g h o s t o f y o u

Ghosts of you

Here I am waking up 
Still can't sleep on your side

 

It was past midnight and Taemin was trying to go back to sleep. He had awoken abruptly from a dream and was unable to go back to sleep. He laid on the spacious bed, hands reaching out onto the empty space beside him. He remembered when a certain someone used to occupy that space. Her scent was long gone. Remains of his memories lay there instead.

Taemin decided to head to the kitchen so he could make himself a glass of warm milk. He walked slowly to the kitchen, the slipper making a sound with every step he took. Ruffling his hair with one hand, the other reached out for his coffee cup.

 

There's your coffee cup 
The lipstick stain fades with time

 

Taemin's hand stopped for a moment and froze as he stared at the coffee cup. It was a plain baby pink coffee cup. It came in a matching set. Taemin had a plain baby blue coffee cup instead. The same coffee cup which his left hand was glued onto. 

Taemin took Naeun's coffee cup and examined it. It was dumb but he couldn't help but examine the last few physical evidence of their relationship. There was a lipstick stain which was close to fading away. The faded stain reminding him of how long it had been since they had broken up. The thought only made Taemin want to smash the cup in anger and frustration. The grip on the cup tightened as his thumb softly caressed the fading stain. He sighed loudly and placed it on the counter.

Taemin took his matching coffee cup and poured milk into it. He placed the cup into the microwave, staring into thin air while waiting for the milk to heat up. As he closed his eyes, he could only imagine her figure. Memories flooded his mind even when he was asleep but the moment he opened his eyes, he realised it was all just a dream. 

 

If I can dream long enough 
You'd tell me I'd be just fine
I'll be just fine

 

Returning back to reality, Taemin took his coffee cup and sat at the kitchen island. Sitting on the tall stool, he sips on his warm milk reminded of the memories in the kitchen. He recalled all the good and even bad memories they spent together in the kitchen.

The fights and arguments which took place in the kitchen. Their final argument which led to their break up occured in the kitchen. Taemin could picture the scenario clearly. He could remember how Naeun stormed out of the kitchen as he chased her down the hallway of their apartment, at that point of time.

 

So I drown it out like I always do
Dancing through our house 
With the ghost of you

 

The milk made Taemin feel sleepy again but his mind was still feeling active. Taemin opened the cabinet and took out his favourite bottle of wine. It was already half drank. This was also Naeun's favourite wine. It was also the same wine they drank to celebrate their first anniversary together. The two loved to drink red wine late at night, talking and enjoying each other's presence. 

He poured wine into his empty coffee mug and drank the wine. The sweetness overpowering his body. Taemin had poured himself at least three cups of wine. He left the kitchen, his mug in one hand as he walked around the house. Every corner of the apartment had some memory of Naeun. He could see Naeun every where. 

 

And I chase it down 
With a shot of truth
Dancing through our house 
With the ghost of you

 

Taemin sat down on the couch, leaving his mug on the coffee table. As he sat there, he could almost feel Naeun's past presence. He looked around the living room, all sorts of emotions made its way into his heart.

Naeun's slim figure appeared in his mind. How she would greet him the warmest smile on her face, arms spread open to engulf him in a hug. He'd sway her around as they moved carelessly around the living room, dancing to the sound of the bustling city. 

 

Cleaning up today
Found that old Zepplin shirt
You wore when you ran away 
And no one could feel your hurt

 

He'd also recall how she'd wear one of his many printed tees. It was always too big for her but she loved it that way. He loved it too. Taemin left the living room and entered his bedroom which he once shared with Naeun. Half of the rack in the closet was empty. It had been ever since Naeun left. Taemin sported a familiar shirt of his. 

Naeun wore Taemin's Zepplin shirt on the day they of their first major argument. She left the apartment, wrapped in a black trench coat along with her personal belongings and Taemin's shirt. They only reconciled two days after when he visited her at Apink's dorm. His hands touched the soft material of the cloth, remembering the memory.

 

We're too young, too dumb 
To know things like love
But I know better now 

 

They were young and in love and they were inexperienced. Too young to properly balance their emotions, a relationship and a career. They were just young and naïve humans in love but Taemin had learned so much from his experience with Naeun. He know love wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. He knew there would be really gloomy moments which were inevitable and he knew if he put the effort and patience into it, he would be able to overcome those gloomy moments. But he was young and messed it all up.

 

So I drown it out like I always do
Dancing through our house 
With the ghost of you

 

Taemin suddenly felt his emotions bursting once again. He fell to the ground, sitting there helplessly as the tears left his eyes. Once again, the feeling of heartbreak and loneliness smacking him right in the face. This time, he was drowning in his own misery and tears. 

As he closed his eyes, he could and picture the happy moments of when they would dance around the house together. He could hear the laughter and happiness loud and clear. He could picture the wide smiles on both their faces. He could almost sense the warmth he felt, holding Naeun's body close to his as they waltz through the hallway. 

 

And I chase it down
With a shot of truth
Dancing through our house 
With the ghost of you

 

Taemin's eyes shot open as he tried to calm himself down. The flow of the tears had slowed down rapidly. Taemin stood up and circled around the aimlessly. He slowly got out of the room, following the same route as one of their mini dance routine. He looked up from the floor and into the empty space before him which was once filled with life and laughter. They'd spin three times before waltzing towards the kitchen. Taemin smiled sadly as he was walked down the hallway by himself in the very spot where he used to dance with Naeun.

 

Too young, too dumb
To know things like love
Too young, too dumb

 

The two of them were so passionate but as time passed, the passion started to fade. They thought they would be able to easily withstand the hardships but the hardships easily broke them apart. Taemin found his way back to the kitchen, the same spot where they would end their routine with a kiss. Taemin sat down at the kitchen island again and took a gulp from the wine bottle.

 

So I drown it out like I always do
Dancing through our house 
With the ghost of you

 

He drank and drank, taking huge gulps at a time and not giving himself much time to take a break. He was eager to finish the bottle. The wine only reminded him of what he used to have. Which made him more eager to finish the bottle. 

 

And I chase it down 
With a shot of truth

 

Once the bottle was empty, Taemin was already in a tipsy state of mind. He tried to balance himself but to his dismay, it was really difficult to do it alone. Taemin was smacked with another wave of emotions as he remembered his drunk nights with Naeun.

 

That my feet don't dance 
Like they did with you

 

Taemin sighed loudly and felt the tears fall again.