Chapter 1

Run Away

You shifted in your seat, trying to get comfortable. The room was growing unbearably stuffy from all the people, and more kept arriving through the doors behind you. You took the paper program and fanned yourself with it for a moment. It didn't exactly help.
Sighing, you let your arm drop down in to your lap. Then you felt an unsettling feeling and turned your head to look at the person next to your right. Your mom was giving you a disapproving look. Resisting the urge to roll your eyes, you looked away to examine the little booklet you held. There was certainly a lot in it. Not exactly a simple wedding, which explains why you and your family had received an invitation. This was meant to be a spectacle.
Orchestra music began playing and you glanced at the doors in the back of the large room. More guest filed in though instead of the wedding party. This was only the first of three songs to be played before the actual ceremony. You wanted to groan and have a bit of a tantrum but you resisted that as well.
Most of the guests took their seats and the chatter grew quieter. You surveyed the people sitting around you, recognizing very few faces. Then you looked across the aisle to the bride's side. There wasn't a single person in the crowd that you knew, though it was hard to see everyone. There had to be over a hundred people in the room.
One person in particular caught your eye and you watched them amusingly. The man looked as if he didn't want to be here either. He was slouching in his chair and fiddling with the program that had been handed out. Then he pulled his phone out of his pocket. He only managed to mess with it for a few seconds before the older woman sitting next to him leaned in closer. She said something to him and he put the phone back in his pocket.
A small smile formed on your face. You could imagine the scolding he received. Probably the same one that your mom would give you if you dared to take out your phone.
Suddenly the male turned and met your gaze. You inhaled sharply and quickly looked away. After waiting a few seconds, you chanced peeking over at him again. He was still looking at you and when he noticed he had your attention once more, he screwed up his face. An exaggerated expression that seemed to be his silent pleading, 'Just kill me now and put me out of my misery.'
You swiftly slapped a hand over your mouth and looked at your lap. A snort of laughter still escaped you though, so you knew your mom was surely giving you another one of her looks. Clearing your throat, you lowered your hand and avoided looking at her. Instead you turned your attention back to the man. He had a smirk on his face, making you think that he saw the look your mom had given you. You gave him a playful glare and watch as his smirk turned in to a huge grin.
At that moment, you noticed the woman beside him staring at you. You turned away and acted as if you were simply examining the crowd of people. After a bit, you peeked back over and saw the older woman earnestly talking to the man. He was shaking his head with an annoyed expression on his face, obviously not enjoying whatever she was saying. Then she was looking at you again.
You averted your gaze once more as curiosity ate at you. What was she saying? Probably wondering if he knew her. That was a likely question. It didn't exactly explain his reaction though. There was definitely more to it, you just couldn't figure out what it was.
The music changed, piquing your interest and hope. Instead of the classic wedding march, another song played. Slouching in your chair, you wished this thing would get over with already.

Once the long ceremony concluded, all the guests moved into another room that was even larger than the first. Round tables filled most of it, except the center where a dance floor was, and there was one long banquet table sitting on a small stage on the far side.
You glanced around, wondering what to do and whether there was an escape route, when your arm was grabbed.
"Be a dear and find our seats." your mother told you. Without waiting for a reply, she released you and moved away to talk to a group of people that had gathered.
Rolling your eyes, you meandered your way around the tables. At least the room seemed to be divided between the groom and the bride again so you stuck to the tables on the right. It still took you several minutes before finally finding a table with your name on a place card.
You sat down and checked the other cards besides yours. One had your mother's name on it while the other had a name you vaguely recognized. Probably one of your mom's co-workers. Surely your mom wasn't the only person from the company to receive an invitation.
The crowd started to thin as people moved through the room. Some took their seats, more were standing and talking to each other. Time seemed to slowly tick by until there was the squeal of a microphone. You looked over at the banquet table and realized there was a DJ booth tucked in to a corner behind it.
"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the bride and groom!"
Cheers erupted as the doors opened. The newly married couple waltzed in, waving happily as they headed towards the dance floor. A song began playing and they stepped in to each other's arms. They danced, smiling at each other, and you couldn't help but smile as well. Even though they were putting on a show for over a hundred people, it was still plainly obvious that they were in love.
Once the song was over, there was a round of applause and then everyone took their seats. Servers entered the room and food was set on the tables. You straightened in anticipation and willed your stomach to not growl. At least there was one good thing about being dragged along. What was set in front of you though promptly crushed your lifted movie. It resembled food, but you couldn't tell what it was. There there was also the fact that you could probably finish it in three to four bites.
You lifted your fork and poked at the food before shifting it around your plate. Was that a mushroom? And this other thing was probably eggplant. You glanced at the others seated at the table to see them picking at their food, more interested in talking to each other than eating. Obviously about work as you picked out words like 'proposal', 'insolvent', and 'cash flow statement'.
Taking a deep breath that did nothing for you, you hurriedly ate the food in four bites. Then you stood up. "Excuse me." you politely said even though you doubted anyone would hear you. You started to head to the door that you entered through when you noticed another door off to the side and much closer. As soon as you passed through it, you took another deep breath, breathing much easier this time.

The hallway was mostly empty but you spotted a few servers off to the left. That must be the direction of the kitchen so you went right instead. The hall came to an end and you made another right. Then you came to an abrupt stop so you wouldn't trip over someone.
"Hey."
You blinked in surprise. The man sitting on the floor was the same one from earlier. "Uh... hey." You looked past him a little ways and saw a set of double doors.
"You making a run for it?" he asked and indicated the doors.
"No." you replied. "Just hiding out for a bit."
He grinned at you. "Me too." Then he lifted plate off the floor that was piled full of cream puffs. "I stole these from the kitchen."
"Oh my god, food." You sat next down next to him and grabbed a handful.
"Guess dinner wasn't all that good." he said with a chuckle.
You shook your head. "You didn't miss much."
"My name is Himchan by the way."
Swallowing a mouthful of food, you introduced yourself as well.
Himchan grabbed a cream puff and nibbled on it. "So, I'm assuming you were dragged here against your will."
"Yeah. My mom works for the groom and she basically demanded I come. Said it would be the perfect chance expand my network." You rolled eyes at that. "What about you?"
"My mom knows the bride. Not sure how though."
You eyed him curiously. "Why did you get dragged here?"
A noticeable blush graced his cheeks as he looked away. "I'd rather not say."
You laughed, you couldn't help it. "Okay." Then you changed the subject, noticing the relief in his eyes that you didn't press him for an answer.
Much to your surprise, the conversation flowed easily between you two. He was easy to talk to and you found yourself laughing quite a few times. And when you made a sarcastic comment, making him laugh as well, you even found yourself grateful that your mother had brought you here against you will. Which caused your face to heat up and you looked away from him to hide it.
Loud music filled the hallway at that moment and you naturally turned your head towards the sound. "Oh, guess the dinner and toasting is done." you commented. Then you looked back at the male to see him smiling.
"Guess so." Himchan echoed. Then he offered you his hand. "May I have this dance?"
You snorted out a laugh and amusingly nodding your head while giving him your hand. "Sure."
He quickly stood up before you got off the floor and helped you up. Your willed yourself not to blush as you smiled and glanced at the floor. You expected him to lead you back to the dining hall but instead, he held your hand and placed his other hand on your waist.
"Here?" You giggled and settled your hand on his shoulder.
"Oh yeah. Much better than having to deal with all those people. And my mom."
You giggled again and let him lead you in to a waltz that certainly didn't match the beat of the music. Which only made you laugh more and his own laugh mingled with yours.
Suddenly he jerked to a stop and released you. You blinked at him in surprise, seeing the happiness drain out of his face.
"There you are."
Whirling around, you saw the woman who had been sitting next to him during the ceremony. She had a grin on her face which only grew bigger as she eyed you up and down.
"Uhh... I... I w-was..." stuttered Himchan.
The woman closed the distance to you. "Well, aren't you going to introduce us?"
Himchan tried to stammer out your name but failed so you told her it yourself. She repeated it, as if testing the sound of your name.
"Are your parents here?" she questioned.
"Uh... My mom is. My dad is at work right now."
Instantly she looped her arm around yours and began dragging down the hallway. "Wonderful! I'd love to meet her."
Your eyes widened in surprise as you tried to process what was happening. It didn't help that she kept firing off question after question. Where did you work, where did you go to school, where did your parents work, etc. You felt so helpless that you could only glance at Himchan trailing after the two of you.
"Mom, stop. Please." he pleaded under his breath, so quietly that you barely heard him.
You entered the dining hall and was yanked to a stop.
"Where is she?" the woman asked while glancing around.
"Uh..." A loud voice caught your attention and you turned.
"There you are! There's some people I want you to meet!" You watch your mom approach you, eyeing the lady with you curiously. "Who is this?"
Himchan's mom finally let you go and stepped next to your mom. "You have a lovely daughter." Then she grabbed Himchan by the arm and yanked him closer. "And this is my son, Himchan."
Your mom's gaze flickered between the two of them for a moment before a bright smile formed on her face. "Oh! Such a handsome, young man. What do you do for a living Himchan?"
Before the man could speak, his mother answered for him. Then continued listing his various achievements and hobbies, plus where she and her husband worked.
Your mother nodded her head eagerly, hanging on to every word spoken, until she glanced at you with a look of surprise. As if she had completely forgotten you were there. "Why don't you two go out on the dance floor and enjoy yourselves?"
"Splendid idea." Himchan's mother agreed. "In fact, they were just out in the hallway dancing."
This brought a chuckle to both woman as they headed over to a table to sit down and continued talking.

You could only stare at the older women while your brain worked through what had just happened. An idea formed in your head that didn't make sense to you, but at the same time it did. It was too unbelievable though! But... that was it, right?
Tearing your gaze away from them, you turned to face Himchan. His face appeared bright red, and in his eyes was a mixture of guilt and pity. That was enough for you. Your mouth dropped open as your eyes widened.
"That's why my mom dragged me here." he confessed before casting his gaze downwards to the floor.
You looked back at the two mothers and wondered if they were getting ahead of themselves by already planning the wedding.
"Ready to run away yet?"
Hope swelled in your chest but was instantly crushed. "My mom is my ride."
"I drove myself."
You quickly looked at Himchan and saw the questioning look in is eye. It lasted only a brief second though, and then the two of you were moving at the same time. You ran to the side door you had disappeared through before and back to your hiding spot. This time you kept going with Himchan pulling ahead and pushing the door open for you.
You were in the main entryway now and racing towards the front doors. Giddiness overwhelmed you and you giggled like crazy. You managed to catch up to Himchan and you each went out a separate door. Much to your surprise though, there was a person standing right outside the door you went through. You bumped in to them, sending you reeling as you stumbled, but Himchan caught you in his arms so you didn't fall. Then his hand slid in to yours.
Holding his hand tightly, the two of you ran down the front steps to the sidewalk. Only then did you turn back to look at the person you had ran in to. "Sorry!" you shouted back at them. The bewildered expression on their face made you laugh. What an odd sight it must be, the two of you running out of the large church like you did. It made you think of a bride running away from her wedding with a man who wasn't the groom.
Himchan led you through the parking lot to a car. He unlocked it and you slipped in to the passenger seat as he got behind the wheel. You breathed heavily, trying to catch your breath even though the laughter that kept wanting to come out wasn't helping.
"Wow!" you exclaimed.
"Yeah." he agreed, laughing as well. "So, where to?"
It only took a few seconds to think before you smiled brightly at him. "I'd kill for a cheeseburger."
"Holy you read my mind."
You busted out laughing and his own laughter mixed with yours. Then he started the car and you hurriedly put on your seatbelt.
In just a few minutes, you found yourself sitting at a booth with Himchan sitting across from you. You practically bounced with excitement, earning you a few chuckles from him as he watched you. Once the server brought you your food, you grabbed your burger and took a bite of it. It tasted like heaven and you moaned in pleasure.
"Feeling better now?" he teasingly asked.
"Almost." You stood up and rounded the booth. He looked confused as you slid in next to him but you didn't say anything. Then you kicked off your shoes, leaned backwards, and brought your feet up to rest on the seat where you had been sitting. "There. Now I'm good."
Laughing, he mimicked your posture and put his feet up as well.
The two of you silently ate for a while, but you noticed him continuously glancing at you. You waited to see if he was going to say something except he never did. So finally you met his gaze and asked, "What? Why do you keep looking at me?"
He blushed and looked away for a bit before looking back at you. A shy smile formed on his face. "Being dragged along wasn't so bad I guess." he mumbled.
Your own face heated up and this time you had to look away for a bit. Butterflies fluttered in your stomach. "Yeah. I guess not." you quietly agreed.
"Sorry about my mom though." he said, blushing more from embarrassment. "She's a bit..."
You nodded in understanding. "Wait until you get to know my mom."
After you said those words, you realized the implication in them. Get to know. As in he was going to be around you mother more, and therefore spending time with you as well.
The little twinkle in his eye signaled that he caught what you said as well and he grinned. "Guess we'll just make sure we always have an exit plan and a getaway car."
Suddenly you could picture it, the two of you always running while holding hands, and you smiled. "Sounds good."