Prologue

Red Thread

 

 

 

PROLOGUE

 

 

Walking alone through the dark alley has never been a scary thing for Keonhee. But tonight, he could feel something bad was going to happen, a really bad one. 

 

He was known as a scaredy-cat among his friends and it's true. It's true that he couldn't think of anything whenever he's alone. His mind working, imagining the worst thing could happen when all he needs to is to clear his brain from all sorts of negative thoughts. 

 

Maybe, Keonhee just being too paranoid about everything. 

 

He looked around just to see that all of the shops had closed for today because tomorrow is a public holiday. Sometimes he wondered, why would they close their shops if they're going to gain a lot of money if they ever open it till late at night? 

 

But then he knows, it's just him trying to deny the reality that he's walking alone, heading towards his home that probably his friends were already waiting for him. 

 

Extra footsteps could be heeded by him but he tried to stay positive as much as he could because maybe it's just someone else who is having the same direction as him. 

 

Maybe. 

 

He fastened his walk in hope he could reach his home a moment earlier than he supposed to. One step by one step that he took just make the footsteps' sound become louder and louder. 

 

"Oh God, save me," He had pleaded to the God with his hand tightly clamped together, sweats dripping down his cheeks and tears started to form in his eyes. 

 

His heart told him to stop turning his head but his mind couldn't help that he actually caught his eyes with the black hoodie guy behind him. 

 

"Stay away from me, stay away from me, stay away----" He had repeated the holy words for countless of times before a hand landed on his shoulders causing him to jump a little bit as he fell onto the ground. 

 

His eyes met the guy again but this time, he sure that it wasn't going to benefit him because the guy had a knife in his hand. 

 

"Give me all of your money or else I will---" 

 

"B--But I have no money," Keonhee replied in instant because he's plainly clueless on what kind of actions he should take in this very crucial moment. 

 

The guy approached with the tiny knife in his hand but it's enough to hurt Keonhee and makes him bleed, "I---Please do--don't," His hand works hard as he brought himself backwards, avoiding from getting closer to the black hoodie guy. 

 

A drunkard wouldn't know what he did the next morning so does this guy. He's too drunk to even think what he did is wrong. Keonhee should be prepared for his funeral to be hold tomorrow. 

 

Hwanwoong, you've been such a good friend of mine, so please take care of yourself well. 

 

Youngjo, you should smile often and never think too much because it will hurt you. 

 

Last but not least, Geonhak, be yourself. No matter what people think of you, just be yourself.

 

One... Two... Three... 

 

Bang. 

 

Sounds of someone getting shot penetrated his ears. 

 

Is he die? The only thing he could think of. 

 

Keonhee gradually opened his eyes, just to see the black hoodie guy was laying on the ground, lifeless with unknown liquid started to flow out on the ground, "Wh--What is this?" 

 

His eyes scanned the surroundings just to see a boy was standing not too far from him, still holding a gun as he pointed it towards the guy. Keonhee gulped, trying to find the rationality of the incident happened but nothing could come across his mind. 

 

Did the boy perhaps... save him from danger? 

 

He thought of that, but not until the gun had slowly shifted his direction towards him, as his eyes widened upon the responses. 

 

"I---I"

 

He was getting anxious, especially when the boy loaded the gun and was ready to shoot him as he tried to pull the trigger, scared the boy even more. 

 

"Xion, stop." 

 

A girl out of nowhere appeared right in front of him as if she's the angel sent by God from heaven to save Keonhee. 

 

The boy had his eyes brown eyes turned to red eyes when someone disturbed his focus, "Move, Jiae. Move if you don't want to die."

 

"You can't kill me, Xion. You can't kill me," The girl declared as her hands started to move, drawing something invisibly before the gun suddenly fell onto the ground, being dragged towards her. 

 

"Wh--What the heck," Keonhee had severely frowned his face as he uttered those. 

 

Xion snorted, "You tell me to kill but you're the one who stops it," He bitterly claimed. 

 

"I told you to kill him," She shot the lifeless guy again using the gun in her hand, "But not him."

 

"But you told me it's two people in black," Xion questioned her whole instruction. 

 

The girl turned her head around, marking something before she reloaded the gun and shot it, "There you go. The other one, the accomplice," She smiled in satisfied before she threw back the gun towards the clueless boy. 

 

"You should forget about this tomorrow," She had placed her palms on his face, closing his eyes as if she's trying to delete his memories on it. 

 

Keonhee slowly closed his eyes, getting sleepy out of the sudden. 

 

But when the sun hits his eyes, forcing him to wake up, Keonhee furrowed his eyebrows because as far as he could remember, he was outside last night. 

 

He opened his eyes to see a familiar boy stands near the curtain as he widely spread it, "Wake up, idiot. We're late for class," He had complained. 

 

Keonhee brought his body up from laying on the bed, had his hand busy massaging his temple as he tried to remember what happened to him yesterday. But... no matter how hard he thinks there's no answer for it. 

 

"What the hell happened to me yesterday?" He questioned, "Hwanwoong, do you perhaps know---"

 

A towel landed right in his face as he tried to complete his words, "Go and take your shower, idiot. We have class in the morning today," Hwanwoong stated and leave the room in instant.