SMTown

The Cunning and the Clumsy

SMTown is a small forest town in the Animal World. It is located in one of the most vibrant and prosperous forest districts. A ginormous mountain sat behind the town, with fresh mountain water flowing through, providing endless drinking water for the animals. The forest was full of berries and fruit trees, providing the herbivores with more than enough food to survive. The forest also provides the carnivores with a place to hunt and get food.

This prosperous town with bountiful baskets of food every meal was led by a duck with snow white feathers. He goes by the name, Leeteuk. Leeteuk was a white duck born in a yellow duck family. His family scorned, discriminated, and disowned him.

As he escaped from the grassland district to the forest district, Leeteuk encountered, Heechul, a black cat with red eyes. Heechul was once a witch's cat but was thrown out because he had hurt his leg and no longer able to jump around like it used to.

Along with Heechul, Leeteuk founded SMTown when they settled under the mountain, at a clearing near the river. They slowly expanded the town from a village. They only started out as a duo before more animals decided to join them and they created a small village.

In 500 years’ time, SMVillage has grown and expanded into SMTown, where families of different animals and creatures reside and call it their home.

"Leeteuk hyung! We're back from our mission!" A boy with smooth black hair that falls just above his eyes ran into the cave lit with candles. He wore a traditional aqua and white robe with a turquoise sash in the middle and white cotton pants beneath the robes. But he was barefooted.

"Good job Jongwoon. Where's the catch?" The man sitting behind a desk made of rock smiled at the excited boy.

"Kangin already delivered it to the warehouse," Jongwoon reported.

"Help me to thank him, will you?" Leeteuk, which is the founder of SMTown asked in a gentle tone.

After 100 years had passed, Leeteuk had managed to shift himself into human form, allowing him to be more mobile and efficient. He had platinum blond hair just like his feathers. Adorning his body was a clean white robe tied with a silver sash and white cotton pants under the robe. White boots covered his feet.

"Of course! See you later hyung!" Jongwoon grinned at the duck before running off on his two feet.

The cheerful turtle exited the cave which serves as the Town’s headquarters. He skipped his way along the dirt path, created by the footsteps of different animals and creatures.

“Morning Jongwoon oppa!” Seulgi, the baby bear sister of Kangin passed by and waved cheerily.

“Oh, Seulgi! Morning!” Jongwoon waved back with equal cheeriness.

“You went with Kangin oppa to get food supply earlier this morning right?” she asked.

“Yes! We just came back. Kangin should be in the warehouse by now.” I replied, grinning at her.

“Okay! I’ll go find him! Bye oppa! Drop by our house for lunch sometime!” Seulgi changed to her baby bear form and took off on her four stubby legs.

“She’s so cute.” The turtle cooed before going on his merry way. Jongwoon was going to hang around near the town border and relax near the river, where his house was, under the water. But when he closed in on his own river, he spotted a figure on the opposite side of the river, lying motionless on the pebbles and rocks.

“Hey!” Jongwoon jumped easily across the river and eyed the creature. It was a fox. But not an ordinary one. It had nine tails.

“Hae! Donghae!” Jongwoon called out to his fish neighbour, who was living further downstream. The turtle waited for a response for a few seconds, and all he got was a jump scare.

“BOO!” Jongwoon shrieked at the slightest touch on his shoulders.

“Not funny, Hae.” Jongwoon pouted and huffed.

“Sorry hyung, you’re so easy to tease. So, what do you want from me?” Donghae, who was wearing casual clothes, and apparently slacking at home, was wearing a light blue loose sleeves top and black cotton pants with an aqua sash tied in the middle. Similar to Jongwoon, the fish was barefooted.

“Did you not notice this bloody fox lying down here? I know you’re living downstream, but the blood smell is so strong!” Jongwoon pointedly gestured to the fox lying on the ground.

“I was having a nap hyung…” Donghae pouted, but quickly scanned the fox lying on the riverbank.

“It’s a nine-tailed fox hyung!” Donghae gaped at the golden tails splayed out behind the fox.

“That’s why I’m making such a big fuss!” Jongwoon sighed heavily.

“What do we do now hyung? Nine-tailed foxes are considered rare and legendary. But dangerous at the same time too! I heard that they can control the minds of animals! Just thinking about it makes me shiver.” Donghae starts rubbing his arms.

“Get Teuk hyung here.” Jongwoon ordered.

“Be right back!” Donghae chirped and he was gone in a flash.

Jongwoon stared at the bloody form before sighing and knelt. The turtle flipped the fox over to check on the injuries. There was an arrow shot to the fox’s left hindleg and one on the tail. Jongwoon bent down and sniffed.

“There’s toxin!” Jongwoon gasped when a pungent smell hit his nose from the gunshot gash.

“It’ll be too late for Sungmin to get here.” The turtle murmured to himself as he brought his hands up to the wound. A turquoise orb bloomed from his hands as he pushed it down to the wound. There was no protest or scream. The fox must be too unconscious to feel pain.

Jongwoon concentrated so much that sweat was dripping from his forehead. When the orb was halfway inside the fox’s body, the turtle started pulling out the orb. Slowly but surely, there were purple substances floating and swimming in the turquoise orb, with more piling up as the orb was pulled out.

“Jo-” Jongwoon heard the hesitancy and he knew Donghae and Leeteuk had arrived in record time. Donghae knew not to disturb the turtle when he was using this power. So, the fish and the duck stood at the sidelines instead.

As Jongwoon pulled the orb fully out, there was a ‘pop!’ sound and the toxic tiny arrow was extracted out of the fox’s body. Jongwoon released the orb as the toxic liquid and the arrow fell to the ground with a dull thud and a sizzling noise was heard when the poison touched the pebbles. The turtle continued to the next arrow and extracted the next one with more practised ease.

“Jongwoon.” Leeteuk called out when Jongwoon sighed and sat down on the ground with a deep sigh and wiped his sweat away.

“Hyung, what do we do now?” Jongwoon asked, breathing slightly heavily.

“Bring him to Sungmin.” Leeteuk answered.

“But won’t it startle the others?” Donghae questioned and Jongwoon nodded.

“They will know it eventually. We should not hide it from them. I’ll handle it. Don’t worry.” The duck smiled reassuringly before gesturing the fish and the turtle to start carrying the kitsune.

“We trust you hyung.” Donghae shared a knowing look with Jongwoon before hauling the fox up onto half his body before Jongwoon supported the other half.

Leeteuk led the river buddies through the town and straight to Sungmin’s burrow. Truth to be told, the other residents of SMTown were stealing glances at the nine-tailed fox in between Jongwoon and Donghae. There were many gossips and guesses going on but a glance from Leeteuk told them there will be an answer from him later.

Just before they enter Sungmin’s burrow, Heechul came running into Leeteuk.

“Teuk-ah! What’s going on?! Everyone’s talking about the nine-tailed fox! And it’s with you!” Heechul, the co-founder was wearing a black robe with red lining and a maroon sash around his waist. There were black padded boots on his feet, black cotton pants that were barely seen, and his raven hair shone in the sunlight.

“I’ll explain once we’re in. Sungmin!” Leeteuk replied as he called out for the Bunny Nurse. Soon enough, a milk chocolate brown bunny poked its head out of the burrow.

“Come in.” The bunny shifted into human form and gestured for them to enter. Sungmin, is the nurse of SMTown. He wears a brown and white robe with a dark brown sash and white cotton pants with brown boots.

Jongwoon and Donghae hauled the fox into the bunny’s burrow and dumped him onto the ground.

“Sungmin, treat him first. Heechul and I are going to settle on the uproar of the town first. I’ll check up on him later.” Leeteuk told the bunny and turned to the cat.

“No problem. Leave it to me hyung. You have more important things to do.” Sungmin nodded and the two founders left.

“Details?” Sungmin enquired as he pulled on some gloves made from leaves and started to examine the fox’s body.

“We found him on our riverbank. From what I have observed, he has been shot two times with concentrated mini toxic arrows. I’ve extracted both the arrows and toxins out, but I think there are still some residual.” Jongwoon reported.

“That’s good, hyung. If you didn’t extract them out and moved him here first, the toxic arrows might have move inside his body and caused even more damage.” Sungmin praised the turtle after pressing a few muscle parts.

“He was lucky to be found by you!” Donghae quipped in.

“Hehehe…” Jongwoon blushed an embarrassed light shade of red.

“He’ll be fine after I perform a surgery on him,” Sungmin assured as he grinned with his bunny tooth.

“Oh no. I’m so not going to watch this.” Donghae shut his eyes and turned around.

“I’m just glad the fox is unconscious.” Jongwoon sweat dropped and spun around.

Donghae and Jongwoon tried to tune out the disturbing noises of meat tearing apart but Sungmin had made it especially loud this time, considering his patient was unconscious to a point where he can’t feel pain.

“I can’t believe you’re the nurse of our town, Minnie.” Jongwoon deadpanned.

“Lucky to have me here! I’m done by the way!” Sungmin chuckled when both of them spun around with shocked faces.

“That was fast!” Donghae gasped. They thought they would be witnessing a bloody scene and gory meat laying around, but everything was spick and span, including the fox’s wound, which was bandaged cleanly.

“My bunny teeth are efficient okay.” Sungmin pointed out proudly.

“Can’t deny.” Jongwoon shrugged.

“I’ll keep him here until he wakes up. I’ll notify both of you and Leeteuk hyung when it happens.” Sungmin plucked out his gloves and threw them into the stack of fire nearby.

“Thanks, Sungmin. We appreciate it.” Jongwoon smiled, and prepared to leave, taking one last glance at the fox.

“Thanks, hyung!” Donghae chirped before pulling Jongwoon away from the burrow and shouting about getting some food for lunch before finding Leeteuk.

*.*

After feasting on some fish Jongwoon and Kangin caught in the morning, the river buddies met up with Leeteuk and Heechul.

“Hyung! Did you affirm everyone?” Jongwoon asked and took a seat on a large rock near the pond, where Leeteuk’s house was. The turtle chuckled when Donghae leapt into the pond and turned into a fish, jetting around like an excited child.

“Yeah. I told Siwon to spread the word around here and Ryeowook to spread it to those that are living above ground.” Leeteuk nodded.

“Are you sure it’ll be fine to nurse the fox back to health? What if it betrays us? I heard from the witch last time that nine-tailed foxes are stronger than average animals, and they live longer too. They are arrogant, self-centred, and antisocial.” Heechul, who was sitting cross-legged under the rock pointed out.

“That sounds a lot like you, hyung.” Donghae poked his head out of the pond water and quipped, now in his human form but .

“False.” Heechul’s ruby eyes glowed and snarled, causing Donghae to drop his head beneath the water in a hurry.

“We have to set a good example for the younger ones. But it’s not a good example if we show that we are too trusting. Nature can be cruel.” Leeteuk said, interrupting Donghae’s poking fun of the cat. Luckily Heechul was too fond of Donghae to make him his lunch.

“I will evaluate him when the fox wakes up,” Leeteuk concluded his stand.

“Leeteuk hyungnim!!!” Suddenly a baby bear broke out of the woods and faced the four.

“Seulgi? What’s the rush?” Leeteuk tilted his head to the side.

“I was visiting Sungmin oppa to share with him my new-found honey spot when oppa screamed at me to find you!” Seulgi panted as she shifted to human form. Her chestnut hair framed her small innocent face nicely. She wore a long brown and pink robe that almost touched the ground with a cherry coloured sash around her waist.

“The fox must have woken. Let’s go!” Leeteuk’s eyes hardened and ordered the rest to follow him.

"Oppa…?” Seulgi blinked her eyes when her ‘older brothers’ disappeared with a blink of her eye.