End

of superpowers and ashes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Pay attention to their powers :)

It was one of those lazy nights for iKON, where their schedule had finished during the day and the manager had taken them to their usual restaurant to have dinner together. Approximately at half past eight, all the members had retired into the two dorms, with the exception of Chanwoo who was feeling unwell and had asked their caretaker to drive him to a clinic nearby.

It was like what he had expected, a simple sore throat and an itchy nose, but the doctor threw in a bottle of paracetamol for safety measures as his temperature was above normal. Chanwoo had wanted to ask him for a medicine of a higher dose, seeing how he needed to recover fast as his group had another variety show the day after the next. He decided against it however, thinking that the supplements and painkillers he had back in his room would do him just fine.

He heard a loud commotion as he opened the door to his dorm, and when he walked in, he was greeted with a scene that was familiar yet so distant in memory. There in the middle of the semi-empty living room, were all six of s. Hanbin was on the far left, his leg stretched out onto the ‘L’ space of their couch with a phone in his hand. On his lap was Jinhwan who had his eyes turned towards the television, and Chanwoo could not decide whether the eldest was asleep or actually awake. With Jinhwan lying horizontally, Donghyuk sat at his feet with Yunhyeong on the dancer's right, both chattering with one another about something connected to an old joke.

On the smooth wooden floor laid Bobby, propped up by a single pillow to support his head, a dark blue snapback on the side and he was holding his phone with both hands, his fingers swaying and touching then screen in record time, most probably in the middle of a game. Lastly, Junhoe sat slightly away from Bobby, on a maroon beanbag Chanwoo didn’t know they had in the dorm, with earphones in his ears and a pen in his hand, his back turned away from the television as he scribbled words in his notebook on the coffee table. Poems, Chanwoo deduced.

Yunhyeong, naturally, was the first one to notice him standing stoic in the hallway, “Chanwoo!” he exclaimed and all heads turned towards the maknae. The second oldest stood up and made his way towards the youngest. “You’re back! What took you so long? Wow! why do you have so many medicine?”

“Aish hyung!” Chanwoo fussed as he made his way towards the kitchen with Yunhyeong trailing him from behind. “What do you mean a lot? there are only three,” he explained, pulling out his meds from the plastic bag and putting them in the fridge.

“You sure you’re okay?” asked a worried Yunhyeong, standing by the kitchen door.

The maknae smiled, his annoyed brows gone as he walking past Yunhyeong, “Yeah, hyung, don’t worry,” he reassured before continuing, “why is everyone here anyway?”

“Jinhwan-hyung decided that tonight’s movie night,” Hanbin answered him from a far, eyes still glued onto the screen of his phone, “and apparently, it means movie night for everyone.”

Chanwoo drew his head back slightly, a bit shocked, “Seriously? But he’s already sleeping.”

“I am not,” came Jinhwan’s voice in a murmur, but his eyes were still tightly shut Chanwoo was convinced that he was talking in his sleep.

“Even if he did, he already told us to wake him up when it’s time,” Donghyuk, who was lightly patting Jinhwan’s legs repeatedly, stated. “He’s quite adamant about us watching a movie together.”

Junhoe looked up from his notebook and chuckled, “It kinda , but we have to listen to the eldest. What if he dies tomorrow? This could be his dying wish,” he joked, earning him a kick from Bobby despite still concentrating on his game.

“Koo Junhoe,” the eldest warned, his eyes opening in an intimidating manner, “shut up or you die tonight.”

“Lol, hyung. Chill,” and he was back writing his poems.

“When does the movie start anyway?” asked Chanwoo.

“Whenever you’re ready,” Bobby claimed. “Netflix, so go get your in the shower, kid.”

Yunhyeong shuffled next to the boy, “Go, Chanwoo,” he pressed softly as he returned to his seat next to Donghyuk. “We’ll start the movie once you’ve eaten your meds.”

Deciding that he was too tired to argue and it was kind of pointless to do so, Chanwoo nodded, “Okay,” he said before asking, “and what are we watching?”

“The Avengers: Infinity War,” came all six voices in unison.

 

xxx

 

By the time Chanwoo had returned to the living room, the arrangements had been changed. The coffee table was pushed to the side, leaving a huge space in front of the L-shape couch. Junhoe was still seating on his beanbag but Yunhyeong had replaced Hanbin’s place on the couch, sitting in the same manner the leader did half an hour ago. Donghyuk on the other hand was now sprawled like Jinhwan had been on the remaining horizontal space of the couch.

Surprisingly, there were two king-sized duvets spread on the floor, along with two comforters to match. Pillows too were everywhere, from the one Junhoe’s hugging, to the ones on the couch and about six more on the duvets, where Bobby had stayed in his original position, with Jinhwan in between him and Hanbin, leaving a sole spot for Chanwoo on the far left.

Guess his spot was on the floor then.

“I thought that this was a movie night?” he asked cheekily and made his way next to Hanbin. The leader opened up the comforter a little for the maknae to slide in, which he did.

His question earned him a snort from Junhoe, “Jinhwan-hyung’s idea of a movie night is a downright sleepover.”

“I heard that, ,” Jinhwan warned again, this time throwing a small pillow to the other main singer, in which he threw back right at him.

“Aish, hyung, Junhoe, stop acting like children, will you?” came an annoyed Yunhyeong from behind, getting up slightly just to kick Junhoe’s beanbag.

“Yah! Yunhyeong-hyung! What the hell?!”

“Oh please,” Donghyuk laughed at Junhoe from Yunhyeong’s side, eyeing his same-aged friend in humor. “It wasn’t even that painful. Stop being such a baby.”

“Why is everyone ganging up on me?” Junhoe muttered, and everyone else laughed.

“You started it,” Jinhwan teased again.

Bobby let out a sigh, “Okay guys, if we want to get a decent amount of sleep, the movie has to start now,” he pulled out a remote out of nowhere and started fumbling with the buttons. “Ready?”

Everyone nodded and the movie began.

At the 30 minute mark when a joke about Tony Stark calling a villain Squidward was made, Chanwoo found Hanbin snuggling up to him, the leader’s head on his shoulder and his arms circling his.

The maknae turned his head to the side, “Hyung,” he whispered to the man lying next to him, and when Hanbin averted his gaze from the screen to look at him, Chanwoo continued, “I have a flu, you might get infected.”

“I don’t care,” Hanbin answered, looking back to the television and snuggling closer. “You did take your meds, right?”

“Yeah, but…” Chanwoo had indeed taken all his meds, but the cold breeze in the room wasn’t really helping. He thought that his supplements and painkillers would help, that he would sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow, but it seemed like they were taking quite some time to work.

(He had also taken his sleeping pills, two pills too many actually. He always did have a problem with sleeping when he was sick, but Hanbin didn’t need to know that.)

“Then it should be okay,” said the leader, his hand rubbing the maknae’s hand from under the comforter. “Now shut up before Jinhwan-hyung kills us.”

Chanwoo nodded absentmindedly, hoping that Hanbin would stop latching onto him sometime later because he really didn’t want the elder to be sick, considering he had to be at the studio in the morning, unlike the rest of the members who had a day off. But he didn’t, not even when half of the avengers started fading away into dust, or when Thanos looked back into the horizon of a new land, or when the credits had finished rolling.

The room was in complete silence when the movie had ended, all members in complete shock and in awe despite some of them having already known the ending. Yunhyeong had his mouth agape, still not believing that Scarlet Witch had killed her lover, Vision, for nothing. Donghyuk who was now up and sitting, stared back at the empty screen, his mind wandering off to Tony Stark’s fate, alone in space with nothing but regret, losing the protégé he had considered his own son right in front of him. Junhoe and Bobby were not as affected as the other two, having already watched the movie prior to this movie night.

Instead, they started darting their eyes around the room to observe the members’ reaction, naughty smirks creeping up their faces as they knew that the ending had possibly broken a part of their members' souls, watching some of their favorites die. The leader and the maknae, both whom had watched the movie before and were still glued to each other, laid in silence, waiting for a pin to drop.

Jinhwan was that pin.

“How could Spiderman die?! That was so freaking sad! How could they kill him off like that?! And with dust?! Really?! Oh my God! My heart can’t take this!”

“Hyung, didn’t you already know how this was going to end?” Bobby questioned jokingly, getting up to a sitting position, wrapping his two legs close to his chest. “With all those theory videos you’ve been watching, surely you had already known all these dusting mishaps.”

The eldest got up as well. Pouting, he went, “I know that they were going to die, but I didn’t know it was this heartbreaking. Like what the hell?!” he fumed, turning around to eye everyone else’s reaction. “Iron Man and Spider Man? That kid was legit the closest thing he had to a son and he vanished right in front of him? Seriously? When did Marvel get so dark?”

Nodding, Donghyuk spoke from his spot on the couch, “Can’t forget about Vision and Scarlett Witch though.”

“I know right?!” Yunhyeong wailed and practically lunged himself onto the main dancer, hugging and shaking the poor boy all at the same time. “She killed Vision only to watch him get killed by that douchebag?! My heart is broken, Donghyuk-ah.”

Chanwoo (along with Bobby and Junhoe) found himself laughing at Yunhyeong’s outburst. Donghyuk too look like he was lost, no longer at the movie, but how to calm Yunhyeong down as the guy actually had tears in his eyes.

Getting up (in hopes that Hanbin would let him go, which the leader didn’t, by the way, he actually got up with him), Chanwoo pointed to Yunhyeong, “That was legit how the whole cinema acted. Everyone lost their .”

“Thanos’ power was the , if I may say so myself. I mean, come one! He was too strong the Avengers were all literally ed big time,” Junhoe pointed out, ignoring Yunhyeong’s post-movie crisis. “All he had to do was wear this majestic gauntlet, put all the infinity stones in it and boom, he’s the most powerful guy in the whole universe. That’s so sick.”

Finally releasing the maknae, Hanbin rested his back against the couch right in front of Donghyuk’s knees, “You want to be Thanos then, Junhoe? Wipe out half of the world’s population from existence?”

“Nah, not be him, but you got to admit, he is powerful, even before he got all those stones,” Junhoe paused, his mind pondering onto something before continuing, “but I get your point, Hanbin-hyung, that snapping power is kinda creepy.”

“What kind of powers do you want to have then?” Bobby asked, and right at that moment the rest knew that their movie night had yet to end. A full round of ‘what powers I want to have’ plus ‘what powers you should have’ is on the way.

And they were all extremely excited about it.

“Mind reading,” Junhoe stated proudly, earning a snort from everyone in the room. In fact, Yunhyeong and Donghyuk were already laughing and hugging each other because it was so funny.

“Koo Junhoe and mind reading?” Jinhwan could not believe his ears. “What the hell for?”

“I don’t know,” the second youngest murmured weakly. “Like, wouldn’t it be easier to know what others are thinking? I won’t make any mistakes, I won’t say the wrong words, no feelings would get hurt, no headaches, and I’d get to win at rock, paper and scissors every single time.”

“You just want that power because you’re bad at reading people, Junhoe-ah,” Chanwoo teased, slapping the elder’s thigh lightly.

“Maknae’s right,” Donghyuk supported. “Besides, what do you mean there won’t be any headaches? You’re going to have to listen to everyone’s minds and it’s going to drive you crazy!”

“And bald, definitely bald,” Yunhyeong added, the tears in his eyes now forming no longer because of Vision’s death, but Junhoe’s wish. He was also reminded of the time during their iKON TV shooting when Junhoe had purposely shouted the word ‘bald’ to him when he was about to bowl. “Powerful, but bald. Like Charles Xavier from X-Men.”

“Oh I like him, he’s cool, all wheelchair but still kicks …with his head,” Hanbin acknowledged Yunhyeong and moved his gaze down to Junhoe, “and rock, paper, scissors is a spontaneous game. You usually don’t think of what you’re going to play when you actually play it.”

Junhoe’s eyes were now half-lidded, fully convince that it was his unlucky night as everyone disagreed with literally everything he said, “What should my powers be then?”

“You should be that guy!” Bobby said in an excited tone. He had a vision in mind, but he had forgotten the name. “You know, the guy who represents the sun, music and writes haikus all day. You’re just like him, Junhoe-ah, with your poems and stuff. He even owns his own sweet ride.”

“Which is a chariot,” Jinhwan confirmed from his side, “You mean Apollo?”

“Yeah! Him!”

Yunhyeong furrowed his brows, “From Greek Mythology? But he’s a God.”

 “Thor’s a God,” Hanbin argued, “And he’s an Avenger, guess Apollo could count too.”

“Come to think of it, you are Apollo,” Chanwoo backed up his hyungs. “But if you still want to read minds and be bald, no one’s stopping you.”

That made everyone, excluding Junhoe, laughed out loud. Junhoe, on the other hand, curled deeper into his beanbag and hugged his pillow tighter, “I still want to read minds, and no I won’t be bald, sheesh,” he affirmed, and another wave a laughter erupted. “And you guys? Any powers that you guys want?”

“I want to manipulate time, like Doctor Strange,” Donghyuk chirped and all heads turned to look at him. “I’d also want to go back in time, or to the future, precognition could be useful.”

“And dangerous,” Yunhyeong asserted, “If you see something bad happening in the future, would you try fixing it?”

“Of course! What would be the point of having the power if I don’t do anything to prevent the worst from happening?”

“And what if you can’t prevent the future?” Chanwoo questioned, coughing a bit, the cough medicine he had taken doing practically nothing. “What if something is just meant to be?”

Agreeing with the maknae, Hanbin added, “There’s a reason why things are fated,” he stated in a somewhat far-off voice. “You’re going to be more heartbroken if you try your best to change the future, but still have it being anyway.”

“Sheesh guys, let the kid dream. It’s not like we’re going to get real superpowers,” Jinhwan laughed nervously, not wanting Donghyuk’s mood to go sour, despite everything being just a joke.

Jinhwan gave Bobby a side eye, giving a signal for the rapper to back him up, “To the past then!” Bobby continued, looking back to Donghyuk. “Which moment do you want to go back to the most?”

Apparently, they had worried over nothing, “There are many actually,” Donghyuk beamed, the negative reasoning to time travel by other members never really getting to him. “I could go back to all those time where I lost bets, or back to our trainee days, Mix and Match and WIN, I could eve--”

Junhoe shrieked back in mocked horror, “Why would you want to go back to those nightmares?!”

“Because they were hard,” Donghyuk reasoned, and this was one of the moments when Junhoe wished that he really did have the ability to read minds, because as of the moment, he was absolutely clueless. “There have been many times when I wanted to give up. It’d be nice to have someone who truly knew what I was going through give me a pat on the back and say the words that I truly needed to hear, and who better than the future me?”

“That is some futuristic you have going in your head, Donghyuk-ah,” Bobby chuckled from below, “but yeah, makes sense.”

“And to another time or period? Maybe the Joseon era?” Yunhyeong asked jokingly, and the rest either rolled their eyes or laughed at the sheer amount of ‘dad’ jokes Yunhyeong had stored in his head.

Donghyuk contemplated for a bit, before deciding on a, “Back to when I was a child, I suppose.”

And suddenly the room became gloomy, even Junhoe didn’t have to ask why.

The boy had lost his father when he was young. Though he had remained strong for his mother, managing through his life and being where he was today, he had always missed his dear father who was taken away too soon from his life.

“The memories I have with him become so fuzzy at times that I forget what he was like,” Donghyuk told his six members with a sad smile albeit no sign of tears. “Sometimes, I even forget what he looked like.”

Yunhyeong scooted closer to the boy and rubbed his back while Hanbin patted his right knee in a gentle rhythm. None of them could truly know or fully understand the weight of Donghyuk’s pain, or how much he missed his father, but they were there for him for as long as he needed them. They were his family now, and Donghyuk had six pairs of shoulders to cry on should he ever needed any.

“Okay, enough about me,” he finished off cheerfully, trying to revert s back to their usual banter. “Jinhwan-hyung? Your power would be…?” he ultimately chose the eldest, because he was a good kid with manners.

And Jinhwan had been practically shouting “Me next! Me next!” with his eyes.

“A shield,” the eldest proclaimed, his hands clasping together and his eyes staring off past the high windows to the night sky.

Junhoe got confused, again, “A shield? Like Captain America?”

“That’s a weapon, not a power,” Chanwoo clarfied.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter