1. our meeting

all of our years


1. 

 

 

 

Friends. 

That’s what they were. 

Long-time friends. 

 

 

Ever since the awkward pre-teen meeting at the old YG dance practice room. The same room that the infamous Big Bang members had trained in. 

 

A lanky young kid enters the practice room with an oversized T shirt. He scratches his head as he awkwardly bows and says ‘hi?’ to a fresh-faced young girl who was also draped in baggy hip-hop clothes from head to toe. 

 

The girl had only become a trainee a few months earlier too and was relieved to know that she wasn’t the newbie anymore. Peeking from under her long hair that was draped over her face, she quietly greets:


“Hi, I’m Jennie.”

 

“Hanbin” the boy mutters as he avoids eye contact. He was never good with new people. 

 

 

Both are quickly ushered by the staff to quickly become acquainted before the two are left in the practice rooms by themselves.

They slowly exchange glances and awkward tentative smiles.

 

So this is the big shot that was recruited without an official audition, Jennie thinks to herself. He seemed just like any other trainee, awkward, not fully grown into his own body yet, as she sized the rumoured trainee up. 

 

The staff quickly come back and their lunch arrives. The two gather at the centre of the dance practice floor and start feasting on the two bowls of black bean noodles. Jennie finishes her share in lightning speed, the combination of the stranger and the fact that she hadn’t eaten all day did not help. 

 

 

‘Have more’, Hanbin says as he scoops a chunk into the other’s bowl, offering Jennie more noodles from his own bowl. 

‘I ate before I came’ Hanbin lies through his teeth as his stomach lets out a large groan in protest. The boys’ ears grow crimson red in colour and he scratches his nape in embarrassment. 

 

 

Jennie’s eyes widen at the sound… and laughs, heartily.

She still accepts the offer. 

 

 

I like this guy. 

 

 

Their eyes meet over their noodle bowls and their cautious smiles slowly turn into something solid…  shared …. and somehow, possibly, they both thought, lasting. 

 


“Let’s start over, I'm Jennie, let's be friends”

“I'm Hanbin” he replies with a sheepish smile. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Their first impressions of each other remain resonant til this day.