Chapter 1

My Muse

A/N: KJSDFAK OOMF TOLD ME I LEFT OUT THE FIRST HALF OF THE FIC HHHH

A loud creak could be heard when the door opened, revealing nothing more than a typical room fit for a princess. The room smelt like you were walking through a garden, different fragrances mixed together to create one calming scent that helps the princess relax after a long day. On one side of the room there was a bed that could probably fit a family of five, a night stand right beside, and right across was a “dressing area” where maids would help her get ready for special occasions.

 

Everything was there, except the princess herself. The maid sighs, already knowing where the young woman is. She closes the door, and makes her way towards the flight of stairs leading towards the library. It wasn’t just any library, it was the princess’ own private library — where she could study, read, relax, and have her own space. It was built by her father, the main purpose was for Dawon to get her own private teachers instead of having to go to school like everyone else. In other words, Dawon was homeschooled. But, as the young miss graduated, it soon turned into her second bedroom — the place had couches, desks, chairs, and even a fireplace for the cold winter. 

 

The maid makes her way towards the windows and pulls the string to open the curtains, letting the morning light brighten up the dim-lit room. You could see dust particles fly about as she opened all the curtains in the room. 

 

A groan was heard right beside her, followed by a yawn.

 

“Good morning Minji-tti,” 

 

The maid chuckles and greets the princess.

 

“Good morning, Dawon-ah. I see you’re studying well?”

 

And the maid was right, Dawon was there. Books stacked on the table, with sheets of paper stuck in between pages, and a cup of unfinished tea beside her.

 

Dawon stretches her sore arms and breaks out another yawn before replying to Minji’s question.

 

“Yes, I am. I spent the whole night learning about the mining industry of the Wuju Kingdom. The has been various complaints from the people and the workers for the past few days — though I’m still not sure what the problem is — I decided to read up on it to give myself some background knowledge.” 

 

Dawon explains as she tidies up her space. She separated the books and papers neatly — bookmarking the page she left off.

 

“Alright. Shall we go down and get breakfast, Minji-tti?”

 

Minji smiles, one that was like Dawon’s mother — who passed away after a few months prior to Dawon’s 5th birthday. She had watched Dawon grow up to be a young, intelligent, kind, and caring woman, it brings tears into her eyes to see her grow up well.

 

“You know, out of all the princesses I’ve encountered, you my dear, is the most hardworking one I have ever met. The kingdom is in great hands,” 

 

Minji takes Dawon’s hands into her own. The maid remembers how she would warm up Dawon’s small hands in hers when she was younger because she didn’t want to wear gloves — the princess was a stubborn child sometimes. But now her hands are bigger than Minji’s, yet the softness never faded away.

 

“You’re going to be a great queen, Dawon-ah. I know that,” The wrinkles on Minji’s eyes shown as she gave Dawon a genuine smile.

 

The young princess fights back the tears threatening to fall at this moment, and just nods.

 

“Thank you, Minji-tti.”

 

She was glad to have someone like Minji in her life. Dawon really needed to hear that, especially at this time of the year.

 

-

 

The sound of metal hitting the ground stirs Luda in her sleep, thinking that one of her siblings dropped a pan while cooking. But, when she heard the sound of barking followed by another sound of metal hitting the cement floor, she jumped out of bed and went straight to the shop — which was just below their single-floored house.

 

What Luda wasn’t expecting was her dog chasing a mouse around the shop — with sharp tools laying around carelessly.

 

“Banggu!” Luda’s loud voice caught the dog by surprise causing him to collide with one of the chairs, letting the mouse run off and hide in one of the cracks of the walls.

 

Luda let’s out a deep sigh and picks up the dog, and makes him look at her in the eye.

 

“What am I going to do with you,” Luda shakes her head while Banggu smiles and her face, glad that his owner is finally awake.

 

“Hm, Juyeon should be coming at this time. Let’s open the shop!” 

 

Luda puts Banggu down and gives him his breakfast before flipping the close sign to the open sign, and opens the window — letting the smell of metal out. 

 

It was still quiet, considering that it was eight in the morning, the children should be up right now. 

 

The door of the store busts open, snapping Luda out of her daze. 

 

“Morning, shortie. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed again?”

 

Hearing that familiar high — annoying — voice early in the morning made the shorter girls head ache, but hearing that annoying voice also means she has breakfast for the both of them and important news to tell her.

 

“I slept pretty well Juyeon thanks for asking, but I’d rather not wake up to my dog chasing around a rat in the shop so early in the morning.” She replies, pulling up a seat for the younger girl so they can eat by the window.

 

Son Juyeon, Luda’s childhood best friend. Their shops were right across each other — Juyeon’s family owned a bakery, while Luda’s owned a weaponry shop. They were a weird pair; Luda was a year older than Juyeon, Luda was shorter than Juyeon, and compared to Luda, Juyeon was definitely the more outgoing one. Nonetheless, they remained friends who visited each other frequently — well Juyeon was always the one visiting, since Luda was always busy helping the family and her dad with the shop.

 

“So, what’s the good news?” Luda asks, taking a bite of the warm bread.

 

Juyeon stops chewing and turns towards her friend with a grin and jam on the corners of .

 

Luda shakes her head and motions for the younger girl to wipe before she spoke.

 

“I’m going to be a knight for the royalty.”

 

The bread Luda was about to swallow hot caught in , sending her into a coughing fit.

 

“W-what?!” Confusion was written all over the brunette’s face.

 

“The king said he was looking for female guards for the princess, so I tried it out — there were more skilled women there so I didn’t think I’d make the cut, but one of the servants knocked on our door and next thing you know I was training at the castle. That’s why I was gone for a month,” Juyeon explains.

 

“The royals aren’t as bad as you think they are, Luda. They’re doing their best, and I think the princess will actually help improve the kingdom,” Juyeon says as she takes another bite of her food.

 

Luda grins at Juyeon’s statement.

 

“Everyone has been saying the same bull, yet nothing has changed,” she grabs another slice of bread. “also you’re only saying that ‘cuz you think the princess is cute,”

 

It was Juyeon’s turn to choke on her food.

 

“I won’t be surprised if that was the reason you applied for that knight position in the first place."