Oneshot

Playing Favorites

It started with a video sent to Sehun’s phone.

He was working late that night, preparations for the new album in full swing made this more of a common occurrence than he would like. He wanted nothing more than to cuddle up with you and Vivi. So when he saw your name flash up on his phone, he smiled and opened the message. He played the video attachment and watched a short video of Vivi tugging on a rope toy with you. Another text message accompanied the video.

We miss you, it said. Come home soon.

He got up from his spot on the floor with renewed vigor. The faster he nailed this down, the faster he could come home to you and Vivi.

It was incredibly late when he came back home. He sighed when he found most of the lights off. Only a vague glow illuminated the room, casting the apartment in a soft glow.

“Kirsty?” he asked, only to be met with silence. You must have gone to bed already.

He walked further into the apartment and found that the lamp in the living room was still on, next to it he found you sitting in the chair next to it with a book limply in one of your hands. On your lap was Vivi, who had perked up and was sitting in your lap, tail thumping your thigh. He grinned and grasped lifted Vivi from your lap. The motion startled you awake, calming down once you saw Sehun holding Vivi in front of you, petting him.

“You just come home?” you asked, sleep still coloring your voice. “Have you eaten?”

Sehun nodded. “Had a late dinner with the hyungs.”

You rubbed your eyes and yawned. “Okay. You can eat the thing in the fridge tomorrow then,” you mumbled, still sleepy.

He set Vivi down on the floor and brushed loose hair from your face. “You didn’t have to wait up for me,” he said softly.

You shrugged. “I wanted to.”

He gently grasped your hand and led you to bed. You both settled next to each other, with you falling back asleep instantly. Sehun stared at your sleeping face before he, too, fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Life continued on like that for the next few weeks, bringing about terrible consequences that he would not have foreseen.

Night after night, Vivi grew more and more reluctant to leave your side. He preferred to stay in your lap rather than be picked up by Sehun. When he snuck into bed with the two of you, he would curl up closer to you than with Sehun. Vivi would whine whenever Sehun took him away from you, and when he was put down again, he would run right back to your side.

.

.

.

.

.

There was an unpleasant feeling that grew with each passing day. It came to a head on one of his rare days off.

He was laying down on the couch, watching any random thing that was on the TV. However, his constant companion—a certain dog of his that would sleep on his chest during such channel surfing ventures—was absent. Vivi, instead, remained curled up in your lap as you typed away on your laptop. Your hair sticking out of your ponytail as you stressed over your latest chapter that you had to send to your editor in three hours Sehun, why did I wait so long to start this? Every once in a while, you would sigh and pet the top of Vivi’s head. And the er was just lapping up the attention.

Sehun glared, at you or Vivi, he wasn’t sure.

“Kirsty,” he whined from the couch. “Come be lazy with me.”

You kept typing away, not looking up from your screen. “Sorry, Sehun. I still have 2,000 words left in this chapter but once I’m done I promise to cuddle the absolute heck out of you.”

Sehun frowned at your response. “Vivi? Do you want to come cuddle with me while we watch TV?”

Vivi remained on your lap, blinking at Sehun and making no indication to move to join him.

The unpleasant feeling boiled over with full force and he threw himself off the couch with a grunt. “I see how it is,” he growled. He stomped towards the bedroom and slammed the door shut for good measure. He collapsed into the bed and wrapped himself in the blankets until he was cocooned.

Outside, you looked down at Vivi in your lap. He gave you a low whine and you sighed and pet him again. “Let me finish this sentence and we will fix our favorite boy.”

.

.

.

.

.

Sehun sighed from under the covers, attempting to hide away from the world. A deep frown was set on his face, wondering how exactly he got to this point, how he was losing his precious dog and his girl to each other.

He didn’t protest when the blanket was lifted from his face and was met with the confused face of Vivi, being held in front of his girlfriend’s face.

Sehun frowned deeper.

“Papa,” you said in a high pitched voice from behind Vivi. “Why are you so upset?”

“What are you doing?” he asked bluntly.

Kirsty lowered Vivi only enough to where he saw your eyes. “I have no clue what you’re talking about, sweet boyfriend Sehun. I only see you and Vivi having a conversation.”

Sehun bit his bottom to stop a smile from coming out. There was no way he was going to reward you for being so cute. “You’re being ridiculous.”

Kirsty huffed. “I’m being a good girlfriend, is what I am. Now, I’m sure Vivi would like to finish your conversation.” She lifted Vivi back up to her face, blinking innocently at him.

“Papa,” ‘Vivi’ urged. “You never answered my question!”

Sehun sighed, giving in. “I’m upset because I feel like you love Kirsty more than you love me.”

‘Vivi’ gasped. “Papa, you know that isn’t true!”

Sehun frowned again. “But you always like cuddling with her and you’re always in her lap.”

‘Vivi’ hummed and brought a paw to his chin in a thinking pose. “Maybe it seems that way because Kirsty and I miss you so much. It gets so lonely here whenever you’re away or when you stay at work late. We bonded over time and we like each other now.” At Sehun’s silence, ‘Vivi’ continued. “Just because we get along now doesn’t mean I love you less. I still love you the most. You’re the best dog dad any dog could ever ask for!”

As if on cue, Vivi whined and started to scooch closer to Sehun. He smiled and reached out to pet his dog. Vivi’s tail wagged under the attention.

“I love you the most too, Vivi,” he said with a smile. Unbeknownst to him, his girlfriend rolled his eyes from behind the dog.

“What about Kirsty?” ‘Vivi’ asked. “Do you forgive her too?”

“Maybe,” Sehun smirked. “If she gives me a kiss.”

Suddenly, Kirsty lowered Vivi to the bed, a scowl on her face. “I refuse, then.”

He looked at you with furrowed brows. “Wait. Why?”

“I don’t negotiate with brats,” you huffed and turned around, set on leaving the room until you felt a strong pair of arms wrap around your waist.

“Come back, I’ve missed you all day,” he whined in your ear.

You crossed your arms, trying to ignore how comfortable you felt when he was wrapped around you. “That’s your fault for sulking in the room all day. I’m tired from being the moderator between you and Vivi. I’m going to go to a place where I don’t have to deal with whiny babies.” You attempted to move forward but Sehun just squeezed tighter.

“But if you leave, then I’ll be a heartbroken whiny baby,” Sehun pouted. “So you’re just gonna have to deal with it.”

A loud whine emitted from the bed and the both of you turned around to see Vivi looking in between the two of you.

Sehun turned back to you with a smile. “See? Even Vivi agrees with me!”

You sighed. “Fine, I’ll stay, but—”

You yelped as you were abruptly cut off by Sehun putting his arm under your legs and carrying you bridal style back to the bed. The both of you settled on the bed with Vivi in between you. You sighed and scratched behind Vivi’s ears.

You looked up and locked eyes with Sehun. The shininess in his eyes screamed adoration. Vivi got up and left your touch in order to snuggle closer to Sehun.

You snorted. “Looks like you’re still the favorite.”

A grin gave away his unrestrained happiness. “And all is right with the world again.” He looked at you and frowned. “I’m sorry for acting so childish earlier. I really am happy that you and Vivi are becoming close. You and Vivi are two of my favorite things in the whole universe.”

You smiled. “I would ask which one of us is your most favorite but part of me is worried that I’ll be beaten by a dog.”

Sehun pressed his lips together to bite back his laughter. “Maybe it’s best you don’t ask.”

You nodded solemnly. “Some questions aren’t meant to be answered.”

He moved closer to you, careful not to disturb Vivi. “I really am sorry for acting childish though. Can you forgive me?”

You laughed and leaned forward to kiss him. “Ask me again after a few more of those.”

He happily obliged.

.

.

.

.

.

Bonus:

“Where are your bandmates on this short list of things you love in the universe?”

“Collectively, they’re a distant third.”