Prologue

Out of Left Field
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Welcome back to the championship game for the middle school baseball league. Our two teams fighting for the championship title are the crowd favorites, Urban Works Middle School and South P. Middle School. It is the bottom of the 9th inning, two outs and the score is tied. With that last hit by number 26, the bases are now loaded.” The announcer’s voice boomed across the entire stadium, accompanied by the chatter from both the fans and players. The pitcher for South P., Ahn Yujin, took one last swig of her drink before adjusting her hat and jogging on to the pitcher's plate. “Next up to bat is number 10, Kim Minju.” He announced over the speaker and the part of the crowd supporting Urban Works went bezerk as they screamed and chanted Minju’s name. Minju always was their ace. Yujin thought, tossing the ball up into the air and catching it in her mitt as she watched the other girl walk up to the plate, dragging her bat behind her as if she was mocking the pitcher. Yujin positioned herself to throw the ball, locking eyes with the hitter. She threw the first pitch and the ball zoomed past Minju. She didn’t even attempt to swing. That either surprised her or she’s mocking me. Yujin preferred the first one.

“Strike One!” Minju tsked in response. The second ball was a curve ball and Minju missed once again. “Strike Two!” The crowd around them cheered and encouraged both girls in response. Time seemed to slow down around them as Yujin closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her heart hammered in her chest, ready to explode. She finished composing herself and positioned herself for her next pitch, hoping to end it here. The stadium was ghost silent in anticipation, the only audible noise was the gentle hum from the stadium lights that beamed down onto the field. Before she could throw the ball, Minju threw her own curve ball--a wink. Yujin, confused and flustered, let the ball slip out of her hand giving Minju an easy pitch to hit. Yujin watched as the small ball flew over her head and effortlessly went over the fence. A home run. The crowd cheered as Minju skipped around the bases. Yujin was devastated with this loss. It was her last chance to be the middle school champions and she ruined it. She laid on the dirt mound and refused to move until her friend and fellow teammate, Wonyoung, dragged her back to the locker room.

 

------------------------------------

 

Yujin slung her bag over her shoulder and slammed the locker shut. Letting out a loud sigh, Yujin slumped onto the bench and faced Wonyoung. When Wonyoung failed to notice her, Yujin sighed even louder. When there was no response, Yujin stomped her feet and let out the loudest sigh she could muster.

“I get the message,” Wonyoung said, still buried in her locker as she packed. “You can talk, I’m listening.”

“I hate her so much.” Yujin started.

“Who?” Wonyoung asked, closing her locker and taking a seat beside Yujin. “Kim Minju?”

“Yes!” Yujin exclaimed, jumping to her feet and startling Wonyoung. “You missed this since you weren’t in middle school yet, but the first year I began playing baseball for South P., Minju began in her school as well and we both became the new pitchers for our teams.” Yujin paced back and forth as she retold the story of their rivalry. “The local newspaper picked up that the best middle school baseball teams had new pitchers, both new to the team as well, and they pit us against each other. From then on I couldn’t help but want to prove myself against her. It doesn’t help that every time we meet at the finals my tea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter