Final.

Conversations
Please log in to read the full chapter

This was supposed to be a drabble but it got slightly too long so uh, not much plot here.

 

 

 

 

Joohyun hated airports.

There were too many people and noises that were too loud and she would get startled at least once every 10 minutes, definitely not her kind of place.

Alas, over the years she had somehow gotten used to it. It happened naturally when her parents migrated to New York almost a decade ago and Joohyun was tasked to oversee their main headquarter in Korea these late few years. Flying back and forth between the two countries every few months was daunting and Joohyun tried to minimize the frequency as much as she could but this time, her parents personally requested for her to come back, which they rarely did so she obliged diligently.

 

Joohyun checked in earlier than usual, not even fazed when it was announced that her flight would be delayed. She walked in a Starbucks and let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was mostly empty, safe for a few sleepy patrons and a group of friends sitting around a round table in glum, sulking over their delayed flight.

 

She ordered a warm chocolate drink and while she was lounging around the drink counter waiting for her order, a familiar voice called out for her.

 

“Unnie? Hyun unnie?”

 

Joohyun almost got a whiplash when she turned around, startled to hear a voice she had not heard for so long. Standing right beside her was Seungwan, her ex-girlfriend whom she broke up with over a year ago.

 

Seungwan was a university student then, approaching her final year and they were both busy with their different worlds - Joohyun with her constant travelling and endless meetings, Seungwan with her projects and committees and volunteer works that also took her round the globe. Joohyun was head over heels for Seungwan, but the break up was inevitable from the beginning. Seungwan’s whole family was in Canada and there was no way to tie her down in Korea, not then.

Seungwan cut her hair. Joohyun realized with a start. Gone were the long locks Joohyun loved to run her hair through. Her shoulder-length hair fell at the side of her face, barely covering the mischievous smile Joohyun knew as well as the back of her hand.

“It really is you! You haven’t changed at all.” Seungwan cheerfully patted her back with a familiarity that left Joohyun’s heart aching a little.

 

“You cut your hair.” Joohyun stated the obvious and Seungwan just laughed, a melody Joohyun greedily saved in her memory for fear that she might not be able to hear it again.

 

“Yes, took a lot out of me. Changes always do. I was scared it would not look good on me but thankfully it turned out well.”

 

Seungwan touched her hair and Joohyun’s finger twitched out of the desire to do the same but the barista called out their names then to let them know their drinks were ready.

 

“So, are you going to sit in the shop? When’s your flight?” Seungwan cradled her hot coffee between her palms carefully, her eyes wide open looking at Joohyun. There was a childlike curiosity in her expression and Joohyun mentally noted that this was one of the reasons she fell for Seungwan back then.

 

“My flight got delayed for a few hours, so I’m stuck here.” Joohyun frowned. If Seungwan was at this side of the airport, she must had been waiting for her flight as well. “What about yours, Wan ah?”

 

“I think we’re taking the same flight unnie, mine got delayed too.”

 

“Wait, you’re going to NY as well?”

 

“Uh huh. My parents are there right now.” Seungwan quipped, scanning rows of empty tables, before settling on one. “Would you like to sit with me and chat a little bit? It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.”

 

The older girl shrugged, acting nonchalant although she was secretly rejoicing over the fact that Seungwan was the one who proposed for them to sit together. They picked a small round table made to accommodate two people and got themselves comfortable.


“Seungwan ah, let’s have many conversation..”

 

A memory from the past popped in Joohyun’s mind. She thought back of the early days when they were dating and how the girl sitting before her would always keep her difficulties to herself, out of fear she would be a burden to her older girlfriend. They went through a lot together and Joohyun knew that Seungwan would always be one of her biggest regrets, even after years had passed.

 

“So why are you back in Korea, Wannie? I thought you went straight back to Canada after graduation?”

 

A graduation Joohyun did not attend by the way, because she was too busy crying at home, fearing the thought of seeing Seungwan for the last time and doing something stupid like asking her to not leave. She was supposed to be the mature adult, and what kind of mature adult pined over their ex-girlfriend months after they broke up?

 

To be fair, a lot of adults did that. Joohyun was just trying to make excuses for her pathetic self.

"I'm back to pick up some stuffs."

"Stuffs?"

"Yeah, I’m getting engaged."

 

If this was a movie, Joohyun would probably hear a thunder sound effect at the background but th

Please log in to read the full chapter