Final

You Give Me Strength

Jessica glares the screen of laptop while thinking hard for the next sentence. She groans when nothing comes to her mind. She then clicks one of the tabs of Chrome that shows an article and read through it while scrolling. Once she read the Result section, she then rephrase them as citation and typing furiously as if the words would disappear if she is one second late. She groans suddenly and turns her head to her left side where her roommate is sleeping peacefully, too peaceful that she snores loudly.

“Not again”, Jessica mutters under her breath.

She puts on her earphones while opening the Spotify apps in her phone and play random song at the highest volume. She tries to concentrate again. But she still can hears the snoring sound. Jessica grabs her hairs in frustration and groans loudly. She takes a look at the time display at the right bottom of the taskbar and sighs.  

3:43 a.m.

She closes her laptop angrily, not before saving her works that she has completed so far. After putting laptop in her backpack along with her notebook, she stands and quickly puts on her jacket. She turns off the study light and grabs the keys as well as earphones and left her room quickly.

 

 

Jessica turns on the light in Student Lounge and smiles slightly as there is no one in there despite it is examination weeks. She takes a seat on the floor near the plug and turns on her laptop. After reopen the Words and the tabs of Chrome that show different kinds of research articles, Jessica sighs and wishes that she can finishes before noon. The silence in the room distracts her a bit. She pull out earphones from the backpack and looks for her phone.

“What?” She scoffs. “Did I actually left my phone, urghh” She slaps a hand to her forehead.

Jessica opens Spotify web and plugs the earphones in her laptop. “Alright Jung Jessica, lets finish this before 12 p.m. You can do it! Fighting!” With new found spirit, she concentrates on typing again, for next hours.

 

 

12.30 p.m.

Tiffany stands in front of Jessica’s room and knocks the door gently. At the fifth knocks, the door opens and Tiffany smiles. However, her smile drops when the one who opened the door is not someone that she expects to see.

“Hi Tiffany!” Sooyoung, Jessica’s roommate, greets with a smile.

“Hi to you to you,” Tiffany says, but her eyes looking at the back of the girl. “Is Jessi still sleeping?” 

“What? No she’s not here when I am awake this morning.” Sooyoung opens the door a bit wider and let Tiffany enter the room.

“Where did she go?” Tiffany looks at Jessica’s neat bed to her study table that piled with papers.

Sooyoung looks at Tiffany as if she grows two head. “She’s your girlfriend Tiff. Why do you ask me?”

Tiffany turns to Sooyoung. “Duh! Because she’s your roommate!”

“Why don’t you call her?”

“I tried since this morning but she doesn’t pick up.” Tiffany puts a hand on her waist, while her other hand brushes her hairs. “I thought Jessi still sleeping, that’s why I came.”

“Well, maybe she’s out for study group. She has paper two days from now right?”

Tiffany looks at Sooyoung at disbelief, “Jessi? Study group? Really Sooyoung”

“What? I said maybe.” Sooyoung raises both her hands as sign of defeat. She walks to Jessica’s study table and rummages the piles of papers. “She left her phone” Sooyoung says while showing the phone to Tiffany.

Tiffany takes the phone and unlock it. 18 missed calls, all from her since this morning.

“I was awake at 5 and went to washroom. I don’t think Jessica was on her bed. But she was here since late evening.”

“Yeah. We talked last night and she said she was here.” Tiffany sighs and works her brain to think where Jessica could be from dawn. “It’s okay Soo. I will leave now and looks for Jessi. Do text me if she returns okay.”

“Alright Tiff.”

 

 

Tiffany takes a deep breath as she watches the sign on the door. Student Lounge Room. She opens the door and slowly walks in. She looks around. Tiffany blinks and starts to smile, relief. There is the person that she looks for, leaned against the wall with eyes closed and earphones tucked to both ears. Tiffany approaches the figure and sit in front of her. Still smiling, she tucks Jessica’s strand of hairs behind her ear with her right hand. The same hand then gently touches her lover’s cheek. Jessica leans to Tiffany’s hand unconsciously. Tiffany smiles wider, if it even possible as her smile has reaches her eyes at the same moment she saw Jessica.

“Jessi.” Tiffany calls slowly, with her thumb caresses Jessica’s cheek gently. “Jessi, wake up.”

Jessica slowly opens her eyes and blinks several times. She takes off the earphones and looks at Tiffany with blank face. “Tiff?”

“Hi Jessi,” Tiffany smiles, and kiss Jessica’s forehead. She then kisses her.

Jessica closes her eyes and pulls Tiffany closer. Once they pull away, she grabs Tiffany’s hand that on her cheek and slowly intertwines their fingers, and caresses Tiffany’s hand at the same time.

Tiffany smiles at the gesture, then pouts, “I called you since this morning you know.”

Jessica smiles a bit, even though her heartbeat starts to race at the sight of the pout. “I left my phone. I didn’t even realize it, not until I was here.”

“I know. I took it from your room.” Tiffany takes Jessica’s phone from her pocket. “Sooyoung said that you were not on your bed when she awaked at 5. Did you here since then?” 

“Around 4 am maybe. I was trying to complete the FYP but Sooyoung’s snoring chased away all of my ideas.”

Tiffany laughs at that. And Jessica feels her heart lighten with the sound of it.

“Why don’t you come to my room?”

“I don’t want to wake you up.” Jessica lends her head on Tiffany’s shoulder. Their faces are too close now that they can feel each other breathes. Jessica turns her head so that her nose touches Tiffany’s neck and plants soft kisses. Tiffany tilts her head to the side and bits her lips due to the sensation.

“Jessi,” Tiffany whimpers. She gently pushes Jessica and brushes her bangs. She smiles, “You know you can always call me right. I would answer your call anytime”

Jessica smiles and stares at Tiffany lovingly. “I would do the same for you.” She lends forward and kisses the corner of Tiffany’s lips.

Tiffany blushes at that gestures. They have been together for almost one year, yet the small and sweet gestures from Jessica always manage to make her blushes.

“Did you manage to complete your research report?”

Jessica only nods at that. She lends on Tiffany’s shoulder again.

“Tired?” Tiffany gently brushes Jessica’s hairs.

Jessica nods again, against Tiffany’s shoulder. “But I find my strength when I’m with you,” she mumbles.

Tiffany only smiles. They stay silent for few minutes in that position.

“Hey Jessi. Come on, let’s go to my room and you can sleep there. Hmm.”

Jessica raises her head, and looks at Tiffany innocently. “I have paper in two days and haven’t start the revision yet.”

“It’s okay, let’s get you few hours sleep and I will wake you up later. We will have early dinner and start study together. How’s that sound?”

Jessica frowns. “You don’t even have paper until next Friday.”

Tiffany smiles. “I always understand better with you around.”

Jessica chuckles, “you sure know what to say. But I do admit that my mere presence provides insights and inspiration to people”

Tiffany looks at Jessica with narrow eyes, “Conceits much don’t you now.”

Jessica shakes her heads, “It is fact” With the comment, Tiffany hits Jessica’s shoulder.

Jessica fakes her grunts, “It’s hurt, kiss it better my love.”

Tiffany blushes at that nickname. “I don’t even hit it that hard. Don’t fake it you peasant.”

“This peasant needs Princess’s love to get better.”

“Nah. You won’t get any love if you continue this act.”

Jessica pouts. Tiffany looks away to hide her smile. Jessica smiles cheekily before steals a kiss from Tiffany. She then bumps their foreheads lovingly.

“Come on Tiff, let’s go to your room and cuddles more.” And Tiffany blushes even more.