some

it seems like we're lovers (but we're not)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I

 

"Seriously, Park Soobin? Why did you feel the urge to use my favorite sweater when you have, like, a variety of sweaters on your own closet?"

 

"Good morning to you too, sunshine." Soobin answered sarcastically, her signature snobby smile plastered on her face. Sojung groaned and muttered something under her breath — it sounded an awful lot like a curse word — before taking a sit besides the sweater thief.

 

"Because of you I have to wear... well, this," Sojung gestured to the old and slightly tight purple sweater her sister bought her five years ago. "Isn't it great?"

 

Soobin chuckled loudly and Jiyeon, who was sitting right in front of them with her girlfriend, was doing her best not to break in a guffaw too. Hyunjung looked unamused as she munched on her banana bread.

 

"Sweetie. Fits you perfectly." The eldest spoke up, pointing to the foreign writing on Sojung's sweater. The woman in question could only roll her eyes, unwrapping her chicken sandwich without much excitement.

 

Sojung took one bite. Then another one. And without realizing her eyes found their way to the figure sitting beside her. She looks cute with my sweater, the student thought. But it's not like i'm going to let her know about this.

 

"Why do you like wearing my clothes so much?" Sojung asked and even thought she still sounded (and was) annoyed, the question was out of genuine curiosity.

 

"Just because." Soobin shrugged. "It might be because they're comfortable? And they smell like you, so it feels nice."

 

Butterflies were flying all over Sojung's stomach and Soobin's confession might have made her feel lightheaded and a little bit dizzy, but she did her best to hide it.

 

On the other hand, Soobin could only keep a devilish smirk on her face. "I'd give it back to you right now, but i'm wearing nothing but my bra under it."

 

Sojung choked on her own saliva while Hyunjung and Jiyeon could only glance at them with disgusted looks on their faces. "Too much information. Too much," Jiyeon complained in a high pitched voice.

 

The orange haired woman faked a cough and put on the annoyed act one more time. "First of all, that's gross. Second, I want him back by the end of the day. Make sure to wash it."

 

"Yes, ma'am." Soobin gave her a thumbs up and went back to savoring her breakfast (a large cup of latte can be considered a breakfast, right?) as if nothing happened.

 

To Sojung and Soobin the incident was, in fact, nothing out of the ordinary. Most people around them seemed to have a hard time trying to understand how their dynamics worked, though, leading the two friends to be often mistaken as—

 

"Girlfriends. You guys really, really look and act like girlfriends. Have I ever mentioned this before?" Hyunjung questioned as she gritted her teeth around her banana bread for one last time.

 

"Yes Hyunjung, like, a hundred times," Sojung answered lazily, resting her chin over her palm. "And it's ridiculous. Why would I ever date miss spawn of satan?"

 

Soobin punched Sojung's shoulder as a form of protesting against the unpleasant nickname. The older one winced in pain, glaring down at the woman who almost broke her bones in a million pieces. The latter didn't even flinch.

 

"Whatever you say," Hyunjung spoke in a mocking tone Sojung knew way too well, and all she wanted to do was to wipe that stupid grin off of her face with a punch. A kick would do a pretty good job, too. "Me and Jiyeon have to go to class now. Behave and try not to kill each other while we're out, we really can't afford paying for a funeral now."

 

Jiyeon mumbled something along the lines of you guys are weird and behave before she eventually followed her girlfriend, slowly disappearing from their field of view.

 

Sojung eyed her friend curiously. "Don't you have a class now too?"

 

"Not really, our teacher got sick," The woman explained as she mindlessly played with the straw of her now empty cup of latte. "I only arrived earlier because I know you hate being alone. I'm a great friend, aren't I?"

 

And there it was, that foolish wobbly feeling again, all because of a mere act of friendship. Damn it, Park Soobin, Sojung cursed mentally as she felt her cheeks heating up for the second time that morning. At least she could blame the redness of her face on the cold weather.

 

"I guess." Sojung responded with a shrug, trying hard not to burst out laughing at the incredulous look Soobin was directing at her. "Shall we go for a walk?"

 

Soobin pretended to be pondering hard about the offer, causing Sojung to roll her eyeballs and mutter a don't be an  under her breath, which was enough for Soobin to get up and for her lips to break in a genuine smile.

 

"What are you waiting for, sloth?" The youngest extended her hands and Sojung grabbed them immediately, easily intertwining her long fingers with Soobin's tiny ones.

 

They fit each other perfectly. Just like they were meant to be.

 

II

 

"My hoodie. Where is it?"

 

That was the first thing Sojung said when she barged into Soobin's dorm, arms crossed around her chest and everything.

 

"Why can't you tell me a simple hi before asking me stuff?" Soobin feigned offense, defeatedly pointing to her desk chair when the grumpy expression on Sojung's face didn't fade.

 

"Thank yo— wait, isn't that the shirt i've been looking for weeks?" The orange haired woman gestured to the white shirt laying on top of Soobin's bed. The latter could only scratch the back of her laugh as she faked a laugh.

 

"Surprise!" Soobin imitated an explosion with her hands and finished the act by clasping them together in an urgent attempt to make the older one laugh. The mission failed miserably.

 

Sojung glared down at the woman for a long period of time as she tried to come up with a punishment for what she did. That was her favorite shirt, after all, and she spent an entire week looking for it everywhere like a madwoman. And after pondering for what it felt like an eternity, the tiny little devil living inside of her brain decided to remind her of one of Soobin's biggest weaknesses — she was extremely ticklish.

 

Sojung smirked as she slowly raised her hands and that was when Soobin knew she ed up. Real big this time.

 

And before Soobin could run her body was thrown over the mattress, with Sojung straddling her and making it impossible for her to move even if she tried. The thief gulped, regretting every single one of her life choices in the moment Sojung's fingers started tickling her sides, bringing tears to her eyes and making both her stomach and mouth hurt from laughing too much.

 

Sojung was enjoying that moment more than she probably should. What was supposed to be a punishment ended up being a mix of giggles and touching from both parts. A huge amount of touching.

 

And it was when Sojung's body was entirely over Soobin's that the door cracked open, revealing a very confused and flustered Hyunjung holding a few bags of groceries in her hands.

 

"Well. Wow. That's embarrassing. I'm going to just leave these here. I'll stay at Jiyeon's until you guys are finished with— uh, whatever this is. Goodbye, lovebirds." Hyunjung was about to leave when she turned back to face her friends, who were just (maybe even more) as ashamed as her. "Don't forget to use protection, kids."

 

Sojung was about to protest when the door closed with a loud thud, leaving both of them in a even more uncomfortable situation than before. Soobin faked a cough under Sojung and the orange haired woman took that as a sign she should get off of her. Now.

 

"I gotta go now. Thanks for the, uh, lost shirt? Yeah. See you tomorrow, Soobin." Sojung quickly grabbed her things and made her way out of the dorm, leaving a dumbfounded (and panting) Soobin behind.

 

Sojung leaned her back on the door and hid her face behind her palms, letting out a loud groan. What the just happened?

 

III

 

A week went by since the ticklish hoodie incident — Jiyeon thought it was cool to name it like that — and all Soobin could talk about was the upcoming music festival their college would be hosting.

 

"You have to cheer for me," Soobin threatened her group of friends, pointing to each one of their faces with a fork. "All of you."

 

Jiyeon snorted. "And what if we don't?"

 

"Are you willing to take the risk, miss Kim?" Jiyeon gulped at Soobin's maniac smile, not even thinking twice before denying with her head. "Good."

 

Hyunjung could only laugh and shake her head at their antics, while Sojung couldn't care lass about their bickering, not even bothering to look up from her phone screen.

 

Soobin furrowed her eyebrows as she glanced at the woman sitting in front of her, determined to grab some of her attention.

 

"What are you doing?" The brunette asked, eyes so pure and innocent and bright that Sojung couldn't help but to get lost in them, only waking up from her daydream when she felt a tiny (but strong) foot kicking her right ankle. Of course. it was still Soobin, after all.

 

Sojung kicked back, smirking when she saw Soobin trying to hold back a pained whine. "I was minding my own business. Ever heard about it?"

 

And before the older could blink, Soobin marched to the other side of the table and sat on Sojung's lap with a loud thud, not even fazed by the incredulous looks Jiyeon and Hyunjung were directing at them.

 

"Why can't you just answer my question?" Soobin's grip on Sojung's shoulder was so strong that even their friends were alarmed, Hyunjung whispering a calm the down to Soobin who, of course, completely ignored the eldest's request.

 

Sojung took a deep breath, removing the brunette's firm hands out of her now sore shoulders. "You ing kicked my ankle, Soobin."

 

"You were taking forever to answer a simple question!" Soobin tried to reason, voice getting louder by the end of each word and by the bored look plastered on Sojung's face, the orange the student didn't seem to be impressed by her dramatic act.

 

You see, being Soobin's best friend for six long years forced Sojung to get used to a series of unfortunate things. From deafening shrieks to ridiculously tight hugs, she learned how to deal with every single one of Soobin's unique features without ripping the latter's head out of her body.

 

Even when she really wanted to. Which, to be honest, it was most of the time.

 

"Here's what I was doing," Sojung said nonchalantly after unlocking her phone, scrolling through her camera roll and shoving the electronic on Soobin's face, who in the other hand, turned as red as a pepper as her eyes kept glancing through the mind blowing variety of ugly pictures of herself existing on Sojung's phone without her acknowledgment. "Happy now?"

 

Soobin blinked once. Then twice. And then again.

 

"Do you want to die?"

 

Sojung knew she was done for after that sentence, so she just placed a soft kiss on Soobin's cheeks in a desperate attempt to distract the younger girl for a few moments, taking it as chance to finally push the tiny body out of her lap so she could literally run for her life.

 

Soobin was clearly flustered by the kiss, but the woman immediately regained her senses and darted behind Sojung through the campus, ignoring the weird looks from the students as she let out a variety of existing and non-existing curse words as she struggled to keep up with the older's pace.

 

The couple left behind shared skeptical looks with each other as their friend's silhouettes gradually disappeared from their field of vision.

 

"I don't even think they're in the dating phase anymore," Hyunjung pointed out as she took a sip of her strawberry juice. "This is married couple behavior."

 

IV

 

Soobin chased after Sojung through hallways and empty classes for a good hour before they decided to call it quits. Not because Soobin gave up on giving Sojung a piece of her mind, no. But because their bones felt like they were about to become nothing but dust.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter