’.

Jongin wants to smile, fondness threatening to take over but he knows he's a little too frazzled for that right now. He just needs to know that Sehun is okay. That they're okay. He should have refuted Baekhyun’s claims. Jongin can very well say no when he wants to. He just never wants to when it comes to Sehun. He'd expected the younger to understand that but he'd underestimated Sehun's insecurity especially where their friendship was concerned. Of course to the outside eye it would look like he's always being pushed around by Sehun, always made to follow his orders. Sehun's arrogant stoic aura is half the reason and Jongin's weakness for the younger is the other factor. “You left.” He states. Sehun hadn't called or texted to say he was leaving. He always does that. He doesn't even know where the younger is now.

“Library.” Sehun replies with a sigh. There's the sound of a yawn and shifting, most likely the younger stretching. Jongin imagines him rubbing the sleep from his eyes, bathed in the soft white light above the study booth he’d reserved for the semester, books spread out across the desk and earbuds tucked into his ears.

“I'm coming.” Jongin replies automatically, already heading for the door. There's an unnaturally long pause before Sehun finally responds, jilted and unsure.

“You don't… have to if you don't want to.”

Jongin's grits his teeth so hard, his temples hurt. He's going to teach Baekhyun a lesson about manners. “I want to.” He responds and hangs up before Sehun can reply.

 

Jongin smiles at the library assistant and lifts his hands in acknowledgment. He'd have waved if he wasn't holding two steaming cups of coffee. Sehun is staring down at a thick mechanical engineering book before him, seemingly lost between the lines without being able to absorb any of the information. Jongin pulls the chair opposite the younger and seats himself, handing over Sehun's cup when he finally looks up. “Hi.” He greets softly. Their knees bump against each other beneath the table. Jongin subtly stretches out his leg, ankle brushing against the base of Sehun's calf.

He watches the way Sehun's eyes widen slightly at the intimate gesture before his posture relaxes as he lets out a heavy breath with a small smile. “Hi yourself.”

 

****

 

“Every time we Skype, you look worse than before. Do you really miss me that much?” Jongin teases, adjusting his laptop screen and running a hand through his air-dried hair.

Sehun scoffs and rolls his eyes, pulling the blanket higher up his chest. He's lying on his side, the laptop next to him on the bed. He doesn't even hide his exhaustion this time. “Working and finishing my degree at the same time is horrendous. Why did you make me accept this internship?” Sehun very nearly whines through their call. Jongin arches a brow in amusement. The younger is always so openly expressive and chatty when he's sleepy. They haven't skyped in over a week with both their schedules clashing. Jongin had been out on the field for his journalism final year project. He’d been lucky to have gotten some help from Chanyeol's sister, a news anchor and journalist. It's the weekend now but Sehun usually takes this time to catch up on his school work and his final year project.

“When you get the job or another one with the aid of this experience, you'll be showering me with praises.” Jongin replies lightly.

“I want to shower you with punches.”

Jongin wonders if he'll see Sehun for Christmas break. They usually both go home for the holidays but Sehun has been considering staying to get ahead in his work so he won't be playing catch up when his final semester starts. “Go to sleep, Sehuna.” Jongin sighs, his mood dramatically plummeting. Sehun gives him a questioning look and Jongin just shrugs even though the younger probably can’t see the movement through the pixelated screen. He doesn't want to end the call but Sehun needs his sleep.

“Tomorrow maybe?” Sehun questions faintly.

“Maybe.” Jongin replies. “I miss you.” He sighs. They don't say these things to each other. It's been months and they haven't gotten pass the light joking and teasing about the weight of each other's absence from their lives.

Sehun's eyebrows draw up a little and he pulls the blanket up to his nose, blocking his mouth. Jongin still hears when he mumbles a soft ‘I miss you too’.

 

****

 

“Merry Christmas!” Jongin yells when Sehun opens the door to his studio apartment.

“It's Boxing Day, what the . Why are you so loud?” Sehun frowns, crossing his arms over his bare chest. It's freezing outside but Sehun's apartment feels like a sauna.

“Where's your Christmas spirit?” Jongin mock pouts as he enters into t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter