Morning Star (Ateez Fantasy!AU) Chapter 4

Morning Star

“Are you sure I shouldn’t be the one driving?”

Gripping the seat with his right hand, San sat there as quiet as he could manage, his foot pressed against an imaginary break as he gnawed on his lower lip. He’d never been more scared in his entire life.

“Shut up San! I said I am a great driver.” Saetbyeol snapped back, her hands wrapping tighter around the steering wheel, knuckles turning white.

A week had passed since the two were assigned as partners. Since they hadn’t made much progress on the article, San suggested the two of them go scope out the crime scene themselves since the area had been cleared. Despite their clashing personalities, San and Saetbyeol shockingly made a pretty good pair.

Ever since he had saved her from their coworker, San noticed Saetbyeol had slightly lowered her wall. She was definitely more vocal around him, yet he sensed there was still so much more to her than met the eye. He was even more determined to discover everything about her.

The burning sensation of hot liquid seeping through his jeans jolted San from his thoughts as he peered down at soaked thighs. Saetbyeol had hit a speed bump a bit too hard, resulting in San’s tea to spill over his cup and onto his leg. A panicked string of curses left his lips as he tried to blow cool air onto his lap.

“Don’t you get any of that on my car!” Saetbyeol snapped as she briefly turned to glare at him and to make sure none of the liquid stained the seat.

“Well, I wouldn’t be spilling it if you knew how to drive! And keep your eyes on the road, will you?” San cursed once more under his breath as he wiped off the hot liquid with some spare napkins he had.

Ever since the two of them started their trek to the cave, San had been telling her how to drive - what to do, what not to do. He could tell it was beginning to annoy her, but he just wanted to ensure that the two of them made it to their destination in one piece. With the way in which she drove, however, San wasn’t too sure if that desire would be met.

“If you stopped talking to me I wouldn’t be so distracted, she muttered. “I’ve been driving for a long time, I know what I’m doing.”

He could tell she had had enough. Reaching for the radio, she forcefully pushed the power button filling the car with with soothing melodies and chill beats. San briefly glanced at her, shocked - he never took her for the type to listen to low-fi. She never ceased to amaze him.

Noticing a change in her mood, San glanced at her once more, watching her tap her fingers on the steering wheel along to the beat as she silently mouthed the words; a small sparkle in her eyes forming as the music consumed her. Relaxing a bit, San turned his head to stare out the rain covered window, watching the scenery fly by them as they approached their destination.

Arriving at the cave, Saetbyeol parked her car in almost the same spot she had the first time she came. Exiting the car, the pair grabbed their notebooks and cameras before making their way to the entrance of the cave. Going in first, San admired the size of the cave - it’s no wonder someone decided to choose this as their stage. Turning back, he noticed Saetbyeol carefully maneuvering herself along the unstable surface. San remembered the first time she returned from this place - the scent of blood filled the air as she limped past his desk to the restroom. She had cut her ankle up badly on this exact terrain, one that had yet to heal. Watching her every move, noticing the slight limp she still possessed, San became more and more nervous in fear she’d get hurt again. Extending his hand to her, he gestured for her to take it so he could help her walk. Hesitating briefly, Saetbyeol slid her hand into his as she allowed him to lead her into the cave.

Reaching the scene of the crime, San let out a whistle as he spotted the pool of blood where the once large pile of carcusses resided, the stench of blood still in the air. The corpses had been moved shortly after the discovery of the scene along with the collected evidence. To where? No one knew.

“I must say I admire the creature who did this,” San spoke as he halted with his arms crossing over his chest, “there’s blood but not nearly as much as I expected. There’s no splatter on the walls or the surrounding area. He definitely knew what he was doing without making a useless mess.” Unlike Saetbyeol, San was unphased by the smell of the stale blood as he  began wandering around the area again, eyes scanning every inch and crevice. Staring in awe, Saetbyeol stood in the middle of the cave completely speechless at San’s shocking words.

“How can you admire and praise someone for these heinous acts? They might have been only animals, but who could do such a thing? What if next time it’s a person?”

“Maybe he was just hungry?” San replied turning to look at her as he nonchalantly shrugged, brushing her fears away.

“For animal livers?” She responded meeting his intense gaze. The look on his face was playful, but it didn’t match the look in his eyes. Something about his gaze frightened yet intrigued her. “Have you ever tried liver before? It’s quite tasty so don’t knock it until you try it.” Noticing her intense staring at him, San cleared his throat before turning back to where the once pile of animal carcasses stood. Blinking furiously, Saetbyeol turned away as well, “Well, no, but I don’t really have any desire to either. Also, why do you keep referring to the killer as a male? For all we know, it could be a woman.”

A visibly flustered San nonchalantly brushed dirt off of a nearby wall, “Why are you presuming that I’m assuming the culprit is a male?”

Saetbyeol stared at him with wide eyes,a wave of confusion washing over her body, “You literally just called it a he, what are you tal-”

“When I picture the creature,” San interjected, “I think of like - a really cool half-man, half-animal thing. You know? With flowing hair and ripped muscles. Very charming. Very strong. Strikingly handsome, probably pretty intimidating. Just - completely jacked and outworldly.”

Saetbyeol remained silent for a decent period of time as she stared at a smirking San before gesturing to the blood spatter, “Are - are you trying to romanticize the culprit, San?” Shrugging San shook his head, hair slightly falling into his eye, “Not exactly, I’m just saying it’s possible.”

Raising an eyebrow, Saetbyeol continued to stare at him completely dumbfounded. She couldn’t tell if he was joking or being serious. Slowly, her lips pursed together along with squinting eyes as she shook her head, “You’ve been watching too many sci-fi shows and reading too many manhwa’s.” Chuckling, San pulled out his notebook and camera, “Come on, let’s finish up and get back to the office so we can compile everything, I’m getting hungry.”

Rolling her eyes, Saetbyeol mirrored his actions. The two of them wandered around the cave, never moving out of sight from one another. Once pleased with their work, San and Saet make their way out of the warm cave and back into the cool, crisp fall air. Entering the car, San browsed on his phone for a nearby restaurant, “How about this place?”

Leaning over, Saetbyeol glanced down at his phone. Trailing her finger across the screen, she read over the menu; San tensing slightly at the closeness. The scent of her strawberry shampoo mixed with the scent from the cave that now lingered on her clothes; the odd sweet-rust smell wafting into his nostrils.

“Alright, we can go there.” Leaning back over, unaware of San’s demeanor, she started the car, inputting the address to the bistro in her car’s gps before backing out.

 

__

 

After their meal, the pair returned to the office - both seated at Saetbyeol’s desk as they comb over their notes, combining bits and pieces to the half written article, and uploading the pictures the two of them took to her hard drive. San would occasionally glance at her out of the corner of his eye, noticing how she’d chew on her lower lip when she was focused on what she was doing, how she’d tap her finger or pencil on the desk when she was frustrated. Every action of her’s, San admired.

“Can you stop tapping your finger on the desk? It’s distracting.” San deadpanned.

“No one asked you to remain here. This is my desk, you can easily go back to your’s if it’s such a bother.” Saetbyeol shot him a quick glare causing him to chuckle. Noticing the glances from some of their coworkers, Saetbyeol quickly looked away and back down to her computer screen, hair falling from behind her ears as she hid her face away from everyone, including San. Realizing what was going on, San felt the frustration rise within his body as he swallowed hard; audibly closing his computer, causing Saetbyeol to peer up at him.

“I think we’ve made great progress today. Let’s stop here and get some food - my stomach won’t stop growling.” San smiled sheepishly as the sound of his stomach rumbling filled the air between them.

Saetbyeol furrowed her brows, “We just ate like half an hour ago.”

“What can I say, I’m your average guy - and the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” San shrugged, pretending to play innocent, as he grabbed his coat from the back of his desk chair before returning to Saetbyeol’s side like an obedient dog. Shaking her head, she shut down her computer before rising to her feet.

“I’m not sure what you mean, but come on - let’s go eat before you start munching on a liver.” Walking ahead, Saetbyeol could feel the slight flush of her cheeks as his previous statements inside of the cave echoed through her mind. Just as the two exited the building, San crashed into Saetbyeol’s sudden frozen frame.

“What’s going on?”

Looking up, he noticed Saetbyeol staring at a small framed woman; her blonde hair shifting in the small breeze. Noticing Saetbyeol and San standing together, the girl smiled wide and waved in their direction before excitedly jogging towards them. San realized that this was the same girl he saw walking with Saetbyeol one night after she got off work late.

“Mirae, you’re a bit early?” Saetbyeol asks in shock as her best friend reaches the two of them.

“I know, but I closed up early and wanted to see if you’d like to grab a bite to eat.” Mirae, San now knowing the name of the mystery girl, glanced over at him and smiled sweetly as she extended her hand towards him. “Hi, I’m Mirae - Saet’s best friend, roommate and family. It’s nice to meet you.” Taking San’s outstretched hand she gently shook his hand for a moment. “It’s nice to meet you, too. I’m San - Saetbyeol’s coworker and current work partner.” Letting his hand fall back down to his side, he smiled softly, wanting to make a good impression.

“Mirae,” Saetbyeol smiled apologetically at her best friend, “San and I were actually just about to go eat.”

“Well why doesn’t she join us? We were about to go eat anyway, so what’s one more?’ San looked back and forth between the two girls, hoping Saetbyeol would agree so he could see more of her true self. “Well, if it’s no problem with you two, I’d be happy to join,” Mirae smiled wide, clasping her hands together in excitement.

“Then it’s settled - let’s go eat!”

Leading the way, San walked ahead as he listened to the two girls behind him talk about Mirae’s work day and what it was like for Saetbyeol to have the “famous” Choi San as a partner. San smiled at Saetbyeol’s words as she answered her best friend in a surprisingly semi-positive manner.

“He’s pretty cool,” she shrugged, “kind of annoying, but a good partner.”

Arriving at the bistro, San held open the door as he ushered the two of them inside. Mirae smiled and walked past San, momentarily glancing up at him, a playful and flirty look in her eye, “Wow, what a gentleman.”     

Groaning, Saetbyeol rolled her eyes as she followed behind Mirae; San following in after closing the door behind them. As warm air welcomed the three frozen figures, the scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air creating a pleasant and homey atmosphere. Choosing to sit at a table lining one of the many windows, the three started to browse the menu.

After ordering their meals, Mirae and Saetbyeol began to talk amongst themselves, totally forgetting San’s presence, but he didn’t mind it one bit. Sipping his latte, the sable haired male admired the scene before him. The smile that formed on Saetbyeol’s lips when she would talk to her best friend, the sound of her laugh as it filled the room down to the way she would playfully smack her friend’s arm when Mirae would . Everything about this side of her made his lips pull up at their corners as if attached to invisible strings, strings that Saetbyeol unknowingly wielded. In his mind he hoped to see this side of her forever.

Noticing San staring at them, Saetbyeol’s behavior turned back to its usual cold demeanor. “What are you staring at?” Snapping out of his daze, San smiled at the two girls as if nothing had happened. “Oh nothing. I’m just discovering more things to pick on you over.”

“Excuse me?! Picking o-” Saetbyeol was cut off by the waiter bringing their food to the table.

After placing the plates in front of each of them, the waiter smiled at Saetbyeol and Mirae a little too sweetly for San’s liking, asking if they needed anything. Politely declining, the three of them began digging into their meals. Occasionally, San would peek through his bangs, watching Saetbyeol take bite after bite of her entree. Shockingly, she definitely wasn’t like one of those dainty girls that took small bites of their food, but rather completely unbothered and relaxed as she stuffed her face. Food smudged itself on the corner of , Saetbyeol completely unaware as she continued to feast.

“You know, you really are a noisy, messy eater,” San chimed, not looking up from his plate. He could feel her anger radiating from across the table as Saetbyeol fumed, “You know what…”

Reaching for one of the rolls on a plate in between them, she raised her arm, ready to throw it right at his face, but just as she was about to release it, Mirae gently grabbed her wrist, saving San from getting bread to the eye. Shooting Mirae an appreciative glance, he turned his gaze to Saetbyeol who was glaring daggers straight into his soul. Her reactions always amused him, he wanted to do more but wouldn’t go too far. Instead, he nonchalantly reached over the table as he softly wiped the corner of with his thumb before returning to his meal.

Feeling her face heat up, Saetbyeol sighed in frustration as she placed the roll back onto the plate and went back to eating, determined to finish up to get back to the office and away from San. Once she finished up, Saetbyeol placed her fork down and excused herself from the table before making her way outside to get some fresh air so she can calm down from all of San’s teasing and nitpicking.

Finishing off the last of their food, San and Mirae paid for their meals. Outside, Saetbyeol sat on a nearby bench, kicking a few leaves and twigs around with her foot. Lost in thought, she didn’t hear the two approach her. Mirae laid a hand on her friend’s shoulder, snapping her out of her daydreaming, “It’s time to go home. San would you care to join us? Saetbyeol didn’t you tell me you had something for your guys’ article in your room you wanted to give to your partner?”

Her best friend’s eyes shot up as she stared at Mirae in shock before turning towards San. She knew what her friend was up to, and Saetbyeol wasn’t having it.

“Well technically yes, but Mirae I’m sure he just wants to go home. It’s been a long day, so I can just bring it to the office tomorrow.”

“I’d love to,” San replied a little to eagerly. Saetbyeol quickly turned and glared at him for the millionth time today - the action slowly, but surely becoming routine between the two of them. Smiling at both of the females before him, he gestured for them to lead the way as he followed behind. Mirae happily linked her arm with Saetbyeol’s as she forced her friend to move.  As the group walked, San kept his distance, but made sure he was close enough to spring into action if need be to protect Saetbyeol and her friend.

After a few minutes, they stopped in front of a small brick house. Mirae gestured for San to follow the two of them inside as she opened the door, “It’s small but make yourself comfortable.”

“This is a lovely place you both have.”

It was nothing San had imagined - decorated in a feminine manner, but not overly frilly. Various small plants garnished shelves and counter tops. Thin white curtains danced along the living floor from the breeze from the running ceiling fan. A decent sized sofa rested against the back of a wide wall as a tv sat atop a stand near another wall adjacent to the couch - perfectly centered. A rectangular shaped dining room table settled next to the only window in the kitchen, one chair tucked in on each side. Through the window, he noticed a fair-sized backyard overlooking a small garden decorated with flowers of every color.

“My room is this way,” Saetbyeol snipped, frustration lacing the tone of her voice.

Following her up the small flight of stairs, San noticed a room decorated in a rather dark manner towards the end of the hallway. Midnight blue colored blackout curtains made the room look similar to the cave they had visited earlier that day. Various violet and grey toned abstract paintings scattered across the walls as blacklight string lights draped themselves over the curtain rods. Small creepy dolls occupied shelves nailed into the walls as a larger one sat motionlessly in a polished rocking chair nestled towards the corner of the room. A decent-sized, rope twined bookshelf holding horror mangas sat next to a charcoal grey vanity as a black canopy hung over a matching bed set; tall, iron rods holding melted candles decorating either side.

That must be Saetbyeol’s room, San thought to himself.

Just before they entered the dark room, Saetbyeol made a quick right into another bedroom. Confusion washed over San as soon as he entered.

Navy blue blackout curtains covered the windows, but despite that, this room was much cheerier than the other one. Instead of blacklight string lights, fairy lights were draped on the rods. Cream colored wall decals of various images and quotes decorated the light beige walls instead of ominous paintings. A curved bookshelf tucked itself into the far corner of the room, various books and pictures of Saetbyeol and Mirae lined the shelves. A queen sized bed was covered in various brightly colored plushies and pillows of all shapes and sizes; its cream colored faux fur comforter peeking out through the mound of stuffed animals. In front of the bed sat a wooden, navy blue cushioned bench decorated with a small beige throw blanket. A small TV mounted itself onto the wall directly before the seat; a three-drawer dresser seated under as a line of tiny potted succulents decorated the wardrobe.

Letting his mouth fall open as realization set in, San let out a silent gasp. This was Saetbyeol’s room and the other one was Mirae’s. He thought he had her all figured out, but he was wrong - so very wrong. Staring at her in shock, he raised his brows at the woman who never ceased to surprise him.

Watching her make her way to a medium-sized desk nestled in the corner, she opened the top drawer and pulled out a small flash drive. Walking over to San, she reached for his hand before placing the small device in the palm of his hand, “This is important information for our article, so don’t lose it.”

Collecting himself, he flexed his fingers tightly around the flash drive before tucking it securely in his pocket. She was entrusting this with him, he couldn’t risk losing it. Nodding at his actions, Saetbyeol made her way out out of the room as San followed closely behind. Making their way to the front door Mirae bid farewell to San from the kitchen, “Don’t be a stranger!”

Saetbyeol once more rolled her eyes before opening the door for him, “We made good progress today. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Smiling, San nodded in agreement. “That we did - I’ll see you bright and early.”

Making his way down the street, San turned back to see Saetbyeol still standing in the doorway, sending him a small wave as she watched him journey home. Waving back at her, mind preoccupied, the crescent eyed male felt his foot catch on a dip in the asphalt; his feet leaving the ground as he tripped forward onto his hands.

“Are you okay?” Saetbyeol called out as she stepped onto the porch.

Face coloring a bright red, San quickly rose to his feet as he ran a hand through his hair in an attempt to look cool, “Of course! I didn’t trip if that’s what you’re thinking!”  

With those words, he fake-shot her with finger guns before sending a wink; turning on his heel as he quickly walked away until his figure disappeared from her sight. Blinking a few times, Saetbyeol sighed as a small smile graced her lips.

“What an idiot.”