What are the odds...

Return to Sender

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     424d7015cabcc70605f93670fa51eacd.gif

 

Brian sat in the practice room, thumbing through a stack of papers. Around him, the other members of Day6 were doing the same. Their company had come up with the idea of filming a reality show, with each member going to a different location for a short vacation with a fan. The fans were to submit a short essay on why they thought they should win, and what they wanted to do in the selected country while they were there. Today was the day the members were to choose the winning essay. Originally the staff was going to choose, but the boys thought it'd be fun and more personal if they read through the essays themselves and selected the winners.

They'd spent the entire evening reading through the piles, and many of the responses were the same...

"I think I should win because I've been a fan since day 1..."

"I've supported Day6 since debut...i'm their biggest fan.."

and on and on. 

There was nothing wrong with that, but Brian was looking for something a little deeper.

Approaching midnight, Brian had finally found the one.

While I don't think I deserve this trip more than anyone else, I'd really love to explore a new country with my favorite member. I've always wanted to travel but being in my 2nd year at uni makes that near impossible at the moment, and Switzerland has been on my bucket list for years. While in Switzerland I'd love to explore the country together whether that be on land, train or by air, and enjoy experiences together that I can't have here in the U.S. I'd love to see the Alps, ride a minecart through the green hills, stay in a small village in the mountains, experience some of the customs and foods of this beautiful country, and maybe even watch a marvel movie in the hotel with some nachos one night (totally has nothing to do with Switzerland I know, but I always thought this would be a fun date with YoungK).  All of this while getting to know YoungK better and learning more about his compassion for composing and what that process looks like. Though I obviously don't know him in person, I feel like we have much in common as far as interests (marvel, and nachos, hello!) and life experiences (uni and difficult relationships). 

Brian smiled. She was humble, didn't believe herself to be above anybody else, and he liked the ideas she had for their time in Switzerland. He could also identify with the difficulties of Uni, and he already liked her sense of humor. He took the essay in his hand and handed it to his manager. "This one."

*****************

Chloe swiveled in her chair, lightly tapping her pencil on the notebook in front of her. Music videos played on her computer screen but she'd long since tuned them out. It was the end of finals week and she could almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. 2 left and then she was off for a month. She set her pencil down and stretched in her chair, rolling her neck as it had become stiff being bent over the desk the past few hours. She heard the door open and her head turned in its direction.

"Still at it? Gawd, I'm surprised your brain hasn't melted yet." her roommate teased as she entered the dorm they shared.

"Mm," Chloe grunt in response, tucking a strand of her long brown hair behind her ear.

"How many do you have left?" she asked.

"Two. How about you?"

"Just finished my last one."

"Lucky," Chloe scowled.

Friends since freshman year of high school, the two had entered the same college and opted to live on campus in a shared dorm together. They were as different as could be, with Krysta being the party type, extroverted, and unorganized, whereas Chloe kept to herself, had no interest in parties and clubs and prefered to curl up with a book or watch a movie at home. She did love to get out and explore though, and if given the chance, would love to travel the world, learning about different cultures and experience them first hand.

"Well, I'm going to shower, then I'm heading out with that cute guy from chem class."

Chloe rolled her eyes. "Which one? You've pointed out like three at least."

"The one that looks like Mark from Got7."

Chloe scrunched up her face. "That's an insult to Mark, he's a lot better looking than that," she mumbled to herself. 

"Wanna come along? He has a cute roomie!"

"No thanks," Chloe replied without hesitation. Frankly, Chloe felt her roommate needed to spend more time studying and less time partying but, whatever. So long as she wasn't bringing the parties home, Chloe didn't really care.

"Ugh, seriously, are you ever going to date again?"

"Krysta, I will if-"

"and when the right guy comes along." Krysta finished for her. "I know. You do realize that in order to find Mr. Right you're going to have to actually get out of this room once in a while, right?"

Chloe ignored her, returning to her notebook and Krysta shrugged, knowing the conversation was over. 

After a couple of minutes, Chloe heard the water turn on in the bathroom they shared. "I'll leave this room once there's something worth leaving it for," she muttered aloud.

Just then, Chloe's phone rang, startling her. 

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this...Chloe?" asked a female voice with a heavy accent.

"Yes, this is Chloe."

"Congratulations, you have won a trip with Day6 YoungK to Switzerland..."

Chloe didn't really hear the rest.

"Krysta, is that you?" she interrupted, "You really are a you know that?"

"No, this is not Krysta this is.."

The woman went on, and Chloe could hear Krysta singing in the shower.

So it wasn't Krysta playing a joke on her after all.

"You're...You're serious?" Chloe asked the woman.

"Yes, I promise this is not a joke, I'm very serious."

Her eyes shot up to the Day6 poster on the wall above her desk. Was this really happening right now? What were the chances?

She'd only entered the contest because Krysta had tagged her in the contest post on Instagram, and had repeatedly asked her if she'd entered until she finally did. Never in a million years had she actually expected to win. She'd totally put the contest out of her mind and had completely forgotten about it until just now.

"Your flight will leave on..." the woman on the phone continued and Chloe snapped out of it, grabbing a pen and jotting notes as the woman gave her information on dates and flight and the other fine details. As the call ended Chloe thanked her, her mind still trying to wrap itself around what was actually happening.

She set her phone down and looked at the notes she'd written.

Her flight was set for 2 weeks from today! 

She realized she'd been holding her breath and exhaled. 2 weeks...

In two weeks, she'd be in Switzerland with YoungK!

She pressed her palms to her cheeks. Traveling...in another country...with YoungK...spending 6 days together...and it was all going to be filmed.

FILMED! As in...on tv, for everyone else to see!

"Ack!" she cried, leaning over to look at the mirror. All this staying up late and eating crap while studying late into the night had done no favors for her skin. 

 

A few minutes later, Krysta came out of the bathroom towel drying her hair to find Chloe in their room, wearing a face mask while pulling a set of luggage out from under her bed.

"Was it something I said?" she asked, staring at the luggage. "You know I was only teasing you right, It's totally okay if you want to stay in tonight, I get it..."

Slowly Chloe's eyes came up from the floor and met Krysta's. She half laughed, half cried as reality sunk in.

"Are you okay?" Krysta asked, concerned now. "Have you finally gone off your rocker? I told you to take a break from studying..."

"I can't believe it..." was all Chloe had to say.

"Where are you going?" Krysta asked exasperated.

Chloe's face turned to a smile as she began to squeal. "Switzerland apparently!"