View

Chasing Sunsets

“Hurry up or we won’t make it!” Youngjae yelled while glancing back. You followed him up the steep slope of the mountain, already tired after climbing for over an hour.

“Make it to what?” You asked for probably the fifth time. He just pretended not to hear you and kept going, encouraging you every few steps. How did he have so much energy? You sighed and resigned yourself to just keep following him.

You watched your best friend step around an obstacle on the path from behind. His hair caught the light filtering through the trees beautifully. You tried to figure out what was even going on. You began to think back to earlier in the day. When Youngjae had just suddenly showed up around four in the afternoon, you were pleasantly surprised. Now you were just irritated. The sky was darkening and you were getting a little concerned about how you would find your way back down this small mountain. It wasn’t even really a mountain. More like a giant hill. But whatever; it still wasn’t in your plans for the day to climb for hours in the dark.

Finally catching up to him, you grabbed his hand and made him stop. “Yoo Youngjae, explain what is going on, damn it.”

He looked at you, a slight sparkle in his eyes. It ticked you off that he could be so amused at you right now. He held your hand in return and pulled you along. “We’re almost there. Come on, I don’t want to miss it!” You groaned in frustration and kept walking.

After what felt like forever, you reached the summit. The sun was getting lower in the sky as he pulled you toward the outlook point. The view was beautiful. The city was just beginning to light up; the sunlight reflected off of the nearby river. But the sky was what really caught your eye. The colors were so vivid and yet soft at the same time. Deep blues faded into strong yellows and reds as the sun began to set on the horizon.

Youngjae put his arm around your shoulders comfortably. You could tell that he was proud of himself for getting you to the top in time. You let him have his moment, bringing one arm up to wrap around his waist. The two of you watched the sunset together in silence, enjoying the peace of the moment.

When Youngjae spoke, it was rather quietly, leaning his head close to yours. “Do you like it?”

You nodded, smiling. “Its beautiful.”

“Not as beautiful as you.” You pushed him with your hip while shaking your head. “No, I’m serious! I think you’re gorgeous. You’re kind and amazing and-”

“Ahhhh, stop stop!” You let go of him and covered your ears, getting embarrassed by his words.

Youngjae turned you toward him and held your wrists, moving your hands down so he could hold them. “Alright fine, you’re mean for teasing me too much. You look like a clown. But I love it. I like you a lot.”

You blinked, meeting his gaze. You could tell that he was being sincere. You watched his hair blow softly in the wind as you tried to figure out how to respond. His eyes shone beautifully in the light of the sunset. “You’re a dork.”

“Yah! I’m being serious over here!” He said, finally raising his voice to his normal tone. He looked at you in disbelief as you laughed. “I want you to go out with me.” He said, finally getting out the sentence he had been wanting to say for months. He had been nervous, waiting for the right moment.

You stared at him in disbelief once again.

“Don’t look at me like that. Just answer me!” He was in distress now. Youngjae’s heart beat faster the longer you took to answer him.

You looked down at your now intertwined hands and took a deep breath. When you looked back up into his eyes, they were so worried that you felt a little bad for making him wait. “I like you a lot, too.” You squeezed his hands slightly as your heart beat faster. “I think I could handle dating you.”

Youngjae rolled his eyes but grinned. “I think I’m the one who will have the most trouble. You’re such a pain in the .”

“But I’m your pain in the .” You grinned, leaning in and kissing his nose. He caught your chin with one hand before you could pull away.

“You are.” He chuckled quietly before bringing his lips to yours. You closed your eyes and kissed him back, moving your lips against his with equal force. Your arms wrapped around his waist, pulling him closer. Youngjae held you gently, yet still protectively. As the kiss began to calm down, you sighed and pulled away from him. Opening your eyes slowly, you admired the man in front of you. It was darker now, but you could still see his face clearly. You kissed his lips one more time before moving to hug him tightly, your arms around his neck as you buried your face into him. Youngjae held you close, swaying side to side slightly.

“We should probably get going so that we don’t lose the path in the dark.” You said quietly as you pulled away to find him pouting.

“Alright, fine, let’s go.” Youngjae grabbed your hand, holding it tightly. He began to walk down the path feeling lighter than he had in awhile.

He smiled at you and you grinned back. “Focus on the ground, not me, idiot.”

“Sorry, I can’t help it.” He replied, earning a push from you. You tried not to, but you couldn’t help but smile at this guy who was finally all yours.

★☆★☆★☆