Final

Over You
Please log in to read the full chapter

We were so in love, a perfect match others said. We weren't over touchy like any other annoying couples but we trusted each other so much as if we were one mind.

I really thought we were each other's fate.

That was why it hurt so much when you sat alone on the kitchen island and I stood by the corridor, listening to you confess everything, that you’ve been struggling to keep up what we have.

That you didn't love me as much as you used to.

You apologized then left our - now my - apartment with a suitcase that I never knew you’ve prepared.

I begged you but you said it would be best for both of us, that we were going to hurt each other if we keep it going.

Losing you felt like losing my heart and I started seeing things in monotone.

My friends tried to cheer me up, helping me getting over you and moving on. They were considerate but it wasn't enough.

Then I met her.

She was so awkward yet funny at the same time. It was her charm. She kept watching over me and always making sure I’m okay.

She was looking for a place to live and I, despite my introvert personality, offered my apartment and she agreed.

Her presence started to fill the hole you left in the apartment. She had different tastes and styles, a total opposite of you that it didn't take long for me to get used to her and forgot that you once lived here with me.

She loved to play games with me despite her bad skills. Something you would always avoid. A veteran gamer like me normally would rather play alone, but seeing her grunting and getting salty every time she lost was funny so I didn't mind playing with her.

We were quite happy with our label-less relationship. We knew we liked each other, but she was being considerate, knowing I still have that hole you left have yet completely closed.

She would wait for the time I’d be ready to accept her.

And I appreciated that.

One day I was busy setting up an additional family to my gaming rig, a monitor that I’ve been saving up to buy when she knocked on the door.

"Saku-ya.”

I felt my heart throb and I almost dropped the monitor when I heard that. Among many nicknames people gave me, you were the only one who called me that.

I slowly turned around and saw her standing by the doorframe. Her face showed curiosity, worry, and sadness.

She looked afraid.

She didn't wait for my answer and continued, “there’s someone looking for you outside.”

I wasted no time to tie all the facts together.

My guess was proven right when I see you standing awkwardly in front of the door. Even your greeting was awkward. I guess you must be taken aback by her presence in my apartment.

You asked if I could join you for lunch since it has been a while since we last saw each other and you wanted to catch up with things. With me.

But without her.

I felt a small tug on the back of my shirt. She must be standing right behind me then I felt her forehead pressed against my shoulder.

She was whimpering.

Please log in to read the full chapter