FINAL

Beach Day!~

 


 

“Auntie auntie!” a small voice rang through the hallway as it approached Junhee.

 

She smiled as she finished strapping on her bathing suit bra and slipped on a light shirt.

“Auntie! Can Rronggie and I bring Mr. Ppung?’ Naeun, her 6 year old niece asked.

Junhee cooed, “Sure, but we have to make sure he won’t get wet okay?”

“Yes Auntie!” Naeun sped off to get her purple stuffed octopus.

Then came along Chorong, Naeun’s older sister by 3 years, with a small cinch bag on her back and two pigtails bouncing on her sides.

“Auntie! I’m ready! I packed my Godzilla towel, my pink flower lotion, Squishy, Jiji, Yeonnie, my red goggles, my hairbrush, and an extra shirt and an extra pants and an extra underwear and an extra socks just in case, and my new sunglasses,” she pointed to them on her head “are here.”

“Oh wait, what about your beach shoes Rongronggie?” Junhee asked.

“Ohh yeahhh.. I’ll go get those right now!” Chorong said excitedly as she too sped off.

“Auntie~ I got Mr. Ppung!” a small singsong voice said.

“Good job Naeun! ~ Now, let’s get your bag packed.” Junhee escorted Naeun to her bedroom in her and her brother’s apartment.

This summer, her brother Minseok and her were able to have their nieces over while their brother, Jungwoon, and his wife went on a personal vacation to New Zealand. Talk about personal and away. Junhee and Minseok both lived in an apartment not far from the heart of the center of the city. Junhee was in her last year of college and was currently studying neurology working to be a neurologist while her brother, Minseok, having just finished college, was working as a full time barista while still looking for an opening as a producer for big companies that lived in the urban conglomerations. Jungwoon, their oldest brother, was an environmental scientist, who got to travel monthly, even weekly, to different parts of the world. And in this occasion, he decided to take some time off his job to spend it with his wife.

So it was rarely often they got to go visit the beach, with little time on their hands. They have been able to go to their closest beach about 3 times, and once when they both went to San Francisco to go to a friend’s wedding, where they got to touch the soft hot sands.

And it was just now that Minseok and her were finally able to have the perfect time to go to the beach again, only a 50 minute drive. It was just right.

 

Junhee finally put the rest of Naeun’s essentials in her tote bag along with some of the beach essentials and small beach toys. Junhee left Naeun to play while she went out into the kitchen to pack some sandwiches and drinks in the cooler. As she was heading towards the kitchen she noticed Chorong busy watching Godzilla for the 30th time. Junhee chuckled to herself just as her brother snuck up behind the couch and tackled Chorong.

“Rawr rawr rawr!!” Minseok imitated the Godzilla and immediately went into a tickle fight with her emitting tons of laughter and stop-it’s when suddenly, Naeun jumped onto Minseok’s back and clung to his neck. Minseok then fake choking and Naeun cutely yelling, “Run Rronggie run! I got Minnie Monster! Run!!” Minseok then safely flipped Naeun over and started tickling her turning the whole scene into just bunches of laughter.

Junhee brought over the cooler and left it by the toy bucket along her and her brother’s beach bags. She let out another small chuckle at the sight and then clapped her hands together and announced, “Let’s go now so we can grab a good spot!”

Minseok then stopped his tickle attack and stood up and chuckled, “Alright girls, go put your shoes on and get your bags.”

Minseok walked over to Junhee and asked, “You got sunscreen?”

“Check!”

“Their jackets?”

“Yep, check.”

“Okay good, now we can go.” He went over and carried the cooler, the toy bucket, and his bag while Junhee picked hers and Naeun’s and waited for the girls to finish putting on their sparkly flip flops and sandals.

Junhee and her brother lead their nieces to the SUV in the lower basement parking lot of the apartment complex. When they arrive at Minseok’s ship-shape SUV, Junhee makes sure to strap them in into their car seats and booster seats.

“Auntie~ One day I’m going to be a big girl like you and won’t have to sit on this car seat anymore!” exclaimed Naeun.

Junhee smiled and caressed her hair, “Alright, but don’t grow up too fast!”

She slid into the passenger’s seat and awaited her brother who was fixing the rearview mirror to head off.

“All set?”

“Yess Minnie Monster!”

And so, they set off on their 45 minute drive to the beach.

 

“So, Junhee,” Minseok began, eyes still focused on the road, Naeun had fallen asleep while Chorong was reading an advanced level book (the kids were really growing up fast), “do you think Yifan’s still gonna check you out there?”

“Stooooppp,” Junhee whined as she blushed and pouted. “You know I’m not interested in him, I mean, sure he looks attractive and he’s tall and sweet but he’s not my type. And I’m not looking for anyone, you know that Min.”

“I know, I know~ I was just saying it because ever since your last breakup Jun,” Minseok paused to glance at his sister who was looking out the window distractedly, “you just lost a piece of you. It was like he took it from you.”

“I’m happy Min. I’m happy again, that was 2 months ago, and you know that I’m strong, I’m not going to let myself slump into that pit ever again. I promise, okay.” Junhee said calmly as she patted her brother’s shoulder.

“Alright, Junhee, I trust you like always, but I was really insisting since-“

“Noooo~ Min!” Junhee laughed.

“You sure? Because I-“

“Absolutely.”

 

A flying pair of swimming trunks landed on a shorter man’s head. A grumble came from underneath them as the man grabbed the trunks and stuck it away from him as if it were a dirty diaper.

“Really Sehun? Finding Nemo? Where do you even buy your swimwear darling?” the man asked in a prim tone.

The other man, whose back was facing the latter and was rummaging through a drawer for another pair of swim trunks mocked, “Um, Walmart my darling?”.

The shorter one of the two sighed and placed the trunks down on the bed next to him before flopping onto it and letting out a long groan.

“What is it this time you baby deer?” the taller asked as he finally pulled out a decent patterned pair of swimming trunks.

“When is Yixing gonna come- because he said 2:30 and its 2:34, and he’s obviously-“

No sooner did a ring interrupt his sentence.

“Well, hurry along princess, can’t leave your highness waiting at the door for another 20 milliseconds can we-“

The taller was met with the previous pair of swimming trunks and he elicited a groan too.

“YIXING. You DID make it!!”

“Lu, it’s not like I’m late to everything okay. That was only one time, and-“

“No exceptions! You were late to my party and that’s a tardy to everything else!”

The man named Yixing sighed at his friend and set down his beach bag on the nearest armchair. He made himself comfortable on the couch and began flipping through the channels.

“Is Sehun done yet?” Yixing asked as he looked up from the weather channel.

“No, but I think he needs to shop for new trunks because he owns a pair of-“

“YEHET!”

Sehun, the tallest of the three, marched out of his room clad in a pair of penguin patterned trunks and spun around on the cool wooden floor of their shared apartment.

“So whaddaya think?”

The two other men blinked before Yixing smiled.

“Good choice,” he remarked as he stood up and gathered up his beach bag.

Meanwhile..

“What in the world Oh Sehun? Penguins??” Luhan said in disbelief.

Sehun gave Luhan a judging stare and put his hands on his hips.

“Don’t judgee when you’re the one who still wears Deery Lou merch!!” And that was the end of the conversation as Yixing rang his keys.

“You boys coming or are you going to keep arguing? We haven’t got 2 minutes to spare Lu, the parking is going to be hell there.”

That made the final decision as the two other men also gathered up their beach belongings and rushed out in tow.

 

“Oh geez.” Junhee commented under her breath as she kept looking around for a parking space with her brother.

“I really did not expect it to be like this, I mean c’mon, and look at that guy over there, he purposely took up two parking spaces.” Minseok said.

“.” Junhee heard her brother mutter under his breath.

“Hmm..” Junhee hummed as she focused on the other side of the parking lot.

“There, there!! Right there Uncle Minseokie!” Chorong shouted as she pointed her finger against the window to an open spot.

“YESS!” Minseok shouted in glee.

The next events were, well, unfortunate. Another car had sped up and stole the spot.

“Are. You. Kidding. Me!?” Minseok shouted in an inside voice.

“Aww Minnie Monster, that car is bad! Stealing is a no no.” Naeun voiced out as she shook her head.

Junhee squinted at the car as Minseok drove on around slowly.

She spotted three young men, looking around the age of her emerge from the car, with one man wearing a pair of penguin trunks. Junhee mentally made a note to find a way to get revenge on the three.

After successfully finding a vacant spot and unloading their things, Junhee held Naeun’s hand while carrying their beach bags, while Minseok carried the cooler and held Chorong’s hand.

Naeun hummed happily as she skipped along, “Wee~ Auntie, Uncle! I can’t wait to build a sand castle!”

Junhee smiled down at her and adjusted the bags on her shoulder.

They entered the blazing sands and carefully treaded their way to an empty spot, as far as they could, from the lifeguard. Aka Wu Yifan. The perfectly handsome man who had been admiring Junhee ever since she stepped foot on the beach.

Minseok helped spread out the beach blanket and set up the chairs while Junhee stuck the umbrella into the ground with satisfaction.

The weather was perfect, and on top of that she would be spending time with her nieces. Minseok let out a sigh of relief as he plotted himself onto one of the beach chairs. He had taken off his shirt which revealed his hard chiseled abs that always garnered attention. Junhee rolled her eyes and took off her shirt as well but kept on her shorts.

“Auntie, auntie! Let’s go get some water!” Naeun said excitedly as she tugged on Junhee’s hand.

Junhee chuckled and nodded along, Chorong had decided to stay back and read some more while Minseok began his little nap.

Naeun and Junhee gathered enough water in their pails and made their way back to their location and began to immediately work on the sand castle.

It had taken them five minutes to build two levels of sand, with the help of Chorong, who had decided to take a break and join them, and another ten to build the moat and add pretty seashells.

“This, this,” Naeun placed two pale pink shells on the top level, “And this one goes here,” Chorong said as she placed a stick near the moat.

“And that goes here along with this,” Junhee said as she placed some seaweed around the top of the castle.

“Yay!!~” They all shouted in delight as they finally finish their sand castle.

“Auntie Junhee~ I’m so happy we got to make one!”

“Me too!!” Chorong squealed clutching onto an extra seashell.

“Auntie can we go get ice cream now? Pleaseeee~” Naeun said as she latched herself onto Junhee’s arm.

“Yeah Auntie! Pretty pleasee~” Chorong said as well as she latched onto Junhee’s other side.

Junhee giggled and patted both of them on their heads, “Who said I was ever going to say no? Let’s go!”

Chorong and her little sister jumped up and down in glee. Junhee got up from crouching and went to her bag to slip $20 into her pocket and returned to grasp both of her niece’s hands.

“Off we go~”

 

Yixing drove into the parking space just in time before another car.

“Whew, nice one hyung!” Sehun said from the backseat.

“Uh, I’m pretty sure the driver is going to slash our tires and scrape our doors. He doesn’t look too happy..” Luhan said worriedly.

“Hmm.” Yixing just hummed and turned off the engine and grabbed his beach bag as Luhan and Sehun did the same.

“It’s alright, there was another spot over there anyway.” Yixing said nonchalantly.

They walked onto the beach contently, Sehun stretching his arms over his head and pushing down his shades.

“Let’s rock and roll.”

Luhan slid down his shades as well and followed Sehun to a small clearing. Yixing prepared the beach mat while the other two prepared the umbrella and the food.

“Man I am staaaarving!” Luhan chirped as he dug into his sandwich.

“Same here man.” Sehun echoing Luhan’s actions.

“Psht, sometimes I can’t believe you two aren’t like brothers or twins or anything.” Yixing said amusedly. He got up and took off his shirt, “Hey guys, I’m going to go get some ice cream.”

“Alresdhy?” Sehun said with his mouth full of sandwich.

“Eat, then speak young one.”

“I asked, already? Because your sandwich is still here.. unless…” Sehun continued.

“Nah, I’m going to save it for later, right now I am really craving some cookies n’ cream ice cream. See you later!” Yixing said excitedly as he turned to go off he swiftly turned around.

“Oh, do you guys want anything by the way?” Yixing said pointing a finger at both of them.

“No, cansht you shee ahm still eatrhing righ now?”

Yixing rolled his eyes at Luhan and flicked his hand at him, “Alright, alright.”

After receiving the negative responses he skipped his way onto the boardwalk and towards the ice cream stand down the path.

 

Junhee was waiting in long line with Chorong and Naeun, observing the flavors on the stand.

“Do you guys-“

“I want a double scoop chocolate with rainbow sprinkles!” “I want the Hello Kitty one!”

Junhee chuckled, “Okay girls, we’re almost there okay.”

“Okay~” Chorong sing songed as she played with her sunglasses.

Junhee continued to look at the many flavors at the ice cream stand, “Hmm, Naeunnie, what do you think if Auntie-“

“Naeun?”

Junhee began to panic as Naeun wasn’t standing around her anymore or anywhere in her peripheral vision. She looked down at Chorong and sighed in relief before blurting out loud, “Naeun? Naeun? Where are you?”

Chorong then looked up and panicked too and started yelling out for her younger sister, “Naeunnie! Naeun! Nana! Eunnie!”

It was too soon that tears started b Chorong’s eyes and Junhee had to bend down and wipe them away.

“Don’t worry Rronggie, we’re going to find her okay?”

Chorong nods and grips onto Junhee’s hand tightly before being lead away from the stand and walking in all sorts of directions on the boardwalk.

“Naeunnie? Naeun!” Junhee called out, trying her best to look over people’s shoulders (with her pretty short stature) and people passing by.

“Noona?”

Junhee froze. It was his voice. Only his voice.

“Noona? What a surprise, how have you been?”

Junhee shook her head out of her reverie and faced her ex boyfriend.

Jongin.

“Hey.. Nice seeing you here. I’m doing fine.. how are you Jongin?” Junhee says calmly.

“No hug noona? Aw, I feel so unloved.” Jongin says fake clutching his heart.

“Auntie!! Rronggie!” a sudden familiar small voice interrupts the awkward situation and a small body crashes into Junhee’s leg.

Junhee couldn’t be any more relieved than Chorong as they both embrace Naeun.

“Oh Naeun, oh god. I thought I lost you! Where did you go Naeunnie? Huh? Are you hurt? Are you okay?” Junhee said firing off worried inquiries after touching almost all the possible spots she could’ve been hurt.

“Oh Naeun came to see Hayounggie, isn’t that right Naeun?” Jongin said as he tugged on another girl's hand.

“Mhm! Naeunnie came to see me because I saw Naeunnie and she was waving to me and I was waving to her and she ran to me and then we talked!” Hayoung exclaimed.

Naeun also nodded but shamefully, as she hid her face into Junhee’s leg.

“I’m sorry Auntie Junnie, I promised that I wouldn’t leave you but I hadn’t seen Hayoung in two months and I just wanted to say hi…” Naeun said as her voice got softer towards the end.

“Aw baby, it’s okay, it’s okay Naeunnie. Now you know right?” Junhee said hugging Naeun tightly with Chorong.

“That’s right! Don’t leave again.”

“Aw, so cute.” Junhee was awoken to the fact that Jongin was still there watching this all happen.

Junhee coughed a bit before facing Jongin, who had a nice tan build, with a relaxed posture, still holding onto Naeun’s hand tightly.

“Thank you Jongin. It was nice seeing you I hope you’re doing well and everything is alright. Say bye to Hayoung now Naeun.” Junhee said softly.

Naeun made pouty lips before looking up and saying, “Annyeonggie Hayounggie~”

Hayoung smiled brightly and waved at Naeun, “See you in school!”

“Ung!” Naeun replied in a brighter mood.

Junhee tugged on Naeun’s hand, “Let’s go get our ice cream now, okay?”

Naeun immediately lit up and jumped up and down, “Yeah, yeah yeah!! Let’s go Auntie!~” Chorong followed and happily danced around a bit.

“Ah, what a coincidence Junhee, me and my baby sister were planning on going to get some too.”

Oh.

“Shall we go together? As I see Naeun can introduce Chorong to Hayoung.” Jongin suggested quirking an eyebrow at the same time.

Junhee had no idea what his motive was to join them. Whether it truly be for Naeun or be it for another reason, Junhee was not about to let her guard down. She was over the breakup, and she had moved on perfectly fine… but why was her heart rapidly beating for her former jerk of a boyfriend?

Junhee shook her head and smiled, “Let’s go then.”

The three girls all cheered and happily walked back towards the ice cream stand.

Well one thing she forgot was, well… this was awkward.

“So what brings you and the kids here? My family decided to have an outing here, we were supposed to come last week but I had a recital that day so, yeah, it didn’t work out. But now that I’m here, it’s great, especially with the weather.” Jongin stated casually.

Junhee was shocked that this once player-dance major was actually being nicer? In their relationship, it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing. They had merely gone out together because of a mutual friend, and then, after a few more dates, they were smitten like a young lovey dovey couple. However, a month after, Jongin had started to act out on her and become scary, it was then that Junhee had just found out that he had been cheating on three other girls as well and was the reason for Junhee’s mental breakdowns after she had broken up with him.

Not great of an experience but worth learning from. That was why Minseok had been so worried about her; she had drowned herself in constant sadness and had been upset that she had been unlucky. However, after a week with her brother on a trip to Montreal, she had regained her spirit and happiness once again. Finding that, it wasn’t just in the people she dated, but in the world too.

Junhee hummed as she came back to reality again, “Well my oldest brother and sister-in-law went for a vacation halfway across the world in New Zealand and had left his daughters with my brother and I, and since we don’t go to the beach as often, we decided today was a good day.”

She continued to walk and stared at the large expanse of the sea and smiled a bit to herself. But then turned to look at Jongin, who was a head taller than her. Her voice softened a little as she prodded,

“What’s up with you? You seem changed.”

Jongin chuckled and used his other hand to rub his neck, “A lot of things… after my sisters found out about my promiscuous relationships they scolded me and punished me for my wrong doings. To be honest, I didn’t exactly know how to manage a good relationship,” he paused,

“My sisters started to teach everything and anything to become a better person, after all of it; I came out and realized how ty of a person I was. And…” he turned to look at Junhee in the eyes as they slowly approached the cart.

“How horribly I treated you…”

“Oh Jongin, it’s alright now. I’m okay now, I am, you didn’t know any better, even though you broke my heart then and broke my spirit, I learned how to live it all back up. And it changed me too, in the good way.” Junhee spoke softly as she offered a smile to him.

Jongin smiled back, and if it wasn’t for their current conversation, she would’ve thought his eyes and smile meant something else- but she delved no deeper.

“I forgive you Jongin. If you didn’t know that, I do.”

“Oh.. I don’t deserve it, I feel so-“

“Jongin, I forgive you, lighten up okay?” Junhee laughed lightly, “It was a bad relationship, and those things can happen okay.”

Jongin looked at her and grinned as he squeezed Hayoung’s hand, who looked down at their conjoined hands and looked back up at the girl who her brother was talking to.

“Okay Jun, thanks. I.. I appreciate it. Really.” Jongin said sheepishly.

“Hey. Since when did I say you can call me Jun again?” Junhee said sending a non menacing glare at him.

“Unnie~ did you know that when he looks at people like that that means he likes-“ before Hayoung could finish her statement Jongin quickly put his hand over and frighteningly looked up at Junhee.

“Uh, um, don’t mind her, she says a lot of things that don’t make sense. Like purple dinosaurs like Barney exist.”

Junhee blushed suddenly at Hayoung’s statement and let out a quiet giggle at Jongin’s following declaration.

“They do exist Nini!! Oh my goshhh.” Hayoung said exasperatedly.

But then, the truth dawned on her, Did Jongin really like her again? Was he here really to ask her back? The sudden thoughts confused her and her feelings. No, I moved on, he’s changed now, but I don’t want to go back, no. No.

“Uh, so Junhee, um, I was going to ask if-“ Jongin was briefly cut off by the three little girls shouting of ice cream flavors.

Junhee was scared of what he was going to ask next. (Even if it was offering to pay for their ice creams.)

Their attention was brought to the girls who were shouting left and right.

“I want double scoop chocolate with rainbow sprinkles!” “Nini! Nini!! I want the Spiderman one!” “I wannie the Hello Kitty one auntie!”

“Alright alright little ones.” Jongin hushed them down, Junhee’s heart was still beating loudly, awaiting his question. I know he’s going to ask. Just. Say. No.

Jongin then turned to her, “What flavor do you want?”

She blinked several times before a hand went up to touch her forehead and she finally reacted and flinched a bit. “I’m fine Jongin, really, maybe it’s the heat or something.”

Jongin didn’t seem too convinced but went with it anyway, “So any flavor?”

“Uh, just strawberry will do, thanks…” Jongin sent a worried look her way before paying for all their ice creams after some protests and money shoving from Junhee.

“Ah, I’m afraid we’re all out on the Hello Kitty one, sorry sweetie.” The man at the vendor said regretfully.

Junhee finally snapped out of her daze and crouched down and hugged Naeun who pouted.

“It’s okay Naeunnie, we can always get another flavor okay?”

Naeun was silent and responded sadly, “Okayy..”

Unbeknownst to a certain stranger who had bought it and was watching the situation in conflict.

 

Yixing happily walked up to the shortening line and double checked the bills in his hands. Even though Luhan and Sehun had declined for ice cream, Yixing decided to buy it anyway and leave it in the cooler so that they didn’t have to walk all the way to the ice cream stand almost on the other side.

He finally moved up to the stand and tapped his chin.

“I’ll have a strawberry kiwi fruit bar, a… birthday cake on a cone, and the Hello Kitty bar please.”

They didn’t have any Bambi or taro ice cream, so he had resorted to get him Hello Kitty. (his second favorite.) Yixing paid up for the three ice creams and moved to the side to make way for the other customers. He tested out the blue birthday cake ice cream and moaned happily.

“Oh god, this is so good. Wow.” He himself was even shocked at his own adventurous choice.

A sudden cry interrupted his little talk and made the mistake to look over and spot a short-haired woman and a taller more tanned male who was watching one of the three little girls pout.

Oh geez, she pouted. And it struck Yixing a little that he had taken the last Hello Kitty bar there.

For a grown 25 year old man over a small 5 year old looking child.

Yixing couldn’t bear it anymore and decided to do it.

He walked up to the little girl and tapped her shoulder, the girl turned around and blinked at him with almost teary eyes. Not noticing other eyes, he handed her the bar.

“Here you go sweetie, you can have it. I was going to give it to, uh, a noona, but I think she will be absolutely delighted if she knows that you got it instead.” He said offering a dimpled smile (and inwardly cracking up for calling Luhan a noona, he was definitely going to get beaten if he found out about this).

The little girl suddenly glowed and what happened next was unexpected as she reached out to poke at his dimple in awe.

“Mister! You have, you have a little hole in your cheek! And you’re so handsome~ Even more handsomie than my uncle Minnie! The monster!” the little girl giggled.

He smiled back and chuckled at her statement, a little confused about her uncle being a monster, and reached out to ruffle her hair, “Uh, thank you, heh, it’s called a dimple.” He explained.

“U-uh, hi.. um thank you so much for-“ another voice, which probably belonged to the girl who had been ignored by Yixing and was standing right there, made eye contact with him. And wow, was she beautiful.

She stopped mid sentence and blushed and scratched her collarbone looking him shyly. Cute. She had shoulder length brown hair and pale skin and bright looking eyes. Yixing felt his heart flutter. He shook his head out of it and blushed at his own thoughts.

“I, uh, just want to thank you for giving my niece the ice cream. I’ll buy you another one for your-“

“No no no! It’s alright, I got it, but thank you and anytime, I couldn’t bear it to see her like that.” Yixing said sincerely, rubbing his wrist.

“O-oh, okay then. I, um, then, can I make it up to you any other way?”

“H-“ before Yixing could finish saying ‘how about we hang out at the beach together with your nieces?’ The tan male who had left momentarily had returned and put his arm around her.

Oh. Yixing tried to hide the disappointment in him.

The girl who had noticed this too, pushed away his arm softly and gave him a “look” turning to him, and said, “Jongin, let’s talk for a bit okay?”

“I’m sorry, can you just give us a moment, and look after the girls. I’m really sorry.” she said.

Yixing nodded (a little too) eagerly and moved the girls away from the stand to the side where he was at.

“So, what are your names?” he piped up.

The tallest and the oldest looking girl shot her hand up in the air, “I’m Chorong! And I’m 9 years old!”

Another girl, who was slightly shorter shyly looked at him, Yixing internally cooed, “I’m Hayounggie and I’m 4 years old!” she held up four of her tiny little fingers. Yixing internally cooed again.

“And I’m Naeunnie kind Mister~ I’m 6 years old! Thank you so much for the ice cream! My auntie will surely go out on a date with you Mister Handsome Dimple Man!” the little girl squealed.

Yixing blushed and grinned at the statement, “Haha, thank you, eat your ice creams now, so they don’t melt alright?”

He received all positive replies and sooner they were all contently eating their ice creams under one of the stand’s umbrella.

Chorong suddenly spoke up and said, “Naeunnie is right! You are more handsome than Uncle Minnie. Good judgment.” Yixing just blushed even more and waved them off a little, “I appreciate the compliments girls, but I’m sure that I’m not at all.”

They all nodded and continued to and .

“Say, is your auntie dating that young man who she went to talk to?”

“No~ My Nini and Naeunnie’s auntie used to see each otherie a lotta and then one day she left him because my Nini was being a bad boy. But now, I’m shore my brother will ask to be on their auntie!” Hayoung remarked.

“No no! Not be on our auntie Junhee, its be with Hayoungie.” The oldest corrected.

Hayoung nodded in acknowledgement and just continued to finish her ice cream. Yixing smiled subconsciously at now knowing her name, and now pondered whether or not his chance was taken away. Before he could continue, the girl returned with the young man in tow.

“Hey, I’m sorry about that, but maybe you can come back with us for a little while and we can talk instead? I’m sorry I forgot to introduce myself, I’m-“

“Junhee, a pretty name for someone pretty like you.”

For sure, Sehun would’ve kicked him in the balls for his sudden cheesiness.

Junhee nodded shyly again and the two girls went to Junhee and Hayoung returned to the young man.

“We’ll talk again Jun?” the young tan male said from behind her.

Junhee turned around and looked down, “Sorry.. maybe another time.”

The young male nodded quietly and held onto Hayoung’s hand and waved goodbye to the two little girls.

“Bye Naeunnie, bye Chorong~” the tan male bid along with his little sister.

“Bye bye Naeunnie! Bye bye Choronggie!”

The two other girls waved back and clutched onto Junhee’s fingers.

Yixing took this as the cue to introduce himself as they all looked at him unexpectedly. “Oh, um, my name is Zhang Yixing. It’s nice to meet you.”

Junhee smiled and dipped her head a little before returning the greeting, “My name is Kim Junhee, and it’s nice to meet you too.”

Junhee had pulled Jongin aside after letting the kind man with the adorable dimple watch over the girls.

Jongin had a look on him that sort of resembled jealousy and fear. Probably of the aspect that she was going to scold him. (Not that it was entirely off what she was planning to do)

“Jongin, why did you do that?” Junhee asked softly. She didn’t want to sound too apprehensive already.

He looked around as if he was searching for a missing person amidst the crowd before finally returning his gaze on her and replied, “He was flirting with you Jun, you saw him. And I couldn’t..” he trailed off and Junhee picked up.

“Jongin, we aren’t dating anymore remember? I know you’re trying to look out for me but.. I think- no I know, I can handle these types of ‘boy things’ on my own.” She said putting a hand on his shoulder to which he placed his own hand over.

He breathed out quietly and nodded a little before continuing,

“Alright then… but I was going to ask you before.. if you would like to go back out with me.. and after this, I can sense what your answer is. But can you give me another chance? A second chance?” Jongin pleaded.

Junhee felt her heart drop and then bounce back up and then do mini somersaults that she didn’t ask for and the question she had been dreading had finally been asked.

She remembered and memorized her answer. No. Just say no. It’s no. No Junhee, don’t.

And that was when she looked at him in the eyes earnestly, and said, “No, I’m sorry Jongin, but I moved on. And even though I can clearly see that you’ve changed and become a better person, I want you to meet someone else who will bring newer and better experiences to you in the future. I know I can provide you with those types of experiences too, but I think, it would be best for you to move on too, Jongin.” She let out a shaky sigh and removed her hand from his shoulder and held it in her other.

It took a little bit for Jongin to process what she said before swallowing the lump in his throat and opening his mouth to speak again.

“I…” but nothing came out and that was when Jongin tried to force himself to realize to move on as well. But just a little part of him wouldn’t, and when he tried to reach out for her hand again she moved it away and said those same words again.

“I’m sorry Jongin. I- we, we should get back to the kids.” And like that, Junhee turned around and went to seek for her nieces.

Jongin let out another tiny sigh and followed her back.

After finally watching the young tan male leave with his cute little sister, Yixing had let out a sigh that he didn’t know he had been holding.

He smiled and after seeing the two girls hold onto their aunt’s fingers, he took it as a cue and said flustered, “Oh, um, my name is Zhang Yixing. It’s nice to meet you.”

Junhee smiled and dipped her head a little before returning the greeting, “My name is Kim Junhee, and it’s nice to meet you too.”

His insides were going crazy and if his heart could, it would probably jump right out of his chest. But no, he had to be civilized.

He sent another charming smile before Junhee spoke up, “So, um, who are you-“

“My bro! There you are!” “XinggXinggggggg-“

Two very loud voices interrupted Junhee’s sentence.

What Junhee turned around to was a coincidence and non other than Mr. Penguin Trunks!

Her first reaction was to jump at his throat, but held back when she noticed the shorter one saying Xingxing, which meant that…

“You! It was you!” another small voice spoke instead as Junhee looked down and saw as Chorong pointed a finger at Oh-so-kind-Mr. Dimple Man. Yixing looked taken aback and widened his eyes in surprise.

“And ah-hah!” a second voice, a little tinier, who none other belonged to Naeun, exclaimed. “We found you Mister Penguin!- oh wow Mr. Penguin is soo taall!” Naeun said as she craned her head all the way back to peer at his face.

Junhee was just stuck in between words and actions as they all looked at each other.

“Wow you’re-“ “Damn Xing you-“ “Guys! I was-“ “I didn’t know penguins-!” “I thought you were nice Mister-“

“Guys guys guys.” Junhee cleared and put out her hands.

Everybody stopped and looked at her, which made her flush a little but nonetheless regain her posture and voice.

“Okay, Yixing,” she said unintentionally with a little force, “Who are they?” Junhee said looking at the two guys peculiarly, Mr. Penguin Trunks eyes were gazed intensely on her and she just held onto her niece’s hands a little tighter.

“Woah, woah, woah- wait you know her Xing?” the shorter guy said looking at her with wide eyes.

“Okay, guys first off, this is Junhee. She’s a nice young woman I just met earlier while getting ice cream with her nieces Chorong.. and… Naeun..” Yixing trailed off worriedly as the both of them squinted at him. “And uh, these are my friends, Luhan,” Yixing gestured to the shorter one with blonde hair, “and Sehun.. um who you called-“

“You! You stole that parking space from our Uncle Minnie! Uncle Minnie-“ Naeun started as Luhan cooed and Junhee quickly patted Naeun’s shoulder, “Shhshsh, it’s okay Naeun, we’ll talk about this after.” And that quieted Naeun down, but still left her cross-armed.

Sehun, the tall brunette with a poker face, suddenly let out a boisterous laugh. “Hahah, I’m Mr. Penguin?”

“See! I told you someone would say something!” Luhan said smirking.

Then, out of nowhere, Junhee jumped as a “YOU!” boomed, which caused several bystanders to look at them, and there was her brother Minseok.

“Uncle Minnie!! Yay Uncle Minnie!” Naeun cheered as she ran into Minseok’s arms who picked her up happily.

Then he turned and faced the three of them, “You guys were the ones who swerved into that parking space earlier?!” Minseok said as Naeun crossed her arms and faced them in his arms.

And out of the corner of Junhee’s eye she swore Luhan was blushing and fanning himself over Minseok. (Or it was the heat, or both)

Junhee quickly intervened before anything got too too serious, “Hey hey Minseok, it’s alright. Um, they’re actually pretty nice guys. They didn’t mean to, and besides, Yixing gave up his Hello Kitty ice cream for his Noona for Naeun!” Junhee said lightly.

Now that she had met Yixing, it wasn’t all that bad, and besides, those incidents happen all the time.

Wait, was she letting herself get smitten?

“Wait.. did you just say noona- I-“

“Wait wait Luhan I can ex-“

“YIXINGGGGGG!!!!!” and suddenly Luhan had pounced onto Yixing who yelped, and was now choking him but was pulled back by the tallest one and held back before Luhan could impose any other organ damage.

Yixing felt as if his esophagus and trachea were going to crush. Oh lord, karma did come back and crush his windpipes.

Coughing a bit and standing up again he quickly explained, “Ah Luhan! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! I swear to Deery Lou!-“

“DON’T YOU DARE SWEAR TO MY-I MEAN AH-,” before Luhan could turn any red, Sehun simply squished his cheeks and squeezed his shoulders.

“Shush it hyung, geez, don’t you see we have another problem here?” he had said it in such a calm but sassy? way that if Junhee hadn’t met Yixing before Sehun and if Sehun wasn’t part of this parking-lot-problem trio, she would’ve truly admired him instead. But none of that-

Minseok stood there struck by Luhan’s rage and blinked before regaining his posture and pointing at the three of them, “Alright, I trust my sister on this, I forgive you- but only with one exception.”

Minseok said as he readjusted Naeun in his arms, “You guys clean your car.”

Junhee laughed and hung her head. That was possibly the least cruel punishment ever, and they wouldn’t even be cleaning their car, which was very clean, due to Minseok’s tidiness save for the small clatter of their niece’s toys and books (And Junhee’s extra clothes shoved into the backseat pockets).

They all looked at her brother in confusion, “Huh??”

Chorong giggled and held Yixing’s hand, “Yeah!”

Junhee tried not to get jealous, but who is she to get jealous at? Chorong was her niece! (Junhee’s feelings for Yixing turns out to be more than a crush, she realizes)

“It’s the best you guys can do; after all, you haven’t really seen Minnie Monster have you?”

Okay, maybe Junhee just didn’t smack her own forehead and shake it as she heard the kids spouting out non-threatening threats.

Yixing giggled and looked towards her as she blushed and waved him off.

Luhan seemed appalled and Sehun just shrugged.

“Xing, it’s your car, you go clean it.”

“Well if you insist on walking home then fine.”

“I’ll just catch a ride with pretty noona and Minnie Monster thanks.”

“Heyyy-“

They all let out a laugh as the atmosphere’s tension lessened.

Even Minseok! And that’s when he spoke up, “Well,” he coughed, “The punishment is still there, and I’ll be there to watch you- but just when you guys are about to head home. Deal?”

“Deal.” Yixing said as he extended his unoccupied hand towards Minseok who  took it and shook it.

“Good.” Minseok smiled, “I’m Minseok, if you hadn’t noticed, and I’m the uncle of these crazy girls,” (in which he received some protests) “and brother of Junhee over here.” He pointed his thumb to Junhee and they all nodded.

After he introduced himself Minseok piqued up, “Well, where did you guys set up?”

“Oh, we’re in the middle not far from the shore and we have a bright blue beach umbrella with a rabbit on it.” Sehun explained.

“Oh, oh! That one? We’re like three people over to the right!” Minseok replied as they all started heading back.

Today wasn’t so bad of a day, Junhee thought, as a large palm and warm fingers intertwined with hers. She looked up to see the handsome side profile of the person she thinks she just might like to spend the rest of the day with.

Yifan had been strolling along the shore sporting the uniform red trunks, shades, whistle around his neck, and the required rescue tube which he casually held to his side.

Wherever Yifan went he could tell there were always eyes following him (most of them from young women and teenagers who some even asked for pictures that Yifan was glad to be in). No he didn't say that.

Like any other day, this day wasn't any different. Wu Yifan had gotten his lifeguard certification over three years ago and now every summer since then he volunteered to be a lifeguard. Yifan genuinely enjoyed the job, not only did he get to be admired he get to help the community but also enjoy the beach and all its amenities.

Yifan blew on his whistle several times signaling some of the younger kids to not go out too far. He had encountered many instances of which some kids were too scared to come back to shore after going out far. Although he didn't mind, he was a lifeguard after all.

Yifan let the whistle hang from his lips and he strolled farther.

Another thing about the beach: he had a not-so-secret crush on one fellow beach goer.

From the first time he had seen her in his first year of lifeguarding since then, he has never been able to take his eyes off of her (aside from surveying the shore and other duties).

Yifan had then foolishly called it “love.” Despite seeing her only three times in total over the course of time he has been working, Yifan had yearned to engage in a full conversation with her.

And her name was Kim Junhee.

Yifan won't deny that he was looking for her, but he was. At this thought he let the whistle drop from his lips and covered his face with one of his hands in embarrassment.

Yifan was strolling a little bit past the midpoint of his lifeguard tower when he spotted two young girls with a pail getting water, one of them was holding wet sand and the shorter one of the two was holding a heavy pail filled with water to the brim. He didn't know if the shorter was older or…

No later did his thoughts end when the shorter tripped and spilling the water out scraping her leg on shell.

Yifan quickly rushed to her and got to his knees to inspect the wound. Shoot. He wasn't equipped for medical mishaps but he tried his best to calm the girl who was know crying and clutching her leg.

The scratch wasn't that big but it was pretty decent to cause enough pain, the taller one had yelped, “Naeunnie!! Oh no I'll get Aunty and Uncle!” and ran off.

Yifan tried his best and brought out a tissue from his pocket of his trunks and patted the little trickle of blood, the little girl, whose name was Naeun, whimpered and she clutched onto his arm with her little hands.

He mumbled some comforting words to her as he pressed lightly along the scratch. “It's okay, it'll be okay, shhh..”

“Naeunnie!! Oh no..” a soft voice interrupted his soothing, Yifan looked up just in time to see the very love of his life.

Staring at her he was too dazed to notice her blush and shake her cute head before bending down to cradle Naeun in her arms.

The moment was broken by other masculine voices and he broke his gaze away from Junhee as he spotted two unfamiliar faces, or rather faces he wouldn't probably seem to remember. They were both men, which, shouldn't have raised flags for Yifan but did anyway since they were coming in close proximity to Junhee.

It was probably for her Naeun and not just- Yifan shook his head and got up as Junhee got up with her supposed niece in her arms.

She bowed her head shyly at him, and mumbled a “Thank you” before turning away to quickly rush back to their beach spot.

Yifan couldn't stop smiling at her as she rushed away, the other two men had picked up the pail, holding onto the hand of the taller girl and following pursuit of Junhee.

Yifan couldn't help but hide the twinge of jealousy.

Today, he decided, he was going to try to at least try to talk to Kim Junhee.

-

Oh god. Junhee’s mind went into “stay-calm-but-panic” mode after Chorong had rushed to her telling her Naeun had scraped her leg badly.

Junhee was watching the kids, but as she turned her back for a second luck didn't stay on her side.

 

The guys and her brother and nieces had returned back to their spots, Yixing deciding to hang around Junhee and her nieces, much to Minseok’s approval.

Sehun and Luhan were about to go out to swim with Minseok when Naeun’s accident happened. Minseok had rummaged for the first aid kit with Yixing preparing cleaning medicine while Sehun and Luhan as well as Chorong accompanied Junhee to Naeun.

Quickly going to Naeun’s side, she soon realized that a familiar figure was kneeling beside her dabbing at the apparent scrape.

Junhee softly called out, “Naeunnie!! Oh no..”

Not only because Naeun was bawling her eyes out but because it was none other than Wu Yifan, the lifeguard that had been crushing on her since three years ago. Call for perfect timing, the Wu Yifan had looked up from ushering comforting words to her and looked at her. (Which quickly turned into staring)

Junhee blushed by the intensity of his gaze and shook her head before kneeling down to collect Naeun in her arms. Junhee mumbled a quick shy “Thank you” before quickly going back to where Minseok and Yixing were with the first aid kit.

Luhan and Sehun had picked up the pail and bowed at Yifan for his help, offering to take the tissue and throw it away. Yifan waved them off and stood up to watch the scene a bit before he slowly, very slowly, making his way back to his post.

Naeun had a minor scrape along her leg and Yixing had applied antibiotic cream and foam to clean it. Minseok held tightly onto her as she whimpered throughout the whole time sniffling about it stinging while Chorong sang her the Pororo theme song.

When the wound was clean, Junhee put two nice Hello Kitty band aids over it which caused a smile to form on her niece’s face. Junhee smiled back and everyone was finally relieved of the accident.

She gave a few words of caution to the girls again about safety, Minseok decided to go with the two girls again to get water with him being the one carrying the pail this time. Luhan, who Junhee noticed took a liking to her brother, tagged along.

Sehun rolled his eyes at him and smirked knowingly, but otherwise decided to stay in the shade. Yixing on the other hand was tired already and was currently lying down on their mat scrolling through his phone.

Junhee turned her head and saw the familiar lifeguard heading back down the shore and took a breath before deciding to catch up to him.

 

“Wait! Uh, Yifan..” Junhee called out as her short legs finally stood by his towering figure.

Wow. Of all the times Junhee had encountered Yifan she had never really stood this close to him and now that she realized it, she looked pretty (okay very) tiny.

Before she could help herself she blurted out, “How tall are you!? You're so giant-”

Yifan, who noticed her calling had turned around and blinked before laughing out loud at her remark.

Junhee gushed and covered her face before letting her hands slide down and coughed a bit.

“Ehem, um, I-”

“And to answer your question, I am 6’1 and a half.”

“Oh- oh wow, that's tall. Like really tall.” Junhee said in surprise. She felt like Naeun to Sehun earlier and shook her head a bit before returning to her original statement.

“But, I just wanted to say thanks for earlier. Thanks for what you did.” Junhee offered a smile to him and couldn't help but blush. Again.

She had never realized how handsome he was up close, his dirty blonde hair looked good on him (not that she would say that out loud) and his shades, which now were perched on his head, made him look more like a model than a lifeguard.

Or a lifeguard model. Or- one of the two.

Yifan smiled back at her and rubbed his nape a little before waving her off, “Nah, it's alright, I was just doing what everyone else would've done. I'm glad she's alright.”

Junhee nodded at that and looked back to see her brother and Luhan splashing around with Chorong and Naeun, and Sehun still lounging with Yixing giving a weird look-

“But uh, Junhee?” Yifan said, breaking into her gaze.

She ignored it and looked back at him and hummed, “Yeah?”

“Uhm, I was wondering if we could meet sometime, um, get to know each other better?”

Oh. Oh. OH.

Junhee was stunned a bit and caught off guard (no pun intended) and gaped at him. Yifan only chuckled a bit in response, “I'll give you my number and yeah?”

Junhee dumbly nodded and realized she didn't have anything to write with, but Yifan pulled out a tissue and pen, a little suspiciously planned if she were to say so herself, and wrote his number down and handed it to her.

“Uh thanks, um, Yifan? I just wanted to say that, I really think,” here it goes Junhee, “you're a super sweet and kind and awesome guy, you're handsome and I love your personality, but I think we would make great friends.” Junhee let out a tiny breath. She glanced up at Yifan to discover a calm face.

“Oh, alright.. Yeah sure-! I- we can be friends. I'm glad, I really am.” Yifan smiled nervously.

Junhee felt bad but she stuck to her decision in the car and smiled back warmly at him. “Me too Yifan, me too.”

 

“Hyung.”

“...”

“Hyung.”

“...”

“Hyung?”

A deep sigh.

“You're doing a better job at burning his back more than the sun.”

A grunt.

“Hyung.”

“Hyung.”

“Hyung. You're turning green.”

“...”

“Sehun just hush okay. I'm not jealous.” Yixing scoffs.

“Not jealous my hyung.”

“Whatever.”

“...”

“So you really like her hyung?” a hint of smile laced in the Sehun’s voice.

Yixing spluttered and spilt some coke on his newly toned abs.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA, Oh hyung you're so obvious. Pffft.”

Another grunt and a sigh.

“You're right, I guess I do.”

“You guess?”

“I.. I do.”

Sehun smirked and slid down his shades again as Yixing blushed a little and wiped at himself.

After bidding Yifan farewell and a “take care,” Junhee went over to where Minseok and Luhan were carrying the girls on their shoulders and patted Chorong’s back before skipping to sit down and grab a refreshment.

She flashed a smile to Sehun who smirked suspiciously. Junhee wearily took note and went over to grab a Sprite and plopped down next to Yixing who hadn't cast a glance at her.

He was staring intently at his phone, scrolling without any bother.

Weird.. Junhee stretched a bit before deciding to do something daring. She leaned a bit onto Yixing and sipped quietly on her drink.

Sehun, if he had noticed her action, didn't make any sign that he did, only yawning loudly.

Yixing stiffened a bit at first before carefully wrapping his arm around Junhee and flushing a little.

Now if Sehun noticed any of it, he sure did make a sign of it by wearing the smuggest look on his face ever. Junhee also flustered a little, busied herself by taking out her camera and taking pictures of the playful group of people in front of her.

Today wasn't so bad, it was actually a pretty good day. Junhee smiled at the thought.

 

Yixing tried his best to avoid looking at Junhee. He knew he was acting really jealous but how could he not when they were talking so casually?

He focused only on his phone and sighed a bit, scrolling through his weibo.

He felt Junhee look at him before grabbing a drink from the cooler and sitting next to him. Yixing suddenly didn't know if it got hotter or not but he started sweating a bit from the close proximity.

But, Yixing kept his cool and continued scrolling.

Then, Yixing suddenly felt Junhee lean onto his side and his side felt on fire. Oh my god.

He didn't know what to do at first and stilled a bit, then decided to casually snake his arm around her and keep it around her shoulder.

Keep it cool Zhang. Keep it cool.

He could, however, feel the smug look on Sehun. (to which Yixing could do nothing but feel the burn) Junhee then picked up her camera and took pictures of Luhan, Minseok, and the girls and smiled.

He smiled a bit before turning to look at the woman beside him, with a charming smiling and cute crescent eye smile that had made his breath hitch at first sight.

And after glancing at her over and over, the feeling never changed.

 

 

THE END.

okaybut are we not going to discuss yifan

 

 

Junhee spoke up, “Um, that was Yifan, he's the lifeguard on the West side of the beach and he's had a crush on me for a long while,” she giggled, “but I was never interested in him, so we agreed to be just friends and he gave me his phone number.”

Yixing pursed his lips and muttered blankly, “Really?”

Junhee giggled at his expression and shook her head, “Yeah, I mean I only really have one person I'm interested in at the moment.”

“Hm? And who's that?” Yixing said, heart thumping rapidly in his chest. He knew he was probably the answer, but he wanted to hear from her voice.

“You silly. Um I mean,” she turned beet red and Yixing let out a laugh at her cuteness. Cute, he thought.

“Yeah, it's you.”

Yixing nodded and couldn't help the wide grin that was spreading across his face. Junhee noticed and smiled too, still red. He bumped his head lightly on the side of hers.

“Good, because me too.”

 

-

Luhan and Minseok returned soon after with the girls, and Minseok grinned at the sight.

“So about time?”

Chorong and Naeun wrapped themselves in their towels and sat down to eat the sandwiches Minseok and Junhee packed.

Luhan sat next to Sehun and looked at him briefly before saying, “So?”

“Yixing. Taken.” Sehun smirked.

THE END!

 

-

“Don't forget, you have to clean your car before-”

“Yeah we get it Minnie-”

“Minnie?! Who is this Minnie??”

 

THE END!! FINALLY.