one

idiot

“yeah, right, dogface!”

 

“shut your mouth! go back to the dumpster you came from!”

 

their teammates rolled their eyes at the two bickering loudly. it wasn’t like it was anything new.

 

“you’re just upset that we crushed you last time! absolutely! crushed!” yujin shouted with her fists balled up at her sides.

 

“yeah, well what about the time we crushed you in volleyball? huh? forget about that?” wonyoung yelled back with her arms crossed angrily.

 

any bystander would be able to see the flames flaring around them both. they went at this every single time--calling each other silly names and taunting the other. if you asked anyone, they’d say that they’ve never seen them not shouting at each other.

 

it probably all started in their second year of middle school. it was the first time the two had faced off the other, and, evidently, it wasn’t the last. after that match that ended with both of them with their backs turned to each other, face red with hatred (yujin had won that time, by the way), they had been put in the same situation over and over again for the past three years. any interaction outside of the gym was mainly from glares and eyerolls.

 

“yujin! get your over here!” her teammate called from the side, beckoning the huge puppy over with a hand.

 

“prepare to cry, loser,” yujin says snarkily before turning around and running towards her teammate.

 

wonyoung huffs and intensifies her glare. she thinks that if she tries hard enough, she can burn holes into that insufferable, idiotic loser. yeah, that’s right, she was the loser, not wonyoung.

 

how about you prepare to cry, idiot.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“hah! in your face, you stupid dog-face!” wonyoung cries out in victory as the time runs out. the intense match of basketball had just ended, and the two trees had certainly wrestled it out on the court. almost literally, in fact.

 

“shut up! you got lucky!” yujin seethes as her teammates console her while trying to hide their amusement.

 

yujin watched with squinted eyes as wonyoung celebrated with her teammates. looking at her now, she has a more happy smile rather than the arrogant smirked she wore when addressing yujin. yujin can’t help but stare a little bit.

 

stupid, stupid trashcan. stupid. stupid! she just got lucky that time. it’s whatever. she’s whatever.

 

she has to grit her teeth to keep from smiling at the sight of wonyoung cheering with her teammates.

 

stupid.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

yujin had stayed out longer than she intended, but it was fine. it was nice out, anyways, even though the air was a bit frigid.

 

she hummed as she strolled along, pursing her lips as her stomach grumbled loudly.

 

guess i’ll stop by the convenience store then.

 

as she finishes paying for her noodles and two-pack of sugar cookies, she notices someone familiar swinging their legs as they sat staring out the window of the store. she’d know that back anywhere; afterall, she had glared at it pretty much every day for the past three years.

 

it was late, and she was in a pretty good mood, and everything just felt a little special and nice, so she walked right up to the girl and sat right down.

 

the girl stilled her swinging legs and looked at yujin with a raised eyebrow. her head only turned enough to glance at yujin out of the corner of her eye.

 

neither of them says a thing as wonyoung continues to eat her noodles and yujin begins her own. wonyoung just continues to swing her legs and stare outside as yujin sets hers against the stool.

 

“did you come here to fight me or something?” wonyoung mumbles after swallowing a mouthful of noodles.

 

yujin snorts and rolls her eyes.

 

maybe it’s that special feeling in the air right now, but instead of retorting snarkily, yujin holds out her fist and says, “good game.”

 

she quirks up one side of her lips in a little smirk as she shakes her fist a little bit, waiting for wonyoung to return the gesture.

 

wonyoung stares at the fist in front of her for a few moments before softly tapping yujin’s fist with her own.

 

yujin smiles a bit more widely as she sets her hand down and turns towards her pack of cookies. after plopping one into , she wordlessly hands the other to wonyoung, eyes still staring straight ahead at the cars passing by outside.

 

wonyoung tilts her head in curiosity at the offering but accepts with another raised eyebrow.

 

they both eat in silence once more, just looking out at the world around them while being fully aware of this funny situation.

 

“you’re really good,” wonyoung mumbles quietly as she sets her elbows on the counter and sets her chin on her intertwined hands.

 

yujin is surprised at the compliment, but a really happy sort of a surprised.

 

“i know,” she replies solemnly while nodding and setting her lips in a thin line, showing her dimples.

 

wonyoung sees the expression from the corner of her eye and can’t help but think about how cute the older girl is, much to her dismay.

 

for an idiot, anyways.

 

“you’re not supposed to agree, geez. so much for modesty,” wonyoung says as she slaps yujin lightly on the shoulder.

 

yujin chuckles lightly at the contact, rubbing her shoulder in mock pain with a pout.

 

“i live a life of honesty and integrity.”

 

wonyoung snorts and rolls her eyes, getting up to throw away her trash and head out.

 

after entering the cold air and walking for a minute, she stops and turns around.

 

she narrows her eyes at the girl that had been walking behind her.

 

“stop following me,” she says as she crosses her arms and narrows her eyes further.

 

“you’re weak and clumsy, so it would be bad for my reputation if i let you get robbed in the middle of the night,” yujin shrugs.

 

“no you.”

 

“no you.

 

wonyoung puffs out her cheeks (cutely, yujin thinks) and sharply turns back around, continuing her walk back home.

 

“suit yourself.”

 

they spend the entire walk back in silence, but this time yujin walks right beside her. it was pretty odd, the lack of screaming. wonyoung can’t say that she hates it though. neither of them are aware of the other sneaking quick glances at the other. both of them blame the cold for the slight redness on their cheeks.

 

when wonyoung reaches her house and sets her hand on the doorknob, she looks back and sees yujin standing there with her hands in her jacket pocket, waiting for wonyoung to head inside. yujin blinks at her and tilts her head with a little grin and wave.

 

wonyoung sighs as she opens the door. she smiles back shyly.

 

“bye, yujin.”

 

with that, she heads inside and shuts the door.

 

yujin is rooted in place. wonyoung had never called her by her name before, especially with a smile like that. she never cared much for her name, but coming off of wonyoung’s lips--it sounded like a wonderful song. she cringes slightly at the thought but doesn’t stop the smile spreading across her face. she rubs the back of her neck in embarrassment. she can’t help herself from fist pumping slightly into the air.

 

wonyoung laughs lightly from where she’s watching her through the window, rolling her eyes at the silly girl.

 

“what a loser”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“we creamed you in soccer last time! don’t even pretend you stood a chance!”

 

“oh please, that was only because i had a sore ankle!”

 

wonyoung flips her hair over her shoulder and huffs, bringing up a hand to flick yujin’s forehead.

 

“hey!” yujin whines, bringing her hands up to her forehead.

 

wonyoung turns around and heads towards her teammates. she calls out to yujin over her shoulder.

 

“prepare to lose terribly, yujin.”

 

yujin grins.

 

“you’re on, wonyoung.”

 

she feels a little brave.

 

she calls back at her.

 

“if we win, you have to get ice cream with me!”

 

wonyoung’s eyes widen and she stops in her tracks. she smiles stupidly at the ground.

 

“if we win, you have to get noodles with me!” she yells back without turning around.

 

yujin’s grin widens.

 

“you’re on.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“you should pay because you lost.”

 

“shut up before i smite you.”

 

“i’m just saying--”

 

“yujin, shut up and eat your ice cream.”

 

she smiles cheekily and taps wonyoung on the nose.

 

“okay, okay, wonyoungie, no need to get testy now.”

 

wonyoung is used to glaring at yujin like this.

 

but the smile on her face is something new (but she secretly hopes that there will be more).

 

“idiot.”